Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Coronavirus effect on football

Read 166330 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Re: Coronavirus effect on football
      Reply #1748: Jun 05, 2020 05:01:20 pm
      There's not going to be any sort of public celebration for a while, I think most who head to Anfield won't even be doing so to celebrate, it'll just be the "Look at Me" dickheads who want to get on the telly

Anybody I've spoke to about it has said they're not going to. Best I'm hoping for is that restrictions are eased a bit so that I can have mate or two around to watch us clinch it

Hoping there's something further down the line. It won't be the same & the novelty will have worn off a bit, but it's the best we can hope for

Exactly the same mate, every match-going red I know saying the same, also same lads plus myself are all of the same feeling that everyone not connected with the club are wanting this to happen to say "see we said they could not be trusted"

Planning a family piss up, watch us win the league, then in the back garden and light the night sky red.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #1749: Jun 05, 2020 05:02:52 pm
      It's unavoidable. FA Cup in between.

I think the most we'll get is a "celebration" like what Salzburg got last week for winning their cup. No fans in the stadium, no fanfare on the pitch, no fun for the players. Sign of the times.

I thought the days where the players got their medals in a box in the back of the dressing room were long gone. But if the restrictions keep up, it might just be the extent of the team's celebrations this year.

We just need a reincarnation of Ronnie Moran telling the players the medals mean F**k all and to go out and prove it again.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #1750: Jun 06, 2020 11:17:54 am
      Exactly the same mate, every match-going red I know saying the same, also same lads plus myself are all of the same feeling that everyone not connected with the club are wanting this to happen to say "see we said they could not be trusted"

Planning a family piss up, watch us win the league, then in the back garden and light the night sky red.

Yeah, deffo. You know there'll be a few knobheads at least who do it and you'll get all the bluenoses acting high & mighty as though similar wouldn't happen if it was anybody else

And anyway, if you're still sober enough to get in your car and drive to Anfield after we've just clinched our first league title in 3 decades then you're not doing it right at all!

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #1751: Jun 06, 2020 02:24:51 pm
      Without football you realise how sh*t weekend TV really is
      tq redz
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 81 posts | 14 
      Reply #1752: Jun 06, 2020 02:50:31 pm

Isn't Columbo on.  :lmao:
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #1753: Jun 06, 2020 03:10:01 pm
      Quote from FATKOPITE10

Germany Portugal Denmark and Poland all in action this weekend, Italy and Spain next, then the EPL. There's 4 live Bundesliga games atm.

It's already getting back to the daily routine diet of live games we were used to, before the break.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #1754: Jun 06, 2020 03:19:48 pm

First weekend ever it's not on.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #1755: Jun 06, 2020 03:20:40 pm
      Germany Portugal Denmark and Poland all in action this weekend, Italy and Spain next, then the EPL. There's 4 live Bundesliga games atm.

It's already getting back to the daily routine diet of live games we were used to, before the break.

I know, such a relief to have it back.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #1756: Jun 06, 2020 06:17:29 pm

It's absolutely grim mate.

Thank F**k for Netflix, Prime and Disney+ is all I can say.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #1757: Jun 06, 2020 06:21:27 pm
      It's absolutely grim mate.

Thank f**k for Netflix, Prime and Disney+ is all I can say.

And Spotify & Lager!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #1758: Jun 06, 2020 06:21:48 pm
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      Reply #1759: Jun 06, 2020 06:32:53 pm
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,092 posts | 1632 
      Reply #1760: Jun 06, 2020 07:34:22 pm
      Last Dance is quality on Netflix MJ what a winner he was
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #1761: Jun 06, 2020 07:42:59 pm
      Last Dance is quality on Netflix MJ what a winner he was

Already watched that, superb doc and his attitude is that of a born winner.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1763: Jun 07, 2020 12:05:38 am

If the clubs are giving money back to Sky and BT are they then not getting paid for these final 9 games, what the hell kind of deal is this?
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #1764: Jun 07, 2020 06:19:09 am
      I was just thinking about how this has affected football, and it has affected every team, but do you think some teams have secretly got lucky with it?
      I’m looking at Chelsea, and although their last couple years have been a bit meh with the whole transfer bans, it forced them to go young, and now with the pandemic, all those teams that have been spending the last couple years, can’t, and they can, they could build a dangerous little team and have a pick at anyone who wants to leave their club etc... I think their one of the teams this could benefit, in a weird way.
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #1765: Jun 07, 2020 10:21:00 am
      I was just thinking about how this has affected football, and it has affected every team, but do you think some teams have secretly got lucky with it?
      I’m looking at Chelsea, and although their last couple years have been a bit meh with the whole transfer bans, it forced them to go young, and now with the pandemic, all those teams that have been spending the last couple years, can’t, and they can, they could build a dangerous little team and have a pick at anyone who wants to leave their club etc... I think their one of the teams this could benefit, in a weird way.
      Agree with this, also it benefited spurs short team because their squad had been decimated with injuries now they’re all fit they can mount a late push for top 4
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #1766: Jun 07, 2020 12:19:17 pm
      If this is long term, I sense industry revenue coming off and that would impact wages negatively.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #1767: Jun 07, 2020 01:36:16 pm

Unfortunately you are absolutely right. Chelsea is going to benefit from this. And likely Man City because their owners don’t really care about tossing in their own cash. We will need Klopp magic more than ever since I doubt we will be doing much in the transfer market.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1768: Jun 07, 2020 01:48:24 pm
      Unfortunately you are absolutely right. Chelsea is going to benefit from this. And likely Man City because their owners don’t really care about tossing in their own cash. We will need Klopp magic more than ever since I doubt we will be doing much in the transfer market.

Good job we have some very talented youngsters coming through the ranks then, although next season is probably a bit to early for most of them. Having said that I can see Curtis Jones and perhaps Elliott getting some more minutes along with Neco Williams.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #1769: Jun 07, 2020 02:36:27 pm

It underscores that things change very quickly in football. That's why I'm reluctant to get on board with dynasty talk. Yes we have some positive factors that bode well for our future, but all the parts are moving. Nothing remains the same. One season's player of the century is another's unproductive malcontent. Games are still won on pitches, not spreadsheets.

But we have Jürgen.
      « Last Edit: Jun 07, 2020 06:48:00 pm by Robby The Z »
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #1770: Jun 07, 2020 02:49:04 pm
      And likely Man City because their owners don’t really care about tossing in their own cash.

And oil prices have crashed. To add to their woes...

Quick Reply