Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Coronavirus effect on football

Read 166271 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Re: Coronavirus effect on football
      Reply #1794: Jun 16, 2020 05:27:45 pm
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1795: Jun 17, 2020 02:38:30 pm
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #1796: Jul 09, 2020 01:59:27 pm
      Was reading in the Athletic that the club are looking into a software which is currently under trial in Germany that could allow fans back into the stadium to some extent. Dortmund are currently trialing the software with a view to starting to phase spectators back into the stadium for next season, apparently the plan is to start off by playing matches at 30% capacity. Didn't go too much into the ins and outs of the software but it consists of cameras which check temperatures and when inside the stadium also works as a crowd management tool and alerts stewards if people aren't keeping their distance. Will cost around £90k a game to roll out which to be fair is a drop in the ocean compared to what the club could make from ticket sales, refreshments and merchandise on a matchday, even at a reduced capacity.

Presume Germany will be taking the lead with this as they did with the return of football so will have to wait and see how things turn out over there. Will be interesting to see how it would work at Anfield, if we're still adhering to the 1M rule by then I'd be surprised if they manage to get 30% capacity. As the crow flies I'd say for a rough estimate there's probably about 12 people who you'd be within a meter of in a standard Anfield seat so I'm unsure how they'd manage to get anywhere close to 30% if they'd have to take over 10 tickets away for each person they let in. Then you've got the unfortunate job of deciding who gets in and who doesn't. I think just over 50% of the Anfield capacity belongs to season ticket holders, so it would be very likely that a lot of season ticket holders won't be allowed to attend at least certain fixtures. Then you've got members who don't have season tickets but have built up loyalty over the years and by doing so have not missed a fixture in decades, I imagine they wouldn't be too happy being told that they don't qualify for certain games.

I'd just be happy to see a crowd back in some extent as I think our game, more than most, benefits from having a crowd due to the ebb & flow nature & intensity of our game. Whether distanced crowds would have much of an effect is probably up for debate (can imagine a lot of people would feel a bit weird basically singing on their own) but It'd be a step in the right direction at least
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1797: Jul 14, 2020 05:46:25 am
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #1798: Jul 14, 2020 12:47:48 pm
      Was reading in the Athletic that the club are looking into a software which is currently under trial in Germany that could allow fans back into the stadium to some extent. Dortmund are currently trialing the software with a view to starting to phase spectators back into the stadium for next season, apparently the plan is to start off by playing matches at 30% capacity. Didn't go too much into the ins and outs of the software but it consists of cameras which check temperatures and when inside the stadium also works as a crowd management tool and alerts stewards if people aren't keeping their distance. Will cost around £90k a game to roll out which to be fair is a drop in the ocean compared to what the club could make from ticket sales, refreshments and merchandise on a matchday, even at a reduced capacity.

Presume Germany will be taking the lead with this as they did with the return of football so will have to wait and see how things turn out over there. Will be interesting to see how it would work at Anfield, if we're still adhering to the 1M rule by then I'd be surprised if they manage to get 30% capacity. As the crow flies I'd say for a rough estimate there's probably about 12 people who you'd be within a meter of in a standard Anfield seat so I'm unsure how they'd manage to get anywhere close to 30% if they'd have to take over 10 tickets away for each person they let in. Then you've got the unfortunate job of deciding who gets in and who doesn't. I think just over 50% of the Anfield capacity belongs to season ticket holders, so it would be very likely that a lot of season ticket holders won't be allowed to attend at least certain fixtures. Then you've got members who don't have season tickets but have built up loyalty over the years and by doing so have not missed a fixture in decades, I imagine they wouldn't be too happy being told that they don't qualify for certain games.

I'd just be happy to see a crowd back in some extent as I think our game, more than most, benefits from having a crowd due to the ebb & flow nature & intensity of our game. Whether distanced crowds would have much of an effect is probably up for debate (can imagine a lot of people would feel a bit weird basically singing on their own) but It'd be a step in the right direction at least

Definitely agree that we lose a little more oomph when our supporters are absent.  I've seen a few public events now where those in attendance are kept apart from one another. I think for English football in general that is going to be a difficult task.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1799: Jul 16, 2020 03:45:06 pm
      Definitely agree that we lose a little more oomph when our supporters are absent.  I've seen a few public events now where those in attendance are kept apart from one another. I think for English football in general that is going to be a difficult task.

I think the bigger issue for us are the water breaks, for whatever reason other teams seem to use them to gee themselves up, whilst we take the foot off the gas, it is water in our bottles isn't it, and not a cheeky beer ;-).

For example yesterday first half we were in complete control up to the water break then we relaxed a bit, they pressed a bit more and we messed up twice, end of story.  I am convinced that in that game without a water break we would have gone in half time 2 goals up, but that's no excuse.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #1800: Jul 17, 2020 01:18:12 pm
      Fans could be able to return to stadiums in England from October, says Prime Minister Boris Johnson.

Pilots will take place from 1 August but any stadium reopenings would be subject to coronavirus guidelines.

Some sports, including football and cricket, have resumed behind closed doors after the Covid-19 lockdown.

"We will pilot larger gatherings in venues like sports stadiums with a view to a wider reopening in the autumn," said Johnson on Friday.

"From October, we intend to bring back audiences in stadiums.

"Again, these changes must be done in a Covid-secure way, subject to the successful outcome of pilots."

The pilot projects will be held at:

Two men's county cricket friendly matches - including Surrey v Middlesex at The Oval on 26-27 July;
          The World Snooker Championship at Sheffield's Crucible Theatre from 31 July;
          The Goodwood horse racing festival - known as Glorious Goodwood - on 1 August.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #1801: Jul 17, 2020 03:25:22 pm
      Quote from Robby The Z

We beat 3 teams with a crowd, have scored 11 goals with no crowd, the players train everyday with no crowd. It's their job to play games, with or without a crowd.

Other leagues can easily accommodate restricted crowds, as they are not usually sell outs anyway. In England and other major leagues however, that is not possible, so the players just have to get out there and make the best of it. It's the same for everyone.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #1802: Jul 17, 2020 04:15:48 pm
      We beat 3 teams with a crowd, have scored 11 goals with no crowd, the players train everyday with no crowd. It's their job to play games, with or without a crowd.

Other leagues can easily accommodate restricted crowds, as they are not usually sell outs anyway. In England and other major leagues however, that is not possible, so the players just have to get out there and make the best of it. It's the same for everyone.

Sure it's possible. Anything is possible if you have smart people putting their heads together to come up with reasonable solutions.

If fans aren't reintroduced in some manner by this fall, it's because the "powers that be" are too lazy to figure out how to do it in a reasonable way.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #1803: Jul 17, 2020 04:36:04 pm
      Fans could be able to return to stadiums in England from October, says Prime Minister Boris Johnson.

Pilots will take place from 1 August but any stadium reopenings would be subject to coronavirus guidelines.

Some sports, including football and cricket, have resumed behind closed doors after the Covid-19 lockdown.

"We will pilot larger gatherings in venues like sports stadiums with a view to a wider reopening in the autumn," said Johnson on Friday.

"From October, we intend to bring back audiences in stadiums.

"Again, these changes must be done in a Covid-secure way, subject to the successful outcome of pilots."

The pilot projects will be held at:

Two men's county cricket friendly matches - including Surrey v Middlesex at The Oval on 26-27 July;
          The World Snooker Championship at Sheffield's Crucible Theatre from 31 July;
          The Goodwood horse racing festival - known as Glorious Goodwood - on 1 August.

Be surprised if it was anything over 15k to begin with. Probably have to start off by allowing STH in on a rotational basis
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #1804: Jul 17, 2020 05:00:18 pm
      Be surprised if it was anything over 15k to begin with. Probably have to start off by allowing STH in on a rotational basis

I'd think something like that, with maybe staggered arrival times depending on where seating is. Surely they can figure something like that to start with to determine how it goes.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1805: Jul 17, 2020 05:27:32 pm
      Are they actually trying to create a second wave?

Since it's the tories, probably, yes.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #1806: Jul 17, 2020 05:49:05 pm
      Are they actually trying to create a second wave?

Since it's the tories, probably, yes.

I'd argue you'd be much safer attending a football match at a greatly reduced capacity than you would be going to a pub, gym or non-essential shopping centre
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1807: Jul 17, 2020 06:18:52 pm
      I'd argue you'd be much safer attending a football match at a greatly reduced capacity than you would be going to a pub, gym or non-essential shopping centre

Maybe, but the point I made still stands.

It's not about the relative merits of the various venues, but about how quickly everything is being opened.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #1808: Jul 18, 2020 11:10:13 am

L Postcodes only ;)
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #1809: Jul 18, 2020 12:17:50 pm

Hope the upper corners of the Main are still open for me & the rest of the £9 ultras!
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #1810: Jul 18, 2020 12:30:18 pm
      Do you remember in the beginning when they said going to major events was fine, oh for the heady days of march!

Was mad how quickly everything changed. I remember the first few days of lockdown thinking that Atletico game seemed like a world away, it was only about a week or so prior!
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #1811: Jul 21, 2020 10:05:36 pm
      Can't believe they are still insisting that Liverpool fans do not celebrate, yet they continue to allow other large public gatherings.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #1812: Jul 23, 2020 08:24:11 pm
      Not sure where to put this and I know it won't make a difference, but for all that has been said and written about what happened outside Anfield last night, I do think it is fair to point out that the SOMEBODY left a tonne of trash on the ground for SOMEONE ELSE to clean up. Celebrating doesn't mean you can treat whoever had to clean that up so poorly.

Just noticed that from the cleanup scenes this morning. Leaving all that rubbish was low class.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #1813: Jul 31, 2020 01:13:28 pm
      https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/53610375

Spectators now won't be allowed to attend the "pilot" sporting events which were scheduled to take place over the weekend. Wonder if this will push back the October date for when Johnson said fans would be able to return to stadia "some form"? Looking a bit less likely now with all the recent spikes
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #1814: Aug 01, 2020 05:42:59 am

Spectators now won't be allowed to attend the "pilot" sporting events which were scheduled to take place over the weekend. Wonder if this will push back the October date for when Johnson said fans would be able to return to stadia "some form"? Looking a bit less likely now with all the recent spikes
      Can see it being pushed back myself for the reason you mentioned mate about the spikes.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1815: Aug 01, 2020 11:00:37 pm

What spike, where's the data of a spike? There is a tiny uptick in cases.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #1816: Aug 01, 2020 11:24:59 pm
      What spike, where's the data of a spike? There is a tiny uptick in cases.

The spikes that have caused the likes of Leicester, Blackburn, Bradford & Greater Manchester to enforce stricter measures and /or go back into lockdown

Quick Reply