Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Coronavirus effect on football

Read 166417 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Re: Coronavirus effect on football
      Reply #1840: Sep 04, 2020 06:02:02 pm
      Went to that with my grandad

November 91 if I remember right we had early and late goals in the game which always help the atmosphere,  Molby and Walters if i remember rightly ,Mike Marsh with the other

Have a vague recollection of a really weird kick off time of it as well

If I remember rightly I'm sure it was something like 7.15pm.

Went with my dad, dad and lad tickets in the virtually empty anny rd.

Christ even though I thought stepover Walters wasn't that good, he knocked in a couple of important winners for us.
      Kopite78
      Reply #1841: Sep 04, 2020 06:06:21 pm
      If I remember rightly I'm sure it was something like 7.15pm.

Went with my dad, dad and lad tickets in the virtually empty anny rd.

Christ even though I thought stepover Walters wasn't that good, he knocked in a couple of important winners for us.

Yeah apart from the Kop I remember it being fairly gappy everywhere.
      We were in the Kemlyn, where his ticket was.

Also have vague recollections of their fans being s bit mad and trying to get on the pitch a few times  I'd just turned 13 the month before and this was the first match I'd gone to since my birthday I think

Know what you mean about Walter's, very underwhelming, whenever I think of him I only really recall as a positive the Blackburn game which was the same season I think?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #1842: Sep 04, 2020 06:09:38 pm
      Yeah apart from the Kop I remember it being fairly gappy everywhere.
      We were in the Kemlyn, where his ticket was.

Also have vague recollections of their fans being s bit mad and trying to get on the pitch a few times  I'd just turned 13 the month before and this was the first match I'd gone to since my birthday I think

Know what you mean about Walter's, very underwhelming, whenever I think of him I only really recall as a positive the Blackburn game which was the same season I think?

Haha the two pitch-invaders we got fined for!!

And scoring against the mancs to cost them the league and the joyous "Always look on the bright side of life" being  rammed down their throats.

Who knew?
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #1843: Sep 08, 2020 08:58:34 am
      Hopefully those Manc partiers didn't get Trent and Joe sick.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #1844: Sep 08, 2020 09:20:10 am
      Hopefully those Manc partiers didn't get Trent and Joe sick.

Considering there is almost zero covid in Iceland it seems unlikely but then again these girls would be the type who would be "Typhoid Mary's"
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #1845: Sep 08, 2020 01:25:45 pm
      https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2020/sep/08/david-squires-on-things-to-look-forward-to-2020-21-premier-league-season

In the frame with Marcus Rashford in it, the comment re CoVid from the old man had me almost in tears laughing. Maybe it is sleep deprivation, but I thought it was especially funny.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #1846: Sep 08, 2020 01:56:54 pm
      https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2020/sep/08/david-squires-on-things-to-look-forward-to-2020-21-premier-league-season

In the frame with Marcus Rashford in it, the comment re CoVid from the old man had me almost in tears laughing. Maybe it is sleep deprivation, but I thought it was especially funny.

Very funny because it's very true. You could imagine some cynical Daily Mail reader coming out with that exact type of comment
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #1847: Sep 10, 2020 10:15:20 am
      The Scum have their full accounting numbers for 2019-20  coming out imminently.
      With their debt load it should make for interesting reading without the turnstile and broadcast revenue due to CV 19.
      Those two alone make up 50% of their income.
      Their quarterly reports as on their website make for unhappy reading already this year.
      « Last Edit: Sep 10, 2020 10:29:56 am by MIRO »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #1848: Sep 11, 2020 04:16:04 pm
      Fans back in stadiums for the Belgian League this weekend.  1/3rd capacities.  Anderlecht should get about 6,000 in.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #1849: Sep 11, 2020 05:35:28 pm
      Fans back in stadiums for the Belgian League this weekend.  1/3rd capacities.  Anderlecht should get about 6,000 in.

NFL had a game last night with 17000 fans. Guess we will see if there's an issue in a few weeks time, but I have a sneaking suspicion that people gathering outdoors isn't really a determining factor for spread.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #1850: Sep 11, 2020 05:52:45 pm
      NFL had a game last night with 17000 fans. Guess we will see if there's an issue in a few weeks time, but I have a sneaking suspicion that people gathering outdoors isn't really a determining factor for spread.

I agree.

I watched the game last night and it was quite strange to see so many people in a stadium, albeit still way below capacity, but definitely a move forward.

Only the Chiefs and Jaguars I believe though will have fans at the stadium this season?
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #1851: Sep 11, 2020 06:12:52 pm
      Premier League urges government not to back off on the October 1 date for a return of spectators.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/sep/11/no-reason-to-delay-return-of-fans-premier-league-tells-government

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #1852: Sep 11, 2020 08:14:11 pm
      I agree.

I watched the game last night and it was quite strange to see so many people in a stadium, albeit still way below capacity, but definitely a move forward.

Only the Chiefs and Jaguars I believe though will have fans at the stadium this season?

Jerry Jones said that Cowboys home games will have fans. I wouldn’t go against anything he says. 😂

I believe Dolphins and Bengals will also have fans for at least some games.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #1853: Sep 11, 2020 11:29:26 pm
      I agree.

For the first weekend, yes. It was nice to hear authentic crowd noise and not the recorded stuff.

Here in Indianapolis, the local authorities have decided that the team can only bring in 2,500 people in a 70,000 seat stadium and still be safe.  :(

I believe the word is "arbitrary."
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #1854: Oct 09, 2020 07:27:12 am
      So how many of our squad stayed home from the internationals due to covid. Any at all ?

It certainly seems to have spiked massively with the general public, so just wondered.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #1855: Oct 09, 2020 10:09:54 am
      International football is crazy during a worldwide pandemic, ffs. should have just cancelled all internationals till 2021.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #1856: Oct 09, 2020 11:11:04 am
      International football is crazy during a worldwide pandemic, ffs. should have just cancelled all internationals till 2021.

It is and trying to squeeze in every single game that was due to be played this season into a tighter schedule also doesn't seem to be the brightest idea.

AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #1857: Oct 09, 2020 12:08:20 pm
      Especially the friendlies... I mean travelling the world right now even for important fixtures seems unnecessary... but a match with no significance in any way? I don’t know how they’ve gone forward and been allowed to be played...
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #1858: Oct 09, 2020 08:07:31 pm
      Quote from AlwaysTheKop
      Especially the friendlies... I mean travelling the world right now even for important fixtures seems unnecessary... but a match with no significance in any way? I don’t know how they’ve gone forward and been allowed to be played...

Every team needs friendlies, more so the managers. We went to Austria for ours, and played a game with 1k+ fans present. Apart from one staff member, everyone went and came home safely. How many have said we should have started the season cold, with no friendlies? It's the same for the national teams.

16 of the sides who didn't already qualify for the Euros, have 3 competitive games this week, flying from one end of Europe to another and back again, in effectively a dry run of the Euro arrangements themselves. Their playoffs have already been postponed twice. 8 will have 3 more competitive games next month. They're not friendlies and must go ahead at some point, even if their squads are depleted. If not now, when?
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #1859: Oct 09, 2020 08:47:34 pm
      £14.99 PPV... 😡
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #1860: Oct 09, 2020 08:59:58 pm
      Interesting to see how the first crowds at international games allowed under the new regulations, have behaved.

Everyone wore facemasks during the games. Consequently, there was no singing, no chanting, no complaints at the players, no protesting at the officials decisions, no jumping around when goals were scored, more a gentle round of applause, and obviously no atmosphere.

I think some people are under the impression when crowds are allowed back into league games, that everything will return to normal. In reality, it could cause more issues than it solves.
      « Last Edit: Oct 09, 2020 09:17:55 pm by lfc across the water »
      saille29
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,483 posts | 240 
      Reply #1861: Oct 09, 2020 10:38:51 pm
      Boiled my piss that, hope everyone abstains from the money grabbing bas**rds

rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,094 posts | 1633 
      Reply #1862: Oct 09, 2020 10:48:58 pm
      Only one club voted against Leicester

Quick Reply