Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Coronavirus effect on football

Read 166287 times
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Re: Coronavirus effect on football
      Reply #1955: Jan 13, 2021 08:15:35 am
      Quote from FL Red
      Surprised it hasn’t been stopped already l but I’m wondering if this is looked at as something that is essential to the economy and also people’s mental well being so they are trying their best to keep it going?

I mean if you look at it just by case numbers it’s odd that the season was halted before when numbers where much lower than they are now. It’s weird how perspectives have changed.

The sport must continue as there is simply no other space to play games in the calendar.  There are 2 major international tournaments in the summer which won't be postponed again, followed by the Olympics, and all the demands on players that come with that. The tournaments might be restricted to one country, behind closed doors if necessary, but they will go ahead.

There are procedures and rules to deal with the virus now. There was nothing in place when the sport was closed down last year. No testing, no protocols, no guidelines. Now there are, and if everyone follows them, the risk of outbreaks is reduced. Forfeiting games would make players think again about travelling hundreds of miles to attend house parties. While Celtic still thought that travelling to the UAE this year, as they would any other January, was a wise thing to do. Clearly when Sturgeon said she gave Scottish football the yellow card after the teams players went on long haul flights at the start of the season, nobody at the club was listening.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #1956: Jan 15, 2021 09:09:31 am
      I hope that our Brazillian trio have all their immediate families over here safe and well.
      Fabs, Bobby and Allison will have to holiday down Formby beach for a little while longer until this new covid strain is sussed out.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #1957: Jan 15, 2021 12:24:54 pm

Sort of a blanket term for a serial curtain twitcher / complainer
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #1958: Feb 23, 2021 04:37:17 pm
      According to the recent roadmap, am I right in thinking it'll be full capacity for the start of next season if all goes to plan?

Suppose it's a big "if", like...
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #1959: Feb 23, 2021 06:20:49 pm
      According to the recent roadmap, am I right in thinking it'll be full capacity for the start of next season if all goes to plan?

Suppose it's a big "if", like...

Yep - and hopefully we will have at least 10k fans at Anfield for the last game
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #1960: Feb 23, 2021 10:44:42 pm
      Sort of a blanket term for a serial curtain twitcher / complainer

Ask someone named Karen what they think to it. Your ears may ring for a while...

MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #1961: Feb 23, 2021 10:45:38 pm

A bit early for that call, but fingers crossed...

TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #1962: Feb 24, 2021 01:02:58 pm

Belter. Will have to build my fingers up between now & the summer for the July bulk sale!
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #1963: Feb 24, 2021 02:21:31 pm
      Bittersweet about the fans being back, delighted obviously but also a bit pissed that after 30 years waiting our fans couldnt be there but this years winners will have 10k behind them.

Next season 55 thousand in celebrating number 20.

Speaking of Anfield cant see the Anny road development going ahead until a lter date anyway
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #1964: Feb 24, 2021 02:46:14 pm
      Bittersweet about the fans being back, delighted obviously but also a bit pissed that after 30 years waiting our fans couldnt be there but this years winners will have 10k behind them.

Next season 55 thousand in celebrating number 20.

Speaking of Anfield cant see the Anny road development going ahead until a lter date anyway

Was revised plans published in the Echo today about them re routing Anfield Road so hopefully it hasn't been put on the backburner
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #1965: Feb 24, 2021 03:18:53 pm
      Was revised plans published in the Echo today about them re routing Anfield Road so hopefully it hasn't been put on the backburner

Cant see them forking the money into this at the minute with no matchday revenue there. Im only guessing of course
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #1966: Feb 24, 2021 03:24:07 pm
      Cant see them forking the money into this at the minute with no matchday revenue there. Im only guessing of course

It may have already been set aside/invested. I expect this will go through when the actual construction work is allowed.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #1967: Feb 24, 2021 03:31:43 pm
      It may have already been set aside/invested. I expect this will go through when the actual construction work is allowed.

Yeah fair point
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #1968: Mar 13, 2021 01:36:37 pm
      Premier League chief says 2 billion lost due to pandemic (also says they are hoping to have a "normal" next season, including full stadia) - from The Guardian:

Richard Masters, the chief executive of the Premier League, has admitted the current season has proved “brutal” for top-flight clubs and warned of a financial loss heading “towards £2bn”.

Speaking on the anniversary of the suspension of England’s top league, Masters reflected on the impact of the pandemic on football and looked forward to the return of fans, with the aspiration being a “normal Premier League” from the start of next season.

“It’s been a hell of a journey,” Masters said. “

We had to get the 2019-20 season finished. That felt like more of a sprint, and this season has been a long haul, getting to this point.

“The schedule that we’ve put in front of the clubs and the players is pretty brutal: they’re playing a full Premier League fixture list, European competitions, two cup competitions as well, all in a truncated period.”

Masters, speaking to Premier League Productions, confirmed he expected the Premier League’s financial losses to have reached “towards £2bn” by the end of the season. But with the government releasing a roadmap that could result in crowds of up to 10,000 being allowed into grounds for the final two matches of the season, there was cause for optimism.

“We can see the end of the season on the horizon; we’re really looking forward to that moment, hopefully with the fans back,” said Masters. “From next season our goal is to have full stadia. There’s a lot of water to pass under the bridge before that can happen but that’s our ultimate goal.”
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #1969: Mar 13, 2021 04:34:17 pm
      Full stadia by August? not buying it, but would love for it to happen.

What i didn't get when there were 2,000 fans allowed a couple months back is that they would all be in the same area/stand. Why not spread them over the entire stadium so that they are truly "social distanced"? and if you could have 2,000 in a section of the stadium, why couldn't you have another 2,000 in the opposite section where (presumably) they would have separate entrances, concessions, bathrooms, etc?
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #1970: Mar 13, 2021 05:35:51 pm

What i didn't get when there were 2,000 fans allowed a couple months back is that they would all be in the same area/stand. Why not spread them over the entire stadium so that they are truly "social distanced"? and if you could have 2,000 in a section of the stadium, why couldn't you have another 2,000 in the opposite section where (presumably) they would have separate entrances, concessions, bathrooms, etc?

Public transport or congested streets perhaps?
      Not really sure. The entire lockdown has been full of contradictions.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #1971: Mar 13, 2021 06:59:23 pm

Contradictions and a whole lot of ARBITRARY standard setting re distances, time period, numbers, etc. Not saying there is no science, of course there is, but too often I feel like governments are just assigning policies in a subjective, making-it-up as you go kind of way. Now what I keep hearing from them is the phrase "the science is evolving."

I'm going to hold out hope on a close-to-normal return for late summer.
      Jimsouse67

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #1972: Mar 14, 2021 07:17:54 am

Yeah I never understood the 2.000 rule myself,as you say you could have easily had another 500  in the anny road and maybe another 500 in the centenary & main stand,if they had  concerns over social distancing  then they could have staggered the leaving of the fans which they already do on normal match days anyway.
      Jimsouse67

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #1973: Mar 14, 2021 07:32:57 am
      Public transport was one of main reasons
      Nigel Huddleston( U.K. sports secretary ) gave when he was asked why only 2.000 fans.but there was loads of coaches & I imagine the drivers ( furloughed I imagine ) of the coaches laying idle that could have possibly been used in addition to the busses or at least relieved the reduced capacity enforced  on the buses due to social distancing measures.
       I live just off one of the main arterial routes used to get to & from anfield but with the sheer volume of people shielding & working from home at the time congestion caused by commuters was at a minimum.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #1974: Mar 14, 2021 01:45:39 pm
      Yeah I never understood the 2.000 rule myself,as you say you could have easily had another 500  in the anny road and maybe another 500 in the centenary & main stand,if they had  concerns over social distancing  then they could have staggered the leaving of the fans which they already do on normal match days anyway.

It conveniently was the figure of most capacities of theatres in the west end.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #1975: Mar 14, 2021 01:45:49 pm
      Public transport was one of main reasons
      Nigel Huddleston( U.K. sports secretary ) gave when he was asked why only 2.000 fans.but there was loads of coaches & I imagine the drivers ( furloughed I imagine ) of the coaches laying idle that could have possibly been used in addition to the busses or at least relieved the reduced capacity enforced  on the buses due to social distancing measures.
       I live just off one of the main arterial routes used to get to & from anfield but with the sheer volume of people shielding & working from home at the time congestion caused by commuters was at a minimum.

Is the regular bus service in the city running at reduced  capacity these days?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #1976: Mar 14, 2021 01:49:27 pm
      Is the regular bus service in the city running at reduced  capacity these days?

Most are yes, most as in more than one regular bus service!! Majority have a card stuck on drivers door with how many are allowed on. It has increased from the number they were allowing on this time last year.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #1977: Mar 23, 2021 07:54:36 pm
      Dear season ticket holder,

Firstly, and most importantly, I hope that you and your family are well despite the unprecedented challenges that we have faced over the last twelve months.

Speaking for all of us at Liverpool Football Club, I can confidently say that each and every one of us has missed each and every one of you and we have been counting down the days until we can welcome you back to Anfield.

The good news is that, subject to the ongoing easing of restrictions as outlined in the government’s roadmap, that day is approaching, and we look forward with great anticipation to being able to welcome supporters back to Anfield in the coming months. 

Initially, the hope is that 10,000 fans will be able to attend the final fixture of this season on 23rd May. The logistics for the match are still being worked on and health considerations will be critical to our planning, just as they were when much smaller crowds were allowed during the winter. The safety of all our fans, staff and players has and always will remain our main priority.

As chief executive, I am proud of the way we, as a club, staged those games in conditions that were new and challenging for everyone and I am equally proud of the way our supporters responded. The backing that the team received earned widespread plaudits but equally impressive was the co-operation, understanding and good judgement shown by those fans who attended. 

It is as a result of this kind of collaboration that we look forward to what lies ahead with great hope and a heightened sense of anticipation. The day that Anfield plays host to a full house once again will be a great one and I have no doubt, given the circumstances, it will be a poignant occasion too. 

Given the guidance contained in the Government's roadmap,including the return of outdoor events, I am delighted to inform you that we will be issuing season ticket renewals in the coming weeks. We want to ensure we are as ready as possible for when restrictions are eased to allow supporters back into Anfield. We think it is prudent to be prepared as a club and allow our season ticket holders to be prepared to get back into Anfield too.

To assist with your planning, I am able to confirm that season ticket prices will be frozen for a sixth successive season. And I hope you are as excited as we are at the prospect of being back at Anfield to watch a Liverpool FC team which has brought us so much success and so much pleasure in recent years.

We are aware that many of the challenges faced by our supporters during this period will not cease when football returns to normal and we wanted to make you aware of two elements which may alleviate such difficulties in the circumstances. Firstly, we have joined up with V12 Finance who will offer supporters the option of spreading the cost of their 2021/22 season ticket. Secondly, we will also work with individual supporters who feel they may require a one-year season ticket holiday.

Having taken the decision not to proceed with renewals last season, we are committed to once again providing refunds on a pro-rata basis in the event that games must take place without supporters, but hopefully such an intervention will not be required. 

We’ve recently published a news story with more information on the renewal process, and some FAQs, which you can view here.

Finally, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your support. It is never taken for granted but in your absence, we have had a reminder of why we value it as much as we do. Games behind closed doors have not been the same and the sooner the famous Anfield atmosphere returns the better. 

On behalf of the club, I look forward to welcoming you home.   

Billy

Quick Reply