Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

The BBC

Read 20591 times
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,479 posts | 342 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Re: The BBC
      Reply #23: May 30, 2016 11:14:51 pm
      Cringed when Evans did the same voice as Clarkson at the start... turned it off. Might watch the stream again as I only gave it about eight minutes today, he didn't seem as bad after the Clarkson impression.

People are going to compare, it's natural. I reckon they will change over the course of the series, but we shall see.

Do look forward to The Grand Tour though, should be fun.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #24: May 30, 2016 11:33:24 pm
      Cringed when Evans did the same voice as Clarkson at the start... turned it off. Might watch the stream again as I only gave it about eight minutes today, he didn't seem as bad after the Clarkson impression.

People are going to compare, it's natural. I reckon they will change over the course of the series, but we shall see.

Do look forward to The Grand Tour though, should be fun.

Really wasn't worth it. It seemed like two schoolboys acting out their favourite Clarkson, Hammond and May moments in the playground (although Matt Le Blanc seems to have the knack of presenting solo features)

Got to be honest it really made me miss the old Top Gear. I think the last few years it settled into a predictable format with the previous but at its best it was off beat and outrageous in its features (amphibious cars? Reliant Robin strapped to the back of a rocket ship? Racing from Italy to London in a plane and a Bugatti Veyron?) that was only made better by the way Clarkson, Hammond and May interacted with each other who were self deprecating in the extreme. It says something about the arrogance of BBC bigwigs who thought that the show was successful because of its format and not because of the presenters. The accusations by its sensitive detractors regarding xenophobia and other such things was over egged when in reality all the countries/regions they toured and presented from were always presented in the most incredible light whether it was Bolivia, Africa or Vietnam. Top Gear was never better than when they went abroad - The Grand Tour should be brilliant.
      « Last Edit: May 30, 2016 11:50:23 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #25: May 31, 2016 10:28:00 am

See it didn't make me miss the old Top Gear mate as I thought it had run it's course and even though I tuned in I didn't really enjoy them as I should have.

The biggest disappointment for me, so far, is that the new guys haven't made any difference to the format which is what I was after.

I'll give it a few more weeks as it could just be the first episode but I want to see a 'new' Top Gear not just some old Top Gear with new presenters.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #26: May 31, 2016 01:13:12 pm
      See it didn't make me miss the old Top Gear mate as I thought it had run it's course and even though I tuned in I didn't really enjoy them as I should have.

The biggest disappointment for me, so far, is that the new guys haven't made any difference to the format which is what I was after.

I'll give it a few more weeks as it could just be the first episode but I want to see a 'new' Top Gear not just some old Top Gear with new presenters.

I think the problem with the previous incarnation having run its course (Christmas specials aside) was that it had basically done everything imaginable and by time it became absolutely massive during the last few years and was shown all over the world it had settled into a predictable format and script.

That they are still working on that same format but without the previous three presenters really exposes that the format wasn't really that important.

Ultimately the previous Top Gear was so inventive that I think even if they revamped the show there would still be remnants of the previous version that ran for 13 years. It would help if they scaled it down again to what the show was like in the first few years under Clarkson, Hammond and May when it seemed a little more off beat and improvisational but with the reputation the programme now carries and all the contracts it's signed with various broadcasters around the world, they'll be expecting more of the big flashy production that it had become.

Would have been best if they just laid the show to rest or at least put it away for a good few years.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #27: May 31, 2016 01:17:38 pm
      Honestly forgot the "new" top gear started last night. Sadly, without Clarkson, May and Hammond, it will be just another car show. Can't wait to watch The Grand Tour though. Those three could present a show about quilting and I'd probably watch. It's all about their dynamic.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #28: May 31, 2016 09:13:01 pm
      Honestly forgot the "new" top gear started last night. Sadly, without Clarkson, May and Hammond, it will be just another car show. Can't wait to watch The Grand Tour though. Those three could present a show about quilting and I'd probably watch. It's all about their dynamic.

Clarkson is a full on gobs***e, I can't stand the man. Probably why I was never an avid Top Gear fan.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #29: Jun 03, 2016 03:11:42 am
      Prefer MSN
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #30: Jun 06, 2016 09:35:25 pm
      Putting Evans and Jordan on the same show was a masterpiece of casting. The most annoying cu*ts on TV their for an hour every sunday.
      It is a poor copy of the original show and I cant wait for the GT.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #31: Jun 08, 2016 10:21:25 pm
      Chris Evans must have something on higher ups at the BBC. How such a universally hated man gets so many good deals is beyond me. 1.7 million viewers lost in 1 week says it all.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #32: Jun 08, 2016 10:45:20 pm
      Chris Evans must have something on higher ups at the BBC. How such a universally hated man gets so many good deals is beyond me. 1.7 million viewers lost in 1 week says it all.

It's ridiculous to lose that amount of viewers. To put it in context, even when Top Gear was being shown at the same time when millions and millions of viewers were watching the climax of the epic 2008 Wimbledon final, it still pulled in more viewers than the most recent episode! Watched the second episode myself but decided I wouldn't be going on beyond ep 3. It's not as atrocious as people are making out but it's predictable and boring and the presenters have no chemistry. Looks like a show that was reassembled too quickly and in a panic after the abrupt end of the previous series. I said the format under Clarkson, Hammond and May did turn predictable in it's last few years but was still perfectly watchable, funny and at times brilliant. It's peak was probably about a decade ago in the couple of years before and after that massive crash that nearly killed Richard Hammond where there was much more variety and a good balance between serious and silly. In hindsight it probably ended at the right time and hopefully the move to Amazon for that three and a slight change in format will refresh it.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #33: Jul 04, 2016 04:29:54 pm
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #34: Jul 04, 2016 05:46:00 pm
      Should have never been hired in the first place.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #35: Jul 04, 2016 06:10:21 pm
      He can no doubt go back to being a One Show luvvie alongside Matt Baker and Alex Jones and be like them again - setting out to get offended and apologising for the slightest utterance that comes out of the guests' mouths.

Or clearing his name in that police investigation...
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #36: May 08, 2020 12:32:57 pm
      The BBC.

If you lived abroad and watched the mind numbing spirit crushing game shows...

Thirty Spaniards all talking at one on a discussion show.

The French making sure that every third song played is in French ( thats why Plastic Bertrand is their only claim to fame )

then you understand that alongside the NHS what a treasure our broadcasting institution is.

Especially now in the midst on Covid 19.

Protect the NHS     Protect the BBC.

Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #37: May 08, 2020 04:11:34 pm
      Just to be that guy,Plastic Bertrand was/is Belgian not french and apparently didn't even sing on his one F***ing hit!
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #38: May 24, 2020 07:20:36 pm
      https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-52788122

Lord Hall confirming that people have turned to the BBC in droves during the pandemic.

The best in the world.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #39: May 24, 2020 07:25:27 pm
      https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-52788122

Lord Hall confirming that people have turned to the BBC in droves during the pandemic.

The best in the world.

cu*ts to be honest..

Charging the over 75’s a license fee..

Fee needs scrapping & moved to subscription..
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #40: May 26, 2020 01:22:49 pm
      cu*ts to be honest..

Charging the over 75’s a license fee..

Fee needs scrapping & moved to subscription..

And that Kuennesberg turning into a press secretary for Johnson & Cummings.

Apart from the odd programme here and there terrestial telly is F***ing crap full of reality or talent show sh*te.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #41: Sep 01, 2020 10:54:52 pm
      Whose got an agenda ?

XR   Sound The Alarm   Extinction Rebellion .

Demos started today all over the UK for a week in different cities.

What did the BBC News cover .......

Not Climate Change

Election in Belarus.
      Beirut.
      Huw Edwards' war time rellies.
      Portugal possible quarantine.
      Donald Liar

The Planet is dying but its not important .  Not newsworthy .  Denial .
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #42: Sep 01, 2020 10:59:21 pm
      Whose got an agenda ?

XR   Sound The Alarm   Extinction Rebellion .

Demos started today all over the UK for a week in different cities.

What did the BBC News cover .......

Not Climate Change

Election in Belarus.
      Beirut.
      Huw Edwards' war time rellies.
      Portugal possible quarantine.
      Donald Liar

The Planet is dying but its not important .  Not newsworthy .  Denial .

Local bbc news down here showed some protests, banners over motorway etc
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #43: Oct 30, 2020 10:07:55 pm

Living in both France and Spain used to get FreeSat from Astra 2d.
      I metre dish in S of France. 
      2 metre dish further South in Catalonia.

However anything remotely concerned with the internet with the start of streaming or BBC I Player for example ... no go.

BBC would pick up your IP address and state on screen that the programmes were not available in your area.
      Same as today if we try to use BBC America.

So there was quite a market started up in VPNs (Virtual Private Networks)

By the time you paid a monthly fee for a VPN it was probably equivalent to the price of the UK License Fee.

Now :  Opera browser offers a choice of free VPNs and the cost is now minimal especially if you watch TV abroad over the internet like we do here with Amazon Fire stick for example.

So now . Yes its out of balance for UK fee payers.

Still amazing value for what you get right across the board.

Quick Reply