Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Diego Maradona dead at 60

Read 1936 times
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Diego Maradona dead at 60
      Nov 25, 2020 04:42:33 pm
      Breaking

https://twitter.com/BBCSport/status/1331638068189818881?s=19

Sad. The best to ever do it, in my opinion.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Re: Diego Maradona dead at 60
      Reply #1: Nov 25, 2020 04:43:20 pm
      RIP

His performances at '86 were the closest thing I've ever seen to football perfection.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #2: Nov 25, 2020 05:22:11 pm
      Icon of football.

Eventually though, your life catches up with you, and he lived life like a candle burning from both ends.

R.I.P.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #3: Nov 25, 2020 05:32:09 pm
      RIP

His performances at '86 were the closest thing I've ever seen to football perfection.

What seperates him from Messi imo
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #4: Nov 25, 2020 05:46:12 pm
      That Maradona documentary is one of the best bits of film making ever.
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,952 posts | 217 
      Reply #5: Nov 25, 2020 06:18:16 pm
      The Greatest I have ever seen

RIP

https://youtu.be/BM2pSRetXmY 
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #6: Nov 25, 2020 06:31:23 pm
      Very sad news.

A genius, arguably the best ever. His greatness showed by his influence on Argentinas world club success and Napoli winning serie A.

A troubled genius but a genius first and foremost.

May he rest in peace
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #7: Nov 25, 2020 06:37:10 pm
      A genuine icon of the 20th century. Before my time but the videos of him look incredible.

RIP
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #8: Nov 25, 2020 06:55:56 pm
      A genuine icon of the 20th century. Before my time but the videos of him look incredible.

RIP

People will always differ in opinions but for me hes above Messi. I dont think any of the other pretenders to the throne of greatest would have taken Napoli where he took them, or the Argentina 86 team
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,264 posts | 280 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #9: Nov 25, 2020 07:01:35 pm
      The greatest player that I’ve ever seen and won’t see the like again in my life time.
      RIP
      ToshackKeeganOneNil
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 488 posts | 100 
      Reply #10: Nov 25, 2020 07:11:11 pm
      The word legend is tossed around nowadays arbitrarily to describe even journeymen players.

Diego Armando Maradona Franco is a legend whether you think he's best ever footballer, second best or even third best.

RIP Legend.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #11: Nov 25, 2020 07:32:09 pm
      RIP.   Fantastic player the best player ever IMO.  He had the ability to win single handily that goal against England was a signature or autograph of his on the World Cup.   
      Jimsouse67

• 9,275 posts | 1436 
      Reply #12: Nov 25, 2020 07:47:05 pm
      Irrespective of his troubles & excesses he was an Incredible incredible player & I consider myself blessed to be old enough to have seen him play .R.I.P.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #13: Nov 26, 2020 02:41:54 am
      RIP Diego.

Truly sad news to wake up to this morning, that was!
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #14: Nov 26, 2020 11:49:12 am
      RIP

I haven't seen another player who won a world cup singlehandedly. And his solo goal against England, plus his hand of God... Simply brilliant.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #15: Nov 26, 2020 11:41:15 pm
      The fact he won the World Cup will always give him the edge over Messi. I don't think any player can be considered the best ever, without the biggest trophy in the game. However, Pele had a clean image to go with his natural ability, that Maradona just didn't have. Pele was also open to new challenges in other countries, whereas Maradona wasn't.

He had a natural talent on the pitch and made the most of it. Unfortunately, there was a darker side to him which showed itself many times. I remember when he tested positive at his club, and at the World Cup. Anyone can have one bad result, then recover and rebuild their career with a second chance. He wasted it unfortunately, and tested positive in the middle of the biggest tournament in the world. It was a sad way for one of the greats of the game to bow out at the highest level.

He resembled a sad figure for many years, and his health and lifestyle gradually deteriorated to the point where it eventually got the better of him.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #16: Nov 27, 2020 03:03:45 am
      What about Jorge Valdano's obituary for Maradona. He says in it that Maradona beat Sacchi's all conquering Milan team sometimes in a diabolical state. Whether through achilles and serious knee injury to drug and alchohol abuse. I tihnk 1986 was about as clean as Maradona got in his prime years (WC that is) and look at what he could do. I think his high's were higher than anyone else. He delivered two amazing competitions the Scudetto and WC, not a bad success rate givne the sides he played in. However for me it is his artistry. Just the way he manipulated the ball is incredibly aesthetically pleasing. It was just a joy to watch. I remember as a boy being mesmerised by Socrates and Zico and then I saw him playing for Naples and just his touch and creativity was pure football ecstasy. RIP Diego what an experience it was growing up watching you.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #17: Nov 28, 2020 07:52:17 am
      What about Jorge Valdano's obituary for Maradona. He says in it that Maradona beat Sacchi's all conquering Milan team sometimes in a diabolical state. Whether through achilles and serious knee injury to drug and alchohol abuse. I tihnk 1986 was about as clean as Maradona got in his prime years (WC that is) and look at what he could do. I think his high's were higher than anyone else. He delivered two amazing competitions the Scudetto and WC, not a bad success rate givne the sides he played in. However for me it is his artistry. Just the way he manipulated the ball is incredibly aesthetically pleasing. It was just a joy to watch. I remember as a boy being mesmerised by Socrates and Zico and then I saw him playing for Naples and just his touch and creativity was pure football ecstasy. RIP Diego what an experience it was growing up watching you.

I watched a snippet of Linaker in the bt studio just after his death was announced, he was explaining to Rio, Owen & I think Crouchy just how good Maradonna was, he explained he played for a rest of the world X1 and Diego was in the same X1,.....in the dressing room before the game Diego was sat just in his shorts, he had a rolled up sock and he was playing keepy uppy with the sock while he just sat there for like ages, then outside on the pitch in the warm up, he did the usual passing and receiving, but then he started to kick the ball miles into the air, would wait till it came down and would do it again, he did this like thirteen times but never moved any more than three feet, thirteen times, Linaker said that they tried to do the same back at the Nou Camp where he played at the time but the most anyone could manage was three....

The little man was a absolute genius, i don’t think we will ever see a player with as much skill, artistry as he had, his close control together with those dancing feet was mesmerising ,

He of course will always be remembered by that ‘Hand of God’ goal, but I think that was a stroke of genius too, he himself explained why he did it when Linaker met him in that doc he did, let’s be honest here, if you were in that same position as he was, you would have done the same, don’t deny it it because it’s true, he took the chance and got away with it,
      He DID’NT cheat England out of anything, that’s just English arrogance, he cheated the ref, and got away with it, simples.

RIP Diego Maradonna

Y  N  W  A

Quick Reply