Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Best team you've seen in your time as a red

Read 10963 times
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,264 posts | 280 
      • Let's talk about six
      Re: Best team you've seen in your time as a red
      Reply #23: Apr 28, 2020 06:49:09 pm
      Genuinely quite surprised how many teams Suarez gets in

He was F***ing amazing the time he was with us. Never seen defenders more scared of one other player.
      Kopite78
      Reply #24: Apr 28, 2020 06:54:07 pm
      He was f**king amazing the time he was with us. Never seen defenders more scared of one other player.

Yeah for 18 months he was.. but theres more to it than a great (and it was great a 18 months) months

And he was a c**t of the highest order as well which many other legends before (and after) weren't

And those many that weren't cu*ts before or after him won things

He was brilliant for 18 months but personally he would just about break top 10 in my all time strikers let alone top 2
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,264 posts | 280 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #25: Apr 28, 2020 07:13:45 pm
      Yeah for 18 months he was.. but theres more to it than a great (and it was great a 18 months) months

And he was a c**t of the highest order as well which many other legends before (and after) weren't

He was brilliant for 18 months but personally he would just about break top 10 in my all time strikers let alone top 2

Get what you’re saying and agree that he was a pr**k. I wasn’t going on trophies and behaviour, just on the best players I have seen and he for me was right up there.

TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #26: Apr 29, 2020 09:34:54 am
      Genuinely quite surprised how many teams Suarez gets in

Most talented player I've seen in 2 decades of watching Liverpool. Along with Gerrard he was the first name on my teamsheet
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #27: Apr 29, 2020 10:09:55 am

Totally see where you come from mate but still he is one of the most gifted footballers I've ever seen play for us and although he didn't make my first 11 I had him on the bench.

sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #28: Apr 29, 2020 11:11:04 am
      Fowler was probably my favourite growing up, whilst I think the current squad is the best overall that I’ve seen.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #29: May 03, 2020 05:27:50 am
      I like threads like this. I’m 32 so here’s my team.

Alisson - Best GK I’ve ever seen play for us, no question. I loved Reina but he’s nowhere near Alissons level and any other keeper we’ve had during my time have been pretty awful in truth. Becker is the best GK in the world right now.

Trent - We’ve had some great right backs during my time. Babbel was a brilliant player and Steven Finnan was massively under rated too. I’m old enough to remember Rob Jones playing but injury problems stopped him from becoming a true great.  Trent gets the nod for me, he’s the best right back in the world currently so you can’t leave him out.

VVD - Best CB we’ve had during my lifetime, no question. Again, best in the world currently. He has no weaknesses.

Sami - Basically the exact same player as VVD but without the pace. Sami was fantastic though, a great centre half. The only weakness Sami had was his pace!

Robbo - Left back had been a major problem for us for a good 20 years or so. Riise was considered a good left back by most reds but was he? He was bang average in truth but a few rocket goals papered over the cracks for him. Aurelio was a very good player but similar to Jones he was plagued by injury. I always liked Insua whenever he played, what ever happened to him? Weird how his career went to sh*t after a promising start. I liked Arbeloa too, a steady eddy. But anyway, it’s now that we have Robbo you realise just how poor our previous left backs were really, none of them are anyway close to Robbos level.

Mascherano - The amount of ground he covered was unreal. Constantly won the ball back for us. Massively under rated, maybe not by reds but certainly by other fans. He was unreal. He allowed xabi and Gerrard to play.

Alonso - The passer of a ball I’ve ever seen and had a great partnership with Stevie.

Gerrard - The greatest midfielder of his generation and walks into any team, not just a Liverpool one. I’m not being biased but it really annoys me the whole Lampard Gerrard scholes debate.  Lampard was a great goal scoring midfielder but people forget he was surrounded by superstars. Scholes was a great passer of the ball but again he had great players around him who could turn a bad pass into a good one.  Stevie on the other hand played alongside igor F***ing biscan. Not only that, he could do everything. Run, tackle, pass, shoot, score. He was THE BEST.

Suarez - The best footballer I’ve ever seen wear red. Truly unbelievable. In terms of sheer entertainment and being wowed then he is miles ahead of everyone.

Torres - I really didn’t want to put him in because I’m still fuming he left us for those rent boys and I always will be. I think he gets a pass from our fans because he flopped it there but had he been a big success then I imagine more reds would still feel bitter towards him.  That said, during his time at Liverpool he was the best centre forward in the world. Deadly. Whenever he had a chance you knew it was flying in. Such a shame we never got to see him and Suarez play together - even though it’s rumoured Torres was finished before we sold him.

Fowler - god. Whenever I pick Liverpool teams, Fowler is the first name that goes in. People who are too young to remember let me tell you, when pundits etc talk about him you will always hear them say ‘the most natural goal scorer they have ever seen’ and it’s so true.  My first ever Liverpool game was in 1993 and I was 5 years old. It was a league cup match against Fulham at anfield and fowler scored 5 in a 5-0 win. From that moment on i was obsessed with Liverpool, anfield and fowler. Playing football in the streets I always pretended to be him. His name went on the back of all my shirts. He was my hero and still is. My favourite ever Liverpool player.

What a team. A few people narrowly missed out. Mainly forwards.  Michael Owen, although an absolute manc c**t, he was unbelievable in his day too. I watched a documentary on him only a few days ago and when he broke onto the scene he was unplayable. 

Our current front three are all worthy of being in the line up too, they are the best attack in world but I just couldn’t leave the three that I chose out.

Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,632 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #30: May 03, 2020 02:31:01 pm
      I like threads like this. I’m 32 so here’s my team.

Alisson - Best GK I’ve ever seen play for us, no question. I loved Reina but he’s nowhere near Alissons level and any other keeper we’ve had during my time have been pretty awful in truth. Becker is the best GK in the world right now.

Trent - We’ve had some great right backs during my time. Babbel was a brilliant player and Steven Finnan was massively under rated too. I’m old enough to remember Rob Jones playing but injury problems stopped him from becoming a true great.  Trent gets the nod for me, he’s the best right back in the world currently so you can’t leave him out.

VVD - Best CB we’ve had during my lifetime, no question. Again, best in the world currently. He has no weaknesses.

Sami - Basically the exact same player as VVD but without the pace. Sami was fantastic though, a great centre half. The only weakness Sami had was his pace!

Robbo - Left back had been a major problem for us for a good 20 years or so. Riise was considered a good left back by most reds but was he? He was bang average in truth but a few rocket goals papered over the cracks for him. Aurelio was a very good player but similar to Jones he was plagued by injury. I always liked Insua whenever he played, what ever happened to him? Weird how his career went to sh*t after a promising start. I liked Arbeloa too, a steady eddy. But anyway, it’s now that we have Robbo you realise just how poor our previous left backs were really, none of them are anyway close to Robbos level.

Mascherano - The amount of ground he covered was unreal. Constantly won the ball back for us. Massively under rated, maybe not by reds but certainly by other fans. He was unreal. He allowed xabi and Gerrard to play.

Alonso - The passer of a ball I’ve ever seen and had a great partnership with Stevie.

Gerrard - The greatest midfielder of his generation and walks into any team, not just a Liverpool one. I’m not being biased but it really annoys me the whole Lampard Gerrard scholes debate.  Lampard was a great goal scoring midfielder but people forget he was surrounded by superstars. Scholes was a great passer of the ball but again he had great players around him who could turn a bad pass into a good one.  Stevie on the other hand played alongside igor f**king biscan. Not only that, he could do everything. Run, tackle, pass, shoot, score. He was THE BEST.

Suarez - The best footballer I’ve ever seen wear red. Truly unbelievable. In terms of sheer entertainment and being wowed then he is miles ahead of everyone.

Torres - I really didn’t want to put him in because I’m still fuming he left us for those rent boys and I always will be. I think he gets a pass from our fans because he flopped it there but had he been a big success then I imagine more reds would still feel bitter towards him.  That said, during his time at Liverpool he was the best centre forward in the world. Deadly. Whenever he had a chance you knew it was flying in. Such a shame we never got to see him and Suarez play together - even though it’s rumoured Torres was finished before we sold him.

Fowler - god. Whenever I pick Liverpool teams, Fowler is the first name that goes in. People who are too young to remember let me tell you, when pundits etc talk about him you will always hear them say ‘the most natural goal scorer they have ever seen’ and it’s so true.  My first ever Liverpool game was in 1993 and I was 5 years old. It was a league cup match against Fulham at anfield and fowler scored 5 in a 5-0 win. From that moment on i was obsessed with Liverpool, anfield and fowler. Playing football in the streets I always pretended to be him. His name went on the back of all my shirts. He was my hero and still is. My favourite ever Liverpool player.

What a team. A few people narrowly missed out. Mainly forwards.  Michael Owen, although an absolute manc c**t, he was unbelievable in his day too. I watched a documentary on him only a few days ago and when he broke onto the scene he was unplayable. 

Our current front three are all worthy of being in the line up too, they are the best attack in world but I just couldn’t leave the three that I chose out.

I'm all over this, couldn't have put it better myself..brilliant briliant team and post.
      RedRepublican
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 35 posts |
      Reply #31: May 03, 2020 08:12:32 pm
      Hello friends.  xxxxx:action-smiley-065: Back on the boards after a six year absence. Last Post in 2014!

GK: Allison
      RB: Trent
      RCB: Hyypia
      LCB: Big Virgil
      LB: Robertson
      DM: Der Kaiser
      CM: Gerrard
      RM: Mane
      LM: Digger
      Deep lying forward: King Kenny
      Centre forward: Suarez

glennusmc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,638 posts | 449 
      Reply #32: May 03, 2020 09:09:12 pm
      The 1987/1988 team was the best of that time period (late 70's and 80's) when we were winning almost everything. No European cup ban, we could arguably have 8 or 9 European cups by now. 

The past two seasons, 2018/2019 and the current one are the best teams that we have put together since those winning days.
      glennusmc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,638 posts | 449 
      Reply #33: May 03, 2020 09:09:49 pm
      The 1987/1988 team was the best of that time period (late 70's and 80's) when we were winning almost everything. No European cup ban, we could arguably have 8 or 9 European cups by now. 

The past two seasons, 2018/2019 and the current one are the best teams that we have put together since those winning days.

sorry, saw that you wanted a mix of the best players
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #34: May 03, 2020 10:31:34 pm
      Hello friends.  xxxxx:action-smiley-065: Back on the boards after a six year absence. Last Post in 2014!

GK: Allison
      RB: Trent
      RCB: Hyypia
      LCB: Big Virgil
      DM: Der Kaiser
      RM: Mane
      LM: Digger
      Deep lying forward: King Kenny
      Centre forward: Suarez

Welcome back
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #35: May 13, 2020 12:02:20 am
      Saturday 2nd September 1978, I managed to get a ticket, row 2, right on the half way line, Kemlyn rd stand.
      I was 14 years old.
      That day I witnessed a game that would live in my memory forever.
      https://www.lfchistory.net/SeasonArchive/Game/1046
      Tottenham had just signed Villa & Ardilles after the Argentine World Cup success a couple of months earlier and a young Glen Hoddle was in the starting line up too. Didn't make any difference whatsoever !
      We absolutely battered them.
      That Reds team was the best I have ever seen ;
      • Clemence
        Neal
        A.Kennedy
        Thompson
        R.Kennedy
        Hughes(c)
        Dalglish
        Case
        Heighway
        McDermott
        Souness
        sub - D. Johnson
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #36: May 13, 2020 07:14:48 am
      Don’t let Mo stumble upon this thread.
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,632 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #37: May 13, 2020 09:32:49 pm
      Saturday 2nd September 1978, I managed to get a ticket, row 2, right on the half way line, Kemlyn rd stand.
      I was 14 years old.
      That day I witnessed a game that would live in my memory forever.
      https://www.lfchistory.net/SeasonArchive/Game/1046
      Tottenham had just signed Villa & Ardilles after the Argentine World Cup success a couple of months earlier and a young Glen Hoddle was in the starting line up too. Didn't make any difference whatsoever !
      We absolutely battered them.
      That Reds team was the best I have ever seen ;
      • Clemence
        Neal
        A.Kennedy
        Thompson
        R.Kennedy
        Hughes(c)
        Dalglish
        Case
        Heighway
        McDermott
        Souness
        sub - D. Johnson

I was on the Kop purring especially when Terry Mac scored the 7th...what a day !!
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #38: May 17, 2020 08:51:59 pm
      Impossible task, been following us for 5 decades, too many great players.

Agree.
      Supported the lads since old 2nd division champions.
      62 onwards.
      May 1st 65 as Billy says ... St John with his horizontal header to win it.
      So many teams .

I'll start work on this.

As Scott said as he left the igloo :

" I may be a little while ......."

Posted that on April 25th  .........

Seen em all from St John / Hunt /Thommo /Cally / Yeats / Flying Pig Lawrence / Melia  etc onwards.

Still thinking .....

Brain hurts.
      Klopps Snood
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,632 posts | 1558 
      • CHAMPI9NS
      Reply #39: May 17, 2020 09:23:04 pm
      Posted that on April 25th  .........

Seen em all from St John / Hunt /Thommo /Cally / Yeats / Flying Pig Lawrence / Melia  etc onwards.

Still thinking .....

Brain hurts.

Don't think to hard hun, just go with your instinct  ;D trouble is..............we've had soooooo many excellent players over the decades, it is hard to pick a team.
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,709 posts | 162 
      Reply #40: May 23, 2020 05:26:49 pm
      Allison

Trent       Hyypia       Virgil     Robertson

Hamann       Alonso

Salah         Gerrard      Barnes

Fowler

Reina
      Nicol
      Hansen
      Henderson
      Suarez
      Mane
      Torres

Think that's mine. Like Kopite if I had Hansen and Nicol in their prime they would be starters for me so Robbo and Virgil just edge them out.

Fowler was my favourite player in the 90's and Barnes probably my all time favourite.

That is some team. That's what I'd have wouldn't change a thing.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #41: May 23, 2020 11:45:21 pm
      Tough one this when you've got 5 decades of players to choose from.

Clem
      Trent
      Kennedy
      Hansen
      Virg

Emlyn
      Souey
      Gerrard

Kenny
      Rush
      Mane

Reserves

Alisson
      Nichol
      Neal
      Lawrenson
      Thommo

Case
      Xabi
      Hendo

Fowler
      Mo
      Tosh

I've probably missed loads out that I'll be kicking myself for.

I've obviously gone with those who I grew watching and who all have a lot of medals (league titles) apart from our current players who I've included as our future greats.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #42: May 24, 2020 11:06:12 pm
      Had a similar thing pop up as a challenge on Facebook, so here is my list.

GK - Pepe Reina
      LB - Robertson
      CB - Hyppia
      CB - Van Dijk
      RB - TAA
      RM - Salah
      CM - Gerrard
      CM - Alonso
      LM - Mane
      ST - Suarez
      ST - Torres

Subs: Firmino, Finnan, Cisse, Owen, Hamann, Riise and Allison.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #43: May 25, 2020 01:41:19 am
      My Liverpool team goes back to when I first started properly following our beloved club back in 1985/86.
      It’s incredibly difficult obviously to pick a squad of 18 players.
      If I could have chosen 30 players it still would have been very tricky

GK: Alisson
      RB: TAA
      CB: Hansen
      CB: VVD
      CM: Molby
      LW: Barnes
      RW: Salah
      ST: Suarez
      ST: Rush

Bench:
      Grobalaar
      Hypia
      Nicol
      Alonso
      Mane
      Torres
      Fowler
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #44: May 25, 2020 07:17:01 pm
      I was on the Kop purring especially when Terry Mac scored the 7th...what a day !!

Me to. I remember the kop singing...
      ‘The right side’ then ‘The left side’
      then all together, ‘Liverpool’

Never ever forget that game. I travelled from near Bath to make the match, but always made the spurs fixture. At that time they hadn’t won at Anfield for 62 years 😁.
      rickyticky89
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #45: Jun 04, 2020 09:26:49 pm
      Hi I’m new to this, but I’m looking for a kop ticket from that last game in 1989 v Arsenal. I was with my brother and it’s got sentimental meaning, but have mislaid my ticket over the years and I’m trying to track one down. Can anyone help me please?

Its Covid this, covid that or wondering if we will or if we should be champions as it stands

So let's lift the mood.

Who's your best team you have seen in your lifetime, I know we could have some on here who go back 5 years or 60 years, but that will make it interesting.

Starting 11
      7 subs

Explanation as to why if you like

I'll go. I've been supporting the side, as I remember since 1986. My grandad took me to my first game in 88, and then he started getting me regularly in the game with him from 91 and eventually he gave me his  season ticket.

This isnt easy when you go back as far as the 80s, but it's my favourites

GK : Alisson - As I said I go back to the mid 80s but I've never seen a keeper at his level, hes unbelievable

RB : Trent - As Alisson hes the best in his position I can remember (shout to Rob Jones)

LB : Robbo - Again... best I can remember (shout to Steve Nicol but he wasnt Robbo)

CB: Virg - big recency bias here but this current back 5 is the best I can remember, I mean I lived through the 90s so it's not much competition

CB : Carra. Couldn't leave him out, love the man. (Noteable mention to Hansen who was a superstar but I was a kid during his peak and I caught the major tail end of him really)

Didi : Not 100% sure why he gets in over other holding mids, probably his loyalty over those others. But I really liked him and what he did

Alonso : Again I just loved watching him play, if I could para shoot a midfielder in almost any team it would be Xabi

Garrard : Say no more. Brilliant

Barnes : Wide left forward. In his prime there was no more exciting player to watch, he could do anything. Would be a £120m+ player nowadays

Rush : my original idol, share a birthday with him and one of the main reasons I'm a red..couldn't leave him out

Fowler : Took Rushies place in my heart, I've never seen a more clinical natural finisher in my life. Again couldn't leave him out

Subs
      Reina : Second best keeper of my life in his prime, a heartbeat of Rafas side

Nicol : Bit of a tit nowadays but Mr versatile when I was a kid. Won PFA player of the year from full back..brilliant

Hansen : If Virg hadn't come along hed have been in. If I was around for his prime hed have been in

Molby : Best passer of the ball I've ever seen. Never missed a pen

Beardsley : Cheating a bit sticking him in as a midfield option  but what a player he was 87-89

Mane : Has been such a surprise for me, and I just had to include him

Torres : Loved him for a spell

That's mine if anyone else is bored
      [/quote]

Quick Reply