Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Reds back in training

Read 9014 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Re: Reds back in training
      Reply #23: Jun 07, 2020 07:05:52 pm
      I said the EPL starting in October next season. Otherwise you're expecting the EPL teams playing in Europe in August to start playing a new EPL season after they go out of Europe with no break. I don't think they will accept that demand, so I can't see the new EPL season starting before October.

Many winter seasons are now resuming. The EPL will be the last to do so. So the European slots from our league won't all be filled until the end of July, possibly August if the cup winner gets a spot. Some of those spots are just for qualifying rounds as it is. So you can't start playing the new qualifying rounds until all the current competitions are completed. Then there's the City situation thrown in, and how that affects things.

It's nothing to do with money. The European games simply cannot begin until everyone knows where they stand, how many European slots they have, what qualifying rounds they enter in, and we may not know that until after both of the European competitions for the current season are decided.

We're fortunate to know where we stand for Europe next season, but many others don't atm.

The EPL will not wait until October, two full months after finishing this season, so that a small group of teams can play out their remaining UEFA matches. These are typically played concurrently anyway, so why should it be any different?

I'll grant you the start of the qualifying rounds for the 2020-21 European competitions may need to be pushed back for the current domestic seasons to be completed (qualifiers normally would have begun on June 23!), but this won't affect domestic schedules except for four clubs Europe wide (the finalists). All matches except the final are played midweek anyway (and even that could change for this one season).

Then the group stage matches for the two Euro competitions will probably have a slightly later start date, but it should all be caught up by the end of the calendar year. Fixture lists will be crowded for sure, but taking a two month break after finishing these final nine matches wouldn't make any sense at all.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #24: Jun 08, 2020 06:08:12 am
      I am familiar with the normal format, but this coming season will not be normal. It will take some major tweaking for sure, but I bet they do not wait until October. And I don't think they will hold up the whole thing so some team from Albania and some team from Malta have a proper break before they play their qualifying round, the first of four or five before the group stages. They will arrange something else - too much money involved. Teams that don't get to participate in those rounds will probably get a little something for their trouble.

In Malta, MFA, ended the league and the first time won it. Floriana was leading the league by only 3 points and had 6 games remaining :/

I can't wait for us to start the games.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #25: Jun 08, 2020 11:30:39 am
      Otherwise you're expecting the EPL teams playing in Europe in August to start playing a new EPL season after they go out of Europe with no break.

What do you think the last 10 weeks have been? It's probably the longest break footballers have had in their entire career.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #26: Jun 08, 2020 11:32:51 am
      What do you think the last 10 weeks have been? It's probably the longest break footballers have had in their entire career.

Spot on, we should now roll right into the new season after finishing this one, perhaps a short 1-2 week break, and then have a slightly longer winter break.
      « Last Edit: Jun 08, 2020 11:38:51 am by heimdall »
      tq redz
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 81 posts | 14 
      Reply #27: Jun 08, 2020 11:43:53 am
      Spot on, we should now roll right into the new season after finishing this one, perhaps a short 1-2 week break, and then have a slightly longer winter break.

Definitely the longest break Mane has had.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #28: Jun 08, 2020 02:50:57 pm
      Quote from Robby The Z
      The EPL will not wait until October, two full months after finishing this season, so that a small group of teams can play out their remaining UEFA matches. These are typically played concurrently anyway, so why should it be any different?

I'll grant you the start of the qualifying rounds for the 2020-21 European competitions may need to be pushed back for the current domestic seasons to be completed (qualifiers normally would have begun on June 23!), but this won't affect domestic schedules except for four clubs Europe wide (the finalists). All matches except the final are played midweek anyway (and even that could change for this one season).

Then the group stage matches for the two Euro competitions will probably have a slightly later start date, but it should all be caught up by the end of the calendar year. Fixture lists will be crowded for sure, but taking a two month break after finishing these final nine matches wouldn't make any sense at all.

The European games will be played at midweeks and weekends. There's so many games left that they have to play at every opportunity across the full month. Obviously if they are not played, then the EPL season can start earlier than October.

Quote from JD

During the break, the fixture list has to be arranged, clubs have to relay pitches, promoted clubs have to improve their grounds, we're moving to a new training facility, players are leaving clubs and joining new ones. There's European tournaments in August to complicate it all, and major international tournaments at the end of next season.

I know that players have just had a long lay off which is now causing a spike in injuries, but people expecting them to play every week for the next 12 months or more, with just a 1-2 week break is not realistic. So as things stand, I can't see the new EPL season starting before October at the earliest.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #29: Jun 08, 2020 04:08:33 pm
      The European games will be played at midweeks and weekends. There's so many games left that they have to play at every opportunity across the full month. Obviously if they are not played, then the EPL season can start earlier than October.

During the break, the fixture list has to be arranged, clubs have to relay pitches, promoted clubs have to improve their grounds, we're moving to a new training facility, players are leaving clubs and joining new ones. There's European tournaments in August to complicate it all, and major international tournaments at the end of next season.

I know that players have just had a long lay off which is now causing a spike in injuries, but people expecting them to play every week for the next 12 months or more, with just a 1-2 week break is not realistic. So as things stand, I can't see the new EPL season starting before October at the earliest.

No one is suggesting they play for a solid 12 months, they should play these games coming up, 6 weeks, then have a 2 week break then into new season, then a slightly longer winter break, problem solved.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #30: Jun 08, 2020 04:11:18 pm
      UEFA will announce the dates for the resumed competitions on June 17.

There are six matchdays left in the Champions League and six for Europa League (with two additional Europa matches to be played - first leg, round of 16).

Looking at the teams still in the competition, their national coefficient and their standing in domestic league play, I don't think there will be a need to push the 20-21 competition kickoff back very far at all. Early Qualifying rounds in most, if not all cases, can be played whle the final knockout rounds of the current UEFA competitions are complete.  It's a bit  more complicated logistically but it is doable, and the incentive to get things under way is great for most parties involved.

Even after that, none of these things stop the Premier League beginning in August.

Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #31: Jun 08, 2020 05:49:53 pm
      I think we'll see a 4-5 week break in between the domestic seasons. This may mean a delay to the start of the Champions League proper and potentially reduced format for the competition next year. They could reduce the number of games with a Europa League style group stage, they could go knockout only, they could run with the same number of teams but more groups which would maintain the same number of teams but reduce on matchdays. Who knows.

They could decide to extend the 5 subs rule into next season, this would enable teams/squad to mitigate for a busier calendar with shorter rest periods both domestically and in Europe.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #32: Jun 08, 2020 06:49:27 pm
      I think we'll see a 4-5 week break in between the domestic seasons. This may mean a delay to the start of the Champions League proper and potentially reduced format for the competition next year. They could reduce the number of games with a Europa League style group stage, they could go knockout only, they could run with the same number of teams but more groups which would maintain the same number of teams but reduce on matchdays. Who knows.

They could decide to extend the 5 subs rule into next season, this would enable teams/squad to mitigate for a busier calendar with shorter rest periods both domestically and in Europe.

4-5 weeks is pointless as how would you keep the players fit its to short to really relax anyway? I think a couple of weeks is enough, like the winter break, but I do think there should be more subs per game anyway, I've never understood why it's limited to three.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #33: Jun 08, 2020 10:19:38 pm
      Just to be a dick but not commenting on the views above just saying there are multi threads for debating when the new season might start.can't we keep one thread for the reds in training! ;) xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #34: Jun 08, 2020 11:25:33 pm
      Quote from heimdall
      No one is suggesting they play for a solid 12 months, they should play these games coming up, 6 weeks, then have a 2 week break then into new season, then a slightly longer winter break, problem solved.

If you're asking players to start the new season 2 weeks after this, you're telling them to play non stop football twice a week for the next 12 months, for club and country.

The winter break has to go next season. Once the season begins, every available slot in the calendar must be used. That means the usual 50-60 club games and 10-20 competitive internationals, then complain about how tired they are during the season.

We struggle atm to get players ready with a 3 week break every summer. Now you're asking them to play a full season, qualifiers, and tournaments after just a 2 week break. Good luck trying to win the players over.

Quote from Boston not la
      Just saying there are multi threads for debating when the new season might start.can't we keep one thread for the reds in training! ;) xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

I think we know we're back in training. There's not much else to it.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #35: Jun 08, 2020 11:56:36 pm
      If you're asking players to start the new season 2 weeks after this, you're telling them to play non stop football twice a week for the next 12 months, for club and country.

The winter break has to go next season. Once the season begins, every available slot in the calendar must be used. That means the usual 50-60 club games and 10-20 competitive internationals, then complain about how tired they are during the season.

We struggle atm to get players ready with a 3 week break every summer. Now you're asking them to play a full season, qualifiers, and tournaments after just a 2 week break. Good luck trying to win the players over.

I think we know we're back in training. There's not much else to it.

They've just had a 10 week break, did you miss that part, by the way why can't there be a proper winter break then push back the end of next season by 1 or 2 weeks?
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #36: Jun 09, 2020 02:14:33 am
      Just to be a dick but not commenting on the views above just saying there are multi threads for debating when the new season might start.can't we keep one thread for the reds in training! ;) xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

I know, I started like three of them myself! :kk-)

OK, You got me.

I humbly seek your forgiveness.

Oh, and the WHO says asymptomatic people don't spread the virus AFTER all.  ;D

Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #37: Jun 10, 2020 10:20:52 pm
      we gotta friendly game against Blackburn on friday,any chance of an lfctv showing?
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #38: Jun 10, 2020 11:25:50 pm
      we gotta friendly game against Blackburn on friday,any chance of an lfctv showing?

Here's hoping.

One guy hiding under a seat in the top row with a cell phone could stream it and people would watch.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,447 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #39: Jun 11, 2020 11:04:34 am
      Here's hoping.

One guy hiding under a seat in the top row with a cell phone could stream it and people would watch.

There will be highlights for sure. But doubtful if they show whole game. would be cool though.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #40: Jun 11, 2020 11:32:07 am

Just read the friendly is on today at 3pm.

Can anyone confirm?
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #41: Jun 11, 2020 11:43:36 am
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #42: Jun 11, 2020 01:21:57 pm
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #43: Jun 11, 2020 02:07:48 pm
      apparently 3-0 up at the moment, Mane Keita and Minamino with the goals
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #44: Jun 11, 2020 02:22:11 pm
      Just read the friendly is on today at 3pm.

Can anyone confirm?

Nope earlier, game currently ongoing, we're 3-0 up.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #45: Jun 11, 2020 02:25:25 pm
      Nope earlier, game currently ongoing, we're 3-0 up.

Cheers lad.

Quick Reply