Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Back in Action: Completing The Job

Read 8258 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Back in Action: Completing The Job
      Jun 01, 2020 02:15:25 pm
      So I was watching a video of the first day where everybody is back in training. Thought we might talk about what to expect football-wise from these final matches. We're going to win the title of course, but what will it look like on the pitch? Let's discuss.

I expect with a crowded fixture list, we will be seeing a lot of rotation, with at least 22 players, and probably more, seeing action.

There's an overhead shot in that video as the players are singing Happy Birthday to StevenGerrard, and I count 29 players gathered. As far as I can tell they are:

GK: Alisson, Adrian, Lonergan, Kelleher

D: Lovren, Gomez, Virgil, Matip, Trent, Robbo, Neco, Larouci, Van Den Berg, Hoever

M: Hendo, Gini, Ox, Milner, Keita, Fabinho, Ox, Lallana

F: Firmino, Mane, Salah, Origi, Minamino, Jones, Elliott

(actually Virgil is not in the shot - training separately perhaps?)

I haven't seen Nathanael Clyne in any of the training pics or videos so far. I take it he won't be returning??

There is one other player, a kid staning among the kids, standing behind Neco and between Harvey and Andrea K. Any idea who that is?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Re: Back in Action: Completing The Job
      Reply #1: Jun 01, 2020 02:25:11 pm
      I haven't seen Nathanael Clyne in any of the training pics or videos so far. I take it he won't be returning??

Is he still under contract?
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #2: Jun 01, 2020 02:31:24 pm
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #3: Jun 01, 2020 02:58:08 pm
      Let's just get the job done, it is long overdue, the trophy is coming back to Anfield !
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #4: Jun 01, 2020 03:48:00 pm
      Let's just get the job done, it is long overdue, the trophy is coming back to Anfield !

So for those who like discussing the team....do you expect our lineup will remain basically static during these matches. We will playing three matches per week, correct?

Is the arrangement to allow 5 subs per match like what they're doing in Germany?

I wonder if we can expect the team to feature the same pressing and tempo, or will that be adjusted. So much has been written over the years about the impact of the crowd at Anfield (most of it true), I'm interested to see what we are like playing in a silent stadium.
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #5: Jun 01, 2020 04:57:43 pm
      So I was watching a video of the first day where everybody is back in training. Thought we might talk about what to expect football-wise from these final matches. We're going to win the title of course, but what will it look like on the pitch? Let's discuss.

I expect with a crowded fixture list, we will be seeing a lot of rotation, with at least 22 players, and probably more, seeing action.

There's an overhead shot in that video as the players are singing Happy Birthday to StevenGerrard, and I count 29 players gathered. As far as I can tell they are:

GK: Alisson, Adrian, Lonergan, Kelleher

D: Lovren, Gomez, Virgil, Matip, Trent, Robbo, Neco, Larouci, Van Den Berg, Hoever

M: Hendo, Gini, Ox, Milner, Keita, Fabinho, Ox, Lallana

F: Firmino, Mane, Salah, Origi, Minamino, Jones, Elliott

(actually Virgil is not in the shot - training separately perhaps?)

There is one other player, a kid staning among the kids, standing behind Neco and between Harvey and Andrea K. Any idea who that is?
      Think Paul Glatzel has been training with the first team so could be him that you saw
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #6: Jun 01, 2020 05:44:48 pm

I doubt it, his contract expires on June 30th I think and I'd be shocked if the club done any kind of extension for him until the season is completed.

Karius has been told to stay away from training since returning from loan and I expect Clyne has probably been told the same.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #7: Jun 01, 2020 05:50:11 pm
      Maybe go for an attacking line up, from the off hitting the opposition before they can hit the ground. Although not having the crowd behind the team may be a set back, although not too big a problem. Quite frankly feel a bit sorry for the Anfield faithful, who will not be able to witness the occasion, having to rely on tv coverage.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #8: Jun 01, 2020 08:56:34 pm
      Do how about pre recorded crowd over the tannoy. Could be someone operating the volume to raise it at the appropriate times 😊
      Just a thought 😊
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #9: Jun 01, 2020 09:08:29 pm
      Do how about pre recorded crowd over the tannoy. Could be someone operating the volume to raise it at the appropriate times 😊
      Just a thought 😊

They are doing that at some of the grounds in Germany. One, Dortmund I think, had a pretty good backdrop of fans chanting and singing mostly, and it sounded pretty reasonable. Another I heard earlier it was like a 6-year old kid had control of the volume and it was going up and down with no relation to the events of the match.  ;D

I think  little piped in crowd noise helps offset the strangeness of playing in an empty, silent ground. You can still hear some of the communication on the pitch, which is also interesting. None of it of course is as good as hearing Anfield roar.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #10: Jun 01, 2020 09:13:53 pm
      Think Paul Glatzel has been training with the first team so could be him that you saw

I think that is who it is. Forgot about him. Glad to learn he has recovered.

That makes me think about Rhian Brewster. I guess the Championship is supposed to start around the same time as us, isn't it? He must be hoping to end Swansea's season well and head into our preseason training with a chance to be involved with our first team.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #11: Jun 01, 2020 09:34:21 pm
      https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/397631-gallery-mane-and-keita-strike-in-training-workout-at-anfield

Team played 11v11 at Anfield today. Mane and Keita with the goals. Photos at the link.

I know we don't get to see full training videos but if they'd recorded this practice match I reckon a lot of people would have forked over a buck or two to watch it. Good to see the boys back in action.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #12: Jun 02, 2020 03:36:30 pm
      https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/397631-gallery-mane-and-keita-strike-in-training-workout-at-anfield

Team played 11v11 at Anfield today. Mane and Keita with the goals. Photos at the link.

I know we don't get to see full training videos but if they'd recorded this practice match I reckon a lot of people would have forked over a buck or two to watch it. Good to see the boys back in action.

Think they try to keep training & potential tactics under wraps as much as possible now. Towards the end of Rodgers' reign he started getting paranoid thinking people were peeking over the Melwood wall & leaking his potential formations & lineups, so the club ended up fitting massive blinds around the perimeter of training area which are pulled over when training is ongoing
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #13: Jun 02, 2020 05:47:34 pm
      They are doing that at some of the grounds in Germany. One, Dortmund I think, had a pretty good backdrop of fans chanting and singing mostly, and it sounded pretty reasonable. Another I heard earlier it was like a 6-year old kid had control of the volume and it was going up and down with no relation to the events of the match.  ;D

I think  little piped in crowd noise helps offset the strangeness of playing in an empty, silent ground. You can still hear some of the communication on the pitch, which is also interesting. None of it of course is as good as hearing Anfield roar.

Perhaps more importantly for TV, it will drown out the players swearing at each other and calling their opponents cu*ts.  ;D
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #14: Jun 02, 2020 06:07:46 pm
      Perhaps more importantly for TV, it will drown out the players swearing at each other and calling their opponents cu*ts.  ;D

Yes, I've learned ALL the German sweary words now.  ;D
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #15: Jun 02, 2020 06:11:12 pm
      Think they try to keep training & potential tactics under wraps as much as possible now. Towards the end of Rodgers' reign he started getting paranoid thinking people were peeking over the Melwood wall & leaking his potential formations & lineups, so the club ended up fitting massive blinds around the perimeter of training area which are pulled over when training is ongoing

Particularly in the week before a match I understand this - was thinking specifically of yesterday's training game. Just a passing thought really.

As it is, they show those videos of the players warming up which are not really that interesting to me. Sometimes at least they will show the players doing rondos or just basic ball drills.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #16: Jun 02, 2020 07:01:11 pm
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #17: Jun 03, 2020 10:17:30 am

Looking good already, I actually think this break will have done them the world of good, a proper genuine rest, without international football etc.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #18: Jun 03, 2020 04:39:26 pm

Didn't some coach or manager in the business confess that he deliberately rented a place in Melwood which overlooks our training ground to study our training? Perhaps not during BR's time.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #19: Jun 03, 2020 05:15:35 pm
      Didn't some coach or manager in the business confess that he deliberately rented a place in Melwood which overlooks our training ground to study our training? Perhaps not during BR's time.

I think it was Roy Hodgson, ironically he did this while he was still our manager.  ;D

He gets confused.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #20: Jun 03, 2020 05:36:28 pm
      I think it was Roy Hodgson, ironically he did this while he was still our manager.  ;D

He gets confused.

Jokes aside, I don't think it's woy. I remember this fella is with some European team.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #21: Jun 03, 2020 08:59:51 pm

Never heard that one before, but there's a good few properties which would give you a decent view of training so it wouldn't surprise me.

Mate of mine used to live on Melwood drive a few years ago, the house wasn't positioned so that he could see us train, but the odd ball did fly over into his garden from time to time
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #22: Jun 04, 2020 09:55:39 am
      Never heard that one before, but there's a good few properties which would give you a decent view of training so it wouldn't surprise me.

Mate of mine used to live on Melwood drive a few years ago, the house wasn't positioned so that he could see us train, but the odd ball did fly over into his garden from time to time

"see us train", are you an ex-player?

Quick Reply