Trending Topics

Next match: Leeds v LFC [Premier League] Mon 19th Apr @ 8:00 pm
      Elland Road

Today is the 16th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P30 W15 D7 L8

George Floyd : Aftermath

Read 3243 times
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 12,977 posts | 3117 
      • I Love My A.M.G.
      Re: George Floyd : Aftermath
      Reply #125: Jun 30, 2020 08:59:32 pm
      Wait, so in sport, if someone speaks to your “pace and power” you are being “reduced”?

Isn’t that what athletics are ultimately about? Athletic ability?

You could turn this around and say that light skinned players are being “reduced” to their non athletic attributes those being intelligence and the ability to work hard.

Sounds like confirmation bias to me.

I agree FL.

Didn't want to comment when I posted it.

So Adama Traore is "reduced" because of his ethnicity and because of his pace ?

He is Spanish/ Malian .
      Actually Born at L' Hospitalet Barcelona and is a product of the La Masia.

Its getting to be bollocks now.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 763 
      Reply #126: Jun 30, 2020 09:31:27 pm
      But they are not dealing with absolute, but opening up discusion,can't be  bad ? Less stereotyping all round wouldn't be a bad thing. Most commentators talk an awful lot of sh*te so anything to make things better.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 25,569 posts | 4133 
      Reply #127: Jun 30, 2020 09:54:42 pm
      I agree FL.

Didn't want to comment when I posted it.

So Adama Traore is "reduced" because of his ethnicity and because of his pace ?

He is Spanish/ Malian .
      Actually Born at L' Hospitalet Barcelona and is a product of the La Masia.

Its getting to be bollocks now.

I get what they are saying but I’ll be damned if we don’t end up overcompensating the opposite way when we feel we need to course correct.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 763 
      Reply #128: Jun 30, 2020 10:41:01 pm
      https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/30/politics/mississippi-state-flag-confederate-emblem-removal/index.html.120 odd years to get it off the state flag.As an aside what about the brit flag on Hawaii state flag?
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 763 
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 763 
      Reply #130: Jul 04, 2020 03:17:37 pm
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 12,977 posts | 3117 
      • I Love My A.M.G.
      Reply #131: Jul 07, 2020 07:03:38 pm
      I think anyone reading this thread seriously needs to watch

NYPD  : THE BIGGEST GANG IN NEW YORK

BBC I Player   BBC 3.

Starts off by the NYPD in numbers putting a guy down on to the sidewalk.

Same tactic as  George Floyd .............. but this is 2014  and the guy Eric Garner dies.
      Shouting many times " I Can't Breathe!"  " I Can't Breathe!"

Another guy picked up for alleged domestic assault and put in a van. Later by the time he is removed he is unconscious and has to be carried up into the the precinct police station by a load of NYPD cops.

The Bronx. 
      With it's white mobile cherry picker cranes emblazoned with NYPD on them looking at night like the Martian aliens out of War Of The Worlds .

Like one guy says...." This is one gang in America who you just cannot challenge or you with be dealt with swiftly and directly"

"Arrests make so much money for everyone right up the judicial system"

" The more arrests the more money everyone makes "

End Of The World.

" Escape From New York"  :  Video must watch   /   The Wang Chung  music as mentioned in relevant Favourite Film Soundtrack Thread

Eric Garner video 2014  https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/video/2014/dec/04/i-cant-breathe-eric-garner-chokehold-death-video
      « Last Edit: Jul 08, 2020 10:48:43 am by MIRO »
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 12,977 posts | 3117 
      • I Love My A.M.G.
      Reply #132: Jul 07, 2020 07:16:45 pm
      Washington Redskins ?

Perhaps the less obvious the San Franscisco 49'ers who I have already posted about.

Glorifying the East to West goldrush in 1849 when the white man decimated the Native American Indian population by European diseases.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 12,977 posts | 3117 
      • I Love My A.M.G.
      Reply #133: Jul 09, 2020 07:39:24 am
      https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53343967

The US police officer accused of George Floyd's murder told him to stop talking as he repeatedly gasped under the man's knee, according to court documents.

The unarmed black man cried out for his late mother and children as he said the Minneapolis policeman would kill him, transcripts from body-cam footage show.

They were disclosed in court by lawyers for one of the four officers involved.

The documents offer the clearest picture yet of Mr Floyd's last moments. His death in May sparked global uproar.

It led to a wave of anti-racism protests led by the Black Lives Matter movement, and stirred debate and reflection in the US over the country's history of slavery and segregation.

All four officers involved in taking Mr Floyd into custody were fired and arrested. Derek Chauvin, who knelt on his neck, faces several charges including second-degree murder, while the other three - Thomas Lane, J Alexander Kueng and Tou Thao - are charged with aiding and abetting murder.

The transcripts were made public on Thursday as Mr Lane's lawyers asked for the case against him to be dismissed.

Warning: Some readers may find the content below distressing.

What do the transcripts show?
      Until now, eyewitness footage shared on social media revealed most of what was known about Mr Floyd's arrest and his final moments.

The new transcripts give a more detailed account, shedding light on significant parts of the encounter, from the time Mr Lane and Mr Kueng arrived at the scene, to the point where Mr Floyd was given CPR in an ambulance.

Transcripts of footage recorded by body cameras fitted to Mr Lane and Mr Kueng show Mr Floyd said more than 20 times he could not breathe as he was restrained by the officers in a Minneapolis street.

They confronted him outside a convenience store where he was suspected of having used a forged $20 note to buy cigarettes.

At one point, a handcuffed Mr Floyd, while pinned down on the road next to the police car, gasps that he cannot breathe, adding: "You're going to kill me, man."

Mr Chauvin, who is shown in bystander footage appearing to kneel on Mr Floyd's neck for nearly eight minutes, replies: "Then stop talking, stop yelling.

"It takes heck of a lot of oxygen to talk."

The transcripts show Mr Floyd appears co-operative at the beginning of the arrest, repeatedly apologising to the officers after they approach his parked car.

Mr Lane asks Mr Floyd to show his hands at least 10 times before ordering him to get out of the vehicle.

In response to one of the demands to see his hands, Mr Floyd says: "Man, I got, I got shot the same way, Mr Officer, before." It is not clear what he is referring to.

At one point Mr Lane says: "Why's he getting all squirrelly and not showing us his hands and just being all weird like that?"

The officers then handcuff Mr Floyd and try to put him into the back of their police car. As they do, Mr Floyd becomes agitated, repeatedly pleading that he is claustrophobic.

Mr Lane asks if he is "on something". Mr Floyd replies: "I'm scared, man."

According to another document, Mr Lane told investigators that once in the car, Mr Floyd began "thrashing back and forth"

Officers then pulled him out of the car and to the ground. Pinned on the floor, according to the transcript, Mr Floyd cries out a dozen times: "Mama."

He says: "Can't believe this, man. Mom, love you. Love you.

"Tell my kids I love them. I'm dead."

At one point, when Mr Floyd continues to plead he can't breathe, Mr Lane asks Mr Chauvin: "Should we roll him on his side?"

The officer responds: "No, he's staying put where we got him."

Mr Chauvin's lawyers have not commented on the documents since they were made public.

The transcripts were released in support of a legal bid to dismiss the criminal charges against Mr Lane, a rookie officer who was days into the job when Mr Floyd's death happened.

Mr Lane's lawyer Earl Gray, who filed the documents, argued that it was "not fair or reasonable" for his client to stand trial on the charges.

The new court documents include a transcript of Mr Lane's interview with investigators from Minnesota's Bureau of Criminal Apprehension.

In the interview, Mr Lane talked through the first crucial moments of his encounter with Mr Floyd.

Mr Lane said he pulled his gun out and ordered Mr Floyd to show his hands after approaching his car and seeing him "sitting with his hands down below the seat".

Pictures from inside the car Mr Floyd was sitting in before his arrest show two crumpled $20 bills that, according to Mr Gray, were counterfeit.

Mr Lane's lawyer said two fake $20 bills were found in the car Mr Floyd was sitting in
      At the end of the interview, one of the investigators asked Mr Lane if he felt either he or Mr Chauvin had contributed to Mr Floyd's death.

"I object to that. You're not going to answer that," Mr Gray said.

Protests erupted and have continued since, across many US cities and also internationally.

Monuments of historical figures with links to the slavery in the US and other countries were re-assessed. Some were toppled or vandalised, others were taken down by authorities and institutions.

Mr Floyd's death followed the high-profile cases of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri; Eric Garner in New York; and others that have driven the Black Lives Matter movement in recent years.

Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 763 
      Reply #134: Jul 10, 2020 09:02:34 pm
      Washington Redskins ?

Perhaps the less obvious the San Franscisco 49'ers who I have already posted about.

Glorifying the East to West goldrush in 1849 when the white man decimated the Native American Indian population by European diseases.

Like ya said the gold rush/49ers is not the most obvious,so maybe start with the ones openly racist.I do think there's a danger of name changes watering down the real issues,it ain't gonna help ya get a job,or find decent housing, they did one in Boston recently Dudley square became Nubian sq,exchange one possible slave owner for another ?  :confused-smiley-013:
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 12,977 posts | 3117 
      • I Love My A.M.G.
      Reply #135: Jul 11, 2020 03:54:34 am

Like ya said the gold rush/49ers is not the most obvious,so maybe start with the ones openly racist.I do think there's a danger of name changes watering down the real issues,it ain't gonna help ya get a job,or find decent housing, they did one in Boston recently Dudley square became Nubian sq,exchange one possible slave owner for another ?  :confused-smiley-013:

If it was Nubile Square .... then I'm top of the list .
      Three apartments off plan please.  .. with the extras.

........................ ..

... and whats wrong with Dudley anyway ? ....... except that they are still wearing bell bottoms there. ;D

........................ ...

It could get stupid ... I mean ... you haven't got the Scandinavians on ya back ...yet... about the Vikings .... watch out in Minnesota.

The Native American Indians all up in arms with the Dallas Cowboys or the Kansas City Chiefs.

The Catholic church with the Arizona Cardinals......

and all the animal rights groups from Bengal Tigers to Carolina Panthers. Baltimore Ravens to Philly Eagles  ad infinitum.

You can please some of the people  all of the time ...........

It gets silly.
      « Last Edit: Jul 11, 2020 04:00:10 am by MIRO »
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 763 
      Reply #136: Jul 12, 2020 02:51:56 pm
      The cardinals named after a bird,originally from Chicago!I don't think there's an issue with the Cowboys other than it's more"movie based"cowboy rather than the reality.I am in favor of the redskins,indians, their mascot was hugely offensive changing their names and also all the college based indian nicknames.Even high school teams have dodgy names.But yeah start changing street names etc is a mostly pointless exercise,i get in some cases it might be needed,ya wouldn't want to live on Hitler ave!
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,541 posts | 677 
      Reply #137: Jul 17, 2020 08:06:55 pm
      "get off my neck"

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jul/17/get-off-my-neck-london-police-officer-suspended-after-arrest-incident

Yes some people in certain situations need to be restrained and with the virus being an issue in certain situations but is this type of restraint justified. This type of restraint can only be justified if the suspect is violently out of control. as the suspect was already handcuffed, how can this be justified. Are these Police Officers so unaware of the damage they are doing to confidence in the Police..and do they even care..
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 763 
      Reply #138: Jul 18, 2020 01:50:14 pm
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,314 posts | 5173 
      Reply #139: Jul 29, 2020 01:39:34 pm
      Jesus that's f**king horrific.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/black-nhs-worker-hit-car-22430330

The subliminal racism being driven by governments on both sides of the Atlantic needs to stop unless a full blown race war is the "end game."

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 7,289 posts | 2005 
      Reply #140: Sep 21, 2020 10:31:39 pm
      https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/sep/21/why-qpr-have-stopped-taking-a-knee-les-ferdinand

Les Ferdinand says taking a knee before kickoff is little more than good PR at this stage.

“Taking the knee was very powerful but we feel that impact has now been diluted,” Ferdinand said. “In the same way ‘Clap For Carers’ was very emotional for us all, it got to a stage where it had run its natural course and the decision was rightly made to stop it.

“Does that mean we, as a nation, don’t care or appreciate our NHS workers? Of course it doesn’t. No one is more passionate than me about this topic. I have spoken on the matter throughout my footballing life.

“Recently, I took the decision not to do any more interviews on racism in football because the debate was going around in circles. People want a nice soundbite when something happens, but how many of the media who have criticised QPR over the past 48 hours genuinely want change?

“The taking of the knee has reached a point of ‘good PR’ but little more than that. The message has been lost. It is now not dissimilar to a fancy hashtag or a nice pin badge.

“What are our plans with this? Will people be happy for players to take the knee for the next 10 years but see no actual progress made? Taking the knee will not bring about change in the game – actions will.”

I've been saying for a while that a lot more energy seems to go into the appearance of doing something good than it actually doing good (not just with this issue, btw).
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 25,569 posts | 4133 
      Reply #141: Sep 21, 2020 11:27:27 pm
      https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/sep/21/why-qpr-have-stopped-taking-a-knee-les-ferdinand

Les Ferdinand says taking a knee before kickoff is little more than good PR at this stage.

“Taking the knee was very powerful but we feel that impact has now been diluted,” Ferdinand said. “In the same way ‘Clap For Carers’ was very emotional for us all, it got to a stage where it had run its natural course and the decision was rightly made to stop it.

“Does that mean we, as a nation, don’t care or appreciate our NHS workers? Of course it doesn’t. No one is more passionate than me about this topic. I have spoken on the matter throughout my footballing life.

“Recently, I took the decision not to do any more interviews on racism in football because the debate was going around in circles. People want a nice soundbite when something happens, but how many of the media who have criticised QPR over the past 48 hours genuinely want change?

“The taking of the knee has reached a point of ‘good PR’ but little more than that. The message has been lost. It is now not dissimilar to a fancy hashtag or a nice pin badge.

“What are our plans with this? Will people be happy for players to take the knee for the next 10 years but see no actual progress made? Taking the knee will not bring about change in the game – actions will.”

I've been saying for a while that a lot more energy seems to go into the appearance of doing something good than it actually doing good (not just with this issue, btw).

I believe that’s called virtue signaling.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 7,289 posts | 2005 
      Reply #142: Sep 22, 2020 12:21:36 am
      I believe that’s called virtue signaling.

You mean the ceremonial gestures?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 25,569 posts | 4133 
      Reply #143: Sep 22, 2020 02:46:36 am

Yes, as you said, the appearance of doing something.

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 7,289 posts | 2005 
      Reply #144: Sep 22, 2020 05:19:16 am
      Yes, as you said, the appearance of doing something.

I always took virtue signaling to be about.publicly making yourself out to be better than the rest of society or than specific people with your statement about this or that PC issue. I can see where this symbolism minus action  is a close relative of that, if maybe not exactly the same thing.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 12,977 posts | 3117 
      • I Love My A.M.G.
      Reply #145: Oct 28, 2020 11:38:08 pm
      Here we go again.

Less than a week before  the U.S. Election , Philadelphia is experiencing riots and protests following the fatal shooting by the Police of a mentally ill person .

Walter Wallace was shot dead by multiple shots after brandishing a knife.

He had bi polar disorder . He was not being an imminent threat to life ..... he was actually walking up and down the road in some visible distress.

When asked why they didn't use Tasers to subdue him ....the West Philly Police said that they didn't have any on them (  !? )

They could have ...at worst ....shot him in the leg to disable him before arrest.

The Police wonder why they are subject to criticism and dividing people's opinions.

Another U.S. Police neck restraint resulting in death that happened earlier in the year is just coming to light.
      More info to follow.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 12,977 posts | 3117 
      • I Love My A.M.G.
      Reply #146: Oct 30, 2020 11:02:43 am
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,080 posts | 3224 
      Reply #147: Oct 30, 2020 01:35:16 pm
      I always took virtue signaling to be about.publicly making yourself out to be better than the rest of society or than specific people with your statement about this or that PC issue. I can see where this symbolism minus action  is a close relative of that, if maybe not exactly the same thing.

Virtue signalling is what people without empathy call the actions of those who want to make the world a better place.

It's another toxic right wing trope designed only to belittle the actions of those they disagree with.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 7,289 posts | 2005 
      Reply #148: Oct 30, 2020 02:34:31 pm
      Virtue signalling is what people without empathy call the actions of those who want to make the world a better place.

It's another toxic right wing trope designed only to belittle the actions of those they disagree with.

Kind of like this post.

I'm far from right wing, thank you. What i'm describing is rampant over here, especially on social media. Not trying to make anything better, but just bashing opposing opinions in context of "isn't it good that we're better than they are?"

What I'm opposed to is mob mentality or groupthink and demagoguing differences of opinion. There is little to no free thought or open discourse anymore, and therefore, very little chance for the world becoming a better place.

"Making" the world a better place will by nature have to be the result of the collective, not just one side asserting their moral superiority over the knuckle-draggers. It will take all of us for it to happen. We are nowhere close to that being possible.

« Last Edit: Oct 30, 2020 02:40:26 pm by Robby The Z »
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 25,569 posts | 4133 
      Reply #149: Oct 30, 2020 02:43:23 pm

That’s not even remotely true. But it’s a nice straw man.

I’d argue I have more empathy than you could ever hope to have, but I judge people by their actions not their words.

Quick Reply