Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Everton?

Alisson
      30 (34.5%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      2 (2.3%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      5 (5.7%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      8 (9.2%)
       Fabinho
      5 (5.7%)
      Naby Keïta
      28 (32.2%)
      Sadio Mane
      5 (5.7%)
      Takumi Minamino
      2 (2.3%)
      Roberto Firmino
      1 (1.1%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Dejan Lovren
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      1 (1.1%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Voting closed: Jun 25, 2020 08:51:33 pm

Everton 0-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 17831 times
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Re: Everton 0-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #253: Jun 22, 2020 10:30:38 am
      As dour as it was, it was due to one team trying to play footy and score goals, and the other putting up s defensive wall and looking for a lucky break.

And they say they weren’t concerned about playing us. FFS they looked terrified to come out of their own box aside from about 5 moments, and of course when they decided to target Lovren last 10 mins.
      And you know what, bitters will be celebrating that point. Sad bas**rds.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #254: Jun 22, 2020 10:39:51 am
      1st game back v the Everton, had draw written all over it, and so it proved. Considering we had no salah & robbo, and then lost milner & Matip to injuries, and they almost got a very undeserved lucky goal. I take the point and 1 step closer to the title.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #255: Jun 22, 2020 10:49:41 am
      The other good thing is they go from that tough away game to playing us with very little rest while we have the full week to get ready for it.

Hmm, not sure how much of an advantage that is for us to be honest, they play Chelsea on Thursday then the Geordies in FA cup on Sunday, where they can probably rotate quite heavily, then us on Thursday. If anything its an advantage to them as its an extra match to find rhythm etc.  If I was Jürgen I'd almost be tempted to arrange another friendly in between Palace and City.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #256: Jun 22, 2020 10:53:39 am
      It does look pretty obvious to me that we aren't going to steamroll through the rest of the season. 

I'm sure we'll win the league at some point over the next 2 or 3 games and then the last five games will be played at a more pedestrian pace.  If City had pushed us harder this season we might have got 100+ points but from this point forward I don't see it happening now.

Weirdly, the fact we didn't beat Everton might make the game v City a much more interesting spectacle than it would have been otherwise. 
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #257: Jun 22, 2020 11:06:15 am
      It does look pretty obvious to me that we aren't going to steamroll through the rest of the season. 

I'm sure we'll win the league at some point over the next 2 or 3 games and then the last five games will be played at a more pedestrian pace.  If City had pushed us harder this season we might have got 100+ points but from this point forward I don't see it happening now.

Weirdly, the fact we didn't beat Everton might make the game v City a much more interesting spectacle than it would have been otherwise. 

I'm not so sure, yes we had an iffy game yesterday, but it was against an Ancelotti ultra defensive team, similar to Napoli. We simply have not found a way yet how to beat teams like that but luckily there aren't many teams who play that well defensively or who want to play like that.
      The real test is Wednesday, as silly as it sounds its almost an must win game because if we lose that then some jitters might start to creep in, especially if City then beat us.
      I don't think that will happen though, I think we'll beat both of them as I think City will be desperate to beat us, leaving them open to our counter attack and surely we must have enough to beat Palace at Anfield, I think we'll see a good reaction and with those 2 results and the league secured we'll go on another winning streak until the end of the season and smash the points record setting a record that will never be beaten.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #258: Jun 22, 2020 11:24:49 am
      Did Lovern play on the right? He likes to be on the right... the far right I believe.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #259: Jun 22, 2020 11:49:38 am
      Hmm, not sure how much of an advantage that is for us to be honest, they play Chelsea on Thursday then the Geordies in FA cup on Sunday, where they can probably rotate quite heavily, then us on Thursday. If anything its an advantage to them as its an extra match to find rhythm etc.  If I was Jürgen I'd almost be tempted to arrange another friendly in between Palace and City.

My bad thought we were the next game after them not the FA cup
      Redrew
      • Forum Youth Player

• 21 posts |
      Reply #260: Jun 22, 2020 12:08:04 pm
      2 issues carried forward from pre Covid:
      Lackluster offense
      Lovren

Their lack of shots on net is stunning.
      The sucktitude of Lovren is not
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #261: Jun 22, 2020 12:22:58 pm
      Their lack of shots on net is stunning.

We were definitely restricted to attempts from free kicks or corners.

I remember Firmino dragging a shot wide but there wasn't much else from free play.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #262: Jun 22, 2020 12:29:32 pm
      On the subs front..all 9 of them. JoGo came on for Jim lad...then the Ox came out for second half replacing Mini.Then Div came on for Bobby..then Gini for Nabby..then enter the dragon..Mr.Lovren for Joey Mat. 5 subs..not often yer see that and unfortunately the only one who had an impact was Mr.Lovren..and that was a bit negative..(he fell over..twice).

I'd rather see the team selected given almost the full game unless their injured or having a 'mare.
      « Last Edit: Jun 22, 2020 12:34:38 pm by Harrisimo »
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #263: Jun 22, 2020 01:36:27 pm
      They came with a game plan to stifle us and try to nick something, with us trying to break them down.

On another day, closer to decent form we could maybe have managed that, but the rustiness was evident.

We had spells where things clicked into place a bit better, but not enough of them, and not sustained.
      We're getting there though.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #264: Jun 22, 2020 01:42:10 pm
      On the subs front..all 9 of them. JoGo came on for Jim lad...then the Ox came out for second half replacing Mini.Then Div came on for Bobby..then Gini for Nabby..then enter the dragon..Mr.Lovren for Joey Mat. 5 subs..not often yer see that and unfortunately the only one who had an impact was Mr.Lovren..and that was a bit negative..(he fell over..twice).

I'd rather see the team selected given almost the full game unless their injured or having a 'mare.

I agree, none of the subs improved the team and I'm fairly sure that the starting XI had more chance of winning the game than the subs.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #265: Jun 22, 2020 03:26:16 pm
      No need for any gloom, we weren't sharp today and Ancelotti set Everton up to frustrate us, its as simple as that. Typical tight nervy Derby game, we'll win our next 2 games.

Agree with this. Ancelotti knows exactly how to nullify us and has done so more than once.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #266: Jun 22, 2020 03:37:10 pm
      Agree with this. Ancelotti knows exactly how to nullify us and has done so more than once.

To be honest it was hardly a tactical masterclass by Ancelotti and his team, I don’t think it mattered who we were playing yesterday, we weren’t going to score. We didn’t really make their defence work at all. Aside from a free header Matip missed and Firmino dragging a shot wide when he should have played in Keita, we caused them no problems at all. We seemed quite content to just pass the ball around side to side and not really get at them, we made it so easy for them to sit behind the ball and stay compact because they knew we didn’t really know what to do with the ball.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #267: Jun 22, 2020 05:16:02 pm
      To be honest it was hardly a tactical masterclass by Ancelotti and his team, I don’t think it mattered who we were playing yesterday, we weren’t going to score. We didn’t really make their defence work at all. Aside from a free header Matip missed and Firmino dragging a shot wide when he should have played in Keita, we caused them no problems at all. We seemed quite content to just pass the ball around side to side and not really get at them, we made it so easy for them to sit behind the ball and stay compact because they knew we didn’t really know what to do with the ball.

Happened several times but we nearly always found a way to win.Win ugly is the phrase bandied about but yesterday we just drew a blank. Can't give them to much stick as it was evident we were ring rusty. No panic obviously...it's coming home for sure even if the party is stifled somewhat.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #268: Jun 22, 2020 05:19:17 pm
      A very boring affair in the end after all the build up, nevermind. We were below average but that's hardly unexpected. It can be hard to score against a team sitting as deep as Everton did at the best of times, and especially so given the major lay off everyone's had. I don't think this was helped by the changing line up throughout the game, particularly the front three.

That said, it just wasn't really good enough. I was big enough to give my a dad (a blue) a father's day call afterwards to congratulate him on the high point of their season!

Hope to see better on Wednesday, and I think we will.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #269: Jun 22, 2020 06:33:17 pm
      Very strange game, flat and boring, pretty much what we all expected with it being the first game back. We were a bit rusty going forward but we still dominated and controlled the game. It was like a passing training exercise for us.

Everton’s game plan worked. They showed no attacking intent and played for a draw. I don’t think their fans would have allowed that if the ground was full and they’d have been on their players backs to close us down more, so the empty stadium played its part too.

I thought the absence of Salah was noticeable. He can frustrate me immensely at times but he obviously offers a huge threat with his pace, energy and quality. I’ve not been impressed with minamino in a red shirt so far and ox’s days out wide are long gone, he’s only effective from the middle.

We also missed Robertson who brings natural width down the left flank. Milly  and Gomez are both great pro’s but it’s just not the same as having a natural left footer and somebody who is as good as what Andy is.

Only criticism I have is dejan Lovren. I know it’s harsh to go in on somebody after they’ve not played for so long but he isn’t good enough for us, not even as backup.  I watched the game with my mate who’s a blue and when Lovren came on I said ‘I’d rather play with ten men’. And he laughed and said surely not? And I said honestly i would because dejan causes us far more problems than what we would have if we just had ten men.

Fast forward a couple of minutes and dejan makes two or three huge mistakes and we very nearly lost the game because of it. Anybody who thinks he’s ‘alright’ or ‘can do a job’ are kidding themselves. He’s a nightmare.

In hindsight, klopp should have dropped Fabinho into the back four, put Henderson into the holding role, put the ox into the middle and then brought Salah or Elliott on out wide.

But a point away at Everton in our first game back where we saw a lot of the ball and could shake the cobwebs off and get some practice is very good. 2 more games and the title is ours. Up the reds.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #270: Jun 22, 2020 06:39:17 pm
      I just watched a bit of the game again and it wasn't as bad as I remembered, we were fully jn control and were trying some good things, just missed that crisp play we normally have in the final third, we'll be fine, watch out Palace!
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #271: Jun 23, 2020 10:59:50 am
      Very strange game, flat and boring, pretty much what we all expected with it being the first game back. We were a bit rusty going forward but we still dominated and controlled the game. It was like a passing training exercise for us.

Everton’s game plan worked. They showed no attacking intent and played for a draw. I don’t think their fans would have allowed that if the ground was full and they’d have been on their players backs to close us down more, so the empty stadium played its part too.

I thought the absence of Salah was noticeable. He can frustrate me immensely at times but he obviously offers a huge threat with his pace, energy and quality. I’ve not been impressed with minamino in a red shirt so far and ox’s days out wide are long gone, he’s only effective from the middle.

We also missed Robertson who brings natural width down the left flank. Milly  and Gomez are both great pro’s but it’s just not the same as having a natural left footer and somebody who is as good as what Andy is.

Only criticism I have is dejan Lovren. I know it’s harsh to go in on somebody after they’ve not played for so long but he isn’t good enough for us, not even as backup.  I watched the game with my mate who’s a blue and when Lovren came on I said ‘I’d rather play with ten men’. And he laughed and said surely not? And I said honestly i would because dejan causes us far more problems than what we would have if we just had ten men.

Fast forward a couple of minutes and dejan makes two or three huge mistakes and we very nearly lost the game because of it. Anybody who thinks he’s ‘alright’ or ‘can do a job’ are kidding themselves. He’s a nightmare.

In hindsight, klopp should have dropped Fabinho into the back four, put Henderson into the holding role, put the ox into the middle and then brought Salah or Elliott on out wide.

But a point away at Everton in our first game back where we saw a lot of the ball and could shake the cobwebs off and get some practice is very good. 2 more games and the title is ours. Up the reds.

THIS....

Can’t add anything else, great post.

Y  N  W  A

LadyGuinnie
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts | 12 
      Reply #272: Jun 23, 2020 01:15:17 pm
      Fair assessment. Not the ideal game for either side to start the remaining games with.

Yes we do need forward cover due to Afcon with players missing ...thats why my money is on Adama Traore coming in.
      Traore would be very welcome. He has that ability to turn matches, create havoc, open up spaces for others. I think there are more goals in his game than he currently shows; in that sense he could be another Salah. The biggest problem I can see is that the current financial uncertainty makes big acquisitions questionable, notwithstanding Chelsea's opening up the purse with two big buys. Clubs otherwise are being very cautious. So I think our club would be more likely to engage in a swap, or a 'sell to buy' plan. And a 'sell to buy' plan involving 'nearly there' players such as Wilson, Grujic, probably won't fetch the same reward in transfer fees as the club is used to. This needs some ingenuity on Michael Edwards part to pull off the kind of deals that will move us forward.
      LadyGuinnie
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts | 12 
      Reply #273: Jun 23, 2020 01:18:24 pm
      Just want to  hand it to some of you for immediately getting back to mid-season form when it comes to magnifying every possible negative and making a season-long romp to the title look like a perpetual crisis en route to a colossal failure of a campaign.

You have no equal when it comes to seeing things glass-half-empty. None.
      Chalk it up to anxiety based on lack of confidence. That says something, I have to admit, with a 20 point lead.
      LadyGuinnie
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts | 12 
      Reply #274: Jun 23, 2020 01:27:49 pm
      1st game back v the Everton, had draw written all over it, and so it proved. Considering we had no salah & robbo, and then lost milner & Matip to injuries, and they almost got a very undeserved lucky goal. I take the point and 1 step closer to the title.
      I thought Ancelloti outcoached Klopp to some degree, in that he picked the perfect tactics for his and our teams. I think he now has the formula there to move Everton higher. They showed a teamwork that our team lacked to some degree, although it's a bit harder to play Klopp's brand than Ancelloti's due to a higher complexity. Moves on our side tended to break down more easily with certain players, noticeably Ox and Trent. And Lovren was dreadful. Practice will take care of it, but you have to give credit to Pep for having his team thoroughly primed, whereas our team is lagging. Jürgen needs to show a ruthless streak, starting against Palace tomorrow.
      LadyGuinnie
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts | 12 
      Reply #275: Jun 23, 2020 01:30:19 pm
      Carlo set Everton up as if it was an AC Milan away game shut out. He went into Italian defensive mode.Parked the bus in the second half and plenty of the first half. Somebody should tell him he's in the Premier league now...he only got away with it as the fans were missing.
      Carlo has little choice with the players available to him. But all of his players stepped up and did a job.

Quick Reply