Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Pre-Match: Liverpool v Crystal Palace (24 June 2020 - 8:15pm)

Read 6893 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Pre-Match: Liverpool v Crystal Palace (24 June 2020 - 8:15pm)
      Reply #23: Jun 23, 2020 10:41:14 pm
      Are people really still peddling the 1 in 5 stuff

Okay then, 1 in 4, because that 1 game since lockdown makes a massive difference.

Been found out ?! Is this some sort of joke

Teams know to sit back, stay compact and try to hit us on the break, and it’s been working. It’s not hard to understand.

If you think a scraped 2-1 win vs Bournemouth, in a game where we went behind after again being hit on a break, as our only win in that span of games isn’t a slight cause for concern that’s up to you, but I’m not going to sit in denial and pretend that there isn’t something that isn’t quite clicking.

Unless you think everything has been fine for the last 4, or 5 games depending on whether you want to include the Bitters and we don’t need to improve our performances? That our goals haven’t been drying up? That we haven’t been conceding too many?

I apologise for wanting to see us go back to where we were assured and confidently seeing off games with win after win and clean sheet after clean sheet.

couple of GK errors knocked us out of the CL

I thought the narrative was it wasn’t Adrian’s fault?
      « Last Edit: Jun 23, 2020 10:50:11 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #24: Jun 23, 2020 10:53:39 pm
      Okay then, 1 in 4, because that 1 game since lockdown makes a massive difference.

Teams know to sit back, stay compact and try to hit us on the break, and it’s been working. It’s not hard to understand.

If you think a scraped 2-1 win vs Bournemouth, in a game where we went behind after again being hit on a break, as our only win in that span of games isn’t a slight cause for concern that’s up to you, but I’m not going to sit in denial and pretend that there isn’t something that isn’t quite clicking.

Unless you think everything has been fine for the last 4, or 5 games depending on whether you want to include the Bitters and we don’t need to improve our performances? That our goals haven’t been drying up? That we haven’t been conceding too many?

:lmao: My god you are serious

Lost for words , really staggered

We had a couple of scrappy games 3 months ago where we lost once in the league , lumping cup games together is irrelevant , it was months ago

And then we come back for our first game after a long lockdown in a Derby that’s always going to be a tight bitty affair

It’s almost as if people were desperate to be that critical.

All that matters is getting 5 points , it can be 5 scrappy draws for all I care and don’t understand why people being a bit too critical of a team that is on track to break the points tally in a season.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #25: Jun 23, 2020 10:55:38 pm
      :lmao: My god you are serious

Lost for words , really staggered

We had a couple of scrappy games 3 months ago where we lost once in the league , lumping cup games together is irrelevant , it was months ago

And then we come back for our first game after a long lockdown in a Derby that’s always going to be a tight bitty affair

It’s almost as if people were desperate to be that critical.

All that matters is getting 5 points , it can be 5 scrappy draws for all I care and don’t understand why people being a bit too critical of a team that is on track to break the points tally in a season.

I don’t know what the issue is. Why is it so long as everyone is praising the team, saying how much the sun shines out of everyone’s arse, saying how good we are etc then it’s happy days all around. But the second anything critical, that has become apparent because we are used to having such a high standard now, the backs go up, the chests come out and people go shooting on up to that moral high ground with the sarcasm and snideness right up there with them...”where’s this come from?”, “how can you say that after we’ve done this and that”.

It’s not a bad thing being critical and it’s only because we are used to such a high standard and want to maintain it. You think Klopp doesn’t remind the players they need to maintain their levels? Doesn’t tell them their standard has slipped a bit despite all we’ve achieved? Of course he does!

Really is pathetic.
      « Last Edit: Jun 23, 2020 11:01:06 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #26: Jun 23, 2020 11:00:26 pm
      I don’t know what the issue is. Why is it so long as everyone is praising the team, saying how much the sun shines out of everyone’s arse, saying how good we are etc then it’s happy days all around. But the second anything critical, that has become apparent because we are used to having such a high standard now, the backs go up, the chests come out and people go shooting on up to that moral high ground with the sarcasm and snideness right up there with them...”where’s this come from?”, “how can you say that after we’ve done this and that”.

It’s not a bad thing being critical and it’s only because we are used to such a high standard and want to maintain it.

I could understand it if there wasn’t a 3 month break in between the games - if the Derby was straight after getting Knocked out of the CL and FA Cup but it’s world away now , the squad has been away for ages and unfortunately for us the first game back was the Derby at their place where they were always going to be 11 behind the ball. It was close to a pre season game.

If in 2/3 weeks time the performances are still suffering then it’s potentially time to look but let’s give them time to at least get back up and running again.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #27: Jun 23, 2020 11:07:46 pm

I could understand it if there wasn’t a 3 month break in between the games - if the Derby was straight after getting Knocked out of the CL and FA Cup but it’s world away now , the squad has been away for ages and unfortunately for us the first game back was the Derby at their place where they were always going to be 11 behind the ball. It was close to a pre season game.

If in 2/3 weeks time the performances are still suffering then it’s potentially time to look but let’s give them time to at least get back up and running again.

I don’t get it, that’s a much more reasonable reply without all the snideness. Why not have just said that in the first place?

That’s why I wasn’t focussing just on the Derby, it’s clear as day to see that we weren’t at our best before the break and as a result we got eliminated from 2 competitions and got battered by Watford. Saying we slipped from our high standard and hit a patchy bit of form isn’t needed to be taken so personally by people. If you are getting results like that compared to winning every week, hammering home the goals, letting in barely any goals then it’s obvious something isn’t quite right and is showing that we have room for improvement and need to get more clinical, stay more concentrated, be sharper etc.

I know there was a break of however long, but IMO, the performance vs Everton was far too similar to what we were playing like in the games before the break, that was my issue. I think I just expected to see a bit more urgency and determination. Perhaps I was expecting too much given the break, I don’t know.

If we were still playing to our capabilities then do you think that spell of games would have ended the way they did? I don’t, not a chance because we’ve shown all season up to that point what we are capable of.

It just seems that the second someone reads something slightly critical, they go full on defensive without thinking “yeah actually, we aren’t playing to the level we can”.

If you employ someone and they are a great worker for you, if you notice they aren’t quite as good for a month or whatever are you going to let it slide or are you going to think “okay something isn’t quite right here”?. It’s the same principle.

Hopefully vs Palace we can be a bit more back to our old selves which we have become so used to seeing now.
      « Last Edit: Jun 23, 2020 11:13:57 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #28: Jun 24, 2020 10:02:04 am
      Defo missed Robbo's energy down the left, so hopefully should create a lot more with him playing, and for me Gomez and Van dijk all day long,and hopefully Firmino can find some form, thought he was way off it,on sunday, should still have more than enough for Palace

I'd actually be quite tempted to play Minamino or Ox instead of Bobby, I think they could be equally good at being that link man, perhaps even better.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #29: Jun 24, 2020 10:06:36 am
      I honestly don't know why anyone's worried. We're always slow returning from a one or two week break, never mind a three month one and having our first game back against a bag of sh*te that think a draw against us is a win, win wasn't ideal.

In the second half against the ev I could see the old Liverpool turning the screw and pushing them back, unfortunately they had a couple of chances and remarkably they upped their game as soon as the right wing stalwart lovren came on, when a whole team ups their game when they see one of your players come on then you know you've got a problem.

We'll be golden, we'll win by a two goal margin tonight easily.

Yes we are slow after a break but why, If you look at City then its obvious that its possible to hit the ground running so why don't we? I know our play is quite technical but then so is City's.

Anyway as for the game I'm nervous but I do think we'll win this, it could actually be quite comfortable as well, but it depends how rusty Mo is but even if he is he'll be dragging defenders all over the place, leaving gaps for Sadio and the others. Having Robbo back will also make a big difference although he'll no doubt be rusty as well, but same as Mo it will still be a big distraction for their defenders at the very least.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #30: Jun 24, 2020 10:13:54 am
      I'd actually be quite tempted to play Minamino or Ox instead of Bobby, I think they could be equally good at being that link man, perhaps even better.

When he’s on form, there isn’t anyone better !
      And as for.....
      First game back, Derby, bitters 11 behind the ball tactic. Poor performance has to be expected.
      That may be so, but I foresee most teams playing that tactic against us now.
      We just need to be able to overcome it, not sure if that’s down to us changing tactics, or just personnel !
      Feeling a bit nervy about tonight’s game to be fair, as I’m sure Woy will set them up similar to bitters.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #31: Jun 24, 2020 10:42:41 am

You're talking about a guy who is the best at what he does in the League, possibly Europe, and you want Chamberlain there after one tight Derby game?

On a wind up again I imagine.
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #32: Jun 24, 2020 10:47:07 am
      Come on, as if you actually think that
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #33: Jun 24, 2020 10:52:22 am
      Well clearly the way we’ve been going about it hasn’t been good enough lately because we have 1 win in 5 games which says to me we’ve been found out a bit. Watford, Bournemouth, Everton, Atlético and Chelsea all knew to sit deep and wait to hit us on the counter. When teams are just sat with everyone behind the ball we may well try changing it up but it isn’t working of late is it.

Though admittedly on my behalf, it was badly written because in terms of “mixing it up”, it was in reference to using our bench effectively when we need to change a game. I didn’t word my post very well.

Thing is, ever since Klopp really got his system going, I've been hearing (or reading) about how we've been "found out" every time we hit some patchy form.

The fact is, that we've found a way to win more often than not.

Teams have been parking the bus against us for years, and we still keep getting results for the most part.

It's football, there'll be times when it doesn't quite come off for us, for a variety of reasons, so I think the "found out" thing is a bit overblown.
      Same with bench options.
      I'm sure we'd all like top quality options off the bench, but it's not going to happen for the foreseeable, and what we have has served us pretty well so far.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #34: Jun 24, 2020 10:58:14 am

Ox can't play the false no.9 role as he doesn't link play they way Bobby does and it would be a waste of his explosive speed and power to play him up top.

I think Minamino can play this role but he's still learning Klopps system so will need more time to get to Bobby's level of understanding.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #35: Jun 24, 2020 11:05:58 am
      Yes we are slow after a break but why, If you look at City then its obvious that its possible to hit the ground running so why don't we? I know our play is quite technical but then so is City's.

City played two absolute rubbish teams since we've restarted.

We've played away to one team who are in good form with a good manager who set them up to defend for 90 mins while we were missing two key players.

So it's hardly a like for like situation.

Let's see how we get on tonight before we berate our team for not restarting as fast as City have.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #36: Jun 24, 2020 11:20:55 am

WTF

So let me get this right

When we didn’t sign Werner you cried and cried about not having good back up and players on the bench not good enough to step in and you included Minamino in that list

And now you suggest he could be better than Bobby  :mad: :mad: :mad:

At first I thought you were just a bit clueless and maybe something is lost in translation now  I just think you are on a wind up
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #37: Jun 24, 2020 11:21:03 am
      Couldn't give a F**k about city.

I'm interested in LFC, not F***ing crying about other teams.

5 more points.
      COYR
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #38: Jun 24, 2020 12:00:02 pm

Alisson

Trent   Gomez   Virgil   Robbo

Henderson
                                                  Keita.                      Gini

Salah.    Bobby.    Mane

Bench; Adrian, Matip, Williams, Fabinho, Ox, Origi, Elliot

This to me is one of if not the best X1’s we can use to get us back on track albeit still a bit rusty, a midfield of Keita & Minamino with Hendo didn’t work for me, the one above is more experienced and has a better balance about it, I was tempted to play AOC, but Naby played well V Blueshite and needs a run of games to see him at his best,
      the derby is always a tough encounter at the best of times, playing one after a 3 month break will never produce a classic performance or allow us to play like the well oiled machine we were previously,  it will take us 2/3 games to get our flow back so I’m not to worried about the outcome of initial re-start matches,

Having said that there is no doubt that the neg-heads will have sharpened their claws waiting for us to F**k things up, we have 8 games left with a maximum of 24 Pts on offer, we need 5 of them, so there is absolutely no pressure at all or to get our panties all twisted up,

I can see a better all round performance tonight with plenty more endeavour & passion, Palace will be more open than Blueshite were although for Woy he’ll veer on the side of caution, they have a decent record against us but I seriously doubt they will up to the level they will need to do us.

3-0 Champions

Y  N  W  A
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #39: Jun 24, 2020 12:00:17 pm
      THIS is the key match on the run-in for me.

Get a win, 1-0, 2-1, 6-0, don't care what or how, just get the win.

We would then need 1 win or 2 draws to seal the deal and, more to the point, City could afford no slip up (not that they've looked much like slipping since the restart!) as any dropped points would give us the title.

Had a ticket for this match so be bitter-sweet watching this tonight but it's all about the result.

COME ON YOU MIGHTY REDS!!!
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #40: Jun 24, 2020 12:01:34 pm
      :lmao: That won't happen
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #41: Jun 24, 2020 12:05:25 pm
      City played two absolute rubbish teams since we've restarted.

We've played away to one team who are in good form with a good manager who set them up to defend for 90 mins while we were missing two key players.

That's not entirely true!  No team was in good form due to the 3 month lay-off and Everton hadn't won in their last 3 prior to playing us.

More accurate would be to say the away derby is always a tough game for us hence we've only won 1 of the last 8 or 9, mainly ending in draws.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #42: Jun 24, 2020 12:06:48 pm

Alisson

Henderson

Salah.    Bobby.    Mane

This to me is one of if not the best X1’s we can use to get us back on track albeit still a bit rusty, a midfield of Keita & Minamino with Hendo didn’t work for me, the one above is more experienced and has a better balance about it, I was tempted to play AOC, but Naby played well V Blueshite and needs a run of games to see him at his best,
      the derby is always a tough encounter at the best of times, playing one after a 3 month break will never produce a classic performance or allow us to play like the well oiled machine we were previously,  it will take us 2/3 games to get our flow back so I’m not to worried about the outcome of initial re-start matches,

Having said that there is no doubt that the neg-heads will have sharpened their claws waiting for us to f**k things up, we have 8 games left with a maximum of 24 Pts on offer, we need 5 of them, so there is absolutely no pressure at all or to get our panties all twisted up,

I can see a better all round performance tonight with plenty more endeavour & passion, Palace will be more open than Blueshite were although for Woy he’ll veer on the side of caution, they have a decent record against us but I seriously doubt they will up to the level they will need to do us.

3-0 Champions

Y  N  W  A
      Yeah, I'm with you on that starting line-up Billy
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #43: Jun 24, 2020 12:09:08 pm

Alisson

Henderson

Salah.    Bobby.    Mane

Having said that there is no doubt that the neg-heads will have sharpened their claws waiting for us to F**k things up, we have 8 games left with a maximum of 24 Pts on offer, we need 5 of them, so there is absolutely no pressure at all or to get our panties all twisted up,

3-0 Champions

Y  N  W  A

Plus it's always nice to get one over on Hodgson.

I'd prefer to see Henderson in front of Fabinho.
      Fabinho grew into the match on Sunday, after a couple of dodgy moments, and our attack looked better when Henderson was further up driving it and dictating the pace, while also offering valuable support on the right to Minamino and TAA.
      « Last Edit: Jun 24, 2020 12:14:11 pm by Swab »
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #44: Jun 24, 2020 12:11:37 pm

they have a decent record against us but I seriously doubt they will up to the level they will need to do us.
      Used to be thought of as a bit of a bogey side, but the truth is we've won the last 6 matches against Palace and furthermore, we've won the last 7 at their place!
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #45: Jun 24, 2020 12:43:36 pm
      That's not entirely true!  No team was in good form due to the 3 month lay-off and Everton hadn't won in their last 3 prior to playing us.

More accurate would be to say the away derby is always a tough game for us hence we've only won 1 of the last 8 or 9, mainly ending in draws.

Ok but Arsenal and Burnley were particularly abysmal in comparison to other teams in the restart.

1 point away in the derby isn't even a bad result. I doubt City would have wolloped the Mancs away first game back.

Quick Reply