Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Pre-Match: Liverpool v Crystal Palace (24 June 2020 - 8:15pm)

Read 6911 times
      LadyGuinnie
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts | 12 
      Re: Pre-Match: Liverpool v Crystal Palace (24 June 2020 - 8:15pm)
      Reply #46: Jun 24, 2020 01:09:35 pm
      The Hendo Fabinho combo isn't always the answer.Playing the Ox with these two poses a problem as if the Ox has to play wide he isn't very effective. Very often the front 3 pick themselves but the 3 midfield are in constant flux.

Hendo,Keita,Fab,Gini,The Ox, Lallana, Shaq...Jones maybe. We all have our midfield line up and sometimes the Gaffa gets the balance slightly off. For this game my front 6 is: Mane,Firmino,Salah,Hendo,Ox,Gini.

I want the Ox in the hole just off the front 3..Hendo and Gini supporting but deeper with Hendo playing off the back 4. That's my shout anyway.
      Both Oxo and Naby are excellent carriers of the ball normally, which gives us a different way to break out than the long pass. Both have what it takes to add important goals. Oxo is only a moderately good passer, though. Naby is an excellent short-medium passer, but not so much long. So I think we lose something in the passing game when they both play in MF. If our regular long passing game isn't working, we come up short, and that was the situation in Trent's case. Two kinds of pass have featured heavily in his effectiveness; the 'out ball' to Salah down the right touch-line, and the cross-field switch to Robertson. Against Everton I think the lack of those two players hurt our effectiveness just in Trent's effectiveness alone. Mino's touchline effectiveness isn't the same as Salah's, and I think Klopp needs to find a better way to use him, probably more in-field.
      LadyGuinnie
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts | 12 
      Reply #47: Jun 24, 2020 01:14:55 pm
      I'd like to see us shoot more.
      But the chances have to be genuine, otherwise the ball hits legs and torsos all the time. Finding that final pass has been a feature of our game for a couple of years, and we were a bit ineffective in that area. Our shooting-range free kicks need to be a bit sharper, too, though Fabinho of all people came close. Salah and Trent need to bring more to this.
      LadyGuinnie
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts | 12 
      Reply #48: Jun 24, 2020 01:21:42 pm
      Are people really still peddling the 1 in 5 stuff  :mad: :mad:

We have had a massive break inbetween ffs

Been found out ?! Is this some sort of joke

What the hell has gone on during the lockdown ?

We have lost once all season in the league , lost in the FA Cup with half a strong team and a couple of GK errors knocked us out of the CL

It's called "We were so close just before the lockdown and we are anxious because our victory celebration after 30 years of drought has been delayed by a cruel trick of fate". Or something like that. In my rational moments I'm cool. Then the anxiety sets in, and I play all the "what if" scenarios as to how it can still go wrong. Sure, why worry over what isn't likely to happen? But we are human, so we do it.
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #49: Jun 24, 2020 01:22:35 pm
      NB: Team no longer available

If i was Klopp, but thank god I am not.

1-0 win for us not a bad side palace, a side full of proper athletes.
      Mickred
      • Forum John Barnes

• 413 posts | 53 
      Reply #50: Jun 24, 2020 01:24:55 pm
      Could be tricky, i'm sure they will park the bus and hit us on the break with the pace of Zaha.

I'll go for a hopeful 2-0

YNWA
      LadyGuinnie
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts | 12 
      Reply #51: Jun 24, 2020 01:31:23 pm

I could understand it if there wasn’t a 3 month break in between the games - if the Derby was straight after getting Knocked out of the CL and FA Cup but it’s world away now , the squad has been away for ages and unfortunately for us the first game back was the Derby at their place where they were always going to be 11 behind the ball. It was close to a pre season game.

If in 2/3 weeks time the performances are still suffering then it’s potentially time to look but let’s give them time to at least get back up and running again.
      Your 'pre-season' comment gets to the core of the issue, in my opinion. In a normal summer pre-season, teams would build up slowly to fitness, play lots of friendlies to get in shape, and be properly rested with lots of player changes. This situation is like a second pre-season, without the time for full preparation. It has shown up in the lower quality of the play in general since the restart. And in the injuries that most teams have suffered in the first one or two games. The teams with the greatest depth have the best chance to shine, and I think it's generally working out that way. Doesn't necessarily favour our club; we lack depth in the front line and the wide defenders compared to, say, Man. City.
      LadyGuinnie
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts | 12 
      Reply #52: Jun 24, 2020 01:39:17 pm
      I'd actually be quite tempted to play Minamino or Ox instead of Bobby, I think they could be equally good at being that link man, perhaps even better.
      Bobby adds so much just be drawing defenders away out of their comfort zone. His quick touch is so important in turning the play upfield to exploit the space behind him that another forward has run into. He looks a bit rusty, but I think you are better to play him to get the rust off. I can't see Oxo playing that kind of role, to be honest; he's a straight-ahead speed merchant, with power and a shot. Mino can play Bobby's game, but he needs practice at it with these players. As a sub in that role, definitely. Bobby is the hardest of our players to replicate, in my opinion, because what he does isn't found in other teams.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #53: Jun 24, 2020 01:41:51 pm
      Doesn’t matter. 5 more points from 8 remaining matches. We can crawl our way there. I’ll take 5 boring draws and lose 3 up to the very last day. Call me out for lack of ambition or a disgrace to be associated with you. As long as we celebrate eventually, I don’t really care even if we lose 5-0 here or pick up sloppy points here and there. We’re looking at the big picture and end result. The war. Not the battle.

Exactly ruth. dont care how we get over the line.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #54: Jun 24, 2020 01:49:44 pm
      You're talking about a guy who is the best at what he does in the League, possibly Europe, and you want Chamberlain there after one tight Derby game?

On a wind up again I imagine.

No I'm not on wind-up, when Bobby plays well I agree he is the best at that position but very often he isn't at his best, and on those occasions why not try Minamino, MInamino is certainly not a wide player.
      LadyGuinnie
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts | 12 
      Reply #55: Jun 24, 2020 01:51:01 pm
      Ok but Arsenal and Burnley were particularly abysmal in comparison to other teams in the restart.

1 point away in the derby isn't even a bad result. I doubt City would have wolloped the Mancs away first game back.
      Arsenal are a team lacking confidence, and they don't look as though they are capable yet of playing the kind of game the coach wants. Some decent players in there, particularly up front, and some promising kids. If they stick with the coach, it's take 3-4 years at least to be a top 4 challenger. Burnley look bad enough to actually go down after losing all their remaining games. They look very dispirited, and not intent on trusting the coach. There's something not right at that club.
      LadyGuinnie
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts | 12 
      Reply #56: Jun 24, 2020 01:55:26 pm
      Could be tricky, i'm sure they will park the bus and hit us on the break with the pace of Zaha.

I'll go for a hopeful 2-0

YNWA
      Yeah. And I think they will reinforce Zaha with another physical player to gang up on Trent. Fab will have to give our RB cover. The match could hinge on this, in my opinion.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #57: Jun 24, 2020 02:07:44 pm
      You're talking about a guy who is the best at what he does in the League, possibly Europe, and you want Chamberlain there after one tight Derby game?

On a wind up again I imagine.

Not exactly. It's called "no room for error and a stick management style". The idea is all sloppiness has to be penalised and punished. It works efficiently on lazy people. So assume we penalize Bobby.

But more often than not, it sounds like this will yield the best results in theory. However the person will soon learn that this is the fastest way for his soldiers to walk out on him or worse, team up and shoot him down. Because he has no bloody patience and he does not trust his players.

Great idea. I have no patience I want the best results. Try implementing it and your players will soon lose you the match. Probably effective in simulation. But when players with egos are managed like that, tough. And good luck for being a proud and strict disciplinarian. No empathy. No Klopp hug.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #58: Jun 24, 2020 02:09:34 pm
      Mate, seriously, don't get wound up because that's the desired response. The vast majority of what comes out of it runs against the groove just so it can start an argument.

I have to admit that I'm being a tad selfish here as well because I've got him on ignore and every time he winds somebody up they quote him and then I have to F***ing read it.

Rookie error there mate.

Now he knows he's on ignore, he'll keep replying to your posts or plussing you to try and get a reaction.
      Been doing it to me for years, or trying to anyway.

Anyway, enough of the WUM.

5 more needed, I'll be chuffed if we get 3 of them tonight.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #59: Jun 24, 2020 02:13:31 pm
      Not exactly. It's called "no room for error and a stick management style". The idea is all sloppiness has to be penalised and punished. It works efficiently on lazy people. So assume we penalize Bobby.

But more often than not, it sounds like this will yield the best results in theory. However the person will soon learn that this is the fastest way for his soldiers to walk out on him or worse, team up and shoot him down. Because he has no bloody patience and he does not trust his players.

Great idea. I have no patience I want the best results. Try implementing it and your players will soon lose you the match. Probably effective in simulation. But when players with egos are managed like that, tough. And good luck for being a proud and strict disciplinarian. No empathy. No Klopp hug.

Must explain why City have had such poor results the last few years!!

No, what is much more dangerous my friend is having players who know they can play a sh*t game without any fear of being dropped, the prime candidates in that regard are our front three, as long as they aren't injured they play, thank God they are all hugely motivated and skilful players but when Bobby is in a slump, which does happen from time to time, then wouldn't it be nice to replace him with someone else of a similar quality?  If Bobby was so sensitive that this would make him leave the club then so be it, he clearly would not have enough determination and passion, but we all know that isn't true.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #60: Jun 24, 2020 02:14:00 pm
      No I'm not on wind-up, when Bobby plays well I agree he is the best at that position but very often he isn't at his best, and on those occasions why not try Minamino, MInamino is certainly not a wide player.

Well I'd have the Ox playing just off the front 3, in the hole. That way he can use his strong running and shooting,also can mix it up with Bobby and Sadio and Mo. We don't get the best out of the Ox if he has to stay wide. He's a bigger threat coming thru the middle.

Poses a problem in who to play the holding/playmaker. It's Hendo for me with Gini.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #61: Jun 24, 2020 02:15:18 pm
      Rookie error there mate.

Now he knows he's on ignore, he'll keep replying to your posts or plussing you to try and get a reaction.
      Been doing it to me for years, or trying to anyway.

Anyway, enough of the WUM.

5 more needed, I'll be chuffed if we get 3 of them tonight.

are you referring to me???

In what way am I being a WUM, I genuinely want competition for places so that makes me a wind up artist, ;D what a bunch of snowflakes!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #62: Jun 24, 2020 02:17:02 pm
      Well I'd have the Ox playing just off the front 3, in the hole. That way he can use his strong running and shooting,also can mix it up with Bobby and Sadio and Mo. We don't get the best out of the Ox if he has to stay wide. He's a bigger threat coming thru the middle.

Poses a problem in who to play the holding/playmaker. It's Hendo for me with Gini.

I think I agree, Ox probably would not suit the Bobby role, but from what I have seen of Minamino so far I think he could. The Ox would be better playing as a very advanced AM just behind Sadio and Mo, as you indicated.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #63: Jun 24, 2020 02:27:52 pm
      I think I agree, Ox probably would not suit the Bobby role, but from what I have seen of Minamino so far I think he could. The Ox would be better playing as a very advanced AM just behind Sadio and Mo, as you indicated.

Mini by all account showed up well in the virus manufactured pre season but I don't think the Boss will see him in the false No.9 position. Think Mini is prone to getting eased off the ball to much.Still in development mode for me and it won't be easy for him to really get established here.I like the player and once the title is wrapped up he will get more game time.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #64: Jun 24, 2020 02:38:37 pm
      Obviously Roy will have them ready to take advantage if we don't cut thru them. Not quite up to the job when he was here but he is doing very well at Palace. I like him regardless but we should be putting teams like Palace in their place. Roy has an ace in Zaha, have to keep him out the game.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #65: Jun 24, 2020 02:52:28 pm

:mad:

Are you taking the piss ?

He has been massive for us to be this close to winning the title.
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,101 posts | 125 
      Reply #66: Jun 24, 2020 02:59:09 pm
      Is the match on any Freeview channels  guys ?
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,101 posts | 125 
      Reply #67: Jun 24, 2020 03:39:36 pm

Bugger,  thanks anyway Bud
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,264 posts | 280 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #68: Jun 24, 2020 03:48:13 pm
      Think we will see a more fluid performance tonight, after a nervy start. going for an in the end convincing 3-1 win.

Quick Reply