Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Age of Current Team

Read 3032 times
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Age of Current Team
      Jun 30, 2020 12:56:46 am
      So, no. 19 is in the bag, and the future looks rosy. But are we really a young team?

Alisson 27
      Trent 21
      Dijk 28
      Gomez 22
      Robertson 26
      Matip 28

Henderson 30
      Fabinho 26
      Gini 29
      Keita 25

Salah 28
      Mane 28
      Firmino 28

Around 28 years is when a footballer hits their prime. Obviously there's a bit more leeway for goalkeepers, and to a lesser extent, defenders.

I posted the above because a few times I've heard this is a "young" team. I don't buy that. It isn't old by any stretch of the imagination, but it's not what I would call, young. There's some gas in the tank of course, and even at 30 to 32, players are still capable of tearing it up. Nobody is panicking just yet, but over half our first pick XI are 28 (prime) or older. I didn't include Milner because he's never going to get old :D

What do you think?
      « Last Edit: Jun 30, 2020 03:13:53 pm by Rush »
      OConnor
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 30 posts |
      Re: Age of Current Team
      Reply #1: Jul 02, 2020 03:38:59 pm
      We need to be integrating the younger players into premiership games. Your Norwich at homes throw Curtis Jones or Elliot in to gain valuable experience and to improve his ability. No point in playing our best starting 11 week in week out, especially when we’re more than capable of beating teams with 1 of the main players mussing to allow mire game time for the youngsters. Don’t understand giving playing time to dead wood, league cup games and you see young talent on the bench and Shaqiri starting, no point get them in the team and give them the experience and chance they need.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #2: Jul 02, 2020 04:30:34 pm
      So, no. 19 is in the bag, and the future looks rosy. But are we really a young team?

Alisson 27
      Trent 21
      Dijk 28
      Gomez 22
      Robertson 26
      Matip 28

Henderson 30
      Fabinho 26
      Gini 29
      Keita 25

Salah 28
      Mane 28
      Firmino 28

Around 28 years is when a footballer hits their prime. Obviously there's a bit more leeway for goalkeepers, and to a lesser extent, defenders.

I posted the above because a few times I've heard this is a "young" team. I don't buy that. It isn't old by any stretch of the imagination, but it's not what I would call, young. There's some gas in the tank of course, and even at 30 to 32, players are still capable of tearing it up. Nobody is panicking just yet, but over half our first pick XI are 28 (prime) or older. I didn't include Milner because he's never going to get old :D

What do you think?

Good discussion topic.

First I'd say, we are young enough for next season.

Maybe for the next season you start to look at Henderson and Gini. If one or both of them start to drop in standard due to Father Time, you would ID Curtis Jones as one possible option. I fully expect at some point either Trent or Neco to play more in central midfield, so that may be an option. Leighton Clarkson is another promising midfield player although still quite young. But maybe by then we do identify an established midfield player who does the kinds of things Hendo and Gini do, with the quality and commitment they bring to the table (again, depending on the aging process for Hendo and Gini). Fabinho and Keita should be 2 of the 3 first choice midfielders day in and day out by then.

The front three should be good as first choice at least for another season. Minamino will be one option, with Curtis Jones and Harvey Elliott others to keep an eye on. But by 2021-22 season, I would think at least one more established forward would be coming in to at least share that first choice role. I don't think Divock will be more than a backup for us, but he might stay through his contract.

So yes, time marches on (for all players and all teams), but clearly any revision of the team lineup will be bit by bit, and there won't be any major changes to the roster this summer minus a few players going out and maybe a free transfer or two coming in to fill depth roles for those departing like Lallana.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #3: Jul 02, 2020 04:33:18 pm

Alisson 27
      Trent 21
      Dijk 28
      Gomez 22
      Robertson 26
      Matip 28

Henderson 30
      Fabinho 26
      Gini 29
      Keita 25

Salah 28
      Mane 28
      Firmino 28

What do you think?

When your oldest player is 29 then you know you can dominate for a good number of years to come, but of course you also need to start planning for the future, but there is no panic for at least 3 years with our current squad, these are great times for the club.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      Reply #4: Jul 02, 2020 04:44:14 pm
      Yeah, my general thinking is, we need to start tweaking now, so no major overhaul is needed in about two to three seasons' time.

I'm sure if we know this, Mr. Klopp does too :D
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #5: Jul 02, 2020 04:47:26 pm
      Just to add Marko Grujic will get a good, long look in preseason with this in mind. Same with Rhian Brewster.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #6: Jul 02, 2020 05:17:53 pm
      Up front we definitely need to start thinking about the future a little, these lads will still be top for a good few seasons yet, which seems a long time but we know how fast these seasons come and go.

We’re in a good position now to start giving the youngsters on the fringe some valuable league time, which is great, but I still think we need to be looking for young, already relatively established players in a few key areas by at least next season, mainly CB, LB and CF.

But at this moment in time, there isn’t a stronger team, and it’s still got years left in it.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #7: Jul 02, 2020 06:18:45 pm
      I think that the days of players hitting a decline by the time they turn 30/31 could be a thing of the past. Sports science has advanced massively in the last 15 years or so and footballers are wrapped in a lot more cotton wool now, some players were still eating beans on toast as their pre-match meal under Houllier! Not to mention outside of the game there's very few drinkers when compared to even the previous generation

I think Aubameyang is 31 and he still seems to be as fast as lightening. Not to mention Ronaldo & Messi are 35 & 33 respectively. The current top goalscorer in the Premier League is also a 33 year old Jamie Vardy

Henderson is the oldest of our "key" players but he's always struck me as being him very similar to Milner and I expect him to be able to play well into his 30s at a very high level. This squad could still be a few years off hitting its peak so I'm not really worried about age or fitness. For me, a new system is probably more important than the age of the squad. Nothing wrong whatsoever with the current one, but all great teams need to shake it up & evolve from time to time, so I hope that we're ahead of the curve on that and able to keep the opposition guessing
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      Reply #8: Jul 02, 2020 06:24:33 pm
      An interesting point that the age of a footballer's "prime years" might have advanced. Thinking about it, you'd expect it would at least a little bit.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #9: Jul 02, 2020 06:29:42 pm
      An interesting point that the age of a footballer's "prime years" might have advanced. Thinking about it, you'd expect it would at least a little bit.

A lot of it is down to lifestyle, and luck with injuries.

These lads today, or a lot of them, never really stop training, and even when they go on holday they keep their fitness levels right up.

The days of lads holidays and getting bladdered for 2 weeks straight are pretty much in the past for the top players, and they are constantly monitored, thanks to technology.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,973 posts | 1356 
      Reply #10: Jul 02, 2020 08:02:51 pm
      Don't actually remember to many "we are a young team" type posts. About average for a typical Liverpool team.Always or nearly always had a mixture of experienced pro's, transfers in, just established and potential coming thru.

It's a evolving squad - has to be that way.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #11: Jul 04, 2020 12:39:59 am
      I personally think the core of the squad which has been listed in the opening post is in my opinion is young.   It averages at 26.6 years considering it has already stamped its name in Europe with 3 finals and broken records in the League.  It is in my opinion still young.  The thing is if it hadn't won the Word, European and league titles then it may be different if it was potential.  But because these players have delivered already then considering the average age.  I think it is still young.  We need to carry on fine tuning it but that is always the case.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #12: Jul 04, 2020 02:04:38 am
      I think that the days of players hitting a decline by the time they turn 30/31 could be a thing of the past.

Agreed. The way clubs have such a high focus on the conditioning of players now plays a big part in that.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #13: Jul 04, 2020 03:50:44 pm
      Any of the stat nerds have the ages of all the other teams to compare? Otherwise  :confused-smiley-013: Just another get rid thread,no?
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #14: Jul 04, 2020 03:54:58 pm
      The way I see it, Klopp has signed a contract extension which will see him take some of these guys through and beyond their prime, and will hopefully look to reshuffle and bring through the kids and younger signings as we reach the end of his contract in four or so years.

It's a good point about the ever increasing longevity of the player's careers. When you have an example like Milly at your club, you're gonna think you could play till you're 40!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #15: Jul 05, 2020 01:52:44 pm
      Any of the stat nerds have the ages of all the other teams to compare?

Had a look at 87/88 team - a great team that continued to have a couple more successful seasons (although obviously weight of Hillsborough and Kenny's departure did affect things in early 1991.

Grobbelaar - 31
      Nicol - 27
      Hansen - 33
      Gillespie - 28
      Spackman - 27
      Johnston - 28
      Whelan - 27
      McMahon - 27
      Houghton - 26
      Beardsley - 27
      Barnes - 24
      Aldridge -29
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #16: Jul 05, 2020 02:13:01 pm
      Let’s hope when Jürgen does decide to leave, he doesn’t leave us with an ageing side, and has replenished enough to give the incoming manager something to work with !
      Harrisimo

• 7,973 posts | 1356 
      Reply #17: Jul 05, 2020 03:19:18 pm
      As it happens the ageless Gary Mac was past 35 when we signed him and well over 37 when he set the record as out oldest Prem player...good lad himself..
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,459 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #18: Jul 06, 2020 09:54:36 am
      Had a look at 87/88 team - a great team that continued to have a couple more successful seasons (although obviously weight of Hillsborough and Kenny's departure did affect things in early 1991.

Grobbelaar - 31
      Nicol - 27
      Hansen - 33
      Gillespie - 28
      Spackman - 27
      Johnston - 28
      Whelan - 27
      McMahon - 27
      Houghton - 26
      Beardsley - 27
      Barnes - 24
      Aldridge -29

This team liked the bevvy a lot too. so were nowhere near the athletes of todays players. ;D
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,459 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #19: Jul 06, 2020 09:57:54 am

Alisson 27
      Trent 21
      Dijk 28
      Gomez 22
      Robertson 26
      Matip 28

Henderson 30
      Fabinho 26
      Gini 29
      Keita 25

Salah 28
      Mane 28
      Firmino 28

What do you think?

the guys around 28yrs old have another 3 or 4 years in theyre prime, all super fit athletes. No problems at all.

We will start to see more of the younger guys next season, I can see guys like brewster playing more than Origi next season, and jones will probably be used more in MF, we also have guys like minammino & naby lad, who will probably play more more which will let klopp rotate the older guys a bit more.

Quick Reply