Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Man City?

Alisson
      3 (5.4%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      7 (12.5%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      1 (1.8%)
       Fabinho
      9 (16.1%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      13 (23.2%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      1 (1.8%)
      Sadio Mane
      1 (1.8%)
      Neco Williams
      6 (10.7%)
      Naby Keïta
      13 (23.2%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)
      Takumi Minamino
      1 (1.8%)
      Divock Origi
      1 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Voting closed: Jul 06, 2020 10:10:35 pm

Manchester City 4-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 25181 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Manchester City 4-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #460: Jul 06, 2020 12:37:16 pm
      If falling apart involves being comfortably 2nd in the league, having won the League cup and still being in the FA Cup and CL, then I'd accept it ;-)

Well they aren’t exactly comfortably 2nd are they, they are only about 6 points ahead of 3rd. Given they’ve lost 9 games this season, there is every chance they could lose again in the remaining games.

If you think going from winning the league 2 years running with about 200 points and then finishing 20 odd points behind isn’t falling apart then you may be in for a shock if it happens. There’s every chance they will end up with just the league cup this season which would be a disaster for them, because despite still being in the FA Cup and CL, it means nothing unless they win it and you’ve said yourself in a different topic you can’t see them winning them 2 competitions. So are you sure you’d accept it?
      « Last Edit: Jul 06, 2020 04:52:35 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #461: Jul 06, 2020 01:38:04 pm
      the city game was a blip, like a lot of the games with city, 1st goal is crucial, we didnt take out chances, then they got theyre noses in front and we caved a wee it.

Its in the past now, only 2nd defeat in league, and it was really a nothing game for us. so all good and all that stuff.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #462: Jul 06, 2020 03:15:48 pm
      Well they aren’t exactly comfortably 2nd are they, they are only about 6 points ahead of 3rd. Given they’ve lost 9 games this season, there is every chance they could lose again in the remaining games.

If you think going from winning the league 2 years running with about 200 points and then finishing 20 odd points behind isn’t falling apart then you may be in for a shock if it happens. There’s every chance they will end up with just the league cup this season which would be a disaster for them, because despite still being in the FA Cup and CL, it means nothing unless they win it and you’ve said yourself in a different topic you can seem them winning them 2 competitions. So are you sure you’d accept it?

I've changed my mind, I want the PL again plus I want the CL, but without strengthening the forward line I'm not sure we'll get either.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #463: Jul 06, 2020 03:27:40 pm
      If falling apart involves being comfortably 2nd in the league, having won the League cup and still being in the FA Cup and CL, then I'd accept it ;-)

Not sure why people think City are going to walk the CL wouldn't surprise me one bit if they choked and got knocked out to Madrid.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #464: Jul 06, 2020 04:25:24 pm
      Not sure why people think City are going to walk the CL wouldn't surprise me one bit if they choked and got knocked out to Madrid.

I agree with that, I don't think their defence is good enough to win the CL. If they get through Real Madrid I'd love to see them against Atletico, really frustrate the hell out of them.
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,264 posts | 280 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #465: Jul 06, 2020 04:45:25 pm

Totally agree and reckon Real will knock them out fairly easily
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #466: Jul 07, 2020 03:39:37 pm
      Quote from HUYTON RED
      Three leagues were the champions have hardly got any competition anyway!
      Bit different in a league were anyone can beat anyone as shown with Southampton's win v City.

There's not really much competition for us atm. Finish ahead of one team and the league is ours. Which we've done.

If the UEFA punishment stands, then that competition is removed for at least the next 3 years, as they will snowball down the table. The whole point of their existence is to win the European Cup. Without it, there's no point in any of the mercenaries being there.

Quote from 7-King Kenny-7
      We didn’t need to beat City for that. The 23 point difference says enough. Let them beat us when there is nothing to play for, the important thing is we beat them when there was something to play for.

According to neutrals, the only reason they didn't win the league is, because their defence was crap. So if they just sort that out, then apparantly all their problems are solved. Before this game, I saw one bookie already make them odds-on favourites for the league next season, because according to them, they will splash the cash and we'll keep it in our pockets.

Throughout a season, at some stage there will always be games where you drop points you shouldn't against lesser teams and the argument could be made just as much for City, if they hadn't of dropped all them points over Xmas, then they wouldn't have had to rely on beating us. When 2 teams are separated by 1-2 points like what the case was last season with City, I think that ultimately you have to look at the head-to-head for that fixture. Being a point or 2 off is basically a mirror image of each other's season so whilst we dropped points vs West Ham and whoever else, it's no different to City dropping points vs the likes of Palace and Newcastle, the only difference in terms of points dropped was that we dropped 5 of ours against them, where as they only dropped 2 of theirs against us, so IMO the games vs City last season is what decided the title.

We were 4 points ahead after that game last season, so we must have lost the league somewhere else. That somewhere else was the Leicester and West Ham draws imo. You expect us to win those games and we didn't. We didn't realise it at the time, but winning just one of them would have been enough and we would have No. 20 in the cabinet already.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #467: Jul 07, 2020 04:32:05 pm
      According to neutrals, the only reason they didn't win the league is, because their defence was crap. So if they just sort that out, then apparantly all their problems are solved. Before this game, I saw one bookie already make them odds-on favourites for the league next season, because according to them, they will splash the cash and we'll keep it in our pockets.

You sound surprised about the bookies. In theory it will increase City’s chances if they go and splash a load of cash, something they usually always do now. It would make no sense for the bookies to not have them as favourites. Especially if we don’t sign anyone again.

The chances of City having another season where they are so far behind are slim when you consider the players they have. I don’t think it would have made a difference in terms of us winning the league but they would have been closer if they didn’t have Laporte injured for so long and Sane out all season. It’s no different to if we lost Virgil and Salah, the chances are we would have been worse off.

So in terms of the odds, you would expect them to be much better next season so bookies will play it safe.

But of course, I think a lot of their chances depend on what happens with their CL ban. If it stands then I think the likes of KDB, Aguero, Sterling etc will move on and then they will be in trouble. If that happens, I’m sure the bookies will have us as favourites to retain it and rightly so.

We were 4 points ahead after that game last season, so we must have lost the league somewhere else. That somewhere else was the Leicester and West Ham draws imo. You expect us to win those games and we didn't. We didn't realise it at the time, but winning just one of them would have been enough and we would have No. 20 in the cabinet already.

You’ve not understood what I was saying.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #468: Jul 07, 2020 07:00:23 pm
      It will be much closer next season, with us & City top of the food chain once again but Chelsea,United,Spurs even won't be far off. City will strengthen as will the others. Said you have to strengthen from a position of strength and if you let it drift you are playing catch up.

We need better striking back up, improve the goal threat & goal return from midfield.Little bit less pressure on us as we are now course & distance winners. We will still demand a place at the top table of European football. There will be no let up on any front. Players of real promise are forcing their way through...City and the rest have to live with us now..not the other way round.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #469: Jul 07, 2020 11:15:56 pm
      Quote from 7-King Kenny-7
      You sound surprised about the bookies. In theory it will increase City’s chances if they go and splash a load of cash, something they usually always do now. It would make no sense for the bookies to not have them as favourites. Especially if we don’t sign anyone again.

The chances of City having another season where they are so far behind are slim when you consider the players they have. I don’t think it would have made a difference in terms of us winning the league but they would have been closer if they didn’t have Laporte injured for so long and Sane out all season. It’s no different to if we lost Virgil and Salah, the chances are we would have been worse off.

So in terms of the odds, you would expect them to be much better next season so bookies will play it safe.

The bookies have them as favourites for the European Cup every season. They've never won it. Teams that have seen it, done it, and have the medals to show for it, are the ones that win it every year instead, and the bookies have to explain why they got it wrong again.

When we were that amount of points behind City, nobody gave us a prayer of winning the league the following season. And most didn't think we would win it this year either. We have 10 different ways of winning a game, City have 1. If it fails, they lose. Their win rate when losing at half time, is laughable. We couldn't close the gap in one season. Why should they?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #470: Jul 08, 2020 12:19:13 am
      The bookies have them as favourites for the European Cup every season.

Hang on, you’ve suddenly jumped from saying the bookies have them to win the league to now the CL. Why are you so bothered? Who gives a toss what the bookies think, what difference does it make? Just stick some money on us to win and be grateful for the better return.

We couldn't close the gap in one season. Why should they?

We closed the gap to 1 point, but hang on, earlier you said;

We were 4 points ahead after that game last season, so we must have lost the league somewhere else. That somewhere else was the Leicester and West Ham draws imo. You expect us to win those games and we didn't.

So which is it, because you’ve gone from saying we were 4 points ahead and that we should have won the league, to then saying we couldn’t close the gap in one season.

Like it or not, City had 2 seasons achieving pretty much 200 points, something that we are now close to achieving, if you don’t think that team is capable of hitting near 100 points again next season then you need to take the tinted glasses off, because it’s something they are more than capable of doing, you don’t achieve 200 points in 2 seasons by fluke and they showed last Thursday exactly what they are capable of doing to us if we let our levels drop.

20+ points ahead one season means nothing once the new one starts and you are all back on 0. We cut the gap by over 20 points, only an idiot would think they couldn’t possibly do it.

You worry too much about how other people rate our chances, just sit back and enjoy them being proved wrong now.
      « Last Edit: Jul 08, 2020 12:35:34 am by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #471: Jul 08, 2020 12:43:01 am
      So what.

Let them have their fun.

Lost the very next game ......to Saints.  That was a Suarez / Alonso special. Cant help bad luck Ederson.  ;D

The final death throes of the ex champions. 
      Sniveller Sterling had his little point to prove, Pep trying to get us to miss out on the big 100+ by being a three point spoiler.

How bad did that Guard of Honour feel for them to give us?  You could hear the internal screams of pain.

As for Bernardo Silva not clapping us at all .... well it shows what a low life he is.

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #472: Jul 08, 2020 12:45:32 am
      These ones are for you billythered  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:  :D :D

Love it Oz mate.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #473: Jul 08, 2020 10:27:45 am
      It will be much closer next season, with us & City top of the food chain once again but Chelsea,United,Spurs even won't be far off. City will strengthen as will the others. Said you have to strengthen from a position of strength and if you let it drift you are playing catch up.

We need better striking back up, improve the goal threat & goal return from midfield.Little bit less pressure on us as we are now course & distance winners. We will still demand a place at the top table of European football. There will be no let up on any front. Players of real promise are forcing their way through...City and the rest have to live with us now..not the other way round.

It hinges on whether or not the CL ban stands, if it does (which I expect) then a lot of Citeh players will leave destabilising them for at least one season if not more.
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #474: Jul 08, 2020 03:28:43 pm
      So what.

Let them have their fun.

Lost the very next game ......to Saints.  That was a Suarez / Alonso special. Cant help bad luck Ederson.  ;D

The final death throes of the ex champions. 
      Sniveller Sterling had his little point to prove, Pep trying to get us to miss out on the big 100+ by being a three point spoiler.

How bad did that Guard of Honour feel for them to give us?  You could hear the internal screams of pain.

As for Bernardo Silva not clapping us at all .... well it shows what a low life he is.

That guard of honour from them was pathetic. Most of them had wandered off by the time we’d come out.

But Pep’s upset we never thanked them!
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #475: Jul 08, 2020 04:07:03 pm
      The guard of honour fiasco again showed how much we're in their heads. Looking back over the last year or so, you've got the whole team singing about us just after they won the title last season, you've got Pep coming out and accusing us of diving after we got a late winner against Aston Villa, you've got Sterling voting for Harry Kane (who had been injured for about 3 months) as POTY because he couldn't stomach voting for a Liverpool player, then coming out saying "nobody wants Liverpool to win the league" at the BT awards, as well as fronting Joe Gomez when away with England. And now you've got the "guard of honour" or lack of, where Bernardo couldn't be arsed putting his hands together once for a team that's just won the title with about 20 points to spare.

Just scowering my brain and I can't think of one occasion where a Liverpool player or Klopp has came out and publicly shown any sort of disrespect towards City, not a single instance (please correct me if there is). It's great because it shows how infuriated they are by us, while we simply focus on getting the job done
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #476: Jul 08, 2020 04:28:59 pm
      The guard of honour fiasco again showed how much we're in their heads. Looking back over the last year or so, you've got the whole team singing about us just after they won the title last season, you've got Pep coming out and accusing us of diving after we got a late winner against Aston Villa, you've got Sterling voting for Harry Kane (who had been injured for about 3 months) as POTY because he couldn't stomach voting for a Liverpool player, then coming out saying "nobody wants Liverpool to win the league" at the BT awards, as well as fronting Joe Gomez when away with England. And now you've got the "guard of honour" or lack of, where Bernardo couldn't be arsed putting his hands together once for a team that's just won the title with about 20 points to spare.

Just scowering my brain and I can't think of one occasion where a Liverpool player or Klopp has came out and publicly shown any sort of disrespect towards City, not a single instance (please correct me if there is). It's great because it shows how infuriated they are by us, while we simply focus on getting the job done

Serious question (not just you, but for all)

Do people really give a F**k about this stuff?

Personally, I haven't given it a second thought.

We've won the league, and F**k the begrudgers as we say in Ireland.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #477: Jul 08, 2020 04:51:48 pm

Do people really give a f**k about this stuff?

We've won the league, and f**k the begrudgers as we say in Ireland.

Not in the sense that I'm offended City haven't given us a "proper" guard of honour or whatever, I couldn't give a f**k. Point I was making is that mentally we're obviously weighing on them and have been for some time, whereas with us it seems quite the contrary.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #478: Jul 08, 2020 05:18:30 pm
      Not in the sense that I'm offended City haven't given us a "proper" guard of honour or whatever, I couldn't give a f**k. Point I was making is that mentally we're obviously weighing on them and have been for some time, whereas with us it seems quite the contrary.

My fault for not being clear enough.
      I meant what opposition fans think in general. (not really arsed about man city prima donna's having hissy fits either)

I was never really fussed about opposition fans.
      It's the nature of tribalism after all, although I do think it's gone over the top in recent years, and is probably to do with social media.
      It seems to have gone way beyond banter now, and into just plain spite.

Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #479: Jul 08, 2020 05:31:42 pm

Do people really give a f**k about this stuff?

We've won the league, and f**k the begrudgers as we say in Ireland.

I think out of respect when you pick up the trophy should be done. Like you thouigh niot really arsed.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #480: Jul 08, 2020 05:35:36 pm
      My fault for not being clear enough.
      I meant what opposition fans think in general. (not really arsed about man city prima donna's having hissy fits either)

I was never really fussed about opposition fans.
      It's the nature of tribalism after all, although I do think it's gone over the top in recent years, and is probably to do with social media.
      It seems to have gone way beyond banter now, and into just plain spite.

Oh yeah, certainly not opposition fans, but it's interesting to watch how City are coping with us "off" the field as well as on it. They had their first proper challenge last season and in the last 12 or so months there's been a good few occasions where the mask has slipped with them and it's enjoyable if anything. I imagine United felt the similar when Rafa went on his unhinged "Facts" rant years ago
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #481: Jul 08, 2020 05:44:46 pm
      Oh yeah, certainly not opposition fans, but it's interesting to watch how City are coping with us "off" the field as well as on it. They had their first proper challenge last season and in the last 12 or so months there's been a good few occasions where the mask has slipped with them and it's enjoyable if anything. I imagine United felt the similar when Rafa went on his unhinged "Facts" rant years ago

It must be a bit weird for players who are at or around the top of their profession, not really playing for a Big Club.
      Yeah, they get the wages, and they'll no doubt pick up more trophies, but the whole team has this prima donna air about them in a way I've not seen before.
      It goes way beyond the swagger of a good team.
      It must be even stranger having a half empty ground for Champions League nights, which would only serve to reinforce the small time mentality of the club.

I had a look on their fan forum, Bluemoon, and it really is incredible reading.

You've got one lot of old school mancs who've been going to matches for years, and then another lot of new fans who act in a really entitled way.
      I've known a few of the old school mancs over the years, and they're not a bad bunch really, but F***ing hell, this new crowd and their conspiracy theories are F***ing menta;l.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #482: Jul 08, 2020 05:45:35 pm
      The begrudged respect thing was a bit annoying but did we expect anything else. The league table doesn't lie and maybe the disrespect might goad the Boss on to push for that points record.Might already have that fully in his sights anyway.

Before they were bankrolled their history was even worse than Everton's. Under our own steam we won Titles,European cups, dominated for years...under their own steam they fell into the old Third Division..some say it was more like the Turd Division with them in it.(Wycombe Wanderers no less did the double over them)

Hardly a Manchester lad in sight of the first team.The only one that comes to mind is Phil Foden and he's miles behind the bunch of mercenary medal hunters backed by dodgy finance, playing fast and loose with financial fair play. Manufactured club in the truest sense.
      « Last Edit: Jul 08, 2020 07:21:07 pm by Harrisimo »

Quick Reply