Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 1st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D5 L8

Thiago Alcantara (Bayern Munich)

Read 69376 times
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Re: Thiago Alcantara (Bayern Munich)
      Reply #161: Aug 14, 2020 09:40:53 am
      Fabinho is excellent, it’s no coincidence we have won 2 Major trophies since we signed him.

Was our best midfielder in 18-19 by quite some distance. Could argue we would have won the title that year too if he had been on from the start against City at the Etihad

Been hot & cold this season due to spells on the sidelines with injury, but I expect him to be back to his best next season. For me he's one of the first names on the team sheet, especially against the bigger sides. If Thiago comes (and Gini leaves) I'd be looking at an LFL swap & going with a midfield of Hendo, Fabinho & Thiago
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,653 posts | 3921 
      Reply #162: Aug 14, 2020 10:44:24 am
      Was our best midfielder in 18-19 by quite some distance. Could argue we would have won the title that year too if he had been on from the start against City at the Etihad

Been hot & cold this season due to spells on the sidelines with injury, but I expect him to be back to his best next season. For me he's one of the first names on the team sheet, especially against the bigger sides. If Thiago comes (and Gini leaves) I'd be looking at an LFL swap & going with a midfield of Hendo, Fabinho & Thiago

His performance against Messi at Anfield will live long as legend, those final few minutes, wow.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #163: Aug 14, 2020 11:11:39 am
      His performance against Messi at Anfield will live long as legend, those final few minutes, wow.

Absolutely incredible. Think I celebrated some of those tackles he threw in at the end just as much (if not more) than the goals!
      saille29
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,545 posts | 243 
      Reply #164: Aug 14, 2020 08:30:11 pm
      Get him here, playing great against barca
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #165: Aug 14, 2020 09:16:13 pm
      Get him here, playing great against barca

Yep you can see he’s got quality and would add to our team and for peanuts in the current market.
      tomx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,291 posts | 237 
      Reply #166: Aug 14, 2020 09:33:26 pm
      he is class...sign him
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #167: Aug 15, 2020 05:43:34 pm
      I mean the guy is absolute top class and his fitness looks good.

This is a tricky one.

A decision on Gini's future very soon would make this a whole lot easier for us.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #168: Aug 15, 2020 05:49:10 pm
      I mean the guy is absolute top class and his fitness looks good.

This is a tricky one.

A decision on Gini's future very soon would make this a whole lot easier for us.

I'd be more than happy to swap Gini for Alcantara
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #169: Aug 16, 2020 12:19:47 pm
      Kopite78
      Reply #170: Aug 16, 2020 01:17:12 pm

Cant see that being true to be honest

We couldnt agree terms with a player under contract at another club, to the extent its 'done' without agreeing anything whatsoever with the selling club

Nonsense season
      Redrew
      • Forum Youth Player

• 21 posts |
      Reply #171: Aug 16, 2020 01:36:22 pm
      Milner is a depth piece now.

Gini’s contract status and the lack of movement by either side leads me to believe the writing is on the wall for an exit eventually. Additionally, seeing Gini’s offensive success on his National team vs. the contained role Klopp has him play leads me to believe Gino yearns for an expanded role that is not available to him at LFC.

Henderson is aging

Despite Keita starters role because of Henderson’s injury, I’m not convinced Klopp has full trust in Keita as a top 3 starter in his midfield if Gini exits.

Thiago fills many roles:
      Consistent assist man LFC lacks in midfield.
      Leadership/heart/grit role Milner displays when on pitch.
      Creativity and desire to push ball

This signing would address what I consider LFC’s most glaring deficiency.... creativity from the middle line.
      The PL did a decent job containing the front 3....packing it in. The trend is clear.... LFC must always evolve

Kopite78
      Reply #172: Aug 16, 2020 01:48:27 pm
      Milner is a depth piece now.

Gini’s contract status and the lack of movement by either side leads me to believe the writing is on the wall for an exit eventually. Additionally, seeing Gini’s offensive success on his National team vs. the contained role Klopp has him play leads me to believe Gino yearns for an expanded role that is not available to him at LFC.

Henderson is aging

Despite Keita starters role because of Henderson’s injury, I’m not convinced Klopp has full trust in Keita as a top 3 starter in his midfield if Gini exits.

Thiago fills many roles:

This signing would address what I consider LFC’s most glaring deficiency.... creativity from the middle line.
      The PL did a decent job containing the front 3....packing it in. The trend is clear.... LFC must always evolve

What's a depth piece?

Gini is after securing a last lucrative contract, nothing more or less and I cant blame him, he is a relative low earner in modern football (90k) and knows this is his last big deal.
      I wouldn't think he gives a shiny sh*te about playing slightly deeper for us, seeing as he is winning the absolute lot he can win doing so

Hendo aging? Hes about 8 months older than Thiago

What you consider the main deficiency in Liverpools play is essentially how the manager has built the this side that has won the lot in the last 12 months
      The midfield is there to supply the forwards and the assists come generally from the full backs

The 'middle line' does exactly what the manager wants them to

PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,755 posts | 863 
      Reply #173: Aug 16, 2020 02:54:11 pm
      What's a depth piece?

Gini is after securing a last lucrative contract, nothing more or less and I cant blame him, he is a relative low earner in modern football (90k) and knows this is his last big deal.
      I wouldn't think he gives a shiny sh*te about playing slightly deeper for us, seeing as he is winning the absolute lot he can win doing so

Hendo aging? Hes about 8 months older than Thiago

What you consider the main deficiency in Liverpools play is essentially how the manager has built the this side that has won the lot in the last 12 months
      The midfield is there to supply the forwards and the assists come generally from the full backs

The 'middle line' does exactly what the manager wants them to
      Far away from the debate you are having with Redrew, I think what you outlined here is like you said what makes us successful but also a valid reason to look for alternatives in the way we play because opposition teams are not going to stand there watching for too long. They'll start coming up with ways of choking TAA and Robbo without necessarily giving all the space in the world to our wingers while doing so. Mane and Salas are, IMO, top 5 players in the world when it comes to movement without the ball and it simply puts the opposition full-back in total fear or having a 1v1 with Sadio or Mo and they instinctively tuck in closer to their CB which opens up a ton of space for Robbo and Trent). However, teams will come up with ways to choke both our wingers and full-backs in the same game.

At this point it will be important for us to have alternatives. Those alternatives, IMO, can't be provided by players like Hendo, Gini or Milner in a 4-3-3. Keita can provide penetration and creativity but Thiago is transformative in the sense that he gives you the possibility to completely change the way you play and how you position some of the other guys. You could quite easily put him in a double pivot with Fab and play a 4-2-3-1 with Gini, Bobby, Taki and Mo all being decent candidates to play in the hole behind a striker which creates a whole other set of problems for the opposition now stuck between countering creativity on the wings and creativity down the middle all while keeping Salah and Mane at bay. One could also argue Thiago is a 2 in 1 transfer that relieves you from buying a ready to play but willing to bench CB for another year (while Hoever and Van Den Berg all gain another year of experience) because Fabinho could be played as CB when needed without necessarily leaving a blatant hole in the middle of the park. Lots of tactical reasons could be put forward to argue that it makes sense just like a lot could be put forward to argue the opposite (starting with Keita being similar and that he could transition towards being as influental and transformative as Thiago with a bit of time). At the end Klopp is the boss and he'll decide but usually when a rumor is false it dies out pretty quickly unlike this one.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #174: Aug 16, 2020 03:19:08 pm
      Cant see that being true to be honest

We couldnt agree terms with a player under contract at another club, to the extent its 'done' without agreeing anything whatsoever with the selling club

Nonsense season

Yes we can, if he’s been given permission from Bayern to make agreements with another club then he can, regardless of whether we’ve agreed anything with Bayern or not.

Thiago fills many roles:

Hendo is less than a year older than Thiago... So if Hendo is aging then so is Thiago.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,338 posts | 6390 
      Reply #175: Aug 16, 2020 03:34:22 pm
      This is shaping up a lot like the Pepe saga. Look for Edwards to have to make a mea culpa to Bayern any day now.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,440 posts | 3422 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #176: Aug 16, 2020 04:17:52 pm
      For what it's worth don't see thiago coming
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,372 posts | 1030 
      Reply #177: Aug 16, 2020 04:41:53 pm
      I guess we’ll really find out once Bayern’s European campaign comes to a close, doubt there would be anything definitive while they are still in the competition. So probably after next Sunday when in all probability they have won the damn thing.
      LiverpoolsFinest
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 183 posts | 36 
      Reply #178: Aug 16, 2020 05:09:24 pm
      There seems to be far too much constant noise over this for it to be nonsense, even though the club have flat out denied any interest.

As mentioned above, once Bayern have finished in the CL there may be something more definitive either way.

I think he would take the team to another level, if that is even possible.
      « Last Edit: Aug 16, 2020 05:32:53 pm by LiverpoolsFinest »
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,123 posts | 451 
      Reply #179: Aug 16, 2020 05:11:26 pm
      Yeh Surely there can't be too much in this whilst his team are favourites to win the Champions League.   
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #180: Aug 16, 2020 07:00:59 pm
      I guess if he'ee signing him, it will be after Bayern plays their last game in the CL.

I'm sure he's a priority, unless we're willing to sell Wijnaldum. Even if we were, I think we need an attacking midfielder more than a holding one.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #181: Aug 16, 2020 07:14:06 pm
      I guess if he'ee signing him, it will be after Bayern plays their last game in the CL.

I'm sure he's a priority, unless we're willing to sell Wijnaldum. Even if we were, I think we need an attacking midfielder more than a holding one.

Jones will be our attacking midfielder next season.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,244 posts | 8576 
      Reply #182: Aug 16, 2020 07:41:21 pm
      If it's going to be done, can see it within the next week, announced concluding the Champions League games.

But I'll wait until something official.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #183: Aug 16, 2020 09:12:40 pm
      If it's going to be done, can see it within the next week, announced concluding the Champions League games.

But I'll wait until something official.

I see a certain criminally-scandalous tabloid is saying we've agreed personal terms with him. Anfield Watch on Twitter says it as well.

You make a good point about teams waiting until after the CL is over. This one would still go against the run of play for me, but there certainly seems to be more smoke than usual.

But ultimately, I'm guessing this is not for real.

« Last Edit: Aug 16, 2020 09:21:33 pm by Robby The Z »

Quick Reply