Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Thiago Alcantara (Bayern Munich)

Read 68265 times
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt
      • Started Topic

• 495 posts | 80 
      Thiago Alcantara (Bayern Munich)
      Jul 03, 2020 02:34:47 pm
      According to various reports we're linked to Thiago.

I think he'd improve the team but he's very similar in attributes to Keita. However if Gini doesn't sign a new deal he'd be a good signing.

And he's 29....

What do we think?
      « Last Edit: Aug 04, 2020 12:56:43 pm by JD »
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Re: Thiago Alcantara (Bayer Munich)
      Reply #1: Jul 03, 2020 03:46:16 pm
      According to various reports we're linked to Thiago.

I think he'd improve the team but he's very similar in attributes to Keita. However if Gini doesn't sign a new deal he'd be a good signing.

And he's 29....

What do we think?

Wait until he's in Formby Hall getting a dentist's chair from Bobby and the boys!!
      Kam99
      • On Trial

• 4 posts |
      Reply #2: Jul 03, 2020 04:35:08 pm
      I agree. He's an upgrade for sure. Gini is class but Thiago brings that Alonso 'esq player we so have missed. I reckon a swap deal with Bayern could be on the cards. Favours both parties.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #3: Jul 03, 2020 06:58:06 pm
      I agree. He's an upgrade for sure. Gini is class but Thiago brings that Alonso 'esq player we so have missed. I reckon a swap deal with Bayern could be on the cards. Favours both parties.

And no spending for our owners
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,094 posts | 1632 
      Reply #4: Jul 03, 2020 09:53:29 pm
      Would have him in a heartbeat
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #5: Jul 03, 2020 11:37:36 pm
      At first glance, one might think this transfer is bizarre. ''We already have somebody similar in Keita''. ''Are we going to throw away Keita after 2 injuries ridden season and pay big money for a similar player when Keita could still pan out great?''

In reality, when you take a moment to analyze the type of player Thiago (I always pay attention to him whenever I watch some Bundesliga games involving Bayern) is and then take a look at our team, and more specifically our midfield, you realize that he is exactly what we don't have and need.

IMHO three traits characterize Thiago:

1- He is top 3 or 5 in the world in transitioning his team from defense to attack. Smart defensive reading of the game + great vision and passing abilities means he'll intercept the ball and on his 2nd or 3rd touch the ball is already penetrating the opposition's defense.

2- He shatters the opposition's press. Very hard to put your hands on the guy because he is so agile, smart and has those burst of energy to drive the ball between two or three players. If you watched yesterday's game against City you know how much this is important. Our midfield was ripped to shreds because they couldn't deal with City press. Breaking that first line of press via smart and quick movement is key to putting your team on the front foot and enabling players like Mane, Firmino and Salah.

3- The guy is an excpetional playmaker. Watch some Thiago or even better, watch some Bayern clips on youtube and you'll notice that he creates chances from anywhere on the pitch. It doesn't matter if you are facing two compact blocs of 4 that are stationed in front of the opposition's keeper or if you're hitting a team on the counter, he will find someone with a quality pass. A bit like what Countinho used to do for us when we were struggling in front of ''park the bus style team''.

Bonus: Serial winner with Bayern which is always a good asset to have in your team especially that Milner is the only player in that squad that experience winning the PL and then lose it the year after when he was with City. We'll need someone with that ''WE GO AGAIN'' mentality. He also could be an amazing help for Keita to learn and progress as well as good competition for him.

lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #6: Jul 04, 2020 12:23:49 am
      Where is everyone getting the idea that Gini maybe leaving and could be used as a male weight to get Tiago?
      Personally I have no doubt that Gini is very happy at our club and will certainly be offered and will sign a new contract.
      Such an under rated player.
      Thiago is very good but it goes against so much of our current transfer committees policy to sign a player that is 29.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #7: Jul 04, 2020 12:26:52 am
      At first glance, one might think this transfer is bizarre. ''We already have somebody similar in Keita''. ''Are we going to throw away Keita after 2 injuries ridden season and pay big money for a similar player when Keita could still pan out great?''

In reality, when you take a moment to analyze the type of player Thiago (I always pay attention to him whenever I watch some Bundesliga games involving Bayern) is and then take a look at our team, and more specifically our midfield, you realize that he is exactly what we don't have and need.

IMHO three traits characterize Thiago:

1- He is top 3 or 5 in the world in transitioning his team from defense to attack. Smart defensive reading of the game + great vision and passing abilities means he'll intercept the ball and on his 2nd or 3rd touch the ball is already penetrating the opposition's defense.

2- He shatters the opposition's press. Very hard to put your hands on the guy because he is so agile, smart and has those burst of energy to drive the ball between two or three players. If you watched yesterday's game against City you know how much this is important. Our midfield was ripped to shreds because they couldn't deal with City press. Breaking that first line of press via smart and quick movement is key to putting your team on the front foot and enabling players like Mane, Firmino and Salah.

3- The guy is an excpetional playmaker. Watch some Thiago or even better, watch some Bayern clips on youtube and you'll notice that he creates chances from anywhere on the pitch. It doesn't matter if you are facing two compact blocs of 4 that are stationed in front of the opposition's keeper or if you're hitting a team on the counter, he will find someone with a quality pass. A bit like what Countinho used to do for us when we were struggling in front of ''park the bus style team''.

Bonus: Serial winner with Bayern which is always a good asset to have in your team especially that Milner is the only player in that squad that experience winning the PL and then lose it the year after when he was with City. We'll need someone with that ''WE GO AGAIN'' mentality. He also could be an amazing help for Keita to learn and progress as well as good competition for him.

And he speaks good English, won't happen though
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #8: Jul 04, 2020 12:47:57 am
      And he speaks good English, won't happen though
      Who knows. Bayern just got Sane for a price that is criminally under the market value for Sane, but they also might not be in their traditional financial good shape so they might want to recoup some of that money + he's already told Bayern he's not renewing his contract and if they don't sell this year he's going for free + he told his teammates he specifically would like to play for Klopp and at Anfield + Klopp apparently is a fan of him.

Still does not fit our current transfer strategy being 29yo and all, but you need experienced and talented players and sometimes guys in their early 20s are not as ready and effective as a guy like Thiago.

Who knows. It's the most substantial rumor we've heard so far tho.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #9: Jul 04, 2020 02:00:39 am
      Bayern just got Sane for a price that is criminally under the market value for Sane

Because he only had 1 year left on his contract. In fact, I think they paid over the odds for a player who hasn't played all season due to injury and is yet to make his comeback properly, in addition to the contract.

Regarding Thiago, I think we have more chance of signing Mbappe, and we all know what them chances are.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #10: Jul 04, 2020 04:09:44 am
      Because he only had 1 year left on his contract. In fact, I think they paid over the odds for a player who hasn't played all season due to injury and is yet to make his comeback properly, in addition to the contract.

Regarding Thiago, I think we have more chance of signing Mbappe, and we all know what them chances are.
      Thiago also has only 1 year left on his contract and Rumminegge basically confirmed he told them he wont renew. They will be looking for takers and considering most teams can't just spend what they usually spend, he probably could for something a bit more than just "below market value"

However I agree that it is still unlikely.

I also disagree on Sane. Every time Sane is on the pitch for City they are much more dangerous and overall a better team. I remember last season him being the main reason they beat us in that game that proved to be the difference. He's incredible. Maybe like you say the injury is something to keep an eye on but no way in the current market was he going to for any lower than that which imo is already a bargain.
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 633 posts | 59 
      Reply #11: Jul 04, 2020 09:04:04 am
      Like most rumours or exclusives regarding possible signings just wait till they sign
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 376 
      Reply #12: Jul 04, 2020 01:47:47 pm
      I love the way twitter talks about him as if he’s 40. He’s 29! Virgil is 29 next week. Is he over the hill?

I’d take him all day long. Class player, does get injured a lot tho...
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #13: Jul 04, 2020 01:53:31 pm
      Class players, no doubt about that, but is it a position we need to using 30 million on? Who’s place does he take, because he isn’t coming to be a bench player... admittedly a midfield three of Fabinho, Keita and Thiago sounds absolutely filthy, but we’ve seen what happens when Hendo isn’t around.... I dunno... I adore the player and if this was Fifa I’d be on it, but this is real life and I’m not sure how it works unless we have a outbound starter CM player...
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #14: Jul 04, 2020 02:30:27 pm

Hopefully Mbappe is signed soon after Thiago then mate as this one is happening.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #15: Jul 04, 2020 06:04:33 pm
      As expected he is on the bench for the cup final
      Don77

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #16: Jul 04, 2020 06:30:38 pm
      Nothing in this according to the echo who seem to suggest they have spoken to the club.
      rossyred

• 9,094 posts | 1632 
      Reply #17: Jul 04, 2020 07:13:27 pm
      As expected he is on the bench for the cup final

No surprise if he is off
      rossyred

• 9,094 posts | 1632 
      Reply #18: Jul 04, 2020 07:30:18 pm
      Nothing in this according to the echo who seem to suggest they have spoken to the club.

Echo dont get wind of much lately tbh means FA if they know nothing
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #19: Jul 04, 2020 07:31:40 pm
      4 year contract agreed apparently.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #20: Jul 04, 2020 07:41:13 pm
      Hopefully Mbappe is signed soon after Thiago then mate as this one is happening.

According to who? Because Rummenigge has just insisted that is far from the case and that we’ve not even had any contact. Given he’s been open about Thiago wanting to leave, I see no reason why he would just be saying the reports about us are false.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Chris78Williams/status/1279471387023937540

It’s his first game back from injury isn’t it? That could also be why.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #21: Jul 04, 2020 07:43:15 pm
      4 year contract agreed apparently.

Hopefully he stays injury free we're effectively getting a top 10 world class midfielder in the latter half of his prime.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #22: Jul 04, 2020 07:45:28 pm
      According to who? Because Rummenigge has just insisted that is far from the case and that we’ve not even had any contact. Given he’s been open about Thiago wanting to leave, I see no reason why he would just be saying the reports about us are false.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Chris78Williams/status/1279471387023937540

It’s his first game back from injury isn’t it? That could also be why.

It may be a case of us agreeing personal terms with the player first before submitting a bid to Bayern.

Quick Reply