Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Thiago Alcantara (Bayern Munich)

Read 68248 times
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: Thiago Alcantara (Bayer Munich)
      Reply #46: Jul 06, 2020 02:51:54 pm
      What is scaring me is that everybody in the top 4 will probably strengthen if they have not already. Chelsea will have a much more potent attack. You can count on City buying this summer (at least to fix their problems at CB). United already seems like a different team since Fernandes arrived. Leicester will also probably add a player or two to their squad while probably retaining their starting 11.

When you look at it, this is not good because it ultimately translates into points against those teams potentially being much harder to get next season.

I am not saying lets go on a buying spree or anything. Just voicing a fear I have. 

You are right, but fortunately the only thing we really need is one more quality forward. Yes a CB would be nice, but we are ok'ish there with the cover of Fabinho, plus maybe Lovren remembers how to defend again some day.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #47: Jul 06, 2020 11:38:49 pm
      You are right, but fortunately the only thing we really need is one more quality forward. Yes a CB would be nice, but we are ok'ish there with the cover of Fabinho, plus maybe Lovren remembers how to defend again some day.
      I agree

I would also add that unless Klopp and the rest of the staff are 100% into Neco Williams and consider he versatile enough to deploy as a RB and LB (this would be ideal) then I think Left-Back would be a vital position we need to buy cover for. The two full-backs we have literally shape the way we play. When Robertson is not playing we only have Milner and this is already not a viable option.

It's not going to be an easy thing tho. I think its always tricky to buy back-up full-backs because its a position that does not get rotated often and unlike the midfield, CB and the forward roles there is only one guy playing that role, its also not a position susceptible of being subbed off too often (winning or losing, most of your changes will be in midfield and upward)  and rarely do you stumble upon players as comfortable at LB than they are at RB and vice versa which ultimately means less playing time for that player. 

If we go for the ''buy'' option, I imagine it would have to be an experienced LB who wont mind playing second fiddle or somebody young that will kind of be an understudy to Robertson

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #48: Jul 07, 2020 06:21:20 am
      He's got the same surname as my steering wheel.....     ?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #49: Jul 07, 2020 09:07:08 am
      I agree

I would also add that unless Klopp and the rest of the staff are 100% into Neco Williams and consider he versatile enough to deploy as a RB and LB (this would be ideal) then I think Left-Back would be a vital position we need to buy cover for. The two full-backs we have literally shape the way we play. When Robertson is not playing we only have Milner and this is already not a viable option.

It's not going to be an easy thing tho. I think its always tricky to buy back-up full-backs because its a position that does not get rotated often and unlike the midfield, CB and the forward roles there is only one guy playing that role, its also not a position susceptible of being subbed off too often (winning or losing, most of your changes will be in midfield and upward)  and rarely do you stumble upon players as comfortable at LB than they are at RB and vice versa which ultimately means less playing time for that player. 

If we go for the ''buy'' option, I imagine it would have to be an experienced LB who wont mind playing second fiddle or somebody young that will kind of be an understudy to Robertson

I agree about the LB position but I can't see any reason why we couldn't use Neco as cover for both flanks, of course not as good as Robertson but better than Milner in terms of providing an attacking threat down that flank. Plus don't we have Laroucci and Adam Lewis as well waiting in the wings.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #50: Jul 07, 2020 09:21:15 am
      Corballyred on Twitter suggesting a crowdfunder to raise money for the fee  :lmao:
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #51: Jul 07, 2020 10:12:49 am
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #52: Jul 07, 2020 08:46:34 pm
      Sounds from media reports we're close to signing him, not sure how true it is.
      1 year left on contract, so Bayern won't want to loose him on a free.
      29 already, a lot of miles on the dial, but for a midfielder still should have a few good years left.
      Would have to adapt to the style like everyone else.
      But a very very experienced guy so should be a solid addition if it happens.
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #53: Jul 07, 2020 11:26:04 pm
      Corballyred on Twitter suggesting a crowdfunder to raise money for the fee  :lmao:
      Some of the sh*t he comes out with Iā€™m convinced heā€™s only doing it for attention, sad weird little man him
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #54: Jul 07, 2020 11:34:38 pm
      Sounds from media reports we're close to signing him, not sure how true it is.

Iā€™m 99% confident we wonā€™t be signing him. The only reports saying we will are obscure sources, likes of Reddy seem to think itā€™s unlikely. also going by Kloppā€™s interview today, we arenā€™t signing anyone would be my guess.

The original sources were saying the deal will be completed this week. Soon find out how accurate they are.
      « Last Edit: Jul 07, 2020 11:40:48 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #55: Jul 08, 2020 12:17:36 pm
      Next summer on a free maybe.

Buying him this summer would run contrary to how we've been doing business, and especially to the current situation with such a loss in revenue.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #56: Jul 08, 2020 01:10:16 pm
      Next summer on a free maybe.

Buying him this summer would run contrary to how we've been doing business, and especially to the current situation with such a loss in revenue.

Been thinking this for the last few days. There's talk of Gini running down his contract too (that also expires I think in June 2021?). Could be a simple case of 1 in 1 out next summer
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #57: Jul 08, 2020 01:55:58 pm
      Been thinking this for the last few days. There's talk of Gini running down his contract too (that also expires I think in June 2021?). Could be a simple case of 1 in 1 out next summer

At the price being tossed around, I'd say some other PL club will snap him up.

It is what it is. He's not really a huge need at this point. Not really arsed if we swerve this one.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #58: Jul 13, 2020 10:56:30 am
      So all them sources saying we were to sign Thiago last week turned out to be complete rubbish then.

bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #59: Jul 13, 2020 01:26:04 pm
      So all them sources saying we were to sign Thiago last week turned out to be complete rubbish then.

Yup they even had me fooled.

Shame on me :D
      rossyred

• 9,092 posts | 1632 
      Reply #60: Jul 13, 2020 01:36:59 pm

Missed that who has he signed for ?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #61: Jul 13, 2020 02:13:14 pm
      Missed that who has he signed for ?

He hasnā€™t signed for anyone, but the so called ā€œsourcesā€...rather just some random sports channel in Argentina which people took as gospel, was saying he would sign for us last week.
      rossyred

• 9,092 posts | 1632 
      Reply #62: Jul 13, 2020 04:56:58 pm
      He hasnā€™t signed for anyone, but the so called ā€œsourcesā€...rather just some random sports channel in Argentina which people took as gospel, was saying he would sign for us last week.

To be fair there were other sources not just the one you mention
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #63: Jul 13, 2020 05:04:32 pm
      To be fair there were other sources not just the one you mention

It originally came from the varsky sports one from Argentina. Then the likes of Kevin Palmer or whoever jumped on the bandwagon too but all along, the likes of Reddy, Pearce etc have all said itā€™s not the case.

Didnā€™t see one remotely reliable source saying about us actually going for him.
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #64: Jul 16, 2020 11:24:12 pm
      BILD now saying Klopps given green light for the move, personal terms agreed, negotiations ongoing Bayern want 40 million euros and Liverpool want to pay 25 million euros
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #65: Jul 17, 2020 07:14:17 am
      BILD now saying Klopps given green light for the move, personal terms agreed, negotiations ongoing Bayern want 40 million euros and Liverpool want to pay 25 million euros
      Unfortunately, BILD seems to be an unreliable source that a lot of German football fans consider to be trash.

As usual, we'll just have to wait and see. Regardless of what Klopp says, I think we are probably going to do business this summer (bc some areas are just untenable atm, like the LB situation and potentially the CB situation if Lovren leaves) but at this point it's very hard to tell who we'll go for and for how much money.

It's probably going to continue being very quite and all of a sudden we'll hear of a done deal out of the blue once the window is open. 
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #66: Jul 17, 2020 09:45:42 am
      Unfortunately, BILD seems to be an unreliable source that a lot of German football fans consider to be trash.

As usual, we'll just have to wait and see. Regardless of what Klopp says, I think we are probably going to do business this summer (bc some areas are just untenable atm, like the LB situation and potentially the CB situation if Lovren leaves) but at this point it's very hard to tell who we'll go for and for how much money.

It's probably going to continue being very quite and all of a sudden we'll hear of a done deal out of the blue once the window is open. 

Yea I think it's referred to as BILE in Germany.

I don't think we are singing anyone except possibly a CB and LB if Lovren and Larouci leave.

After that we can only hope we don't have injuries next season.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #67: Jul 17, 2020 10:54:08 am
      Yea I think it's referred to as BILE in Germany.

I don't think we are singing anyone except possibly a CB and LB if Lovren and Larouci leave.

After that we can only hope we don't have injuries next season.

I'd be amazed if we don't sign anyone, might not be a big name signing but we need some reinforcements, I would look to replace Salah, I know that's controversial, but honestly he frustrates the hell out of me and I really don't think he's had a great season, yes yes scored a lot of goals etc but also very wasteful. Assuming that doesn't happen then another attacking midfielder would be great, like Alcantara, would make a lot of sense and then hopefully Minamino and Brewster can start to provide good cover for our forwards with Origi being an extra player as well.
      I'd also like to get one more CB in but perhaps some of the youngsters are ready to take the step up as cover.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #68: Jul 17, 2020 11:13:35 am
      I'd be amazed if we don't sign anyone, might not be a big name signing but we need some reinforcements, I would look to replace Salah, I know that's controversial, but honestly he frustrates the hell out of me and I really don't think he's had a great season, yes yes scored a lot of goals etc but also very wasteful. Assuming that doesn't happen then another attacking midfielder would be great, like Alcantara, would make a lot of sense and then hopefully Minamino and Brewster can start to provide good cover for our forwards with Origi being an extra player as well.
      I'd also like to get one more CB in but perhaps some of the youngsters are ready to take the step up as cover.

Yea I wouldn't mind Thiago especially as Keita is so injury prone. We need a CB even if Lovren stays as Matip is made of glass. We need to convince Larouci to stay or else we need cover for LB as we shouldn't be relying on Milly to plug the gap anymore.

Other than that we are ok for next season. Our front three won't be replaced in the starting line-up for at least two more seasons. So as much as Salah frustrates he is going nowhere and neither should he as he is more than capable of having another great season for us.

Quick Reply