Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Arsenal [Community Shield] Sat 29th Aug @ 4:00 pm
      Wembley

Today is the 9th of August and on this date LFC's match record is P11 W8 D1 L2

Thiago Alcantara (Bayern Munich)

Read 4666 times
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 350 posts | 113 
      Re: Thiago Alcantara (Bayer Munich)
      Reply #75: Jul 17, 2020 07:20:44 pm
      Yea I think it's referred to as BILE in Germany.

I don't think we are singing anyone except possibly a CB and LB if Lovren and Larouci leave.

After that we can only hope we don't have injuries next season.
      Exactly. I think having 4 CB's is pretty mandatory as you need at least one replacement for each of the two. This almost certainly means that Lovren leaving (if it happens) equals somebody coming in to replace him because we have nobody else to fill that gap. The same goes for LB as we only have Robbo and surely nobody (Klopp and the rest of the staff) think that Milner is a viable LB replacement and I'd be surprised if the idea was to shift Neco Williams back and forth between RB and LB.

Other than that, I don't think we're going to be moving much. I think Minamino was an early plan to replace Shaq and we'll have to wait and see how this pans out. Maybe Thiago if Gini leaves or Klopp really thinks he brings something important to the way we play (something we don't have) but I say that mainly because the rumour wont go away and some things in this story are regarded as facts (like him telling his teamates he would like to play for Klopp and LFC and Klopp being a fan of Thiago).
      adammac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,097 posts | 117 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #76: Jul 17, 2020 09:02:59 pm
      The same goes for LB as we only have Robbo and surely nobody (Klopp and the rest of the staff) think that Milner is a viable LB replacement and I'd be surprised if the idea was to shift Neco Williams back and forth between RB and LB.

Though Milner will never push Robbo for starting role at LB this season he he put in good shift at LB/RB when called upon and Williams still looks a decent prospect but I wouldn't have him above Milner in the pecking order as backup full back yet. The problem with both of them is they're not left footed. In a pefect world I would think getting a left footed CB who can play LB would plug two of our holes (assuming Lovren is sold).

As far as Thiago really like the player and with  lot of sides just letting us have 60-70 percent possession he would add something to the attack we don't have. I wouldn't hate the move but it doesn't fill out more pressing needs (pacey forward and LB).
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 350 posts | 113 
      Reply #77: Jul 18, 2020 01:54:04 pm
      Though Milner will never push Robbo for starting role at LB this season he he put in good shift at LB/RB when called upon and Williams still looks a decent prospect but I wouldn't have him above Milner in the pecking order as backup full back yet. The problem with both of them is they're not left footed. In a pefect world I would think getting a left footed CB who can play LB would plug two of our holes (assuming Lovren is sold).

As far as Thiago really like the player and with  lot of sides just letting us have 60-70 percent possession he would add something to the attack we don't have. I wouldn't hate the move but it doesn't fill out more pressing needs (pacey forward and LB).
      I would also add that Milner is 34 going towards 35. He won't give you anything near what Robbo gives you in terms of bombing up and down the pitch. You can't stick him in there and expect him to give you 90 minutes of the same intensity Robbo gives you.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,655 posts | 2908 
      Reply #78: Jul 18, 2020 02:21:54 pm
      I would also add that Milner is 34 going towards 35. He won't give you anything near what Robbo gives you in terms of bombing up and down the pitch. You can't stick him in there and expect him to give you 90 minutes of the same intensity Robbo gives you.

Milner is still the fittest player in the squad.

He's renowned for it.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 30,915 posts | 4530 
      Reply #79: Jul 18, 2020 03:08:23 pm
      Milner is still the fittest player in the squad.

He's renowned for it.

Expecting an offer soon from Leeds!

It's deffo on his to-do list.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,603 posts | 4070 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #80: Jul 19, 2020 01:48:59 am

:-\ 

Will miss his sure thing penalties!
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,075 posts | 327 
      Reply #81: Jul 19, 2020 10:17:51 am
      :-\ 

Will miss his sure thing penalties!

Same. Fabinho needs to start taken em
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,563 posts | 383 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #82: Jul 19, 2020 10:20:21 am
      Quality player, just not sure who he replaces in our starting 11?

Fab, Hendo and Keita is the three for me.

Is he to come in as a squad player who can play in the midfield three as well as Bobby's role?
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,502 posts | 2374 
      Reply #83: Jul 19, 2020 04:32:56 pm
      Quality player, just not sure who he replaces in our starting 11?

Fab, Hendo and Keita is the three for me.

Is he to come in as a squad player who can play in the midfield three as well as Bobby's role?

So he can cover all midfield and false 9, what's the problem?
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,563 posts | 383 
      Reply #84: Jul 19, 2020 04:35:37 pm
      So he can cover all midfield and false 9, what's the problem?

Where did I say there was a problem? I said I don't see him getting into our starting 11.

If he wants to come in as a squad player than nice, otherwise I just don't see it happening.
      srslfc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 26,543 posts | 2397 
      Reply #85: Jul 19, 2020 05:50:56 pm
      Where did I say there was a problem? I said I don't see him getting into our starting 11.

If he wants to come in as a squad player than nice, otherwise I just don't see it happening.

I'd sooner he wanted to come here and think he's good enough to dislodge someone in the first 11 and he probably would think that.

I don't see any downside to this transfer at all if it ever happens.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,655 posts | 2908 
      Reply #86: Jul 19, 2020 06:08:08 pm

yep, and I wouldn't begrudge him the move if we have someone lined up to come in.

His experience has been invaluable for us.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,563 posts | 383 
      Reply #87: Jul 19, 2020 09:00:18 pm
      I'd sooner he wanted to come here and think he's good enough to dislodge someone in the first 11 and he probably would think that.

I don't see any downside to this transfer at all if it ever happens.

I wouldn't see a downside to it either, just more about whether it is realistically going to happen, if it does great.
      adammac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,097 posts | 117 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #88: Jul 19, 2020 09:08:00 pm

I think he could be rotated in when we are playing sides who park the bus when we will see 60-70 percent of the ball. Based on his injury history I don't think he fit enough to start majorty of games but he does offer something different.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,550 posts | 3694 
      Reply #89: Jul 19, 2020 10:26:41 pm
      I’m not sure why anyone thinks we’d buy a player we don’t really need, that doesn’t fit our profile when we passed on one that does already?
      ConzS
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,808 posts | 550 
      Reply #90: Jul 23, 2020 12:26:11 pm
      I’m not sure why anyone thinks we’d buy a player we don’t really need, that doesn’t fit our profile when we passed on one that does already?
      Can think of about 50 million reasons.

As people have said above, I think this only happens if Gini goes the other way.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,317 posts | 1455 
      Reply #91: Jul 23, 2020 01:33:48 pm
      Can think of about 50 million reasons.

As people have said above, I think this only happens if Gini goes the other way.

I would rather hold on to Gini.

Next seaaon it should be Fabinho and Naby with one of Hendo/Gini as our first choice midfield.
      ConzS
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,808 posts | 550 
      Reply #92: Jul 23, 2020 03:32:17 pm
      I would rather hold on to Gini.

Next seaaon it should be Fabinho and Naby with one of Hendo/Gini as our first choice midfield.
      I would as well to be honest. Much as I rate Thiago I can’t see him and Keita both starting in this Liverpool midfield.
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,502 posts | 2374 
      Reply #93: Jul 23, 2020 03:40:28 pm
      I would as well to be honest. Much as I rate Thiago I can’t see him and Keita both starting in this Liverpool midfield.

Unless we decide to go in full attack mode. I'd liek to see Thiago as it would give us some fantastic attacking options and next season we will need to attack more through the centre, can't rely on the fullbacks to create every game.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,825 posts | 427 
      Reply #94: Jul 23, 2020 07:16:47 pm
      Not going away this one
      Munch101
      • Forum John Barnes
      • Started Topic

• 423 posts | 57 
      Reply #95: Jul 23, 2020 07:49:45 pm
      Cause it's happening
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 350 posts | 113 
      Reply #96: Jul 23, 2020 09:22:23 pm
      I know people see this transfer as a weird one because there is a legitimate question in terms of why do we need another midfielder, especially if Gini signs a new deal.

I'm not debating if we should or should not get him, but I think that if it ends up happening then this probably indicates a willingness to, firstly, diversify the way we play and, secondly, a willingness to have some serious depth in order to effectively challenge for more than one competition. I also would not underestimate the importance of having a player that fits the mentality of the squad and that can bring an element of experience in terms of retaining a tittle and staying hungry.

Thiago being in the squad means added versatility. Keita, Ox, Hendo, and Gini are all players that fit perfectly in a 3 men midfield. Thiago does too, but he can also be a perfect box to box guy in a 2 men pivot with Fab. He's good defensively, but he's also very good on the front foot and transitionning from defense to attack. This essentially means that you can, when you need to, switch to something like 4-2-3-1 (maybe Takumi or even Salah as AM) or something like a 3-4-3 when you want to maximize TAA and Robbo's offensive input without necessarily having them run giant laps back into defense all game long because you can spread a 3 men back line in front of two intelligent and highly ''skilled at pressing'' guys like Fab and Thiago.

All I am saying is that it's not black or white like people seem to think. Depending on what Klopp has in mind, we could actually need a guy like Thiago and make good use of him.

Edit: this train of thought is also because I basically just read a piece in which Lijnders was talking about the need to diversify the way we play next season as he says teams have begun choking Robbo and TAA as they undertsood that those two guys are our main creative threat and have started adapting
      « Last Edit: Jul 23, 2020 09:27:30 pm by PolarBearRed »
      Isaac!
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 46 posts | 15 
      Reply #97: Jul 23, 2020 09:39:07 pm
      Good post Polar Bear. When I first heard of the link and researched Thaigo I dismissed it because he's an exact replica of Keita, although seeming to be maybe a level above ( recent events have brought this into question! ) Yet I think they can both be accommodated, as Thiaggo can play almost any midfield role brilliantly, even a deep lying play maker. The accounts of his character and dressing room influence are very good and it has crossed my mind that he could be the role model and catalyst to bring the best out of Naby. Keita had said in the past that he modelled his game on Thiago's.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,550 posts | 3694 
      Reply #98: Jul 23, 2020 11:31:12 pm

That’s because he hasn’t yet used us to get him a bigger deal with another club that’s actually interested.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 350 posts | 113 
      Reply #99: Jul 24, 2020 03:54:38 am
      Good post Polar Bear. When I first heard of the link and researched Thaigo I dismissed it because he's an exact replica of Keita, although seeming to be maybe a level above ( recent events have brought this into question! ) Yet I think they can both be accommodated, as Thiaggo can play almost any midfield role brilliantly, even a deep lying play maker. The accounts of his character and dressing room influence are very good and it has crossed my mind that he could be the role model and catalyst to bring the best out of Naby. Keita had said in the past that he modelled his game on Thiago's.
      I agree with you. He's versatile and smart in terms of breaking up play, pressing, and defending. This versatility combined with the fact that he is, in fact, world-class, and that he might just have the mentality traits Klopp likes just puts him somewhere else in the conversation in terms of deciding if its a transfer that makes sense or not (far from debating if it will happen or not).

Also people seem to forget we signed a 29yo Milner not so long ago and he ended up being a key player. We do make exceptions when a player fits a need (I know Klopp came after, but he was still an Edwards signing nonetheless).

Quick Reply