Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Thiago Alcantara (Bayern Munich)

Read 68263 times
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Re: Thiago Alcantara (Bayer Munich)
      Reply #92: Jul 23, 2020 03:32:17 pm
      I would rather hold on to Gini.

Next seaaon it should be Fabinho and Naby with one of Hendo/Gini as our first choice midfield.
      I would as well to be honest. Much as I rate Thiago I can’t see him and Keita both starting in this Liverpool midfield.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #93: Jul 23, 2020 03:40:28 pm
      I would as well to be honest. Much as I rate Thiago I can’t see him and Keita both starting in this Liverpool midfield.

Unless we decide to go in full attack mode. I'd liek to see Thiago as it would give us some fantastic attacking options and next season we will need to attack more through the centre, can't rely on the fullbacks to create every game.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,094 posts | 1632 
      Reply #94: Jul 23, 2020 07:16:47 pm
      Not going away this one
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt
      • Started Topic

• 495 posts | 80 
      Reply #95: Jul 23, 2020 07:49:45 pm
      Cause it's happening
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #96: Jul 23, 2020 09:22:23 pm
      I know people see this transfer as a weird one because there is a legitimate question in terms of why do we need another midfielder, especially if Gini signs a new deal.

I'm not debating if we should or should not get him, but I think that if it ends up happening then this probably indicates a willingness to, firstly, diversify the way we play and, secondly, a willingness to have some serious depth in order to effectively challenge for more than one competition. I also would not underestimate the importance of having a player that fits the mentality of the squad and that can bring an element of experience in terms of retaining a tittle and staying hungry.

Thiago being in the squad means added versatility. Keita, Ox, Hendo, and Gini are all players that fit perfectly in a 3 men midfield. Thiago does too, but he can also be a perfect box to box guy in a 2 men pivot with Fab. He's good defensively, but he's also very good on the front foot and transitionning from defense to attack. This essentially means that you can, when you need to, switch to something like 4-2-3-1 (maybe Takumi or even Salah as AM) or something like a 3-4-3 when you want to maximize TAA and Robbo's offensive input without necessarily having them run giant laps back into defense all game long because you can spread a 3 men back line in front of two intelligent and highly ''skilled at pressing'' guys like Fab and Thiago.

All I am saying is that it's not black or white like people seem to think. Depending on what Klopp has in mind, we could actually need a guy like Thiago and make good use of him.

Edit: this train of thought is also because I basically just read a piece in which Lijnders was talking about the need to diversify the way we play next season as he says teams have begun choking Robbo and TAA as they undertsood that those two guys are our main creative threat and have started adapting
      « Last Edit: Jul 23, 2020 09:27:30 pm by PolarBearRed »
      Isaac!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,572 posts | 325 
      Reply #97: Jul 23, 2020 09:39:07 pm
      Good post Polar Bear. When I first heard of the link and researched Thaigo I dismissed it because he's an exact replica of Keita, although seeming to be maybe a level above ( recent events have brought this into question! ) Yet I think they can both be accommodated, as Thiaggo can play almost any midfield role brilliantly, even a deep lying play maker. The accounts of his character and dressing room influence are very good and it has crossed my mind that he could be the role model and catalyst to bring the best out of Naby. Keita had said in the past that he modelled his game on Thiago's.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #98: Jul 23, 2020 11:31:12 pm

That’s because he hasn’t yet used us to get him a bigger deal with another club that’s actually interested.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #99: Jul 24, 2020 03:54:38 am
      Good post Polar Bear. When I first heard of the link and researched Thaigo I dismissed it because he's an exact replica of Keita, although seeming to be maybe a level above ( recent events have brought this into question! ) Yet I think they can both be accommodated, as Thiaggo can play almost any midfield role brilliantly, even a deep lying play maker. The accounts of his character and dressing room influence are very good and it has crossed my mind that he could be the role model and catalyst to bring the best out of Naby. Keita had said in the past that he modelled his game on Thiago's.
      I agree with you. He's versatile and smart in terms of breaking up play, pressing, and defending. This versatility combined with the fact that he is, in fact, world-class, and that he might just have the mentality traits Klopp likes just puts him somewhere else in the conversation in terms of deciding if its a transfer that makes sense or not (far from debating if it will happen or not).

Also people seem to forget we signed a 29yo Milner not so long ago and he ended up being a key player. We do make exceptions when a player fits a need (I know Klopp came after, but he was still an Edwards signing nonetheless).
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,094 posts | 1632 
      Reply #100: Jul 24, 2020 12:31:06 pm
      That’s because he hasn’t yet used us to get him a bigger deal with another club that’s actually interested.

Will see
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #101: Jul 24, 2020 12:33:11 pm
      Also people seem to forget we signed a 29yo Milner not so long ago and he ended up being a key player. We do make exceptions when a player fits a need (I know Klopp came after, but he was still an Edwards signing nonetheless).

On a free with us only having to pay his wages!!

Not the same as paying a fee for a 29 year old, hence us supposedly not going for Koulibaly from Napoli.

redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,101 posts | 125 
      Reply #102: Jul 26, 2020 08:53:41 pm
      It wont be a free, but a great option, this fella oozess class, and to help us stay on top maybe a great addition.
      I thought we had that with Shakiri,but with him being so succesful in his career so far, the guy just wants to play, and he is still only 28
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #103: Jul 27, 2020 12:17:49 am
      Earlier in the week - ESPN, Liverpool agree deal to sign Thiago.

Today - ESPN, Liverpool won’t be signing Thiago as he doesn’t fit their transfer profile.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #104: Jul 27, 2020 02:07:16 am
      On a free with us only having to pay his wages!!

Not the same as paying a fee for a 29 year old, hence us supposedly not going for Koulibaly from Napoli.
      Oh, I had forgotten Milner was on a free. You are right, big difference indeed. But I'll still regard it as some kind of proof that if a player really fits what we're looking for we can disregard the age. Are we ready to also disregard 25-30M pounds too, this I don't know. We'll have to wait and see.  :laugh:
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #105: Jul 31, 2020 06:08:26 pm
      Karl-heinz rumminege has said he's deffo leaving Bayern!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #106: Aug 01, 2020 12:34:58 pm
      Apparently he’s set for PSG now
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #107: Aug 01, 2020 01:30:15 pm
      Surely people must have known that he doesn’t fit into the transfer policy and that we already have 7 centre mids
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #108: Aug 01, 2020 04:27:55 pm

Surprise, a player using us to get himself a good deal somewhere else.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #109: Aug 01, 2020 05:24:01 pm

Any sensible person would have seen it a mile away - he doesn’t fit the model, far too many get sucked in by the bullshit
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #110: Aug 01, 2020 10:51:09 pm

Well to be fair it’s been unreliable sources the whole time even saying we were after him in the first place.
      Never believed it from the start.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #111: Aug 02, 2020 12:51:11 am
      Why is it that the same people who have been saying it is unreliable sources are now somehow trusting these same sources and are convinced he's signing for PSG and that he used us.

Not saying we are or we should but lets, at least, be coherent  ;D
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #112: Aug 02, 2020 02:13:47 am
      Still don’t see how he is even a need. We have a player like this already, his name is Naby Keita.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #113: Aug 02, 2020 11:44:26 am
      Why is it that the same people who have been saying it is unreliable sources are now somehow trusting these same sources and are convinced he's signing for PSG and that he used us.

Not saying we are or we should but lets, at least, be coherent  ;D

By people you mean me, so say it instead of being snide.

I didn’t say I believed he was set for PSG, it was highlighting how the reports have suddenly changed from apparently being set for us, hence why I put “Apparently he is set for PSG now
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #114: Aug 02, 2020 12:47:42 pm
      Any sensible person would have seen it a mile away - he doesn’t fit the model, far too many get sucked in by the bullshit

So we all gonna be honest and say FSG aren't giving us any transfer funds in the next six weeks?

Quick Reply