Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

Thiago Alcantara (Bayern Munich)

Read 68826 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Thiago Alcantara (Bayern Munich)
      Reply #138: Aug 13, 2020 05:12:36 pm
      We already have 7 centre mids fighting for 3 spots

I don’t think it will happen, signing Thiago that is. But, hypothetically speaking, if it did then I would expect either Ox or Gini to be on their way out which again would leave the midfield numbers as they currently are. In addition to that, I wonder if we are likely to see Jones potentially used in a wide forward role as cover for Mane or Salah because out of the midfielders, I think he’s probably the most suited to being able to do so and would do it much more effectively than what Ox does and this could potentially be instead of bringing another wide forward in.

Also, there’s no guarantee we will bring in a CB to replace Lovren because as we’ve seen with Fab, he is more than capable of playing there so could always act as the 4th CB.

I know it seems as though we currently have too many numbers to be bringing Thiago in but there are definitely ways to fit him into the team and in terms of players to do so, he is definitely the calibre of player we should be looking at. You can never have too many quality players and it’s better to have the dilemma of fitting them all into the team than the dilemma of a bang average squad like we had 5 years ago.

If it’s possible to bring Thiago in then would like to see it happen because he’s a world class player and is at his peak so he could easily have another few years at the very top.

But like I said, I still don’t think it’s a transfer that is going to happen.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,193 posts | 6346 
      Reply #139: Aug 13, 2020 05:37:32 pm
      I don’t think it will happen, signing Thiago that is. But, hypothetically speaking, if it did then I would expect either Ox or Gini to be on their way out which again would leave the midfield numbers as they currently are. In addition to that, I wonder if we are likely to see Jones potentially used in a wide forward role as cover for Mane or Salah because out of the midfielders, I think he’s probably the most suited to being able to do so and would do it much more effectively than what Ox does and this could potentially be instead of bringing another wide forward in.

Also, there’s no guarantee we will bring in a CB to replace Lovren because as we’ve seen with Fab, he is more than capable of playing there so could always act as the 4th CB.

I know it seems as though we currently have too many numbers to be bringing Thiago in but there are definitely ways to fit him into the team and in terms of players to do so, he is definitely the calibre of player we should be looking at. You can never have too many quality players and it’s better to have the dilemma of fitting them all into the team than the dilemma of a bang average squad like we had 5 years ago.

If it’s possible to bring Thiago in then would like to see it happen because he’s a world class player and is at his peak so he could easily have another few years at the very top.

I keep watching highlight films and I just don't see how he offers us so much more than what we have that he'd be a pressing need when you factor in he kind of goes against the typical FSG type of signing.

He's a little bit of Coutinho, a little bit of Keita, a little bit of Hendo and some of Ox. I guess it's nice to have that all in one player, but I still can't workout that we need that. Like you I wouldn't turn him down. But I'd much rather we splash money on a forward myself.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,790 posts | 2446 
      Reply #140: Aug 13, 2020 05:45:53 pm
      I keep watching highlight films and I just don't see how he offers us so much more than what we have that he'd be a pressing need when you factor in he kind of goes against the typical FSG type of signing.

He's a little bit of Coutinho, a little bit of Keita, a little bit of Hendo and some of Ox. I guess it's nice to have that all in one player, but I still can't workout that we need that. Like you I wouldn't turn him down. But I'd much rather we splash money on a forward myself.

Can only see this happening if the club are either looking to sell Gini this window or aren't renewing his contract.

Either way Gini is key to this I believe.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,547 posts | 3906 
      Reply #141: Aug 13, 2020 06:51:00 pm
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,685 posts | 3360 
      Reply #142: Aug 13, 2020 06:53:16 pm

The same person announced back in May that Thiago had signed a new contract
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #143: Aug 13, 2020 08:08:39 pm
      Just watched a highlight video. Two observations:

1. He would get kicked off the pitch in England.

2. Is it an international law that everybody who makes a highlight reel of a footballer on YouTube must select the most horrendous music for the audio?
      Kopite78
      Reply #144: Aug 13, 2020 08:11:47 pm
      Just watched a highlight video. Two observations:

1. He would get kicked off the pitch in England.

2. Is it an international law that everybody who makes a highlight reel of a footballer on YouTube must select the most horrendous music for the audio?

1. He wouldn't. The German league is just as tough as ours and his technical ability means he could move the ball in any league

2. I believe so

3. Truth be told I dont see where we need him. He is quality but I truly believe this is from his side/media. 
      Nothing to do with  Gini whatsoever. Gini wont be going anywhere this summer
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,115 posts | 126 
      Reply #145: Aug 13, 2020 09:07:01 pm

I know what your saying mate, but we need Naby to step up, and whether JK has faith in him. he is as good, but he need to be cosistent.  He can open up holes by carrying the ball, but he needs to know when to pass.
      deneb
      • Forum Youth Player

• 19 posts |
      Reply #146: Aug 13, 2020 09:11:24 pm
      I'm still ambivalent about the need for us to sign him, but I would love the timeline if it were true of us not making an approach, Pep making an approach and for some reason saying he would pay more than the asking price, then us saying yeah ok we'll take him for £27m, and Thiago telling City he wants to come here instead.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #147: Aug 13, 2020 09:58:35 pm
      His wages would be astronomical most likely. Just like Werner. We obviously aren’t going for players that require high wages right off the bat. And especially a player like this that’s somewhat injury prone and hitting or past his peak age wise.

I'm all for that.  Making players prove their worth in wages.  I wouldn't change that in a hurry think it is a key component of our rise to the top. 
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,353 posts | 1024 
      Reply #148: Aug 13, 2020 10:12:26 pm
      Really don’t see this happening unless it’s replacing one of our starting midfielders i.e. Gini. Can you see Thiago coming here and putting Fab, Gini or Hendo on the bench? Then we factor in Keita, Ox, Milner and Jones. He’s plenty talented of course but look what we’ve won with this midfield. Can you see us paying the wages he would demand to be on the bench? Maybe rotational player is a better way of putting it but even then just don’t see how this works.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #149: Aug 13, 2020 10:20:41 pm
      I know what your saying mate, but we need Naby to step up, and whether JK has faith in him. he is as good, but he need to be cosistent.  He can open up holes by carrying the ball, but he needs to know when to pass.

Keita was arguably one of our best players after the restart but didn’t play as much as he should. Big season for him, going into his 3rd year so it’s make or break for him with us now IMO.

I would like to see Thiago, Keita and Hendo as the midfield though.

We’ll see. Many of us don’t think it will happen but who knows, stranger things have happened.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,547 posts | 3906 
      Reply #150: Aug 13, 2020 10:21:32 pm
      Keita was arguably one of our best players after the restart but didn’t play as much as he should. Big season for him, going into his 3rd year so it’s make or break for him with us now IMO.

I would like to see Thiago, Keita and Hendo as the midfield though.

We’ll see. Many of us don’t think it will happen but who knows, stranger things have happened.

Fabinho is excellent, it’s no coincidence we have won 2 Major trophies since we signed him.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #151: Aug 13, 2020 10:23:51 pm
      Fabinho is excellent, it’s no coincidence we have won 2 Major trophies since we signed him.

Not saying he isn’t?
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,547 posts | 3906 
      Reply #152: Aug 13, 2020 10:25:42 pm

Apologies - I just saw your midfield 3 and questioned leaving out Fabs
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #153: Aug 13, 2020 10:27:52 pm
      Apologies - I just saw your midfield 3 and questioned leaving out Fabs

No problem mate. Was more the fact that it’s a long season so at some point that is the 3 I’d like to see, especially where Klopp has previously said how highly he rated Keita and Thiago, just seemed the most natural one to slot in with them 2 starting would be Hendo. Was also to touch on my previous point where I highlighted Fab’s ability to play CB too.

Certainly wasn’t meant in any way that Fab wouldn’t be a good choice.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,231 posts | 1650 
      Reply #154: Aug 13, 2020 11:01:16 pm
      Should be thankful we are being linked with class like Thiago whether he comes or not shows we are back amongst it. Would take him in a heartbeat a touch of class
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,547 posts | 3906 
      Reply #155: Aug 13, 2020 11:22:06 pm
      Should be thankful we are being linked with class like Thiago whether he comes or not shows we are back amongst it. Would take him in a heartbeat a touch of class

Bang on
      Kopite78
      Reply #156: Aug 13, 2020 11:26:21 pm

😂
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,547 posts | 3906 
      Reply #157: Aug 13, 2020 11:46:23 pm
      KoPiTee
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 911 posts | 19 
      Reply #158: Aug 14, 2020 01:20:30 am
      Could the fact Gini has not signed an extension to his contract and only has 12 months left on it be the reason we are looking at Thiago.
      I dont think the club is going to have another Emre Can situation again and allow him to go on a free
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #159: Aug 14, 2020 02:51:47 am
      Could the fact Gini has not signed an extension to his contract and only has 12 months left on it be the reason we are looking at Thiago.
      I dont think the club is going to have another Emre Can situation again and allow him to go on a free

We are not selling Gini.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,231 posts | 1650 
      Reply #160: Aug 14, 2020 09:05:18 am

How as that comment amused you so much?

Quick Reply