Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Thiago Alcantara (Bayern Munich)

Read 69229 times
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,509 posts | 1476 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Re: Thiago Alcantara (Bayern Munich)
      Reply #506: Sep 05, 2020 11:18:40 am
      I donā€™t usually get too into the financial side of stuff but it is worrying, or more so frustrating, I mean we are in the best period that weā€™ve ever been in during my life at least, with supposedly amazing profits, massive increase in an already global market, won a champions league, a premier league and played in numerous finals... yet we still seem to be on a ā€˜must sell before we buyā€™ scheme like we have the likes of Stuart Downing still playing for us... we are arguably the top team in the world, or at least top 3, and I think itā€™s about time we start showing that.

Iā€™m not saying go crazy and do a Man Utd and buy any random has been worldie, but when we see someone we want, get them, none of this squabbling over a couple million like weā€™re still a 6th place team. We are not Arsenal.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,933 posts | 3407 
      Reply #507: Sep 05, 2020 11:27:00 am
      No but I am very very angry that the club is not investing any money on transfers, they don't even have Ā£30m to sign a top top midfielder, it will cost us this season, I guarantee you.
      In all seriousness where the f**k has all the money we have earned gone, I thought we posted record profits earlier this year, this is the second summer with no spending, ok weird times but other clubs are doing some business, why aren't we?

When did the club say ā€œthey donā€™t have Ā£30milā€

And how will not getting Thiago ā€œcost usā€

I suspect a number of people have told you the current conditions of the finances but Iā€™ll try as well

We posted a total of Ā£40mil profits before tax

The club earned an extra Ā£25mil this year from the Premier League , but lost around Ā£20mil CL money

Since March the club have lost around Ā£40mil in revenues because of the lockdown, and will lose further income

There will be money in the club for the manager to spend - when they find players that are financially viable to the club

We have a squad of

3 GKā€™s

4 fullbacks

3CBā€™s

8 centre mids

7 forwards

Thatā€™s a squad of 25 plus the youth players

We are potentially short at CB and I suspect thatā€™s an area the club are looking at

If a player does leave that will leave a spot open and the club may well dip into the market again

We have a settled outstanding team that has won the big trophies, a manager who likes to work with a small personal squad

Other clubs will be spending - loans , owners money and adding some level of debt on the club plus teams like Leeds taking a risk on future income.

We are a club that is self sustaining , we spend what we earn , and itā€™s also spent sensibly on the right players , if the last 5 years havenā€™t shown some fans that the club knows what it is doing then nothing will

Far too many and yourself included think this is some sort of game or that the sport doesnā€™t have financial issues

I suspect without Covid losses then Werner might be a Liverpool player right now but I donā€™t ever expect too many signings when itā€™s clear the club have done a lot of work creating one of the best teams in Europe - maybe some should give the team a touch more credit and not write them off before a ball has been kicked.

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,420 posts | 3414 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #508: Sep 05, 2020 11:29:22 am
      Christ, this thread is becoming like the owners thread
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #509: Sep 05, 2020 11:59:09 am

I suspect a number of people have told you the current conditions of the finances but Iā€™ll try as well

The club earned an extra Ā£25mil this year from the Premier League , but lost around Ā£20mil CL money

Since March the club have lost around Ā£40mil in revenues because of the lockdown, and will lose further income

There will be money in the club for the manager to spend - when they find players that are financially viable to the club

We have a squad of

3 GKā€™s

4 fullbacks

3CBā€™s

8 centre mids

7 forwards

We are potentially short at CB and I suspect thatā€™s an area the club are looking at

If a player does leave that will leave a spot open and the club may well dip into the market again

We have a settled outstanding team that has won the big trophies, a manager who likes to work with a small personal squad

Other clubs will be spending - loans , owners money and adding some level of debt on the club plus teams like Leeds taking a risk on future income.

We are a club that is self sustaining , we spend what we earn , and itā€™s also spent sensibly on the right players , if the last 5 years havenā€™t shown some fans that the club knows what it is doing then nothing will

Far too many and yourself included think this is some sort of game or that the sport doesnā€™t have financial issues

I suspect without Covid losses then Werner might be a Liverpool player right now but I donā€™t ever expect too many signings when itā€™s clear the club have done a lot of work creating one of the best teams in Europe - maybe some should give the team a touch more credit and not write them off before a ball has been kicked.

So in your opinion all these other clubs are being reckless with the money they are spending or are they perhaps earning more money than us, I'm a bit confused about that because we are never going to be earning more than we have the last few years, certainly not in terms of prize money.

The reason we should get Thiago is because he's a big improvement on any current midfielder we have, the lad wants to join and it would only cost us Ā£30m. It is a complete no brainer of a deal but we are umming and ahhing, its a complete joke. We should also be forking out the Ā£40m needed to get Sarr or Traore to complete the squad and give JĆ¼rgen options in attack.

Basically if we don't have transfer funds now, after also doing sod all last summer, then we never have under these tight fisted ultra frugal owners and that is very worrying because there is only one way it will go.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #510: Sep 05, 2020 12:00:11 pm
      Christ, this thread is becoming like the owners thread

yes it is, mainly due to the fact that we are still unable to scrape together a paltry Ā£30m to get one of the best midfielders in the world who is very keen on playing for us.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,933 posts | 3407 
      Reply #511: Sep 05, 2020 12:24:28 pm
      So in your opinion all these other clubs are being reckless with the money they are spending or are they perhaps earning more money than us, I'm a bit confused about that because we are never going to be earning more than we have the last few years, certainly not in terms of prize money.

How are the likes of Everton earning more than us ? Do you understand that for example Spurs took out a loan for Ā£175mil ? Other clubs will be getting loans for owners or spending potential future earnings taking the risk ?

The reason we should get Thiago is because he's a big improvement on any current midfielder we have, the lad wants to join and it would only cost us Ā£30m. It is a complete no brainer of a deal but we are umming and ahhing, its a complete joke. We should also be forking out the Ā£40m needed to get Sarr or Traore to complete the squad and give JĆ¼rgen options in attack.

That at the end of the day is just your opinion and it seems to be based on some unrealistic expectations and also a lack of knowledge of how the club works - you say ā€œitā€™s just Ā£30mil and just Ā£40mil and just Traore ā€œ - thatā€™s about ā€œjust Ā£150milā€ worth of players plus wages plus agent fees plus signing on fees and it starts to creep over Ā£200mil

Looking at Thiago specifically there are a number of factors the club would look at - age , wages , injuries and fee , - only have to look at the transfer strategy over the past 5 years to see that its prob a player the club have no interest in signing despite his abilities ( which I believe are being blown up since being linked with us )

Basically if we don't have transfer funds now, after also doing sod all last summer, then we never have under these tight fisted ultra frugal owners and that is very worrying because there is only one way it will go.

We didnā€™t do sod all last summer , signed a player in jan and signed a player already this summer , the club are clearly just being patient and cautious but itā€™s a shame that some fans show a clear lack of understanding of the situation and paitence to let them do their jobs
      LiverpoolsFinest
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 183 posts | 36 
      Reply #512: Sep 05, 2020 12:39:02 pm
      Sadly I think you are right, the club must be on the brink of bankruptcy for us to be investing so little in the squad, at least we've had a great couple of years and hopefully someone with more ambition and deeper pockets can buy us or invest in us soon.

You're on a wind up, surely?
      LiverpoolsFinest
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 183 posts | 36 
      Reply #513: Sep 05, 2020 12:52:26 pm
      Let's presume JĆ¼rgen does want Thiago, and he has told Edwards to get him, the delay could be over something like the difference in fee we want to pay and how much Bayern want for him.
      No matter his ability, Ā£30m for a player who we can sign on a pre contract agreement in 3 1/2 months in the current financial climate makes no sense whatsoever.
      I'd wager, again if we actually are interested, that we are looking to pay a similar fee to what Gini has been touted as leaving to Barca for, about Ā£15m or so. We're not oil rich, where an extra Ā£15m means nothing, and we are all the better a club for it.
      I 100% believe we should not be resting on our laurels and the squad should be strengthened, but people losing their minds over a matter that none of us are privvy to is ludicrous.
      thanks2shanks
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 289 posts | 28 
      Reply #514: Sep 05, 2020 01:17:54 pm
      I've seen various reports that if Gini leaves (and I hope he doesn't), Thiago will replace him.

But they're very different types of player. Gini is an all-action, box-to-box workaholic. Thiago is more a play-maker in the style of Xabi Alonso. At Bayern he plays in front of the back four, just as Fabinho does for us.

If Gini leaves, you'd expect Naby K/Milly/Curtis J to take turns filling that slot.

If Thiago arrives, maybe Fabinho would spend some time at centre-back? Or maybe that could play together sometimes in a 4-2-3-1?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #515: Sep 05, 2020 01:29:27 pm
      How are the likes of Everton earning more than us ? Do you understand that for example Spurs took out a loan for Ā£175mil ? Other clubs will be getting loans for owners or spending potential future earnings taking the risk ?

That at the end of the day is just your opinion and it seems to be based on some unrealistic expectations and also a lack of knowledge of how the club works - you say ā€œitā€™s just Ā£30mil and just Ā£40mil and just Traore ā€œ - thatā€™s about ā€œjust Ā£150milā€ worth of players plus wages plus agent fees plus signing on fees and it starts to creep over Ā£200mil

Looking at Thiago specifically there are a number of factors the club would look at - age , wages , injuries and fee , - only have to look at the transfer strategy over the past 5 years to see that its prob a player the club have no interest in signing despite his abilities ( which I believe are being blown up since being linked with us )

We didnā€™t do sod all last summer , signed a player in jan and signed a player already this summer , the club are clearly just being patient and cautious but itā€™s a shame that some fans show a clear lack of understanding of the situation and paitence to let them do their jobs

;D, you're counting Ā£8m for Taki and Ā£13m for Kostas as a major outlay, F***ing hell if that what we've come to!!!

Take a look at this list of transfer dealings this year and tell me its not slightly embarrassing that we are currently running a profit!
      https://www.transfermarkt.com.hr/premier-league/transfers/wettbewerb/GB1/plus/?saison_id=2020&s_w=&leihe=0&intern=0

Pretty much every major club in the league is outspending us.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #516: Sep 05, 2020 01:30:46 pm

sadly no, I think something is very wrong financially with the club if we are on a sell to buy basis after 2 summers with almost zero activity
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #517: Sep 05, 2020 01:32:59 pm
      I've seen various reports that if Gini leaves (and I hope he doesn't), Thiago will replace him.

But they're very different types of player. Gini is an all-action, box-to-box workaholic. Thiago is more a play-maker in the style of Xabi Alonso. At Bayern he plays in front of the back four, just as Fabinho does for us.

If Gini leaves, you'd expect Naby K/Milly/Curtis J to take turns filling that slot.

If Thiago arrives, maybe Fabinho would spend some time at centre-back? Or maybe that could play together sometimes in a 4-2-3-1?

;D if Gini is a box to box midfielder then he's F***ing sh*t at it, zero assists and very few goals in the last few years. Gini is a very good midfielder, predominantly defensive and disruptive (in a good sense), but I honestly think Thiago would offer us a hell of a lot more.
      thanks2shanks
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 289 posts | 28 
      Reply #518: Sep 05, 2020 01:57:15 pm
      ;D if Gini is a box to box midfielder then he's f**king sh*t at it
      In light of their 0-4 experience at Anfield last year, very unlikely Barcelona would agree....

« Last Edit: Sep 05, 2020 02:02:36 pm by thanks2shanks »
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,933 posts | 3407 
      Reply #519: Sep 05, 2020 02:07:06 pm
      ;D, you're counting Ā£8m for Taki and Ā£13m for Kostas as a major outlay, f**king hell if that what we've come to!!!

Take a look at this list of transfer dealings this year and tell me its not slightly embarrassing that we are currently running a profit!
      https://www.transfermarkt.com.hr/premier-league/transfers/wettbewerb/GB1/plus/?saison_id=2020&s_w=&leihe=0&intern=0

Pretty much every major club in the league is outspending us.

Who said anything about it being a major outlay ?

Why the hell do we need a major outlay ffs

Why would I be embarrassed about our transfer dealings - do we get a trophy for spending the most money - is it a seperate competition
      shawspeed
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 566 posts | 128 
      Reply #520: Sep 05, 2020 02:09:35 pm

We have a squad of

3 GKā€™s

4 fullbacks

3CBā€™s

8 centre mids

7 forwards

What is the offset against the Ā£40m revenue lost for reduction in costs such as matchday policing, matchday staffing cost, catering supplies, electricity costs, likely reduction in insurance costs etc etc?
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #521: Sep 05, 2020 03:05:08 pm
      What is the offset against the Ā£40m revenue lost for reduction in costs such as matchday policing, matchday staffing cost, catering supplies, electricity costs, likely reduction in insurance costs etc etc?

Lallana in pyjamas wrote profit before tax of Ā£40m which include these overheads.  Or are you asking for the exact figures?  The thing is we don't know when things will go back to normality.  Full stadiums and sponsors paying their full payments at the moment we are getting the back lashes like the Chinese sponsor not paying and the contract being terminated.   

Personally I think the club has money for transfers and their will be signings if the right player becomes available.  Some deals take longer than others. 
      « Last Edit: Sep 05, 2020 03:10:42 pm by king kenny »
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #522: Sep 05, 2020 03:50:47 pm
      Who said anything about it being a major outlay ?

Why the hell do we need a major outlay ffs

Why would I be embarrassed about our transfer dealings - do we get a trophy for spending the most money - is it a seperate competition

No but we do get a trophy for having a good team and squad and if you think there isn't room for improvement then you're delusional.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #523: Sep 05, 2020 03:52:54 pm
      Lallana in pyjamas wrote profit before tax of Ā£40m which include these overheads.  Or are you asking for the exact figures?  The thing is we don't know when things will go back to normality.  Full stadiums and sponsors paying their full payments at the moment we are getting the back lashes like the Chinese sponsor not paying and the contract being terminated.   

Personally I think the club has money for transfers and their will be signings if the right player becomes available.  Some deals take longer than others. 

Literally every other top half team in the league is spending more than us, why are they not worried about the future or have they perhaps earned more than us over the last few years?? I am not askign Liverpool to spend like Chelsea or City, although it would be nice, but at least try and match Arsenal or Spurs.
      shawspeed
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 566 posts | 128 
      Reply #524: Sep 05, 2020 04:50:36 pm

He quoted Ā£40m loss of revenue, so my question is still valid
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,933 posts | 3407 
      Reply #525: Sep 05, 2020 05:17:54 pm
      No but we do get a trophy for having a good team and squad and if you think there isn't room for improvement then you're delusional.

So those are the trophies we have won over the past two years then ?

When did I say there is no room for improvement ?

Iā€™m just not acting like a pathetic child and throwing strops about our net spend being low
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #526: Sep 05, 2020 09:25:25 pm
      So those are the trophies we have won over the past two years then ?

When did I say there is no room for improvement ?

Iā€™m just not acting like a pathetic child and throwing strops about our net spend being low

Good for you, do you get a medal for that? 😉🎖ļø
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #527: Sep 05, 2020 10:13:25 pm
      Literally every other top half team in the league is spending more than us, why are they not worried about the future or have they perhaps earned more than us over the last few years?? I am not askign Liverpool to spend like Chelsea or City, although it would be nice, but at least try and match Arsenal or Spurs.

Which team is spending so much that is getting under your skin outside of City and Chelsea.  Some teams might want to take bigger risk because of how much they have dropped in the last few seasons.  The potential of getting back into the Champions league and all that.  Our club may feel that we are in a good position and don't want take unnecessary risk.  I think if the right player comes  available we have money to spend, I really do believe that.

He quoted Ā£40m loss of revenue, so my question is still valid

Sorry misread that post!  I don't know how much that would be!

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #528: Sep 05, 2020 10:36:40 pm
      Which team is spending so much that is getting under your skin outside of City and Chelsea.  Some teams might want to take bigger risk because of how much they have dropped in the last few seasons.  The potential of getting back into the Champions league and all that.  Our club may feel that we are in a good position and don't want take unnecessary risk.  I think if the right player comes  available we have money to spend, I really do believe that. 

Thiago Alcantara is available, is he not the right player?

Quick Reply