Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Thiago Alcantara (Bayern Munich)

Read 68227 times
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Re: Thiago Alcantara (Bayern Munich)
      Reply #529: Sep 05, 2020 10:44:20 pm
      Thiago Alcantara is available, is he not the right player?

Gini is a available to Barca why don't they put in a bid for him? And if we are interested in him we will get him.  The last time we made the first move with Dirty Barca what happened?   Pepe Reina!  his head got turned by them lot too.
      Fan 86
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 760 posts | 38 
      Reply #530: Sep 06, 2020 07:22:19 am
      Heimdall, do you not think all this hinges the movement of one player. Like the domino effect, might be Gini or it could be another player (Wilson?). Maybe it’s the friendlies being played at the moment?. All of a sudden it could just all fall into place, and things start to happen.
      Thing positive dude.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #531: Sep 06, 2020 08:17:47 am
      Heimdall, do you not think all this hinges the movement of one player. Like the domino effect, might be Gini or it could be another player (Wilson?). Maybe it’s the friendlies being played at the moment?. All of a sudden it could just all fall into place, and things start to happen.
      Thing positive dude.

I think it probably does yes, but it shouldn't, we should be the ones buying Thiago first then worry about Gini. I think we run the risk of ending up without Thiago and with a slightly pissed off Gini for the season and for the sake of £26m that is silly.
      Fan 86
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 760 posts | 38 
      Reply #532: Sep 06, 2020 08:50:43 am
      Fair point!.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #533: Sep 06, 2020 11:05:22 pm
      Honestly given up on us signing this lad but to be honest, after watching Curtis Jones come on in that practice match, not really fussed about Thiago. Curtis looked like he belonged in that midfield and would love to see him get some more game time in there.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #534: Sep 07, 2020 10:04:02 am
      Thiago moves back to Barca, Gini plays with us this year and then moves on, gets replaced by an up and coming Curtis Jones next year.

That’s my prediction.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #535: Sep 07, 2020 01:04:31 pm
      Thiago moves back to Barca, Gini plays with us this year and then moves on, gets replaced by an up and coming Curtis Jones next year.

That’s my prediction.

That would cost the club at least £15m and we'd lose a squad member next summer with no funds to replace him so I hope you are wrong.

My prediction is we sell Wilson and Gini and from the money raised buy Thiago. We then have Jones playing more and more this season and learning from some very good midfielders.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #536: Sep 07, 2020 03:25:57 pm
      Honestly given up on us signing this lad but to be honest, after watching Curtis Jones come on in that practice match, not really fussed about Thiago. Curtis looked like he belonged in that midfield and would love to see him get some more game time in there.

It’s clear he’s getting a bigger role this year, and should given his performance and potential, further crowding the midfield and ability to give everyone enough minutes to be happy. And that’s before you count fringe players like Grujic, Wilson, etc.

Unless Gini leaves I don’t see how we can bring Thiago in, or anyone really.

bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #537: Sep 07, 2020 03:50:16 pm

Unless Gini leaves I don’t see how we can bring Thiago in, or anyone really.

We can definitely bring in a CB and winger still. Other than than we are very well covered.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #538: Sep 07, 2020 08:15:50 pm
      We can definitely bring in a CB and winger still. Other than than we are very well covered.

According to Paul Gorst we are moving forward with three CB’s and Fabinho as 4th choice.

Not real smart if you ask me.

rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #539: Sep 07, 2020 08:44:54 pm
      According to Paul Gorst we are moving forward with three CB’s and Fabinho as 4th choice.

Will need another midfielder then to cover Fab in case he gets called in to CB duties
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #540: Sep 07, 2020 09:46:01 pm
      Will need another midfielder then to cover Fab in case he gets called in to CB duties

Hmm if only someone was available and wanted to come. 🤔😉
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #541: Sep 07, 2020 10:26:07 pm

Not necessarily, Hendo can play that role just as well. Then we have Keita, Ox, Milly, Jones and as it stands Gini for the other 2 positions.

But am I going to take your point as another reason why I think we should sign Thiago? Absolutely.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #542: Sep 08, 2020 02:26:10 am

I see what you are saying but if we aren't going to buy a backup center back for 5-10 million, I doubt we will buy a backup midfielder for 10-20 million.

Especially if Gini stays, we should have enough midfielders for the season, even if Fab is also playing in the back line.

KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #543: Sep 08, 2020 07:32:09 am
      I'm hoping this one happens on a personal level as he seems not only like an elite performer but I think he's got the ability to tweak how we play and allow us to move the ball through the middle of the pitch more.

I've read a few times Klopp wants more 'unpredictability' and Thiago would absolutely bring that without costing us in terms of pressing or defensive actions. Feels like Wijnaldum wants his last big contract and I can't blame on him on one level but it's also a bit of a shame that we're looking to switch things up in midfield and he won't be around to play with more freedom. I think if he had stayed you could have gotten some of the same from Gini if you took of the handbreak more often.

I really hope that's a negotiating position.
      rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #544: Sep 08, 2020 08:37:36 am
      Not necessarily, Hendo can play that role just as well. Then we have Keita, Ox, Milly, Jones and as it stands Gini for the other 2 positions.

But am I going to take your point as another reason why I think we should sign Thiago? Absolutely.

Just also thinking about injuries  Ox and Keita known for
      rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #545: Sep 08, 2020 08:46:16 am
      I see what you are saying but if we aren't going to buy a backup center back for 5-10 million, I doubt we will buy a backup midfielder for 10-20 million.

Especially if Gini stays, we should have enough midfielders for the season, even if Fab is also playing in the back line.

If Gini stays then yes will be fine but I very much doubt he is
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #546: Sep 08, 2020 08:54:48 am
      If Gini stays then yes will be fine but I very much doubt he is

I really don't know. One thing I notice with this: usually when Barca or some other big club make noises about wanting one of ours, the supporter drumbeat is "f**k off." But since some here (not saying you) are in this Buy Thiago frenzy, those supporters are more like "get a good price so we can get our man."

I guess we'll see if he's really going.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #547: Sep 08, 2020 08:59:20 am
      I really don't know. One thing I notice with this: usually when Barca or some other big club make noises about wanting one of ours, the supporter drumbeat is "f**k off." But since some here (not saying you) are in this Buy Thiago frenzy, those supporters are more like "get a good price so we can get our man."

I guess we'll see if he's really going.

Out of interest who would you rather have in the team, Gini or Thiago?
      Kopite78
      Reply #548: Sep 08, 2020 09:02:01 am

Both excellent players

As long as we have one or the other we will be sound
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #549: Sep 08, 2020 09:04:29 am

Gini. He's already part of the team. He knows the system. Not doubting Thiago's ability, but I like what we've done with Gini in the team.  So long as he wants to be here, I'm fine with Gini.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #550: Sep 08, 2020 09:14:14 am
      Gini. He's already part of the team. He knows the system. Not doubting Thiago's ability, but I like what we've done with Gini in the team.  So long as he wants to be here, I'm fine with Gini.

OK that explains your position, you see I'd rather have Thiago, I think he would bring a lot more to the team, plus I don't like keeping players who don't want to be here as that can disrupt team harmony and Gini refusing to sign a new contract indicates someone who wants to leave doesn't it?
      Kopite78
      Reply #551: Sep 08, 2020 09:18:55 am
      OK that explains your position, you see I'd rather have Thiago, I think he would bring a lot more to the team, plus I don't like keeping players who don't want to be here as that can disrupt team harmony and Gini refusing to sign a new contract indicates someone who wants to leave doesn't it?

No it doesnt, not necessarily, that's where you're presuming.
      It might be that the deal doesnt suit rather than he wants to leave

You have to put yourself in their position, would you just sign the first thing put under your nose?

It doesnt necessarily mean he wants to leave that he hasnt signed a deal.

Quick Reply