Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Thiago Alcantara (Bayern Munich)

Read 68258 times
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Re: Thiago Alcantara (Bayern Munich)
      Reply #575: Sep 11, 2020 01:41:55 pm
      I'm not so sure now, I actually think we might keep Gini and get Thiago, I think Bayern Munich will blink first here, knowing that if they don't sell him now then they get zilch in transfer fee plus a slightly pissed off player so I think we'll get him for £25m'ish which will be a bargain.
      I hope you're right as both options would be fantastic, just can't see it myself.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #576: Sep 11, 2020 02:12:12 pm
      I am so happy that Gini will most probably stay. This is further proof to what Jürgen wanted to do to the club when he came in - to make it a destination rather than a stepping stone. And to choose us when Barca comes calling is further proof to how this has all come a full circle.

If Thiago comes in, well and good. But, at the moment he is not a red. So who cares!

Did I miss something?  Has Gini signed a new contract?
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,955 posts | 234 
      Reply #577: Sep 11, 2020 02:25:06 pm

No..He will "probably" stay
      Melissa Reddy had also stated earlier that the ideal scenario for Jürgen is to have both Gini and Thiago.

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2020/09/gini-wijnaldum-could-stay-at-liverpool-after-positive-talks-with-Jürgen-klopp/
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #578: Sep 11, 2020 02:37:11 pm
      Is it right that we could get Thiago on a free in January? Or is it only that we can agree the transfer but would need to take place next summer?

Think it’s the latter and wonder whether we might go down that route instead.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #579: Sep 11, 2020 02:41:20 pm
      Is it right that we could get Thiago on a free in January? Or is it only that we can agree the transfer but would need to take place next summer?

Its the latter, but Bayern know that if they don't sell him by October then they lose him on a free next summer, gives us some leverage especially if Gini signs a new contract.
      Kopite78
      Reply #580: Sep 11, 2020 02:42:08 pm

Yeah it's the latter

Hes out of contract next summer so can talk to teams outside of germany and agree a future move from January onwards

Personally think it's this summer or not at all though, he has his mind made up to move this summer, by all accounts anyway
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #581: Sep 11, 2020 02:45:50 pm
      Yeah it's the latter

Hes out of contract next summer so can talk to teams outside of germany and agree a future move from January onwards

Personally think it's this summer or not at all though, he has his mind made up to move this summer, by all accounts anyway
      Yeah thought it was. I just have a feeling that both players stay at there respective clubs and Gini goes elsewhere next year on a free and we replace him with Thiago, also on a free.
      Kopite78
      Reply #582: Sep 11, 2020 02:47:54 pm
      Yeah thought it was. I just have a feeling that both players stay at there respective clubs and Gini goes elsewhere next year on a free and we replace him with Thiago, also on a free.

To be honest I dont see any way we get Thiago truth be told.
      He earns over 200k a week right now, that's a higher basic than any player in our squad and 130+ a week over who he would replace

Pipe dream if you ask me personally, I can't see us smashing our wage structure for him
      « Last Edit: Sep 11, 2020 03:35:39 pm by Kopite78 »
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #583: Sep 11, 2020 03:51:42 pm
      To be honest I dont see any way we get Thiago truth be told.
      He earns over 200k a week right now, that's a higher basic than any player in our squad and 130+ a week over who he would replace

Pipe dream if you ask me personally, I can't see us smashing our wage structure for him

He'd be on a similar contract to everyone else, lower basic but more bonuses.
      Kopite78
      Reply #584: Sep 11, 2020 04:00:09 pm
      He'd be on a similar contract to everyone else, lower basic but more bonuses.

Very much doubt he'd take a wage cut to join
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #585: Sep 11, 2020 04:15:57 pm

Talks yesterday between the club and Gini reported as positive.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #586: Sep 11, 2020 04:30:43 pm
      Maybe it’s because I’ll never even dream of making what they make a week in a year, but I never get the wage thing when it comes to players... this isn’t aimed at Thiago, just in general, but if I was on 200k a week, but wanted to join another club, and they offered let’s say, 160k... in the mind of my little low income brain now, I’d take it... you literally make more money than you can spend, even at 160k...
      Kopite78
      Reply #587: Sep 11, 2020 04:32:50 pm
      Maybe it’s because I’ll never even dream of making what they make a week in a year, but I never get the wage thing when it comes to players... this isn’t aimed at Thiago, just in general, but if I was on 200k a week, but wanted to join another club, and they offered let’s say, 160k... in the mind of my little low income brain now, I’d take it... you literally make more money than you can spend, even at 160k...

It's all relative

If now you earn 20k a year
      Not sure youd take a job on 12k a year

People live within their means
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #588: Sep 11, 2020 04:33:43 pm
      It's all relative

Especially if your lifestyle is built around a £20K salary.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #589: Sep 11, 2020 04:36:05 pm
      It's all relative

Yeah I get that, and maybe it’s because it is a dream to me, but surely there’s a limit to what you can physically spend a week when you get to those crazy wages? Especially footballers who seem to be either at training or posting a image of them playing Fifa to Instagram? xD
      Kopite78
      Reply #590: Sep 11, 2020 04:48:06 pm
      Yeah I get that, and maybe it’s because it is a dream to me, but surely there’s a limit to what you can physically spend a week when you get to those crazy wages? Especially footballers who seem to be either at training or posting a image of them playing Fifa to Instagram? xD

But they may have designs on providing for their families as well, parents etc etc

They know they're done by mid 30s, they may want to set up their families for life
      They also have to think of agents %

Doesnt matter what you earn really, it's all relative

When you say he really wants to join us... for the right deal I'm sure he does but I'm sure there are a fair few clubs whod want him and offer him what he wants

Hes also got a year to run on his current deal, guaranteed money that, hed literally be giving money away to take less now
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #591: Sep 11, 2020 04:55:10 pm

Their toys cost more than our toys cost. So do their vacations and homes. That’s the rub. I agree with you to an extent but once they get used it that life that’s their normal.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #592: Sep 11, 2020 06:42:00 pm
      It's all relative

Crap example, as the less you earn the bigger the impact of any cut is, in reality 160k per week for 3 years is more than enough to live a life of luxury for now and the future. All these players are multi Millionaires with more money than they or their immediate families can spend. They can buy a new luxury apartment, cash, every quarter and after retiring live like Kings off a huge portfolio.
      Kopite78
      Reply #593: Sep 11, 2020 06:43:35 pm
      Crap example, as the less you earn the bigger the impact of any cut is, in reality 160k per week for 3 years is more than enough to live a life of luxury for now and the future. All these players are multi Millionaires with more money than they or their immediate families can spend. They can buy a new luxury apartment, cash, every quarter and after retiring live like Kings off a huge portfolio.

It's not a crap example, it's literally how it works

Simple really and if you cant see it you're either being deliberately obtuse or unintentionally obtuse

I'm not sure which is worse
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #594: Sep 11, 2020 08:40:46 pm

Sounds like its getting close.
      And if the deal gets done, can't see us signing Thiago.
      Also think Gini starts tomorrow.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #595: Sep 11, 2020 08:49:39 pm
      Sounds like its getting close.

Does it? I’ve not seen anything that’s any more reliable than the reports saying he was possibly on his way out the door.

Reports saying a meeting between Klopp and Gini went well. Like hell would anybody, don’t care who they are; Pearce, Reddy, Romano or whoever, there is no way any details of how a private meeting between Klopp and a player would get leaked/passed on.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #596: Sep 11, 2020 09:13:05 pm
      If Wijnaldum was going to sign another deal here I reckon it would Have been done already. Club wouldn’t want to leave it this late. He will be here at most one more year. So that will add to the list of players we need to add by next summer (CB, F and now M).
      harrydunn08

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #597: Sep 11, 2020 10:56:06 pm
      If Wijnaldum was going to sign another deal here I reckon it would Have been done already. Club wouldn’t want to leave it this late. He will be here at most one more year. So that will add to the list of players we need to add by next summer (CB, F and now M).

Maybe one of Elliott or Brewster is able to step up and fill the FW role?  Grujic or Jones for the CM role? 

Even with no signings, I still think we're title favorites, and probably top 4 in CL odds.  Its nice to be entering a new campaign in this position 🙂

Quick Reply