Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Thiago Alcantara (Bayern Munich)

Read 68235 times
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Re: Thiago Alcantara (Bayern Munich)
      Reply #713: Sep 17, 2020 03:53:32 pm
      I can see Thiago being used as a 6 (DM) against low block teams. His ability to rotate the ball and keep possession is probably better than anyone we have, maybe except Fabi. It'll be interesting to see how much Klopp trusts him to play as one of the 8's early on, considering how much work they have to do covering our full backs. Assume he will also play there, but maybe not till he's acclimatised to the system?

Either way it gives us options not only in terms of personnel but also how they're set up in midfield.

Speaking as if we've signed him but it does look like the medical and contract is all that's left to do?
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #714: Sep 17, 2020 03:54:55 pm
      The fight about who will start in the midfield is pointless. Time will tell us. We have a ton of games compacted into a very tiny schedule this year. We will definitely need to rotate the midfield.

Also, I think Thiago coming in might mean that we'll see much more 4-2-3-1's this year. He could double pivot with Hendo or Fab and it would mean having a Keita, Gini or Taki in the hole which is a position those three excel in. His arrival could also see us fiddling with something like a 3-4-3 during games.

He opens up a world of possibilities and he is a joy to watch play. There is nothing else to say other than F**k YESS BOYS!!! LET'S ENJOY THE SEASON!
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #715: Sep 17, 2020 03:57:41 pm
      As good as we’ve been over the last 2-3 seasons, one of (maybe the only) criticisms is that our midfield hasn’t been creative enough at times.

The front three are exceptional and usually our back five are too. The midfield can hide behind both of them at times.

We all know they work their socks off and how crucial they are for certain games, but we were definitely missing something still, and I believe Thiago is that missing piece.

Fabinho simply can’t be dropped. He’s the only player in the squad who can play DM to a world class level. If fit, he plays.

Thiago instantly becomes our best midfielder. From all of our other midfielders, the one who is most similar to him is Henderson. Despite being captain and despite having a decent season last year, Thiago is a far superior player.

You could play Henderson as the third midfielder and I’m sure Klopp will at times. But in terms of balance then Naby would certainly be a better option.

But as everybody else keeps saying, it’s great to have options.

For most other sides I think that would be a well balanced midfield but I think it's too top heavy for us. If Thiago is going to be a real creative threat then I think having Naby next to him leaves the defence exposed. Going from 3 fairly disciplined midfielders in Fabinho, Henderson & Wijnaldum to Thiago, Keita and Fabinho is a bit of a jump. Unless you instructed Thiago to play a more restricted role, then I don't think they'd cover the defensive ground needed to protect the defence when the full backs push forward
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #716: Sep 17, 2020 04:01:52 pm
      The fight about who will start in the midfield is pointless. Time will tell us. We have a ton of games compacted into a very tiny schedule this year. We will definitely need to rotate the midfield.

Also, I think Thiago coming in might mean that we'll see much more 4-2-3-1's this year. He could double pivot with Hendo or Fab and it would mean having a Keita, Gini or Taki in the hole which is a position those three excel in. His arrival could also see us fiddling with something like a 3-4-3 during games.

He opens up a world of possibilities and he is a joy to watch play. There is nothing else to say other than F**k YESS BOYS!!! LET'S ENJOY THE SEASON!

Agree totally with that! Especially regarding Minamino in the hole! We couldn’t stay the same shape even though the 433 will still be our go to formation, this now opens up more possibilities! when you’re on top it becomes about finding new ways to win and to play to remain on top! Think Klopp even mentioned something along those lines in an interview around the time of the shield
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #717: Sep 17, 2020 04:04:10 pm
      Few Eggs on faces on here claiming this would never happen and rumours false etc because certain journalists not giving it any attention  :lmao:

So I said I was wrong already.

But I'm still not going to conclude a transfer rumour is happening because Al from Swindon says on Twitter that his best mate's cousin's wife heard from the cashier at the cleaners that somebody's agent was bragging at the races about a big deal in the works.

When it was done, somebody at the club got the likes of Pearce, Reddy, Bascombe, Joyce and Maddock together and gave them all the exact same information. THEN we knew.

Jürgen has continued to stress that there are other ways of improving a side other than signing people, and that this club isn't going to be over-recruiting. Then there is the narrative from some fans that we are less of a club because we aren't spending the way Chelsea and City do. I will continue to speak against that.

But I was wrong about us being in for Thiago. I've been wrong before. Most people have, some of us can admit it.

fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #718: Sep 17, 2020 04:10:02 pm
      Pleased that Jürgen has pretty much got the player he wanted thats all we can ask for as supporters. To be honest he is a player who has passed me by throughout his career, his teams usually have other superstars that draw the attention.

On closer inspection of him since we were interested (think I said a while back hes always struck me as a nothing player) he looks like a real class act actually.

Described as an absolute professional and sensational person by Hansi Flick which is a pretty decent reference from his old manager.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #719: Sep 17, 2020 04:12:05 pm

But I'm still not going to conclude a transfer rumour is happening because Al from Swindon says on Twitter that his best mate's cousin's wife heard from the cashier at the cleaners that somebody's agent was bragging at the races about a big deal in the works.

When it was done, somebody at the club got the likes of Pearce, Reddy, Bascombe, Joyce and Maddock together and gave them all the exact same information. THEN we knew.

Jürgen has continued to stress that there are other ways of improving a side other than signing people, and that this club isn't going to be over-recruiting. Then there is the narrative from some fans that we are less of a club because we aren't spending the way Chelsea and City do. I will continue to speak against that.

But I was wrong about us being in for Thiago. I've been wrong before. Most people have, some of us can admit it.

Good for you, if more people on here could own up when they are wrong it would be a nicer place.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #720: Sep 17, 2020 04:13:55 pm

Agree totally with that! Especially regarding Minamino in the hole! We couldn’t stay the same shape even though the 433 will still be our go to formation, this now opens up more possibilities! when you’re on top it becomes about finding new ways to win and to play to remain on top! Think Klopp even mentioned something along those lines in an interview around the time of the shield
      Exactly, Pep Ljinders also spoke about it in detail during summer saying that teams figured out that if they can choke our full-backs then kinda clipped our wings in terms of creativity. He said we needed to find new ways to create chances which, really, was implying we need to have the tools to be able to implement those tactical variations

When you think about it, if we are to purely stick to a 4-3-3 with Robbo and TAA doing most of the creative work again then it makes almost no sense to get Thiago. He's here, yes because he is world class, but also because he offers Klopp huge tactical benefits any manager would love to have. Like you said, it's about finding ways to keep on winning now.
      Kopite78
      Reply #721: Sep 17, 2020 04:22:38 pm
      Good for you, if more people on here could own up when they are wrong it would be a nicer place.

F***ing hell

Your post count would be double apologising for every post 😀

I personally didnt this would happen, made up ot has..not arsed one bit that I was wrong and happy to admit I called this one wrong 👌
      CT_LFC

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #722: Sep 17, 2020 04:35:52 pm
      Pleased that Jürgen has pretty much got the player he wanted thats all we can ask for as supporters. To be honest he is a player who has passed me by throughout his career, his teams usually have other superstars that draw the attention.

On closer inspection of him since we were interested (think I said a while back hes always struck me as a nothing player) he looks like a real class act actually.

Described as an absolute professional and sensational person by Hansi Flick which is a pretty decent reference from his old manager.

Once again if Klopp wants a player FSG keep backing him and getting him. Fans just don't like and/or understand that getting a player is not as easy as it is in their game console.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #723: Sep 17, 2020 04:59:50 pm
      So it was the German media that were bang on, for weeks they’ve been saying we want him  whilst the English media said the opposite. Just again shows the English media know sod all about any dealings we are involved in.

Massive signing and the quality we should be looking to bring in now we are at the top.

I didn’t expect the move to happen and said so from the start so I’m relieved to have been wrong.

I hope Robbo doesn’t play poker.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheKop_com/status/1306590196364795904
      « Last Edit: Sep 17, 2020 05:22:40 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      beardo number 7
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 343 posts | 96 
      Reply #724: Sep 17, 2020 05:59:57 pm
      So it was the German media that were bang on, for weeks they’ve been saying we want him  whilst the English media said the opposite. Just again shows the English media know sod all about any dealings we are involved in.

Massive signing and the quality we should be looking to bring in now we are at the top.

I didn’t expect the move to happen and said so from the start so I’m relieved to have been wrong.

Robbo lying through his teeth 🤣🤣🤣
      rossyred

• 9,091 posts | 1632 
      Reply #725: Sep 17, 2020 06:00:31 pm

Wasn't aimed at anyone personally but to be honest think the rumours were coming from stronger sources than what you refer to
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #726: Sep 17, 2020 06:03:02 pm
      apperntly we only pay £5mill just now, rest of next few years. mike gordon strikes again. ;D

Nothing unusual there really, most transfer fees are divided across the length of the contract. The only time it isn’t done that way is when activating a release clause because that has to be paid in full and usually via the player.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #727: Sep 17, 2020 06:06:07 pm

There is a combination of things that, when they happen, at the very least you could infer that there is serious interest.

Jürgen saying he liked him, Thiago ''saying to his teammates he would like to join LFC'' being considered a fact early on, when the rumour just sticks and won't go way. The biggest for me was how some of the guys we trust like Pearce, Joyce and Reddy never came out to rule it out even tho it was a story that made a lot of noise and wouldn't go away. These guys, usually, when a rumour starts to pick up too much traction and is indeed fake, will come out and obliterate it early on. In this case they were pretty quiet which indicated that at the very least the interest was real. I think Pearce even said a couple of times we were interested but that it was only the finances that were in the way (on the Red Agenda podcast).

I think at some point during the summer it had become clear that we were interested and money was the only obstacle. Let's see if in the next hours/days we hear news of departures or if the management somehow made a u-turn on our policy for the summer. 

LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #728: Sep 17, 2020 06:12:20 pm
      World class recruitment like usual
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #729: Sep 17, 2020 06:14:09 pm
      There is a combination of things that, when they happen, at the very least you could infer that there is serious interest.

Jürgen saying he liked him, Thiago ''saying to his teammates he would like to join LFC'' being considered a fact early on, when the rumour just sticks and won't go way. The biggest for me was how some of the guys we trust like Pearce, Joyce and Reddy never came out to rule it out even tho it was a story that made a lot of noise and wouldn't go away. These guys, usually, when a rumour starts to pick up too much traction and is indeed fake, will come out and obliterate it early on. In this case they were pretty quiet which indicated that at the very least the interest was real. I think Pearce even said a couple of times we were interested but that it was only the finances that were in the way (on the Red Agenda podcast).

I think at some point during the summer it had become clear that we were interested and money was the only obstacle. Let's see if in the next hours/days we hear news of departures or if the management somehow made a u-turn on our policy for the summer. 

Actually starting to wonder if the finances were as much of an issue as some of us (me included) made them out to be or if that's just the club negotiating through the media. Either way, hoping that there's no traction to Brewster leaving because that could ring the bell of "sell to buy" as I see no reason to sell Brewster at this point unless it's to raise money.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #730: Sep 17, 2020 06:25:56 pm
      Actually starting to wonder if the finances were as much of an issue as some of us (me included) made them out to be or if that's just the club negotiating through the media. Either way, hoping that there's no traction to Brewster leaving because that could ring the bell of "sell to buy" as I see no reason to sell Brewster at this point unless it's to raise money.
      I wonder too. We'll see how it goes in the next few days. I reckon we are still going to sell some guys like Wilson, Grujic, Karius, etc.

Some stories starting to emerge about us enquiring and considering a move for Sarr, but no official bid or discussions with Watford yet. (Dominic King).

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #731: Sep 17, 2020 06:29:33 pm

It does give me a suspicious feeling we are about to see a departure. I guess we will find out soon enough but to me it would be a very bizarre decision to actually sell Brewster rather than loan him out.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #732: Sep 17, 2020 06:37:26 pm
      Thiago is a super player, would be absolutely delighted if we got him :)
      If we got him, and Minamino and Keita really kick on, maybe we don't need another attacker.
      Still think though at CB maybe could be doing with someone, though maybe Jürgen is thinking if came to it Fab would be OK there for a while.
      And would ideally keep Brewster, though a signing probably means Wilson and Grujic will be on their way.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #733: Sep 17, 2020 07:24:54 pm
      Need the defence to get its ar*e in gear! Attack is sorted.

F***ing hell, who released you from current affairs :laugh:

Back up centre-back coming in or Fab covering, I think we're sorted as far as squad numbers go.
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,709 posts | 162 
      Reply #734: Sep 17, 2020 07:26:03 pm
      Delighted with this. It really gives us more options in terms of formation and like many on here playing 4:2:3:1 looks like something we can deploy to great effect now. Buzzin☺️
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #735: Sep 17, 2020 07:49:40 pm
      Can’t wait for the announcement

Quick Reply