Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Villa?

Alisson
      21 (32.3%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      2 (3.1%)
      Joe Gomez
      1 (1.5%)
      Andy Robertson
      1 (1.5%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      Naby Keïta
      14 (21.5%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      16 (24.6%)
      Mohammed Salah
      3 (4.6%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      2 (3.1%)
      Roberto Firmino
      3 (4.6%)
      Curtis Jones
      2 (3.1%)
      Neco Williams
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 64

Voting closed: Jul 09, 2020 06:25:05 pm

Liverpool 2-0 Aston Villa: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 12347 times
      paulow63
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 648 posts | 83 
      Re: Liverpool 2-0 Aston Villa: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #230: Jul 05, 2020 06:48:43 pm
      Well thought Naby did OK, kept going and a nice pass to Sadio for the goal. The other two were passengers.
      Dont get me wrong, I thought he did OK as well but if I was Naby I would be thinking, right this is my chance, there's now way Jürgen is giving Gini my shirt, this is the biggest club in the world and I'm keeping this shirt for the foreseeable future.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #231: Jul 05, 2020 06:54:21 pm

First half Fabio holding with Nabby in no mans land really. The Ox was supposed to be the outright attacking midfielder but he didn'r really do much. Then Hendo & Gini took over and they know their way round Anfield blindfolded...with Nabby higher down the left side of mid and that's his best position..in real support of the attack, probing, pressing,extra man in the box as and when...and he did well.

And when he gets a decent run in that higher position I think we'll see the best of him but now Jones is a real alternative as the attacking midfield player. It's the Ox who concerns me..lot of iffy games.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #232: Jul 05, 2020 06:57:16 pm
      First half Fabio holding with Nabby in no mans land really. The Ox was supposed to be the outright attacking midfielder but he didn'r really do much. Then Hendo & Gini took over and they know their way round Anfield blindfolded...with Nabby higher down the left side of mid and that's his best position..in real support of the attack, probing, pressing,extra man in the box as and when...and he did well.

It's the Ox who concerns me..lot of iffy games.

Yea, me too. Needs to buck up in a big way. Playing like he is now I'd have the young lads on ahead of him.
      rossyred

• 9,092 posts | 1632 
      Reply #233: Jul 05, 2020 06:59:51 pm
      Yea, me too. Needs to buck up in a big way. Playing like he is now I'd have the young lads on ahead of him.

Just seeing the problems he had at Arsenal inconsistency
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #234: Jul 05, 2020 07:01:08 pm
      Ox was supposed to be the outright attacking midfielder but he didn'r really do much

Ox was pissing me off the amount of times he was giving the ball away, seemed incapable of doing a simple pass, players were running past him, his positioning was poor and generally stunk the place out.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #235: Jul 05, 2020 07:02:47 pm
      Boring game really until mane’s goal. Delighted for Curtis Jones, great weekend for him.

Origi gets his chance and produces that ? Upgrade needed in that department for sure and Klopp definitely more than anyone knows that.

Alisson’s save at the end, brilliant.

89 points 5 games to go is some achievement.

But the stuff we played behind Origi was so stifled and staid the ball was dead by the time it got to the front 3. Yes he didn't do well but Mane & Salah were the same for 50 mins..largly due to lack of pace and urgency, invention in that first 50 or so. Agreed a move might help Divock and the club.
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,234 posts | 261 
      Reply #236: Jul 05, 2020 07:08:34 pm
      I'm being very greedy I know but heart says I'm gutted we are out of the CL but head is saying the break from over two years of high pressure games will do us good.
      I'm thinking this year any team still in CL won't get any sort of pre season and the seasons will pretty much run into each other I'm thinking mid September the PL will restart.
      If you'd have asked us in August you can have one trophy the answer would be obvious as to which one but with us being reigning European Champions and going out basically to goalkeeping errors it still stings.. I think we are the best team in Europe on our day with our first XI, the rest will have breathed a sigh of relief when went out, I think it's only one leg games also.
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #237: Jul 05, 2020 07:12:43 pm
      But the stuff we played behind Origi was so stifled and staid the ball was dead by the time it got to the front 3. Yes he didn't do well but Mane & Salah were the same for 50 mins..largly due to lack of pace and urgency, invention in that first 50 or so. Agreed a move might help Divock and the club.
      Agree but even then in the first half Origi was dropping as far as the half way line at times for no reason at all and he really is not much use there. I don't mean move him on because having a big squad is important and he is handy for the league cup and early round of the FA cup etc what I mean is we need another attacker that he needs to be an upgrade on Origi, god forbid Salah or Mane are sidelined with an injury for a period next season.
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #238: Jul 05, 2020 07:13:31 pm
      Huge confidence player isnt he
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #239: Jul 05, 2020 07:24:08 pm
      What is it now..89pts...max 104..need 101 to shut Pep up...and Tyler..so can only drop 3 pts..mmm...we can do it...but is it a priority for the Boss. Don't know.

Over to the golf..see what Dechampoo does.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #240: Jul 05, 2020 07:49:23 pm
      Ox was pissing me off the amount of times he was giving the ball away, seemed incapable of doing a simple pass, players were running past him, his positioning was poor and generally stunk the place out.

Yea Ox has been pretty poor since the restart.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #241: Jul 05, 2020 07:51:32 pm

He was definitely one of the better players today not sure how he can be criticised.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #242: Jul 05, 2020 08:01:46 pm

When he does find his form he suffers long term injury. Ox hasn't done himself any favors since the restart pushing for more starts, time goes on for us he cementing his place as a versatile squad player.

Don't know what Naby people watched, other than the pass on the goal I thought he was poor as the rest of the guys.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #243: Jul 05, 2020 09:24:08 pm
      Did what we needed to do, Ox worries me at times, just disappeared today after giving the ball away a few times.

Naby played well, great ball to Mane and brilliant finish from Sadio. Great to see an appearance and goal from Jones.

Alisson keeps proving why he's the no. 1 keeper in the league.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #244: Jul 05, 2020 09:52:09 pm
      Ox worries me at times, just disappeared today after giving the ball away a few times.

Me too. When he's on it he gives us something none of the other CM do but he's been poor for a while now and like you say if it doesn't happen for him early on in games he just disappears.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #245: Jul 05, 2020 09:54:48 pm

And when he gets a decent run in that higher position I think we'll see the best of him but now Jones is a real alternative as the attacking midfield player. It's the Ox who concerns me..lot of iffy games.

Ox was brilliant before his horrendous knee injury. He somehow has to rekindle that to keep his hand on the shirt.
      « Last Edit: Jul 05, 2020 10:01:38 pm by GERNS »
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #246: Jul 05, 2020 11:01:29 pm
      When he does find his form he suffers long term injury. Ox hasn't done himself any favors since the restart pushing for more starts, time goes on for us he cementing his place as a versatile squad player.

Don't know what Naby people watched, other than the pass on the goal I thought he was poor as the rest of the guys.

Distinctly average for the first 50 mins or so, as were most of them.Picked it up as we shifted up a gear or three and did well but again he's not making it very very difficult for the Boss to leave him out.

This is in a sense is what the Boss is saying to the Ox as well and both do well at times, the Ox less so lately, but they aren't cementing their places. Jones is going to overtake both and he has the confidence of youth to try things and if he proves he can do it the Boss should give the lad his head for sure.
      « Last Edit: Jul 05, 2020 11:13:59 pm by Harrisimo »
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #247: Jul 05, 2020 11:04:54 pm
      The real plus in this seemingly rather dour game, a goal for Curtis Jones as well as some quality saves from Alisson Becker.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #248: Jul 06, 2020 09:04:54 am
      Good win in the end.

Nice to see Jones getting a goal.

Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #249: Jul 06, 2020 09:24:16 am
      I mean it's probably a bit to early to start making extravagant claims about Jones but he could be a genuine box to box top class midfielder in the making. I'm sure the Boss will manage him in the right way. One things for sure Jones doesn't lack confidence, confidence of youth maybe.

And there is a place in midfield up for grabs. The Boss has 2/3 goes to get in that driving attacking force from mid, almost yer could say since Coutinho left. Nabby, Ox, even Shaq...while he has had some joy none of them have really cemented their place.

The Boss has juggled the midfield pack brilliantly this season but it's an evolving situation.
      « Last Edit: Jul 06, 2020 09:29:52 am by Harrisimo »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #250: Jul 06, 2020 09:49:48 am
      I mean it's probably a bit to early to start making extravagant claims about Jones but he could be a genuine box to box top class midfielder in the making. I'm sure the Boss will manage him in the right way. One things for sure Jones doesn't lack confidence, confidence of youth maybe.

Both him and Harvey Elliott exude confidence in themselves some people probably consider it arrogance, but if you don't have that then it must be very hard to get yourself above the rest in these ultra competitive academies and that.

If he can find the goal at the age of 19 in Premier League games and in Merseyside derbies then he's a prospect.  He couldn't wish for a better football education than he's getting at the moment and he's got a great opportunity to become a part of our next decade.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #251: Jul 06, 2020 01:46:11 pm
      I did note how Curtis celebrated his goal.
      Be good if he could look a bit more pleased with himself, rather than looking so angry 😣
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #252: Jul 06, 2020 02:07:49 pm
      I did note how Curtis celebrated his goal.
      Be good if he could look a bit more pleased with himself, rather than looking so angry 😣

I didn't take it as anger. I thought he was pleased to accomplish something like that, a fist pump, perhaps somewhat fueled by missing the earlier chance and not getting a game for a while, but you see him smile a couple of times as his teammates are congratulating him.

I was struck at how Klopp subbed Jones on late in a one-goal game. The name of the game at that point was keeping the ball and Jones mentioned that in his interview on the official site. Supposedly he has been pegged to see more action next season and to replace Lallana's role in the squad (Adam has played in 22 matches this season, limited by injuries again).

Quick Reply