Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 19th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W11 D8 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Premier League or Champions League in 2021? Which one would you like more?

Premier League, No.20
      25 (83.3%)
      Champions League, No. 7
      5 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Premier League or Champions League 2021

Read 7385 times
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Premier League or Champions League 2021
      Jul 06, 2020 01:06:40 pm
      Cometely hypothetical scenario, but if you could only chose one to win next season - which would it be, and why?

I'm torn at the minute. Although we're champions, clinching the league at Anfield or lifting it in front of supporters is still something we won't be able to do for at least another year, plus it would be great to be one title away from being back on our "perch" in the English sense

On the other hand the European Cup for me is unrivalled, the biggest club competition in football by some distance, to win 7 and find ourselves level on 2nd with AC Milan would be incredible. Who cares about being one league title behind United if we've lapped them on European Cups? There's nothing like a European Cup final either, the build up, the atmosphere and excitement in the weeks prior, let alone the celebrations for many days after its won.

What's everyone's thoughts?
      « Last Edit: Jul 08, 2020 10:15:46 pm by JD »
      therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,116 posts | 147 
      Re: Premier League or Champions League
      Reply #1: Jul 06, 2020 01:22:03 pm
      It has to be the PL again. If not we are going to hear it from all and sundry that we are one hit wonders and it’s going to be another 30 years before we win it again.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,434 posts | 1731 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #2: Jul 06, 2020 01:34:39 pm
      Id take Premier league, that would equal the mancs 20 league titles. were already miles ahead of them in european trophies. ;D

But why not the double, we went deep into champions league this season, really shouldnt have lost to athletico, cant see many teams threatening us too much next season in europe.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #3: Jul 06, 2020 02:08:38 pm
      Cometely hypothetical scenario, but if you could only chose one to win next season - which would it be, and why?

I'm torn at the minute. Although we're champions, clinching the league at Anfield or lifting it in front of supporters is still something we won't be able to do for at least another year, plus it would be great to be one title away from being back on our "perch" in the English sense

On the other hand the European Cup for me is unrivalled, the biggest club competition in football by some distance, to win 7 and find ourselves level on 2nd with AC Milan would be incredible. Who cares about being one league title behind United if we've lapped them on European Cups? There's nothing like a European Cup final either, the build up, the atmosphere and excitement in the weeks prior, let alone the celebrations for many days after its won.

What's everyone's thoughts?

Yes, I want us to win them.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,627 posts | 2646 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4: Jul 06, 2020 02:39:02 pm
      Think it's always the Premier League for me. It's the holy grail after playing 38 matches in our domstic league.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #5: Jul 06, 2020 02:39:55 pm
      If I had to chose then PL, strike whilst the iron's hot because in a few years time I'll be surprised if its just between us and City, but I agree with the others, there is no reason why we can't do both, if it wasn't for the bad luck of having Allison injured we'd probably be in the quarter finals this year with a damned good chance of progressing.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,627 posts | 2646 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #6: Jul 06, 2020 02:49:39 pm
      If I had to chose then PL, strike whilst the iron's hot because in a few years time I'll be surprised if its just between us and City, but I agree with the others, there is no reason why we can't do both, if it wasn't for the bad luck of having Allison injured we'd probably be in the quarter finals this year with a damned good chance of progressing.

Off topic slightly but injury wise you lads didn't do to bad last year compared to others.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #7: Jul 06, 2020 02:53:54 pm
      Off topic slightly but injury wise you lads didn't do to bad last year compared to others.

yes and no, we actually had quite a few injuries, but not multiple ones in one area at the same time.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,036 posts | 6285 
      Reply #8: Jul 06, 2020 05:54:16 pm
      Not even a question...PL.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #9: Jul 06, 2020 06:03:39 pm
      It has to be the PL again. If not we are going to hear it from all and sundry that we are one hit wonders and it’s going to be another 30 years before we win it again.

That's a good point. A lot of them have already started with the "you're not truly a great team unless you retain it" shtick
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,101 posts | 4866 
      Reply #10: Jul 06, 2020 06:07:10 pm
      We can win both.

Gun to my head and I'd have to say retain the title.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,207 posts | 1414 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #11: Jul 06, 2020 06:31:26 pm
      Title, gotta take charge of your own back yard before thinking about taking charge of the world regularly.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,010 posts | 2735 
      Reply #12: Jul 06, 2020 06:56:15 pm
      Got to be league if we're talking about next year.

Two titles (with a 96 point season preceding it) and a European Cup would cement this team amongst the greatest to have ever played English football.
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #13: Jul 06, 2020 10:07:18 pm
      I'll take 3 PL titles in a row, then come and ask me again :)
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,627 posts | 2646 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #14: Jul 06, 2020 10:33:16 pm
      I'll take 3 PL titles in a row, then come and ask me again :)

Anyone won three on the bounce  :couch:
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #15: Jul 06, 2020 10:39:36 pm

Liverpool: 1981–82, 1982–83, 1983–84 can't remember the others  ;) 
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,627 posts | 2646 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #16: Jul 06, 2020 10:53:42 pm
      Liverpool: 1981–82, 1982–83, 1983–84 can't remember the others  ;) 

Isn't this thread the Premier league  :couch:  ;D
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,222 posts | 747 
      Reply #17: Jul 06, 2020 11:27:35 pm
      Given the choice Premier League every time, teams need to be consistent, over the season, of 38 matches.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,912 posts | 8428 
      Reply #18: Jul 07, 2020 01:15:48 am
      A trip to Wembley would be nice :laugh:
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,803 posts | 4909 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #19: Jul 07, 2020 03:33:22 pm
      Winning the league takes precedence over every other competition whether it be the Mickey Mouse cup, the football League cup, the FA cup, the Europa thingy or indeed the biggest club competition as is the Champions League,
      Winning the league, the so called Premier League with its new hat on is still the top most league of all, it is a measure of how your club, it’s players fair over 38 league games, it is the most difficult league to win above any other in Europe or indeed the world imo,

This particular version of the League began in 1992 when it became the ‘Premier League’ having split from the original Football League which originates from 1888, it still remains the top division in England despite having a new monicker, of which we have won 19 Times.

As the great Bill Shankly said, this is our bread & butter, you can have your cups and what not, but the league is the one we want each and every season without question, and so it should remain.

Y  N  W  A
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #20: Jul 07, 2020 04:11:23 pm
      I believe we'll win the PL at least once more with Klopp and I would love to see us successfully defend our title. I would make it our top priority next season.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,627 posts | 2646 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #21: Jul 07, 2020 04:47:31 pm
      Winning the league takes precedence over every other competition whether it be the Mickey Mouse cup, the football League cup, the FA cup, the Europa thingy or indeed the biggest club competition as is the Champions League,
      Winning the league, the so called Premier League with its new hat on is still the top most league of all, it is a measure of how your club, it’s players fair over 38 league games, it is the most difficult league to win above any other in Europe or indeed the world imo,

This particular version of the League began in 1992 when it became the ‘Premier League’ having split from the original Football League which originates from 1888, it still remains the top division in England despite having a new monicker, of which we have won 19 Times.

As the great Bill Shankly said, this is our bread & butter, you can have your cups and what not, but the league is the one we want each and every season without question, and so it should remain.

Y  N  W  A

Good post Billy, in total agreement
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #22: Jul 07, 2020 07:00:43 pm
      Champions of England again.

Quick Reply