Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Premier League or Champions League in 2021? Which one would you like more?

Premier League, No.20
      25 (83.3%)
      Champions League, No. 7
      5 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Premier League or Champions League 2021

Read 7416 times
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Re: Premier League or Champions League
      Reply #23: Jul 07, 2020 07:35:29 pm
      League is the bread and butter
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #24: Jul 07, 2020 07:51:51 pm

It is a real shithole round there though.
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #25: Jul 07, 2020 11:31:39 pm
      Big ears. Biggest prize in the sport but I do see why people would say league as they want that moment at Anfield that the pandemic stopped and that’s fair.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #26: Jul 08, 2020 12:46:50 am
      I'm a greedy c**t...I always want both!  :D :D
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #27: Jul 08, 2020 08:27:25 am
      Big ears. Biggest prize in the sport but I do see why people would say league as they want that moment at Anfield that the pandemic stopped and that’s fair.

Mate, not to single you out for any particular Reason, but you are completely wrong, this club, our institution was founded in 1892, 4 years after the start of the Football League, we as a club joined said association to play competitive association football against other members, at that time there was no competition from European clubs, our sole purpose was to win ‘The League’ as it was back then, Obviously as time progressed the league expanded with new members joining year on year,

The European cup/Champions League did not exist, that particular competition began in 1955/6, it was known back then as the European Champion clubs cup, our first sortie into a European competition didn’t arrive until Shanks took us into the UEFA cup in 1965, we were 73 years old by then, the Champions league, Old ‘Big Ears’ May be the biggest club competition there is, but it’s not the reason we became a football club,

Don’t get me wrong I love the CL, we’ve won the f**ker six fookin times with more to follow, but the league is the be all and end all competition, nothing else compares as Skinhead O’Connor once said, Winning the league gives you a free pass in to your favourite, it IS the best league certainly in Europe which means you are the best team in Europe, the CL is for other European clubs to tell us we’re not.

Y  N  W  A
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #28: Jul 08, 2020 10:00:35 am
      it IS the best league certainly in Europe which means you are the best team in Europe, the CL is for other European clubs to tell us we’re not.

Don't agree with that - Leicester weren't the best team in Europe in 2016. United weren't the best team in Europe in 2009 & 2011 (Barcelona, who beat them in the final were)

Winning the Premier League simply means you're the champions of England
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #29: Jul 08, 2020 10:00:50 am
      If I had to choose I'd pick the league title under the current circumstances. That would then give us the opportunity to win our 3rd on the spin the following year and take over United in terms of titles won. Even back to back titles would be great and would shut a lot of the naysayers up who are still desperately scouring for reasons to say that this isn't a truly great side.

The European Cup is the biggest prize for me though. If we end up in a situation in several years time where we've got a few titles under our belt and overtaken United I think the Champions League would go back to the prize which I'm most excited about. Not playing down the league in any way but the European Cup is the #1 for me. It's not uncommon for managers of the biggest sides to lose their jobs if they fail to win the European Cup - even if they win their domestic title, and it's largely the reason Manchester City shelled out on Pep Guardiola. I probably couldn't tell you who won the Spanish, Italian or German title from year X, Y or Z, but I could probably name every European Cup winning side going back 30 or so years. There's a reason for that. The excitement and occasion of a European Cup final is second to none too, something the Premier League can't compete with
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #30: Jul 08, 2020 10:23:14 am
      If I had to choose I'd pick the league title under the current circumstances. That would then give us the opportunity to win our 3rd on the spin the following year and take over United in terms of titles won. Even back to back titles would be great and would shut a lot of the naysayers up who are still desperately scouring for reasons to say that this isn't a truly great side.

The European Cup is the biggest prize for me though. If we end up in a situation in several years time where we've got a few titles under our belt and overtaken United I think the Champions League would go back to the prize which I'm most excited about. Not playing down the league in any way but the European Cup is the #1 for me. It's not uncommon for managers of the biggest sides to lose their jobs if they fail to win the European Cup - even if they win their domestic title, and it's largely the reason Manchester City shelled out on Pep Guardiola. I probably couldn't tell you who won the Spanish, Italian or German title from year X, Y or Z, but I could probably name every European Cup winning side going back 30 or so years. There's a reason for that. The excitement and occasion of a European Cup final is second to none too, something the Premier League can't compete with

Go on then,

CL winners from 2000 to now, and no cheating!
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #31: Jul 08, 2020 10:27:24 am
      Go on then,

CL winners from 2000 to now, and no cheating!

Madrid, Bayern, Madrid, Milan, Porto, Us, Barca, Milan, Utd, Barca, Inter, Barca, Chelsea, Bayern, Madrid, Barca, Madrid, Madrid, Madrid, Us

Can probably give you the runners up too!
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #32: Jul 08, 2020 12:38:43 pm

Mate, not to single you out for any particular Reason, but you are completely wrong, this club, our institution was founded in 1892, 4 years after the start of the Football League, we as a club joined said association to play competitive association football against other members, at that time there was no competition from European clubs, our sole purpose was to win ‘The League’ as it was back then, Obviously as time progressed the league expanded with new members joining year on year,

The European cup/Champions League did not exist, that particular competition began in 1955/6, it was known back then as the European Champion clubs cup, our first sortie into a European competition didn’t arrive until Shanks took us into the UEFA cup in 1965, we were 73 years old by then, the Champions league, Old ‘Big Ears’ May be the biggest club competition there is, but it’s not the reason we became a football club,

Don’t get me wrong I love the CL, we’ve won the f**ker six fookin times with more to follow, but the league is the be all and end all competition, nothing else compares as Skinhead O’Connor once said, Winning the league gives you a free pass in to your favourite, it IS the best league certainly in Europe which means you are the best team in Europe, the CL is for other European clubs to tell us we’re not.

Y  N  W  A

You made some great points  there and I understand them all. Shankly himself said the league is the bread and butter and the one you want to win it. That's totally fair. Me, myself I prefer the champions league because its simply more prestigious. Any of us know how much league titles Milan have ? I definitely don't but we all know how many European cups they have. Same for Bayern, Barca, Ajax etc. We might exist to win the league but the champions league is the most lucrative prize there is.

We aren't fully 'back on our perch' until we're ahead of those mutants on both leagues and european cups I understand also. But for me personally I love the allure of the european cup.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #33: Jul 08, 2020 01:03:52 pm
      The "bread and butter" Shankly quote has been thrown about a lot but I think the context is important. Not sure when he actually said it but I presume it would have been some time between the late 60s & the early 70s. So not long before that, when it was dominated by Madrid for half a decade, the European Cup was an invitation only tournament and English teams didn't even bother taking part because they thought that it would hinder their domestic form. Shankly also had to watch his team fiddled out of the the semi final against Inter Milan 1965, so it's not hard to see why he may not have warmed to the competition and thought of the English title as the be all and end all.

Funnily enough, if you'd have asked Shankly (and a lot of Liverpool supporters) which competition they wanted to win above all at the start of the 1964/1965 season, he, and many others may have said the FA Cup. It was still seen as the most prestigious club competition in the world at the time due to a lot of European competitions being in their infancy and it was a competition we still hadn't won. We finally did win it that season and the celebrations in the city centre were unprecedented, dwarfing any championship parade from that era
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #34: Jul 08, 2020 03:40:28 pm
      I'm a greedy c**t...I always want both!  :D :D

Your right.......... You're a greedy c**t  :lmao:
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #35: Jul 08, 2020 03:46:56 pm
      Madrid, Bayern, Madrid, Milan, Porto, Us, Barca, Milan, Utd, Barca, Inter, Barca, Chelsea, Bayern, Madrid, Barca, Madrid, Madrid, Madrid, Us

Can probably give you the runners up too!

Very good, very impressive
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #36: Jul 08, 2020 04:32:59 pm
      I know Shanks said the League is our bread and butter, and he's still kind of right, but at the same time, the game has moved on from his time, and it has to be said that the Champions League is the most prestigious trophy there is.

Having said that, we've not won it as League Champions for a number of years, so it would be nice to do that.

So CL next year and League 2nd.

But both for preference.

sh*t, I don't know.
      Feeling a bit spoiled with all the trophies over the last 12 months or so ;)
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #37: Jul 08, 2020 04:49:52 pm

Sh*t, I don't know.

Hoping you don't get use to it  ;D
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #38: Jul 08, 2020 05:20:31 pm

Suck it up Keith.

If Klopp does what he wants, and builds a dynasty you'll be watching this for a fair few years.

I'm sure your lot will bounce back at some point.
      Like everything else, football goes in cycles, and it's our turn at the top ;)
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #39: Jul 08, 2020 05:32:33 pm
      Suck it up Keith.

If Klopp does what he wants, and builds a dynasty you'll be watching this for a fair few years.

I'm sure your lot will bounce back at some point.
      Like everything else, football goes in cycles, and it's our turn at the top ;)

;D
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #40: Jul 08, 2020 05:49:06 pm
      You made some great points  there and I understand them all. Shankly himself said the league is the bread and butter and the one you want to win it. That's totally fair. Me, myself I prefer the champions league because its simply more prestigious. Any of us know how much league titles Milan have ? I definitely don't but we all know how many European cups they have. Same for Bayern, Barca, Ajax etc. We might exist to win the league but the champions league is the most lucrative prize there is.

We aren't fully 'back on our perch' until we're ahead of those mutants on both leagues and european cups I understand also. But for me personally I love the allure of the european cup.

The CL may have a certain prestige mate and that’s fine, each to their own and all that , you asked if anybody knew how many titles AC Milan had won, well unless your a serie ‘A’ geek you wouldn’t, same as RM or Barca in La Liga, and how many each of them have won, but we can all hazard a guess of how times each have won the big fella, RM stand at 13, AC Milan 7, then ourselves at 6, Bayern M have 5, and I think Barca 4, the MUtants as you eloquently described them have only 3                         excuse the gap, that was me sniggering, anyhoo mate shall we just agree that winning the Premier league is the best league to win, and the CL is the best Cup to win, there, that’s better, thought you would agree,

Incidentally, I think We are fully back on our ‘Perch’ as we have won more silverware than those nasty MUtants.

Now I’m off, the missus has just brushed her teeth so there’s a good chance I might get rimmed 😂 😂 😂

Have a nice day.

Y  N  W  A

ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #41: Jul 08, 2020 06:34:11 pm

I'm struggling to adapt as I'm overwhelmed by the trophies coming in thick and fast. Another trophy comes in before I've settled down. I can't cope, but there's even more to come. :lmao:
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #42: Jul 08, 2020 07:02:18 pm

The CL may have a certain prestige mate and that’s fine, each to their own and all that , you asked if anybody knew how many titles AC Milan had won, well unless your a serie ‘A’ geek you wouldn’t, same as RM or Barca in La Liga, and how many each of them have won, but we can all hazard a guess of how times each have won the big fella, RM stand at 13, AC Milan 7, then ourselves at 6, Bayern M have 5, and I think Barca 4, the MUtants as you eloquently described them have only 3                         excuse the gap, that was me sniggering, anyhoo mate shall we just agree that winning the Premier league is the best league to win, and the CL is the best Cup to win, there, that’s better, thought you would agree,

Incidentally, I think We are fully back on our ‘Perch’ as we have won more silverware than those nasty MUtants.

Now I’m off, the missus has just brushed her teeth so there’s a good chance I might get rimmed 😂 😂 😂

Have a nice day.

Y  N  W  A

Excuse the gap.                                         Good job I can take it.  :lmao:
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #43: Jul 08, 2020 07:05:59 pm
      I know Shanks said the League is our bread and butter, and he's still kind of right, but at the same time, the game has moved on from his time, and it has to be said that the Champions League is the most prestigious trophy there is.

Having said that, we've not won it as League Champions for a number of years, so it would be nice to do that.

So CL next year and League 2nd.

But both for preference.

sh*t, I don't know.

See normally I'd be going European Cup mate but just for next season if I had to choose one I'd like to see us retain the title.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #44: Jul 08, 2020 07:55:05 pm
      See normally I'd be going European Cup mate but just for next season if I had to choose one I'd like to see us retain the title.

Been thinking about it for a while, and I'm still undecided, although leaning more towards retaining the title.

AND winning the CL  :laugh:
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #45: Jul 08, 2020 07:59:58 pm
      League all day for me. Not only the wait but to have that moment in the stadium, with the fans present, will be something special.

But no reason we can’t do both, last year we won the CL and took the league to the final day. We can do that again I think.

Quick Reply