Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Burnley?

Alisson
      2 (4.2%)
      Neco Williams
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      25 (52.1%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      1 (2.1%)
       Fabinho
      7 (14.6%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      1 (2.1%)
      Curtis Jones
      8 (16.7%)
      Sadio Mane
      1 (2.1%)
      Roberto Firmino
      3 (6.3%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Naby Keïta
      0 (0%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Voting closed: Jul 15, 2020 04:52:10 pm

Liverpool 1-1 Burnley: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 17833 times
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Re: Liverpool 1-1 Burnley: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #276: Jul 12, 2020 11:06:22 am
      No I think you are right and in many respects it is impressive that they are still doing as well as they are, but the major issue at the moment is not application or work rate its the finishing or lack of, that's what is infuriating me.
      By the way if the Liverpool players have switched off a bit then please explain the motivation for the City players, in the league they have absolutely bugger all to play for, yet they are posting impressive performance after impressive performance. They lost to a very good Chelsea performance but against Southampton they were just unlucky, they utterly dominated that game.
      Its the one thing I hugely admire with both the Liverpool team and City team, their desire and hunger to win. Man Utd have also been good since the restart but they have a clear goal in sight so that's different.

I still hold out hope we can finish strong, the Arsenal game is key for me, win that and we'll win the rest.

Think City had 6 or 7 games left after they were crowned champions same as us but continued to get the 100 pts so obviously can be done look we should of won by HT but we were not ruthless enough in front of goal and on the wrong side of a couple of decisions
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #277: Jul 12, 2020 11:33:20 am
      Think City had 6 or 7 games left after they were crowned champions same as us but continued to get the 100 pts so obviously can be done look we should of won by HT but we were not ruthless enough in front of goal and on the wrong side of a couple of decisions

Nail on the head there, we are not ruthless enough, that is a the big difference between us and city. We are both fantastic teams with great team spirit etc but they have that arrogance that the very best teams have, if they are 2-0 up they don't let up, they want 3 then 4 then 5. I remember that well from one of the cup finals last year where they won 6-0 or something and I just thought , wow come on guys go easy on your opponents, you are really humiliating them now, but that's what they do, they smash opponents, its something I really admire about them.
      We are a different beast, more old school in how we control the games a bit better and keep going to the end often nicking that final goal at the last gasp, of the two I'd prefer if we were a bit more like City, but with our superior defence ;-)
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #278: Jul 12, 2020 11:33:48 am
      No I think you are right and in many respects it is impressive that they are still doing as well as they are, but the major issue at the moment is not application or work rate its the finishing or lack of, that's what is infuriating me.
      By the way if the Liverpool players have switched off a bit then please explain the motivation for the City players, in the league they have absolutely bugger all to play for, yet they are posting impressive performance after impressive performance. They lost to a very good Chelsea performance but against Southampton they were just unlucky, they utterly dominated that game.
      Its the one thing I hugely admire with both the Liverpool team and City team, their desire and hunger to win. Man Utd have also been good since the restart but they have a clear goal in sight so that's different.

I still hold out hope we can finish strong, the Arsenal game is key for me, win that and we'll win the rest.

It's really quite simple when you put things in perspective. I don't think there's any argument United & City have been the best teams since lockdown.

You've obviously worked out why United playing well. They have three goals presently. (1) FA Cup. (2) Top four (3) Not much motivation needed when you look at that which wouldn't make it a bad seasons when you consider we've been sh*te and miles behind the top two.

It's actually feasible if City do get suspended from CL football United might take the gas off the league and concentrate on the two cups. You'd probably see Ole dropping some high profile players respectfully. Well I'd like to think so but you know my views on Ole even though he's doing well.

Think you must of forgotten City have CL to play for and in a very good postion to do so, especially the way they're playing. City's holy grail (( presently )) for me is the CL  The players want it badly but more so Pep. I think if you ask Pep if he had a choice Premier league or CL then it's CL every time as he has his own goals which are basically bigger than City in my opinion.

It's been pretty obvious ( to me anyway ) Liverpool players not that bothered about breaking the all time record for most points. The desire and strength  went into winning the Premier League for their fans more than anything to me due to it being 30 years.  It's plain to see their exhausted from that commitment.

You really are being just a bit hard on them because  ( in your words ) I WANT THAT RECORD!
      Not knocking you for it as its your passion as a fan to have that right. I agree the chances of it ever happening again are slim.

If I were you I'd be just very happy that ( this is going to hurt ) your Premier League champions & world champions, not bad for a seasons work mate.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #279: Jul 12, 2020 11:39:50 am
      It's really quite simple when you put things in perspective. I don't think there's any argument United & City have been the best teams since lockdown.

You've obviously worked out why United playing well. They have three goals presently. (1) FA Cup. (2) Top four (3) Not much motivation needed when you look at that which wouldn't make it a bad seasons when you consider we've been sh*te and miles behind the top two.

It's actually feasible if City do get suspended from CL football United might take the gas off the league and concentrate on the two cups. You'd probably see Ole dropping some high profile players respectfully. Well I'd like to think so but you know my views on Ole even though he's doing well.

Think you must of forgotten City have CL to play for and in a very good postion to do so, especially the way they're playing. City's holy grail (( presently )) for me is the CL  The players want it badly but more so Pep. I think if you ask Pep if he had a choice Premier league or CL then it's CL every time as he has his own goals which are basically bigger than City in my opinion.

It's been pretty obvious ( to me anyway ) Liverpool players not that bothered about breaking the all time record for most points. The desire and strength  went into winning the Premier League for their fans more than anything to me due to it being 30 years.  It's plain to see their exhausted from that commitment.

You really are being just a bit hard on them because  ( in your words ) I WANT THAT RECORD!
      Not knocking you for it as its your passion as a fan to have that right. I agree the chances of it ever happening again are slim.

If I were you I'd be just very happy that ( this is going to hurt ) your Premier League champions & world champions, not bad for a seasons work mate.

Oh I know bigger picture its been an incredible season, but I still want those records dammit!!! :-)
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #280: Jul 12, 2020 11:44:53 am
      Oh I know bigger picture its been an incredible season, but I still want those records dammit!!! :-)

I know  ;D Your players do but their mentally shattered based on lockdown results. I think you need July 26th to be today. All that frustration will then go away  :lmao:
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #281: Jul 12, 2020 02:14:29 pm
      I know  ;D Your players do but their mentally shattered based on lockdown results. I think you need July 26th to be today. All that frustration will then go away  :lmao:

Keith, I think your spot on here, we need a total break altogether, no football just rest, records don’t really mean too much, there nice to have but aside from fans from a particular club, no one else gives a sh*t, having said that if a record is there to be had we may as well try for it,

We are miles off our best, we haven’t been since the restart, psychologically I think we are spent, the motivation needed to go for a league title isn’t there anymore,  athletes at this level are conditioned for a close season, the Covid break hasn’t helped at all, normally it would be close season now, so all players should be relaxed somewhere Resting In preparation for pre-season training, not giving their all hoping to create history, same arguments for those clubs still in cup comps,
      How much actual rest will players from those clubs actually get, not a lot or not enough it seems, if it were not for ‘records’ to be broken, I’d be tempted to use a lot more of our kids to finish the season off, and give our players the rest & recuperation they will need, before the next campaign,

In a few years time, no one will remember the 2019/2020 season as the record breaking season, it’ll be remembered as the Covid season and of course Liverpool FC The CHAMPIONS.

Y  N  W  A
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,264 posts | 280 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #282: Jul 12, 2020 06:34:54 pm
      F***ing pissed me off that. Should have buried them but again the anti football lucky brigade came out. F***ing hate Burnley.

Over it now and oh yeah, we’re the champions  ;D :D : :D
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #283: Jul 12, 2020 06:36:22 pm
      F***ing pissed me off that. Should have buried them but again the anti football lucky brigade came out. F***ing hate Burnley.

Over it now and oh yeah, we’re the champions  ;D :D : :D

No one to blame but ourselves. Yes they play crap football but we had about 20 shots and scored 1 goal, simply not good enough from us.
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,264 posts | 280 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #284: Jul 12, 2020 06:40:43 pm
      No one to blame but ourselves. Yes they play crap football but we had about 20 shots and scored 1 goal, simply not good enough from us.

Yeah, you’re right but still annoyed me. At least it hasn’t scuppered going for the record points total eh  ;)
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #285: Jul 12, 2020 06:42:09 pm
      I think there will be a hunger after that performance to win our remaining games and beat the points record.

Someone needs to give Mo new shooting boots too.
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #286: Jul 12, 2020 06:55:21 pm
      Totally disagree with you, he's a forward who plays on the right hand side, he's not a winger in the traditional sense of someone like Willian. I also dispute that he's the best we've had this century, I'd easily put Owen, Torres and Suarez above him. All three were much more instinctive goal scorers, yes they may not have scored as many but then they were not playing in as good teams as Mo is.
      Of the 3 you’ve named there only Suarez is better
      ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #287: Jul 12, 2020 07:17:58 pm
      If only we can reload and reply this match... Now don't save game when you lose or draw the next match. Reload and keep playing till a win is recorded. Take maximum points for the last three games and the record is yours.

An individual's expectations says a lot about his or her approach to life... Will you move on or will you save game?
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #288: Jul 13, 2020 01:03:05 am
      Now I may cop crap for this but I can say it on here as it's how I feel.

I was going to vote Virgil as our MOTM but I couldn't believe he turned his back on that shot just before Rodriguez hit it.  If he hadn't, I IMHO, think he can stick a leg out and block the shot, but because he turned, he didn't actually see where Jay was going to strike it, there was such a big gap for him to aim at. It was like he was scared of being hit and I've never seen that from Virg ever. Stunned me. I'm only saying it because I ripped sh*t through that w**ker Harry Maguire for doing the exact same thing and they don't belong in the same sentence together.

I have never said anything negative about Virg cause I love him to bits but this just bothered me.
      rossyred

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #289: Jul 13, 2020 12:07:02 pm
      Now I may cop crap for this but I can say it on here as it's how I feel.

I was going to vote Virgil as our MOTM but I couldn't believe he turned his back on that shot just before Rodriguez hit it.  If he hadn't, I IMHO, think he can stick a leg out and block the shot, but because he turned, he didn't actually see where Jay was going to strike it, there was such a big gap for him to aim at. It was like he was scared of being hit and I've never seen that from Virg ever. Stunned me. I'm only saying it because I ripped sh*t through that w**ker Harry Maguire for doing the exact same thing and they don't belong in the same sentence together.

I have never said anything negative about Virg cause I love him to bits but this just bothered me.

Spotted that as well was a little slow to get out to him as well dont think he sensed the danger and that he may lay it off
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #290: Jul 13, 2020 12:21:39 pm
      Spotted that as well was a little slow to get out to him as well dont think he sensed the danger and that he may lay it off

I agree, I think that shot took them all by surprise as its not something they see often in training, ie a snapshot at pace when slightly out of position.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #291: Jul 13, 2020 02:45:59 pm
      How can it be that I want these records, but the players don't, can that really be true? We will never be in a better position to post the all time points record for a season, just like we will never be in a better position to win every home game until yesterday's disappointing draw against a Burnley with half the team out injured!

Of course it isn't a conscious thing from the players but once you won it, no matter what you tell yourself and no matter what records might be there to break the intrinsic motivation wont be quite the same. It's just human nature. Having said that, I didn't see a lack of effort, their keeper played a blinder and we're just not quite as sharp as usual. Missing the skipper as well imho.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #292: Jul 13, 2020 03:59:37 pm
      Quote from billythered
      we need a total break altogether, no football just rest, records don’t really mean too much, there nice to have but aside from fans from a particular club, no one else gives a sh*t, having said that if a record is there to be had we may as well try for it,

We are miles off our best, we haven’t been since the restart, psychologically I think we are spent, the motivation needed to go for a league title isn’t there anymore,  athletes at this level are conditioned for a close season, the Covid break hasn’t helped at all, normally it would be close season now, so all players should be relaxed somewhere Resting In preparation for pre-season training, not giving their all hoping to create history, same arguments for those clubs still in cup comps,
      How much actual rest will players from those clubs actually get, not a lot or not enough it seems.

In a few years time, no one will remember the 2019/2020 season as the record breaking season, it’ll be remembered as of course Liverpool FC The CHAMPIONS.                                                                 Y  N  W  A

In normal circumstances, pre-season would now be underway, those not involved in it would be involved in summer tournaments. There's no rest as such.

Professionals don't ease up. We cannot be caught, but there's still several records at stake. And it looks like they will go to the wire. If the players set the new points mark, they will be talked about for the next 100 years. Even Lovren.

I don't think there's been a massive drop off though. In this game, we battered them, should have been 5-0 up by half time, had 23 shots, hit the woodwork, their keeper was motm, the ball just wouldn't go in. One of those days.

Quote from heimdall
      Nail on the head there, we are not ruthless enough, that is a the big difference between us and city. they have that arrogance that the very best teams have, if they are 2-0 up they don't let up, they want 3 then 4 then 5. I remember that well from one of the cup finals last year where they won 6-0 or something and I just thought , wow come on guys go easy on your opponents, you are really humiliating them now, but that's what they do, they smash opponents, its something I really admire about them.
      We are a different beast, more in how we control the games a bit better and keep going to the end often nicking that final goal at the last gasp, of the two I'd prefer if we were a bit more like City ;-)

So you would prefer to have lost 9 (NINE) league games this season. To date. Rather than be League, European, and World Champions.

How we play is classic Germanic pragmatism which is why they are so successful on the world stage. Knowing when to win a game, when to control a game, when to just play it out, and it's done so that we don't lose at least 25% of all our league games.

We've won 60 league games in 2 seasons. We've lost 6 league games in 2.5 years, 0 at home. I would much prefer that.
      Redrew
      • Forum Youth Player

• 21 posts |
      Reply #293: Jul 14, 2020 12:03:29 pm
      Goals from corner kicks have vanished.
      Firmino- a player who apparently can’t do wrong despite zero stats.
      Mo is in selfish mode too often.
      TAA crosses have produced squat.

Allison and Robertson have shined since the reset, Fabs has played well.
      Thought the kids played great last game.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #294: Jul 14, 2020 05:08:14 pm
      Mo is in selfish mode too often.

In fairness he would have had 2 assists in Firmino hadn’t wasted his chance with hitting the post and if Jones hadn’t just leathered his effort wide. Both very good scoring opportunities that I would expect us to be converting, both set up by Salah. Of course that part gets left out though.

Salah’s issue this game wasn’t greed, it was converting the many chances he had.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #295: Jul 15, 2020 01:22:09 pm
      In fairness he would have had 2 assists in Firmino hadn’t wasted his chance with hitting the post and if Jones hadn’t just leathered his effort wide. Both very good scoring opportunities that I would expect us to be converting, both set up by Salah. Of course that part gets left out though.

Salah’s issue this game wasn’t greed, it was converting the many chances he had.

I disagree, Salah is extremely greedy and because of that Sadio thinks F**k you I'm not passing to you either mate! Its a serious problem that Jürgen needs to sort out. You can see it whenever one or the other scores, there is very little joy shared between them. The irony is that if both started passing more to each other both would score more goals.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #296: Jul 15, 2020 01:26:35 pm
      I disagree, Salah is extremely greedy and because of that Sadio thinks f**k you I'm not passing to you either mate! Its a serious problem that Jürgen needs to sort out. You can see it whenever one or the other scores, there is very little joy shared between them. The irony is that if both started passing more to each other both would score more goals.

You disagree that Salah created two massive goal scoring opportunities? Because that’s what my post was saying, nothing to do with the relationship between him and Mane.

FWIW, and I’m not going to go back over old ground, but I’d say Salah creates more chances than what Mane does and Mane is actually the greedier of the two. There’s a reason why Mane only managed 3 assists in the league last season compared to Salah’s 12.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #297: Jul 15, 2020 04:00:02 pm
      You disagree that Salah created two massive goal scoring opportunities? Because that’s what my post was saying, nothing to do with the relationship between him and Mane.

FWIW, and I’m not going to go back over old ground, but I’d say Salah creates more chances than what Mane does and Mane is actually the greedier of the two. There’s a reason why Mane only managed 3 assists in the league last season compared to Salah’s 12.

Hmm, I was actually disagreeing with you saying Salah was not greedy as I suspect you know. As for the assists that's an interesting one, but it could be because the ball tends to be played more to Salah than it does Mane or maybe they are as selfish as each other, in any case its not good for the team, its far to often that both of them shoot when they should pass.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #298: Jul 15, 2020 04:41:15 pm
      Hmm, I was actually disagreeing with you saying Salah was not greedy as I suspect you know.

I wasn’t saying he wasn’t greedy, I was saying that in that game that wasn’t the issue as he created a number of chances for other players, and my point was how that wasn’t getting recognition. He wasted far more of his own chances in that game than the chances he wasted by not passing. There was no point in that game, that I remember where it was clear as day he should have played the ball but went for it on his own instead.

I’m not sure how my post led on to you saying you disagree with it and then talking about the relationship between him and Mane.

Quick Reply