Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

FIFA say Five subs possible for 2020/21

Read 1660 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      FIFA say Five subs possible for 2020/21
      Jul 15, 2020 05:38:46 pm
      Teams will be able to make five substitutions in a match until the end of the 2020-21 season after Fifa chose to extend the use of the rule.

World football's governing body says it is now up to individual leagues and competitions to decide if they wish to continue allowing five substitutions.

The rule can be used until August 2021, meaning the European Championships and Copa America can adopt it next summer.

Fifa said "player welfare" was pivotal in its decision to keep the rule.

"Some competitions which resumed in 2020 may have a shorter-than-usual recovery/preparation period before the start of their next season," Fifa said.

"For many competitions, the 2020-21 season will involve matches being played in a condensed period due to a delayed start and the inability to end later than usual because of major international tournaments."

The decision to increase the number of substitutions allowed in a fixture from three to five was made during the coronavirus shutdown in order to protect players from potential injuries when play resumed.

The Premier League adopted the rule upon its return from a three-month absence on 17 June.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Re: FIFA say Five subs possible for 2020/21
      Reply #1: Jul 15, 2020 06:50:20 pm
      Certainly benefits the cheats ( City ) with the size of their bench.  :f_doh:
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #2: Jul 15, 2020 11:51:04 pm
      Completely against it. Didn't even see the point in them bringing it in for the restart. One of the main reasons the games have felt less like Premier League fixtures and more like exhibitions
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #3: Jul 16, 2020 12:43:42 am
      I'm o.k with it could even make it the 5th sub has to be an u-18/19 player.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #4: Jul 16, 2020 10:18:14 am
      A lot of our goals this season have came late on in the game through sheer determination when teams start to tire out. I think if they have 5 subs at their disposal, there's nothing to really stop teams putting say two fresh fullbacks on in the last half an hour when they're feeling stretched. Obviously it's something that would benefit City with the huge squad at their disposal but I also think it would be a way of helping teams who are struggling to cope with our fitness levels and intensity for the full 90
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #5: Jul 16, 2020 10:27:57 am
      I'm o.k with it could even make it the 5th sub has to be an u-18/19 player.

4th and 5th subs.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #6: Jul 16, 2020 10:39:15 am
      Absolute sh*te this. Along with the drinks breaks, it really needs F***ing off asap.

Hopefully the Premier League doesn't agree to it.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #7: Jul 16, 2020 10:59:50 am
      Absolute sh*te this. Along with the drinks breaks, it really needs f**king off asap.

If it carries on the way it's going matches will end up having about 5 minutes of actual "football" a half. I haven't seen much of an increase in stoppage time since VAR was brought in at the start of the season, and now since the restart, with the 5 subs and stoppages for drinks breaks there's been no notable increase either. Wouldn't surprise me at all if they tried to shoehorn the drinks break in as a permanent fixture to allow for more advertising time.

I'd love to see some sort of graph detailing the average amount of time that the ball is actually in play starting from say the 70s until now, I think the decline would be shocking
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #8: Jul 16, 2020 11:04:49 am
      If it carries on the way it's going matches will end up having about 5 minutes of actual "football" a half. I haven't seen much of an increase in stoppage time since VAR was brought in at the start of the season, and now since the restart, with the 5 subs and stoppages for drinks breaks there's been no notable increase either. Wouldn't surprise me at all if they tried to shoehorn the drinks break in as a permanent fixture to allow for more advertising time.

I'd love to see some sort of graph detailing the average amount of time that the ball is actually in play starting from say the 70s until now, I think the decline would be shocking

Completely agree with you on that.

Clock should be stopped for VAR checks and drinks breaks.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #9: Jul 16, 2020 11:39:59 am
      Absolute sh*te this. Along with the drinks breaks, it really needs f**king off asap.

The problem with the drinks break they probably think we've started with it so now have to finish with it to save embarrassment. Can't see it being there for next year so don't think it will be a issue.

Can't get my head round why they would even consider using 5 subs next year. Unless they have hidden agenda and want City to win the league as that's the only club it favours when you look at their bench.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #10: Jul 16, 2020 03:49:06 pm
      The drinks breaks are killing us recently, yesterday it gave the Arsenal players a lift whilst we took the foot off the gas and against Burnley they got a lift/more energy from the break.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #11: Jul 16, 2020 04:14:07 pm
      The drinks breaks are killing us recently, yesterday it gave the Arsenal players a lift whilst we took the foot off the gas and against Burnley they got a lift/more energy from the break.

No i can't agree and if anything just a coincidence. hopefully won't be with us next year though as not good for the game.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #12: Jul 16, 2020 04:36:16 pm
      The drinks break allows an incontinent old git to have a piss

Quick Reply