Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Arsenal [Community Shield] Sat 29th Aug @ 4:00 pm
      Wembley

Today is the 6th of August and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W6 D2 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Arsenal?

Alisson
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      3 (5.2%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      10 (17.2%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      38 (65.5%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Naby Keïta
      5 (8.6%)
      Takumi Minamino
      0 (0%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      2 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Voting closed: Jul 19, 2020 10:09:33 pm

Arsenal 2-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 3853 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,719 posts | 1491 
      Re: Arsenal 2-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #350: Jul 15, 2020 11:18:29 pm
      Convinced these stupid drink breaks are playing a part; the last 2 games now it has stopped us in our tracks and we've conceded not long after. Plenty of teams who are building momentum are having it broken by the break that really isn't needed.

I hear they are talking about keeping 5 subs into next season. Not for that either, but I am especially against the drinks break for the reason you mentioned. It makes for a totally different game.
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 292 posts | 82 
      • up the reds
      Reply #351: Jul 15, 2020 11:20:41 pm
      I hear they are talking about keeping 5 subs into next season. Not for that either, but I am especially against the drinks break for the reason you mentioned. It makes for a totally different game.
      The 5 subs was passed by Fifa for next season but all individual league will vote on it, can’t see it being passed in the premier league.
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 292 posts | 82 
      • up the reds
      Reply #352: Jul 15, 2020 11:24:09 pm
      Can’t wait to see the team lift it xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      chats
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 23,302 posts | 1040 
      Reply #353: Jul 15, 2020 11:24:28 pm
      We've been complacent the last two games, not outplayed and that's important. Once this season is out of the way I'm sure Klopp will have us back focused on the tasks ahead.

Every great team has an Achilles heel, maybe ours is when the stakes are a bit lower we can't put in big performances regularly. Not the worst Achilles heel to have!
      bigbob75
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 661 posts | 109 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #354: Jul 15, 2020 11:25:34 pm
      Couldn’t give a sh*t but it’s crap losing to sh*te like Arsenal who are piss poor
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,192 posts | 681 
      Reply #355: Jul 15, 2020 11:46:37 pm
      Have to keep reminding myself we are already champs. On the evidence of the last few games its difficult to believe. As chats said, we weren't out played, but to be so complacent, to give away two goals in the fashion we did, and then fail to score more than one with the total domination we had. If the misfiring strikers had a quality striker waiting to replace them, I think we'd see another 10 % from them. Not in effort may be, but in unselfish team play yes. Manes goal was a good team goal, but once we were ahead it seemed to go back to individual efforts. Then following the two defensive mistakes that let Arse go ahead, it was once again, break through the defensive wall. Which we continue to fail to do. Need to get that complacency out of our system once we go ahead. Our lads seem to think once were ahead, other teams give up, but they don't, and we keep getting caught out.
      You may have guessed, i'm f**king fuming !
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,602 posts | 4064 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #356: Jul 15, 2020 11:51:52 pm
      Palace and you'll win 4-0 against the Chavs.

Thanks mate, that’s it! and f**king hope so!
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,485 posts | 2369 
      Reply #357: Jul 15, 2020 11:56:21 pm
      Perhaps to be expected but we have been fairly sh*t since the restart, with the exception of Palace we've been scraping wins.
      Having said that we were damned unlucky not to win today but you can't give away mistakes/goals like we did and expect to win.

I'm actually getting a bit nervous for next season, because I can't see us suddenly going back to our previous dominance, even before lockdown we had some very average performances.

The only positive for me was Minamino who looked good when he came on but can our forwards please do some f**king shooting practice, so many shots straight at the keeper on low power.

We may as well send the team on holiday now, play the kids against chavs and barcodes, perhaps they'll be motivated to win.
      CharlesD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 727 posts | 67 
      Reply #358: Jul 16, 2020 01:21:56 am
      Can't spell Arsenal without arse.
      Redrew
      • Forum Youth Player

• 14 posts |
      Reply #359: Jul 16, 2020 01:43:08 am
      Did Bobby F contribute in his 61 minutes?

(I missed 1st half and didn’t know he was on field in his 16 second half minutes)
      adammac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,094 posts | 117 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #360: Jul 16, 2020 02:40:37 am
      Did Bobby F contribute in his 61 minutes?

Played in Robertson on our goal and hit the post when he block the keepers clearance.

PolarBearRed
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 350 posts | 113 
      Reply #361: Jul 16, 2020 03:40:36 am
      I did not watch the game today, so I don't know if it was the whole team that wasn't up to it or just a few individuals but I assume it was like the past few games where I felt that our intensity and focus only came in spurts during the games. I guess this is some kind of diminution in overall focus and doggedness that is somehow normal after being confirmed champions?

I don't know if it works like that, but one possible positive I can see from losing those games right now is that maybe it's better to lose those games now if it translates into a wake-up call to get back on track and ultimately makes us start next season as hungry as we should be. (Basically just saying that it's better to ultimately know you have a problem because the symptoms are there than to have the problem and not know yet you have one). 

Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,074 posts | 327 
      Reply #362: Jul 16, 2020 04:53:21 am
      Kieta is so much better than Gini and Ox that its blinding. He doesn't just rely on intensity, but pure class. God i hope he can stay healthy and show Klopp he can play week in and week out. The difference is glaring
      adammac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,094 posts | 117 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #363: Jul 16, 2020 05:51:16 am
      I did not watch the game today, so I don't know if it was the whole team that wasn't up to it or just a few individuals but I assume it was like the past few games where I felt that our intensity and focus only came in spurts during the games. I guess this is some kind of diminution in overall focus and doggedness that is somehow normal after being confirmed champions?

We looked very good when we were 1-0 up and just pining the ball around but VvD error kind of gave Arsenal a little lift but after the Alisson error Arsenal just set up shop with everyone playing at the 18 yard box. A lot of huffing and puffing but very little cutting edge.

I do think there is a let down after winning it so early. I know some people here thought the 100 point total would contiune to motivate us for the rest if the season but clearly it isn't the case from what I see. They are looking forward to next Wednesday, lifting the trophy and to celebrate achieving their target goal of winning the league.

LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,003 posts | 1708 
      Reply #364: Jul 16, 2020 08:21:42 am
      Just shows you that in top level football, Jf your concentration levels drop 1% then you’ll get punished, it’s that fine a line.
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,485 posts | 2369 
      Reply #365: Jul 16, 2020 08:33:44 am
      Mentality monsters my arse, no pun intended ;-)

Really quite dissapointed in how we are finishing this season and you could tell Jürgen is as well, but then he only has himself to blame for continuing to play Ox and Gini who the do the sum total of f**k all every game, I can only hope that Keita is still not up to speed and that that is the reason for not playing him more.

For the remaining games lets play players who actually give a f**k, I'd play Keita (if fit), Curtis, Neco(instead of Trent who has been shocking recently), Minamino (for Bobby) and possibly Harvey Elliott instead of Salah who seems to have forgotten how to score goals recently, golden boot, don't make me laugh Mo!!
      Scottbot

• 8,209 posts | 1555 
      Reply #366: Jul 16, 2020 08:59:26 am
      Just haven't had our shooting boots on the last couple of games. 48 shots on goal, 20 on target, scored 2 and only got 1 point. Defensively the opposition have had 4 on target and scored 3.

Sometimes football is a bit like that.

Yes the squad needs a bit of a freshen up (all good squads need churn in the summer) but I wouldn't get in a twist about the last few games.
      Scottbot

• 8,209 posts | 1555 
      Reply #367: Jul 16, 2020 09:00:43 am
      Really quite dissapointed in how we are finishing this season and you could tell Jürgen is as well, but then he only has himself to blame for continuing to play Ox and Gini who the do the sum total of f**k all every game, I can only hope that Keita is still not up to speed and that that is the reason for not playing him more.

I thought Ox played alright last night, he got ahead of the forwards, timed his runs well, few decent crosses and was busy in my opinion.
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,485 posts | 2369 
      Reply #368: Jul 16, 2020 10:57:34 am
      I thought Ox played alright last night, he got ahead of the forwards, timed his runs well, few decent crosses and was busy in my opinion.

I disagree, he gave the ball away a lot and shot straight at the keeper, that's all I recall, which in fairness is more than Gini did, another passenger in the team lately yet guaranteed starter. I honestly would not be unhappy if Gini left as it might force Jürgen to bring more creativity into the team. For example when Shaq came on yesterday there was immediately more drive in the team. When you are playing against a low block you don't need Gini and Fabinho.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,644 posts | 2903 
      Reply #369: Jul 16, 2020 11:57:53 am

Yep, he was OK.
      Not quite "on it" to the same degree as before his injury, but he's getting there.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,719 posts | 1491 
      Reply #370: Jul 16, 2020 03:18:41 pm
      Chris Bascombe had a good tweet about how just more than 10 years ago the club were looking at Administration and struggling for performance, contrasting that to how on Twitter (and the Internet in general), fans were slagging the club and team for various things just a couple of weeks after breaking the 30-year Premier League title drought.

I think I'm guilty of losing the forest for the trees at times in the midst of a match. I love nothing more than the ebb and flow of a well-played football match played by this team. Having the team produce a great performance and secure a result as part of a larger quest has been a particular delight over the past few years with Klopp's emphasis on style and performance, which has brought a nearly-unprecedented flurry of good results.

The fact is when we look back at teams we look back at what they accomplished over the season. This team has accomplished more than almost anyone over a two-year period.

There is a frustration of not getting a result when you know your side is better than the other, but the fact is the mission has been accomplished and then some.

Officially declaring myself unconcerned about the results of the next two matches. Happy for everyone getting to watch the team lift the trophy next week. Otherwise I will look for news about when the next season begins (September 12?), remember that now is about the time we normally would be starting preseason friendlies against the likes of Tranmere.

I'm over the moon with the season and I'm over yesterday.
      « Last Edit: Jul 16, 2020 06:26:57 pm by Robby The Z »
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,830 posts | 80 
      Reply #371: Jul 16, 2020 04:55:11 pm
      Salah was soooo poor. He missed so many opportunities and was sloppy. Wijnaldum brought nothing to the table. Keita was so much more impactful in much fewer minutes. As for Ox, I think he suffered from  needing to link with underperforming Trent and Salah.

Fabinho and Gomez were really really great.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 6,994 posts | 2443 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #372: Jul 16, 2020 05:45:52 pm
      I stand by what I said last night after the game, it was not a knee jerky comment, I seriously believe that these players are spent, they are running on empty, they have absolutely given their all not just this season but last season also, that’s going back to August 2018, four months short of 2 years, or 20 months, do not factor in the COVID break, because the players were still active day to day doing their individual fitness regime’s,

Almost two years of intensive training, two years of routine, two years of total commitment, of hard graft, sheer determination, in any other period of the same length would have seen us collect, (aside from 1 point) two Premier league titles, 1 Champions league title, 1 club World Cup thingy, and a UEFA Super cup, now I dunno about you guys but that’s not to shabby a return is it, for the effort those players, Jürgen , Pep, & Peter, and all the other vital cogs in our machine have put in,

They all, and I mean all need a break, a complete rest & recuperation period for as long as humanly possible, it’s  why I suggested that we as a club finish the season NOW,  f**k Chelsea & Toon, we turn up next week, play the kids , the results matter not a jot, get our f***in trophy, waited long enough for it, then do all the media sh*t and whatever else the f**k out of the way and say ....Sayonara mother fuckers, we’re done, see ya next season, then everyone fucks off like a fart in the wind.

Y  N  W  A
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,644 posts | 2903 
      Reply #373: Jul 16, 2020 06:23:29 pm
      I stand by what I said last night after the game, it was not a knee jerky comment, I seriously believe that these players are spent, they are running on empty, they have absolutely given their all not just this season but last season also, that’s going back to August 2018, four months short of 2 years, or 20 months, do not factor in the COVID break, because the players were still active day to day doing their individual fitness regime’s,

Almost two years of intensive training, two years of routine, two years of total commitment, of hard graft, sheer determination, in any other period of the same length would have seen us collect, (aside from 1 point) two Premier league titles, 1 Champions league title, 1 club World Cup thingy, and a UEFA Super cup, now I dunno about you guys but that’s not to shabby a return is it, for the effort those players, Jürgen , Pep, & Peter, and all the other vital cogs in our machine have put in,

They all, and I mean all need a break, a complete rest & recuperation period for as long as humanly possible, it’s  why I suggested that we as a club finish the season NOW,  f**k Chelsea & Toon, we turn up next week, play the kids , the results matter not a jot, get our f***in trophy, waited long enough for it, then do all the media sh*t and whatever else the f**k out of the way and say ....Sayonara mother fuckers, we’re done, see ya next season, then everyone fucks off like a fart in the wind.

Y  N  W  A

I get where you're coming from, but these lads have literally just spent weeks and weeks in isolation, doing just a bit of fitness training.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 30,900 posts | 4530 
      Reply #374: Jul 16, 2020 08:05:36 pm
      I thought we did well giving Arsenal a bit of a confidence boost before their semi against Man City!!

Quick Reply