Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Arsenal?

Alisson
      0 (0%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      3 (5.2%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      10 (17.2%)
       Fabinho
      0 (0%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      38 (65.5%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Naby Keïta
      5 (8.6%)
      Takumi Minamino
      0 (0%)
      Xherdan Shaqiri
      0 (0%)
      Divock Origi
      2 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Voting closed: Jul 19, 2020 10:09:33 pm

Arsenal 2-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 17885 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Re: Arsenal 2-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #391: Jul 17, 2020 08:52:55 pm
      Not to play head-shrink but it could actually work in our favor next season that our end of season form (at least in results) has seen a dropoff from the rest of the campaign. The players will be motivated to defend anyway, but having taken some lumps in the final few weeks, and no doubt hearting the overreactions of pundits and the snide remarks from competitors that we were a flash in the pan, will help get the team back to sharpness by September.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #392: Jul 17, 2020 09:15:26 pm
      I'm pretty sure we weren't blowing teams away every week.

At various times before the "lockdown", we've looked a bit blowy, on fire, leggy; it's been really up and down, consistent only in that we've found a way to win so many times, particularly when not at our best.

Even in this part-season, we've been on fire at times, and a bit short at others.

The difference, I think, is that we've had absolutely no luck.
      On another day, we put 4 past Burnley, and get a win at Arsenal because we don't make silly mistakes.

The idea that we've strode imperiously, through the league, blowing teams away every week is not true.
      There's been a good few games where we've had a slice of luck.
      Now you could say that we made our own luck by the way we pressured teams, and I wouldn't argue with that, but yeah, we've had some luck along the way, the same as every other team ever to win a title.

I've seen the VVD diagonal throughout the mini-season.
      I've seen players blowing hot and cold throughout the season.
      I've seen more luck for us than bad luck against us (and about f**king time).
      I've seen a team that digs in and grinds out a result when not firing on all cylinders.
      I've seen us create shitloads of chances and fail to finish them in both parts of the season.

I just don't see the players as being any more tired than they have been at various other points.
      I just see a group with a few players who haven't quite hit their stride.

Let's be honest, the lads have slipped a little bit in terms of concentration, and I'm fine with that.

But knackered?
      Not for me, I'm just not seeing it.

Ive taken on board all you have said and fairy muff regarding blowing every f**ker out of the way, perhaps not then, in 38 league matches we’re never going to be perfect but until Watford it was looking like we would go the whole hog unbeaten, and that’s as near perfection your gonna get,

Your spot on regarding our luck, good or bad, and that’s as you know part and parcel of any season, as in response to Heimdall, it could be simply down to the fight being won so early so motivation would be difficult when there is no real goal or target to concentrate on,

It could well be that I like everyone else was so used to us playing at such a high level, dropping to a lesser level construes as players not caring or looking ‘fu**ed’,but something is without doubt amiss, and if it is simply that the lads have less concentration then I’m fine with that too.

Y  N  W  A

redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,101 posts | 125 
      Reply #393: Jul 17, 2020 09:38:57 pm

Ive taken on board all you have said and fairy muff regarding blowing every f**ker out of the way, perhaps not then, in 38 league matches we’re never going to be perfect but until Watford it was looking like we would go the whole hog unbeaten, and that’s as near perfection your gonna get,

Your spot on regarding our luck, good or bad, and that’s as you know part and parcel of any season, as in response to Heimdall, it could be simply down to the fight being won so early so motivation would be difficult when there is no real goal or target to concentrate on,

It could well be that I like everyone else was so used to us playing at such a high level, dropping to a lesser level construes as players not caring or looking ‘fu**ed’,but something is without doubt amiss, and if it is simply that the lads have less concentration then I’m fine with that too.

Y  N  W  A

redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,101 posts | 125 
      Reply #394: Jul 17, 2020 09:49:39 pm
      League is won , but people who should and would be at the games are still watching. JK has standards,as we all have, but we need to keep them
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,457 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #395: Jul 20, 2020 10:26:39 am

At various times before the "lockdown", we've looked a bit blowy, on fire, leggy; it's been really up and down, consistent only in that we've found a way to win so many times, particularly when not at our best.

Even in this part-season, we've been on fire at times, and a bit short at others.

On another day, we put 4 past Burnley, and get a win at Arsenal because we don't make silly mistakes.

The idea that we've strode imperiously, through the league, blowing teams away every week is not true.
      Now you could say that we made our own luck by the way we pressured teams, and I wouldn't argue with that, but yeah, we've had some luck along the way, the same as every other team ever to win a title.

I've seen a team that digs in and grinds out a result when not firing on all cylinders.
      I've seen us create shitloads of chances and fail to finish them in both parts of the season.

I just don't see the players as being any more tired than they have been at various other points.

Let's be honest, the lads have slipped a little bit in terms of concentration, and I'm fine with that.

But knackered?

this.

And we absolutely battered arsenal the other night, they're goals were our defensive mistakes, not through good play. sh1t happens.

Looking forward to Wednesday now.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,457 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #396: Jul 20, 2020 10:28:40 am

Y  N  W  A

they may well be a small lack of concentration now, and who can blame them. won the league the quickest any team ever has, out of every other comp. its basically a big long pre-season now. and lets be honest who cares about pre-season results. ;D
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #397: Jul 20, 2020 10:40:54 am
      To achieve the level of consistently we've had over two years is nothing short of remarkable. Let's be honest, we've been spoilt rotten with the levels of performance and results to go with that. A couple of dodgy performances after winning the first title in 30 years... Well honestly I'm not too bothered. It's not like we've been awful, maybe I'm one of few here but for 30 minutes against Arsenal I thought we played them off the park, I don't think they had a touch in our half.

Whilst I agree with Swab we've had our luck this year, I don't think you achieve what we've done over the last two seasons without the mentality, and very importantly, the concentration, to go with the talent. Not unexpected to see those levels drop now, with the league wrapped up. The two Arsenal goals were a perfect example of that.

As Klopp said, there's no manual for how to play after winning a league title. Nothing will diminish the achievement of this team over the last two seasons, we are rightfully where we are and a couple of lacklustre performances now won't change that.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,868 posts | 1465 
      Reply #398: Jul 21, 2020 05:48:39 pm

But knackered?

We did the more important thing, which is to consistently bag three points, whether we scrapped it or won it ugly or relied on luck.

Thrashing teams is only one of the means to an end. No necessarily the only means to a beautiful end. The league is first a game of points and I don’t mind winning ugly or scrapping it if it means we bag the points.

Quick Reply