Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Liverpool all time XI on BBC Page

Read 4412 times
      LFC PAUL
      • Forum Roger Hunt
      • Started Topic

• 493 posts | 46 
      Liverpool all time XI on BBC Page
      Jul 23, 2020 05:31:09 pm
      Published recently, the most obvious ones of course but no mention of the great Roger Hunt anywhere! Never mind because was included in mine, absolute Liverpool great
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Re: Liverpool all time XI on BBC Page
      Reply #1: Jul 23, 2020 05:34:52 pm
      Published recently, the most obvious ones of course but no mention of the great Roger Hunt anywhere! Never mind because was included in mine, absolute Liverpool great

Possibly because in any Greatest XI one of either King Kenny & Rushie would get ahead of him in the stikers dept.

In my eyes Rushie is our greatest striker.
      LFC PAUL
      • Forum Roger Hunt
      • Started Topic

• 493 posts | 46 
      Reply #2: Jul 23, 2020 05:36:33 pm
      I had him and Hunt up front in mine with Kenny, 4-3-3
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #3: Jul 23, 2020 05:40:00 pm
      I had him and Hunt up front in mine with Kenny, 4-3-3

Fair shout, tbh I'm too young to really remember Hunt, he was one of my dad's heroes along with Peter Thompson
      Isaac!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,572 posts | 325 
      Reply #4: Jul 23, 2020 09:01:28 pm
      What a team! Would Souness and Gerrard work well together when both want to get forward? Barnes behind that front three? At least there would be 120 goals a season.

Here's the link to the referenced page: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51628666
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #5: Jul 24, 2020 04:16:20 pm
      As Jürgen would say, "I am only permitted to select 11 players."

We've had way more greats than that.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #6: Jul 24, 2020 07:00:26 pm
      Decided to only do it based on players I’ve seen and it’s still a tough job. Went with the below in a 4 3 3

Allison
      Trent
      Sami
      VVD
      Robertson
      Stevie
      Alonso
      Hendo
      Salah
      Torres
      Suarez

Picking the front 3 was an impossible job, we’ve really had some great forwards
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #7: Jul 26, 2020 01:04:33 am
      Nah I’m sorry but Suarez never makes our greatest XI
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #8: Jul 26, 2020 06:59:12 am
      This alway gives me a fookin headache, barstewards, after mulling my way through our history I’ve gone for those who I seen play & of the current heroes who I have not, there are too many to mention who miss out but shouldn’t but we can only name X1, some I have chosen are legends, one or two probably regarded as our best, and one or two who in time may become legends, anyhoo, this is what I consider MY best X1.........Oh, it’s ok, I’ve got my tin hat on if you wanna chuck some missiles......

Clemence

Neale.     Hansen.    Virgil.    Robertson

Gerrard.   Sourness.   Barnes

Dalglish.    Rush.   Fowler

Not sure many if any would get past these beauts,  they cover pretty much the 70’s thru to present day, you could make three or four unbelievable teams with the players who we have to leave out, from Tommy Smith, Emlyn, Thommo, Terry Mac, R Kennedy, Carra, Beardsley, Hunt, Cally Aldo, Molby, the list is endless,

I’m stopping now ,f***in head is pounding.

Y  N  W  A
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #9: Jul 26, 2020 11:04:19 am
      There is obviously a distinction to be made between greatest and best, in which case I agree with you on the greatest part, however I think there is a pretty compelling argument for
      him to be in our best XI. He is not a great in the sense that his time with us was shrouded in controversy and he didn’t win any major silverware with us (league cup aside). I would say though that he is the most gifted player I have ever seen in a red shirt and he would undoubtedly make my best XI. The 13/14 season was something quite special. He scored 31 goals in 31 games in the Premier League and some of them were other-worldly.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #10: Jul 26, 2020 12:01:52 pm

Thing is on footballing ability, he walks in easily as he's probably the most natural footballer I've seen pull on a red shirt.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #11: Jul 26, 2020 09:33:19 pm
      Thing is on footballing ability, he walks in easily as he's probably the most natural footballer I've seen pull on a red shirt.

Stevie is on a BBC Podcast and when asked who was the best Liverpool player he has ever played with its Luis.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #12: Jul 26, 2020 11:54:03 pm

Agree with this.  Putting aside his huge flaws, he is/was the best player I ever saw play for us.  2013 him would start over any of our front three now and that's a huge compliment.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #13: Jul 30, 2020 08:41:46 pm
      It was rigged.

Tried putting all Reds in each position but not possible. ;D

F**k the license fee for that !
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #14: Aug 04, 2020 10:32:49 am
      From what I've seen:

Alisson

Alexander Arnold
      Hyypia
      Van Dijk
      Robertson

Alonso
      Gerrard

Salah
      Suarez
      Mane

Torres
      rossyred

• 9,091 posts | 1632 
      Reply #15: Aug 04, 2020 05:28:06 pm
      There is obviously a distinction to be made between greatest and best, in which case I agree with you on the greatest part, however I think there is a pretty compelling argument for
      him to be in our best XI. He is not a great in the sense that his time with us was shrouded in controversy and he didn’t win any major silverware with us (league cup aside). I would say though that he is the most gifted player I have ever seen in a red shirt and he would undoubtedly make my best XI. The 13/14 season was something quite special. He scored 31 goals in 31 games in the Premier League and some of them were other-worldly.

Completely agree in regards to natural talent and ability Suarez something else especially the season mentioned
      Kopite78
      Reply #16: Aug 08, 2020 02:41:37 pm

Agree

Just thought through my favourite forwards in my time and he doesn’t get into the top ten let alone in a team
      rossyred

• 9,091 posts | 1632 
      Reply #17: Aug 08, 2020 04:51:01 pm
      Agree

Just thought through my favourite forwards in my time and he doesn’t get into the top ten let alone in a team

Seriously can you name them I am intrigued to know 10 better forwards than Suarez
      rossyred

• 9,091 posts | 1632 
      Reply #18: Aug 14, 2020 05:50:17 pm
      Agree

Still waiting
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #19: Aug 15, 2020 10:46:29 am

I'll have a go..
      Harry Chambers
      Gordon Hodgson
      Liddell
      Hunt
      Keegan
      Rush
      Dalglish
      Fowler
      Owen
      Salah

So it's not necessarily a given that Suarez gets in. I might have him in but others might not.
      rossyred

• 9,091 posts | 1632 
      Reply #20: Aug 15, 2020 11:02:35 am
      I'll have a go..
      Harry Chambers
      Gordon Hodgson
      Liddell
      Hunt
      Keegan
      Rush
      Dalglish
      Fowler
      Owen
      Salah

So it's not necessarily a given that Suarez gets in. I might have him in but others might not.

Harry Chambers you must be knocking on if you saw him play . Do you really think ability wise that him Hunt and most others better than Suarez
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #21: Aug 15, 2020 11:10:41 am
      Harry Chambers you must be knocking on if you saw him play . Do you really think ability wise that him Hunt and most others better than Suarez

Well the thread is called "All time LFC X1"..and it doesn't have to be on pure footballing ability. One goal is worth one goal. Hunt outscored Suarez. On his day, as I said I might have Suarez in but it's not a shoo in. On individual goals Suarez is up there with the best but we didn't win anything while he was here.

And if you count in Suarez's negativity, there's plenty of reasons to leave him out.
      « Last Edit: Aug 15, 2020 11:18:53 am by Harrisimo »
      rossyred

• 9,091 posts | 1632 
      Reply #22: Aug 15, 2020 11:21:57 am
      Well the thread is called "All time LFC X1"..and it doesn't have to be on pure footballing ability. One goal is worth one goal. Hunt outscored Suarez. On his day, as I said I might have Suarez in but it's not a shoo in. On individual goals Suarez is up there with the best but we didn't win anything while he was here.

I understand what the thread is called and I didnt see "But you need to have won something " . Also if you were asked to name your all time top 10 favourite songs or films would you pick one that you had never heard or seen because it won lots of Oscar's or spent most time at number 1 . Not saying he is a shoe in at all but 10 better strikers based on ability ,goals scored ,creativity nah not having it sorry

Quick Reply