Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Liverpool all time XI on BBC Page

Read 4413 times
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Re: Liverpool all time XI on BBC Page
      Reply #23: Aug 15, 2020 11:39:13 am
      I understand what the thread is called and I didnt see "But you need to have won something " . Also if you were asked to name your all time top 10 favourite songs or films would you pick one that you had never heard or seen because it won lots of Oscar's or spent most time at number 1 . Not saying he is a shoe in at all but 10 better strikers based on ability ,goals scored ,creativity nah not having it sorry

But it's not on whether you actually saw the player play. Yes I might put Suarez in but this is LFC and our history, as you know, is full of great attacking players, who all scored great goals. To put Suarez in is a risk and that risk has to be set against who you leave out. OK I will accept that risk and put Suarez in to that top ten great LFC forwards but that doesn't guarantee him a place in the All Time X1..

Suarez first 2 seasons returned 52 (21)...then his last 2 81(61)...but his last season here was marred by his odd eccentric behavior. He definitely brought the club into disrepute. Some might not have him in because of that and that's a legit reason for not having him in any top 10. So nobody should just rubberstamp Suarez in to that top 10 list. I'll concede and have him in but I could be persuaded to ditch him.

rossyred

• 9,091 posts | 1632 
      Reply #24: Aug 15, 2020 11:47:27 am
      But it's not on whether you actually saw the player play. Yes I might put Suarez in but this is LFC and our history, as you know, is full of great attacking players, who all scored great goals. To put Suarez in is a risk and that risk has to be set against who you leave out. OK I will accept that risk and put Suarez in to that top ten great LFC forwards but that doesn't guarantee him a place in the All Time X1..

Suarez first 2 seasons returned 52 (21)...then his last 2 81(61)...but his last season here was marred by his odd eccentric behavior. He definitely brought the club into disrepute. Some might not have him in because of that and that's a legit reason for not having him in any top 10. So nobody should just rubberstamp Suarez in to that top 10 list. I'll concede and have him in but I could be persuaded to ditch him.

Fair enough again I suppose it depends on what you base your opinions on as well as ability there are other factors as you mention behaviour and conduct etc
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #25: Aug 15, 2020 11:56:38 am
      Fair enough again I suppose it depends on what you base your opinions on as well as ability there are other factors as you mention behaviour and conduct etc

Unfortunately I didn't see Harry play. Bit of a sad story in many ways but Harry Chambers is remembered by many I'm sure.

https://www.lfchistory.net/Players/Player/Profile/572
      rossyred

• 9,091 posts | 1632 
      Reply #26: Aug 15, 2020 12:02:08 pm
      Unfortunately I didn't see Harry play. Bit of a sad story in many ways but Harry Chambers is remembered by many I'm sure.

https://www.lfchistory.net/Players/Player/Profile/572

Yes a good read on player unfamiliar sad as you say what happened how times have changed regarding finances and well being
      Kopite78
      Reply #27: Aug 15, 2020 12:37:50 pm
      Well the thread is called "All time LFC X1"..and it doesn't have to be on pure footballing ability. One goal is worth one goal. Hunt outscored Suarez. On his day, as I said I might have Suarez in but it's not a shoo in. On individual goals Suarez is up there with the best but we didn't win anything while he was here.

And if you count in Suarez's negativity, there's plenty of reasons to leave him out.

There's a slight bridge on points as well

It's all time Liverpool 11 for one

Now I honestly honestly can say in my all time 11 Suarez doesn't get in. No where near

I also said my favourite strikers and he wouldnt get in the top 10 of those

He then said name ten better.
      That's different from favourite
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #28: Aug 15, 2020 01:03:33 pm

Now I honestly honestly can say in my all time 11 Suarez doesn't get in. No where near

Yes we all have our favourite players.In all sports fans have their likes and dislikes obviously but in assessing their contribution to the cause I think we have to set aside any favouritism. In a sense with so much history to draw on it's very difficult to say my picks are better than yours or whatever.

On ability I would put Suarez in the top 10...but only just. Does he get in the all time best X1..again it's down to indivdual choice. Gerrard said Suarez was the best forward he played with. Can't argue with him and although Suarez just scrapes into my top 10 I might pick him for my final all time X1...purely on Gerrards recommendation...but on second thoughts this is my pick...so..er..I'll get back to yer on this one..
      rossyred

• 9,091 posts | 1632 
      Reply #29: Aug 15, 2020 01:35:32 pm

Oh right so it was all time Favourite X1 not best X1 misread that
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #30: Aug 15, 2020 04:09:05 pm
      All time get stuck in X1..

Grobbelaar

Tommy Smith
      Razzor Ruddick