Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

The ultimate treble

Read 2552 times
      delixeCFL
      The ultimate treble
      Jul 23, 2020 07:04:06 pm
      I'm just wondering if anybody else is of the opinion that not enough is being made of the fact we've done something that there's a very good chance nobody else will ever do again.

Champions of England
      Champions of Europe
      Champions of the World

That's some rocking horse sh*t right there and I think it needs to be rubbed in every tw*ts face as regularly as possible, sung about at every match and be generally smug about ad infinitum.

As I said, I can't see anybody else repeating it because that's a lot of stars that have to align, so let's bask in our glory red folk!
      Isaac!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,572 posts | 325 
      Re: The ultimate treble
      Reply #1: Jul 23, 2020 08:38:34 pm
      I don't rub oppo fans' noses in it because I hate it when it's done to us. Besides, this claim is so easily rebuffed. Champions of Europe for only a few more weeks after already being knocked out, Champions of the World can easily be derided as a two game tournament between a financial giant (usually) and any number of teams who have to sell any player with even a trace of talent to Europeans.

I might have something to say in two years though when it's 21-8.
      Isaac!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,572 posts | 325 
      Reply #2: Jul 23, 2020 08:42:20 pm
      I mean it's like the Mancs arguing themselves into an aneurysm that they have more major trophies than us because of the Charity Shield. No you don't, it's a F***ing frisby.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #3: Jul 24, 2020 12:22:59 pm
      Champions of the World can easily be derided as a two game tournament between a financial giant (usually) and any number of teams who have to sell any player with even a trace of talent to Europeans.

An opinion only held in this shithouse of a country, everyone else has been taking the CWC seriously for a while, especially those from South America. And with everything being knocked back cos of covid including the Euros, I can see the 2021 tournament being knocked back to 2023, that's a good two and a half years of us as World Champs!!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #4: Jul 24, 2020 02:45:18 pm
      I'm just wondering if anybody else is of the opinion that not enough is being made of the fact we've done something that there's a very good chance nobody else will ever do again.

Champions of England
      Champions of Europe
      Champions of the World

That's some rocking horse sh*t right there and I think it needs to be rubbed in every tw*ts face as regularly as possible, sung about at every match and be generally smug about ad infinitum.

As I said, I can't see anybody else repeating it because that's a lot of stars that have to align, so let's bask in our glory red folk!

It must have been done before, for example Man Utd.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #5: Jul 24, 2020 02:47:26 pm
      An opinion only held in this shithouse of a country, everyone else has been taking the CWC seriously for a while, especially those from South America. And with everything being knocked back cos of covid including the Euros, I can see the 2021 tournament being knocked back to 2023, that's a good two and a half years of us as World Champs!!

Of course its a bigger deal for other clubs around the world, as all clubs look up the European giants like us, Man Utd, Bayern, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Juventus etc etc
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #6: Jul 24, 2020 02:57:01 pm
      It must have been done before, for example Man Utd.

Done it twice I think - 1999 & 2008.

When they did it in '99 they also won the FA Cup on top
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #7: Jul 24, 2020 03:09:30 pm
      Done it twice I think - 1999 & 2008.

When they did it in '99 they also won the FA Cup on top

That was a hell of a team they had back then in 99, similar to us now in terms of dominance.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #8: Jul 24, 2020 03:30:15 pm
      2008 Utd won the prem & CL, then later that year won the Club World cup, so arguably better than ours as they won prem & CL same season.

They didn't win the Super cup, though  ;D
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #9: Jul 24, 2020 03:32:22 pm

Champions of England
      Champions of Europe
      Champions of the World

Thread title misleading as it was done over 2 seasons, so can't really call it a treble
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #10: Jul 24, 2020 04:12:20 pm
      See I thought this was referring to me in 1986 when I went out on dates with Heather Rennie, Kelly Ott and Martha Rice all in one weekend. It certainly was an ultimate treble for me, even it wasn't THE ultimate treble.

:P
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #11: Jul 24, 2020 04:13:40 pm
      And with everything being knocked back cos of covid including the Euros, I can see the 2021 tournament being knocked back to 2023, that's a good two and a half years of us as World Champs!!

I'd imagine it will be played as it's the last one before the expanded tournament.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #12: Jul 24, 2020 04:28:11 pm
      2008 Utd won the prem & CL, then later that year won the Club World cup, so arguably better than ours as they won prem & CL same season.

They didn't win the Super cup, though  ;D

Personally I don't class the Super Cup & World Cup as major trophies. A proper treble is in the same season as you've pointed out in 1999. 
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #13: Jul 25, 2020 02:44:36 pm
      That was a hell of a team they had back then in 99, similar to us now in terms of dominance.

And they can still visit that European Cup they won in 99 as it's in our museum!!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #14: Jul 25, 2020 02:47:21 pm
      Personally I don't class the Super Cup & World Cup as major trophies. A proper treble is in the same season as you've pointed out in 1999. 

That's why FIFA are changing the competition to get more teams in and try to make it more of a major competition, but again I say look at how the South American teams thatt win it, they celebrate it like it's a major trophy and a big deal.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #15: Jul 25, 2020 02:50:07 pm
      I'd imagine it will be played as it's the last one before the expanded tournament.

The expanded tornament was due to start in the summer of 2021 in China but he Euros will be happening, winter 2021 if it was to happen would probably need approval soon, but highly unlikely. 2022 and all fifa's focus will be on the world cup. If it doesn't happen in 2021 it'll get held off until 2023!
      « Last Edit: Jul 25, 2020 03:35:01 pm by HUYTON RED »
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #16: Jul 25, 2020 07:12:58 pm
      I don't rub oppo fans' noses in it because I hate it when it's done to us. Besides, this claim is so easily rebuffed. Champions of Europe for only a few more weeks after already being knocked out, Champions of the World can easily be derided as a two game tournament between a financial giant (usually) and any number of teams who have to sell any player with even a trace of talent to Europeans.

I might have something to say in two years though when it's 21-8.

f***in hell mate, you ran out of pants to sniff ?

Nothing like deflating our CHAMPIONS Balloon just when our grins have abated , it’s not our fault that our year as Champions league winners has been extended, it’s not our fault FIFA wanted a club world Cup competition, it’s not our fault UEFA’s super cup was there to be contested,

The Fact Jürgen assembled a team capable of competing for aforementioned trophies was indeed a perfect alignment of the stars of which our’s shone the brightest,

It could be argued that that is some sort of minor miracle, you should rub oppo’s fans in it fella, especially those of a Mancunian persuasion, we had our noses well and truly rubbed in it by Keith’s MUtant mates for f***in years, but now the table has turned and it’s our turn to bask in our glory.

Y  N  W  A
      Isaac!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,572 posts | 325 
      Reply #17: Jul 25, 2020 07:38:20 pm
      Haha - no one should ever be deflated. But making weak claims is scoring an own goal, makes it easy for the Mancs to laugh.

Quick Reply