Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Wait! We have another match to play?! - - Sunday 26th July - 16:00 GMT KO

Read 3723 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Wait! We have another match to play?! - - Sunday 26th July - 16:00 GMT KO
      Jul 24, 2020 04:04:50 pm
      The Champions are off to Newcastle for the season finale and if ever a match had anticlimactic written all over it, this is the one. Other words and phrases written all over it would include "What are the best hangover remedies? (insert yours below)" and "Has anyone seen Sadio?" and "Will this be the final Liverpool match for (insert name here)?"

I imagine training today and tomorrow will be a bit of a challenge for players and coaches alike. It would make sense for Klopp to give an opportunity to some of our younger players, notwithstanding his comments about not using Premier League games as Christmas presents or sweets. There is an issue of adding a couple of days to what will be a very short close season for the regulars (understanding they had a 3-month break).

I'll take a stab at a lineup, but this is even more of a guess than usual.

Adrian (Alisson can't win the Golden Glove, so why not give the backup a game?) - could possibly be Kelleher but I doubt it.

Williams, Lovren (last match for us?), Hoever, Milner (last match for us?)

Keita, Ox, Jones

Shaqiri (last match for us?), Minamino, Origi (last match for us?)

Harvey Elliott should feature at some point. Of all the unlikely items above, the least likely are Hoever starting at center back and that midfield as nobody is there to play the holding role. Whatever is lost however, to me, is worth it in not sending out players who are likely to be in less than optimal physical or mental condition. As I say, I literally could be 0 for 11 in correct lineup guesses.

Despite all of this, I'll still be watching because there's nothing I love more than watching this team play football. Champions of Everything you know.

« Last Edit: Jul 24, 2020 07:32:08 pm by Robby The Z »
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Re: Wait! We have another match to play?! - - Sunday 26th July - 16:00 GMT KO
      Reply #1: Jul 24, 2020 04:55:13 pm
      NB: Team no longer available

I would rotate because next season is in one and a half month.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #2: Jul 24, 2020 05:20:57 pm
      NB: Team no longer available

I would rotate because next season is in one and a half month.

A late sub in for Lonergan has crossed my mind, but I would rather Adrian or Kelleher get the nod for the start.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #3: Jul 24, 2020 06:09:56 pm
      I'd quite like to win our last game, perhaps a bit of rotation though.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #4: Jul 24, 2020 06:24:36 pm
      Play a young team, I reckon this one will most likely finish a dull draw, maybe even a loss, going off our post celebration performance last time... and I just have this feeling we’re gonna finish our our league win on 96 points, seems written in the stars.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #5: Jul 24, 2020 07:50:52 pm
      Hope Loneregan gets a game. Be nice to finally see Mo score again too. I believe he's on 19 in the league so far this season, so a goal would take him up to 20 and I *think* (please correct me if I'm wrong) that would make him the first Liverpool player since Roger Hunt in the 60s to score 20 league goals 3 seasons on the bounce.

Double checked the stats for all of our top strikers down the years (Torres, Fowler, Rush etc) and Hunt seems to be the most recent to have achieved the 3 x 20. Something to focus on at least now that the golden boot is all but gone!

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #6: Jul 24, 2020 08:00:13 pm
      Strongest possible line up, no messing about and finish a great season with all 3 points. Not interested in anyone getting a game out of sentiment or anything like that, I want the win and I want us to have a good performance too. End the season finishing game with all 3 points, a few goals and a clean sheet.

Alisson, Trent, Gomez, Virgil, Robbo, Fab, Gini, Keita, Mane, Salah, Bobby.

Alisson has missed enough football this season, rather see him play than go for Adrian or Lonergan. They can play in pre-season.

Not to mention a few of those have been on a run of bad performances now so be good if they can turn it around and wipe the floor with Newcastle like we did Palace.
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #7: Jul 24, 2020 09:26:37 pm
      Give some of the other lads a run out:

Adrian
      Neco Gomez Virgil Robbo
        Jones Fab Keita
      Ox Minamino Origi

I know we have to be professional, seasons not over and we have another game left.
      But we've lifted the trophy.
      I'm already looking to next season, would give some lads another run.
      Don't think Jürgen will though,  think he'll probably only make one or two changes.
      Minamino really needs to up his game to figure next season, too lightweight so far.
      Jones is doing well, as is Neco, they need game time.
      Keita starting to look the real deal at last.
      No matter who we play, expect to beat this lot.
      COY Champions !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #8: Jul 25, 2020 07:24:00 am
      This game is a dead rubber, Toon have F**k all to play for, we have conquered the league, and everyone in it, and we will be playing in a empty stadium in a atmosphere akin to a Scouse appreciation society in Manchester, all of our Champions need as much time off as possible, so I’d send them off with their flip-flops & sombrero’s for a well deserved prolonged period of R & R,

Some of our Champions will of course have to do the honours and represent our fantastic institution and perform in the final game of this historic campaign, so I’d play a team adorned with kids and those who will be seeking pastures new,  something like this.......

Adrian
                                                   Williams    Hoever.  Lovren.  Lewis
                                                                      Lallana
                                                        Shaqiri .               Jones
                                                     Elliot.         Hardy          Origi

The score doesn’t matter too much, but I’d be inclined to inform those young lads to play with freedom, enjoy it, you have nothing to lose, as for those saying goodbye, play with your hearts,  this is your very last time playing in Liverpool Red, thank you for all you have given to LFC, you are part of our history and we are forever grateful for you contribution & service, you are a credit to your profession, whatever you do or wherever you go you will forever have this club in your heart, good luck & all the best.  You’ll Never Walk Alone.

Y  N  W  A

higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,264 posts | 796 
      Reply #9: Jul 25, 2020 08:57:22 am

Double checked the stats for all of our top strikers down the years (Torres, Fowler, Rush etc) and Hunt seems to be the most recent to have achieved the 3 x 20. Something to focus on at least now that the golden boot is all but gone!

Aye that's bang on. Tyler or Carra mentioned it the other night during the game.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #10: Jul 25, 2020 09:48:04 am
      Judging by instagram etc a lot of the kids are on holiday etc so looks like it will be a squad made of the usual suspects with the odd change
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #11: Jul 25, 2020 10:47:32 am
      Cant see any of the guys leaving starting, dont want any unnecessary injuries messing they're moves up.
      Id be more inclined to start strong again, and give the 5 subs the last 30mins.
      jimbo1962
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 867 posts | 101 
      Reply #12: Jul 25, 2020 11:44:43 am
      its probably been pointed out but is it good to finish our winning season with 96 points ?
      jimbo1962
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 867 posts | 101 
      Reply #13: Jul 25, 2020 11:50:18 am
      and another little observation
      City currently have 78 points and we had 79 points at the start of March so did we win it then ?
      though they ll probably get at least another one tomorow
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #14: Jul 25, 2020 12:16:19 pm
      Will we playing in the 20/21 kit tomorrow as per custom?
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #15: Jul 25, 2020 12:47:12 pm
      Will we playing in the 20/21 kit tomorrow as per custom?

No
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #16: Jul 25, 2020 01:47:06 pm
      Aye that's bang on. Tyler or Carra mentioned it the other night during the game.

Heard somebody mention it on the Anfield Wrap but they didn't say who last did it

Some achievement when you think about all the strikers we've had down the years. Even Ian Rush didn't manage it in a 42 game season!

Think Fowler or Torres would have probably managed it if they weren't plagued with injuries like
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #17: Jul 25, 2020 03:37:40 pm
      8-0 to Newcastle.

Our lot will still be partying in the changies at half-time!!

:laugh:
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #18: Jul 25, 2020 03:55:04 pm
      Not sure why they’d play Lovren if he’s off to Zenit. No use risking an injury that puts a transfer in jeopardy.

I actually expect Klopp to pick a strong team with maybe full use of the subs to get the younger players some time.
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #19: Jul 25, 2020 07:49:28 pm
      I actually expect Klopp to pick a strong team with maybe full use of the subs to get the younger players some time.

What’s a strong team? I thought every player on this team is strong? ;D
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,101 posts | 125 
      Reply #20: Jul 25, 2020 09:34:52 pm
      I know it does not mean any thing to some, but I want us to win this.  Put the young uns on by all means, but not en-block, introduce them, to play with the first team, or just start with them, but we saw what happened with Aston Villa
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #21: Jul 25, 2020 11:28:49 pm
      Think we should see the season out in style, strong side, beat Newcastle, 4  0 on their own ground !
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #22: Jul 26, 2020 01:02:16 am
      I’d never want us to lose but there’s something about winning the league after 30 years with 96 points.

Maybe some things are just meant to be.

Quick Reply