Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Game of the Season - 2019/20

Read 5394 times
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Game of the Season - 2019/20
      Jul 27, 2020 10:28:39 am
      Now that the 19/20 campaign has finally came to and end, what would be your personal game of the season (over all comps) ? Not necessarily the best performance, or the biggest margin of win, but the game / result which you enjoyed more than the rest.

Been thinking about it and it's quite a tricky one. Obviously we won the league, but due to the huge gap which opened up between ourselves and City there wasn't really an all important game which you could say clinched us the title. Looking back I'd probably say the late 1-2 win against Aston Villa would probably be my favourite. The season was still sort of in it's infancy at that point and I think most of us still would have expected a title race of some sorts, so managing to win the game after finding ourselves a goal down with 88 minutes on the clock was pretty special. I thought those specific 3 points would have been a lot more important than they were in the end, so my celebrations at the time certainly reflected that. Was also probably the moment where I realized that these lads were going to give every single inch out there to try and win us the title

Special mention for the Arsenal 5-5 / penalty win in the League Cup too. Certainly the best game of the season from a purely entertainment point of view. Took my girlfriend & her little brother to this one too for their first game, so that's certainly a special one.

The Leicester 0-4 and the United 2-0 were great as well, certainly the former from a performance point of view, but as I said, I was pretty much confident that the league was ours at the time of those games, so they probably weren't as big emotionally as that Villa game earlier on in the season.
      « Last Edit: Jul 27, 2020 10:34:02 am by JD »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Re: Game of the Season
      Reply #1: Jul 27, 2020 10:33:20 am
      Looking back I'd probably say the late 1-2 win against Aston Villa would probably be my favourite. The season was still sort of in it's infancy at that point and I think most of us still would have expected a title race of some sorts, so managing to win the game after finding ourselves a goal down with 88 minutes on the clock was pretty special.

I think that was a hugely significant moment as well.  Especially with Man City the next game after it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdFKNBzQ_Ic

Leicester 4-0 would probably be my second shout.  That was a total annihilation - especially after coming back from Qatar.  We were eons ahead of the 2nd place team in the league at their ground.  They didn't have a shot on target - didn't look like they were in the same league as us.  We were always winning the title after that.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Re: Game of the Season
      Reply #2: Jul 27, 2020 10:42:37 am
      I think that was a hugely significant moment as well.  Especially with Man City the next game after it.

I think that was when Pep came out completely unprovoked and called Mane a diver. We were playing the same time as them and he'd just found out what happened in our game before he did his post-match, could tell he was absolutely seething that we'd turned it around haha. Must have been a massive blow for them psychologically
      Heighway Patrol
      • Forum Youth Player

• 12 posts |
      Re: Game of the Season - 2019/20
      Reply #3: Jul 27, 2020 11:03:24 am
      Boxing Day win against Leicester City for me.
      Davbro
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 98 posts | 22 
      Reply #4: Jul 27, 2020 11:04:11 am
      The Leicester game for me was my favourite as it just shown the difference in class. I actually loved the last Chavski game also for entertainment purposes, and of course it's nice to watch a game stress free.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #5: Jul 27, 2020 01:49:14 pm
      Man Utd - Liverpool 1-1 draw. We kept our undefeated record intact and did not give them the pleasure to say it.

Jd's choice is important too for the moral of our team at that time.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #6: Jul 27, 2020 02:07:53 pm
      Man City home, with Fabinho's laser and Pep going mental I'm the technical area.

Close 2nd, United at home with fans no longer holding back from singing about winning the league after the Alisson-Mo late game special.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #7: Jul 27, 2020 02:10:58 pm
      Man Utd - Liverpool 1-1 draw. We kept our undefeated record intact and did not give them the pleasure to say it..

So your favourite game of the whole season was the one league game in almost a full calendar year we didn't manage to win ?? 😂😂
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #8: Jul 27, 2020 02:15:21 pm
      Liverpool FC (u18's) vs Everton.... just because.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN7hhCIo5UY
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      Reply #9: Jul 27, 2020 02:15:43 pm
      So your favourite game of the whole season was the one league game in almost a full calendar year we didn't manage to win ?? 😂😂

Yes, because it meant so much for us and did not want them to take it from us. Thanks Lallana :D
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #10: Jul 27, 2020 02:22:40 pm
      Yes, because it meant so much for us and did not want them to take it from us. Thanks Lallana :D

Strange choice! I was gutted that we drew more than anything - could have beaten City's 18 game winning streak if we'd have won - Plus Utd's goal shouldn't have stood so I was annoyed at that too. Think that was the only league game from mid-March 2019 to mid-Feb 2020 where I was a bit pissed off at FT ;D
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #11: Jul 27, 2020 02:24:33 pm
      For me the Leicester game was a display of total dominance and superiority. The complete performance, and away from home to, at the time, to one of our rivals for the title.
      I think that game made us believe we were just so much better than everyone else, and was the mental battering that contributed to Leicesters demise in the title race.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #12: Jul 27, 2020 03:06:11 pm
      The hammering we gave Leicester. By far our best performance of the season IMO and it was against a team that was supposedly going to push us all the way. Think they’ve only picked up 23 points since that defeat, we completely destroyed them on the pitch and set off the run to them throwing away Champions League football next season.

Lots of important games like the beating of City, the late equaliser vs the Mancs, the late win vs Villa after being a goal down and even the 1-0 win vs Sheff Utd when Henderson made a mess of Gini’s shot.
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      Reply #13: Jul 27, 2020 03:17:22 pm
      Strange choice! I was gutted that we drew more than anything - could have beaten City's 18 game winning streak if we'd have won - Plus Utd's goal shouldn't have stood so I was annoyed at that too. Think that was the only league game from mid-March 2019 to mid-Feb 2020 where I was a bit pissed off at FT ;D

I am a half full type of guy so I looked at it differently.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #14: Jul 27, 2020 03:50:35 pm
      West Ham at home was a good one as well. Another Villa type game but not quite as dramatic. Watched it in an Irish pub in Berlin and proceeded to get absolutely smashed.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #15: Jul 27, 2020 04:16:08 pm
      Everton at home, genuinely almost had steam coming out of my ears when I saw the team, shouldn't have worried, Leicester away and Sheffield United at home
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #16: Jul 27, 2020 04:18:31 pm
      West Ham at home was a good one as well. Another Villa type game but not quite as dramatic. Watched it in an Irish pub in Berlin and proceeded to get absolutely smashed.

Was at that West Ham game, think it was the last league match we played before the infamous 3-0 at Watford. Should have been a great atmosphere considering we'd come back to win it with two late-ish goals but it was weird one as nobody seemed too phased by it all. it was like everyone was just fully accustomed to winning at that point. Even when we went behind there didn't seem to be as many moaners as usual, people were just convinced we'd get the job done in the end :lmao:
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #17: Jul 27, 2020 04:20:23 pm
      Everton at home, genuinely almost had steam coming out of my ears when I saw the team, shouldn't have worried, Leicester away and Sheffield United at home

Imagine what score that Everton one would have ended up if we put our first 11 out
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,757 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #18: Jul 27, 2020 04:47:32 pm
      I would pick the 2-1 win over Leicester City only for the fact I was there to watch it in person :D
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #19: Jul 27, 2020 06:05:48 pm
      Leicester - it was supposed to be a tough game :laugh:
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #20: Jul 27, 2020 07:09:05 pm
      Smashing city was amazing again, felt so good, I was absolutely buzzing after
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #21: Jul 27, 2020 08:10:27 pm
      Favourite game in all competitions was when becoming World Champions. Sadly, the achievement didn't get the recognition it deserves, but I always wanted us to win it, now we have it and it still feels fantastic. I don't know how long it will last, but hopefully it will be a while longer than winning the League Cup, the competition some were telling us to prioritise instead, at the time. In our absence, someone less successful than ourselves won it. Never has so much money being spent on a team just to win the League Cup.

In the league, probably the most important win of the season was v Wolves at home. It was an awful performance where the team hit the wall after the recent excursions and exertions, and we were seriously tested despite having an extra 24 hours rest. And under the old ref system, we would have lost our unbeaten home record. Under VAR, the camera could not be conned so justice was done on the spot, turning around a certain loss into a 1-0 win, 50 home league games unbeaten, and a 14 point lead going into the new year.
      shawspeed
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 561 posts | 128 
      Reply #22: Jul 27, 2020 09:58:34 pm
      Got to be Leicester,  they were all up for challenging for a top position and we gave them a footballing lesson big time. It was like watching the First Team vs the U16s (or not in Evertons case).

Quick Reply