Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Liverpool Squad for 2020-21 Season

Read 18451 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Liverpool Squad for 2020-21 Season
      Jul 28, 2020 06:21:13 pm
      Just two weeks before pre-season training begins, which apparently will put us behind some clubs, especially those still in the Champions League who, I guess, get no break at all.

Chris Bascombe has an article saying we won't be doing this training at the new Kirkby facility, but will remain at Melwood at least for the preseason due to construction delays re CoVid. Not sure when that transition will actually take place.

Our squad will lose two senior English players (Lallana and Clyne) and at least one senior foreign player (Lovren). It has been said Neco Williams is Clyne's replacement and Curtis Jones is Lallana's.

That leaves us with the following heading into preseason

Goalkeeper
      Alisson
      Adrian
      Karius
      Grabara
      Kelleher

Center Back
      Virgil
      Gomez
      Matip
      Hoever
      Van den Berg

Right Back
      Trent
      Williams

Left Back
      Robertson

Central Midfield
      Fabinho
      Wijnaldum
      Henderson
      Keita
      Oxlaide-Chamberlin
      Milner
      Jones
      Grujic

Forward
      Firmino
      Salah
      Mane
      Origi
      Minamino
      Shaqiri
      Oxlaide-Chamberlin
      Brewster
      Wilson
      Elliott

Are we confident this remains a Premier League-winning squad?

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Re: Liverpool Squad for 2020-21 Season
      Reply #1: Jul 28, 2020 06:39:32 pm
      Just two weeks before pre-season training begins, which apparently will put us behind some clubs, especially those still in the Champions League who, I guess, get no break at all.

Chris Bascombe has an article saying we won't be doing this training at the new Kirkby facility, but will remain at Melwood at least for the preseason due to construction delays re CoVid. Not sure when that transition will actually take place.

Our squad will lose two senior English players (Lallana and Clyne) and at least one senior foreign player (Lovren). It has been said Neco Williams is Clyne's replacement and Curtis Jones is Lallana's.

Goalkeeper
      Alisson
      Adrian
      Karius
      Grabara
      Kelleher

Center Back
      Virgil
      Gomez
      Matip
      Hoever
      Van den Berg

Right Back
      Trent
      Williams

Left Back
      Robertson

Central Midfield
      Fabinho
      Wijnaldum
      Henderson
      Keita
      Oxlaide-Chamberlin
      Milner
      Jones
      Grujic

Forward

Firmino
      Salah
      Mane
      Origi
      Minamino
      Shaqiri
      Oxlaide-Chamberlin
      Brewster
      Wilson
      Elliott

Maximum squad size is 25 for the Premier League, so that needs whittling down some.
      We'll see a few of the young loads go out on loan.

I'd prefer to keep Brewster here.

Can't imagine that Hoever and Van Den Berg are ready for the prem yet.

Grujic should either be forcing his way in, or on his way out at 24, but I guess pre-season will sort that.

I'd guess Allison and Adrian will be our 2 main 'keepers (in the 25).

Overall, there's room for players to come in, and looking at the list it's CB that needs backup, unless Fabinho fills in, but I don't really see that as a long term option, although that depends on how the young lads are coming along.

Strong enough to challenge and win, maybe not strong enough to get 99 points again .
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #2: Jul 28, 2020 07:15:03 pm
      We need a proper back up for Robbo, Milner is fine short term but he’s another season older and another season slower, it’s the only position we’re light, yes Gomez too can fill in but that would upset the balance, and considerably weaken central defence,  we need a proper LB not a stand in, I was disappointed with Larouci, his attitude is all wrong, so who ever is bending his ear needs a poke in the eye,

This could be a breakthrough season for Hoever, with Lovren now @ Zenit, a opening has arisen for him to push Matip & Gomez, can’t see him shifting Joe but it’s possible he could compete with Joel and force his hand, but he needs to work like a Trojan @ Kirby and give Jürgen food for thought,

Another position I feel we need to address is in midfield, we could do with a creative clever player that can unleash havoc in the final third, it’s abundantly clear that won’t be Coutinho, but could a Grealish, or  Maddison be that player ?
      I think Jürgen will change / alter things slightly next season, teams are figuring out how to counter us , aka Watford, so perhaps Jürgen wants to try a different but equally difficult to style to play against,

Could we see more of Jones & Elliot and do no transfer business at all ?

I guess we’ll all find out soon enough.

Y  N  W  A

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #3: Jul 28, 2020 10:43:41 pm
      Maximum squad size is 25 for the Premier League, so that needs whittling down some.
      We'll see a few of the young loads go out on loan.

I'd prefer to keep Brewster here.

Can't imagine that Hoever and Van Den Berg are ready for the prem yet.

Grujic should either be forcing his way in, or on his way out at 24, but I guess pre-season will sort that.

I'd guess Allison and Adrian will be our 2 main 'keepers (in the 25).

Overall, there's room for players to come in, and looking at the list it's CB that needs backup, unless Fabinho fills in, but I don't really see that as a long term option, although that depends on how the young lads are coming along.

Strong enough to challenge and win, maybe not strong enough to get 99 points again .

Not sure if  Hoever and Van den Berg count against the squad limit due to their age. Same with Harvey Elliott and Caiomin Kelleher. That would take it down to 27 if correct. It does indeed seem central defense is the most likely area in which to add.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #4: Jul 29, 2020 08:59:38 am
      Not sure if  Hoever and Van den Berg count against the squad limit due to their age. Same with Harvey Elliott and Caiomin Kelleher. That would take it down to 27 if correct. It does indeed seem central defense is the most likely area in which to add.

I believe if you're aged 20 or younger on 01/01/2020 you should be able to play in the coming season without being registered. So Hoever, Van Den Berg & Elliot should be sound (Brewster & Jones too). Kelleher was 21 in November so he would take up a place

...This is all according to the registration rules Football Manager though, so I could be wrong! ;D
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #5: Jul 29, 2020 09:43:04 am

Goalkeeper
      Alisson
      Adrian
      Karius
      Grabara
      Kelleher

Center Back
      Virgil
      Gomez
      Matip
      Hoever
      Van den Berg

Right Back
      Trent
      Williams

Left Back
      Robertson

Central Midfield
      Fabinho
      Wijnaldum
      Henderson
      Keita
      Oxlaide-Chamberlin
      Milner
      Jones
      Grujic

Forward
      Firmino
      Salah
      Mane
      Origi
      Minamino
      Shaqiri
      Oxlaide-Chamberlin
      Brewster
      Wilson
      Elliott

I think Karius, Grujic, Wilson and Shaq will be sold over the next few weeks.

We definitely need CB and LB cover.

I would like us to bring in a wide player with pace also.

After that we are good to go again.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #6: Jul 29, 2020 10:00:45 am
      I suspect Williams will be the cover for Left and RB this season - can’t see the club spending money on another LB

We know that Klopp likes a small squad and is more than happy to manipulate and mix around the squad.

I can really only seeing maybe one or two arrivals depending on the situation with Gini , Shaqiri and Origi

Wilson and Grujic can really only be sold on now
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #7: Jul 29, 2020 10:03:39 am
      Shame Bournemouth have wen't down really as they'd have probably given us a king's ransom for Wilson going off what they paid for Ibe and Solanke
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #8: Jul 29, 2020 10:11:08 am
      CB and LB stick out as must improve areas.

After that it should be an attacker. Still maintain the drop off from our front three to our backup is just far too great and I'd be happy to move on Origi, Shaqiri and Wilson to make room for one.

I see some of the 'ITKs' are still banging on about Thiago as well. Whilst I think he would add something new to our midfield, I just don't see the room for him unless Gini leaves.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #9: Jul 29, 2020 01:57:29 pm
      Shame Bournemouth have wen't down really as they'd have probably given us a king's ransom for Wilson going off what they paid for Ibe and Solanke

Or they might be loathe to pay us much for him given what has transpired with those two (although Solanke did score a couple of goals after the restart, finally).

Don't be too surprised if Klopp doesn't decide to keep Marko Grujic around.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #10: Jul 29, 2020 02:32:06 pm
      If Swansea come up I'd like to keep Brewster there. I want that kid get a lot of time in the EPL before he comes to us. Kids got the factor. 
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #11: Jul 29, 2020 03:42:33 pm

So you're saying that Lallana and Lovren contributed so much that we can't repeat the 99?
      deneb
      • Forum Youth Player

• 19 posts |
      Reply #12: Jul 29, 2020 08:47:32 pm
      Difficult to improve on our best 11 without spending a fair chunk, but in terms of improving the squad:

Adrian is perhaps not a perfect option, but I'm fine with him for next season. He only played as much as he did because of a freak injury to Alisson, no reason to think that'll happen again.

I'd be concerned about going into a new season with just VVD, Gomez and Matip. I'm reluctant to think Phillips will make it here and probably too soon for VDB.

With Larouci leaving I'd like to see a proper LB backup. Either Jamal Lewis at Norwich or Lloyd Kelly at would fit the bill at a reasonable price. Kelly can also play CB.

The other obvious CB option is Ben White who we've been linked to a lot.

Between Hendo, Fab, Keita, Gini, Jones Ox and Milner we have enough bodies, so while I wouldn't mind seeing Thiago in a Liverpool shirt, I'm doubting we do any business here.

Minamino, Origi, Elliott, Shaqiri, Wilson maybe Brewster? There's definite room for improvement here. Perhaps with sales of Shaqiri, Origi and Wilson we could raise enough funds to bring in a better fit player.

Overall I'm not really expecting much in arrivals. Not too concerned. Keita and Minamino are both capable of adding more meaningful contributions.

Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #13: Jul 29, 2020 10:03:25 pm
      Given Matip’s dreadful injury record And the sale of Lovren I’d say that now puts centre-half depth somewhere near the top of the list. However is a bright prospect, he’s silky smooth on the ball But he’s still very young and at least a season awAy from being physically ready imho. I’d expect an experienced CB to come in, think Klavan but better than Klavan.

Next for me would be another wide Forward. We’ve been fortunate that neither Mo nor Mane has suffered any serious injuries but take one of them out for 3 months and we’ll feel the effects.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #14: Jul 30, 2020 12:02:23 pm

Goalkeeper
      Alisson
      Adrian
      Karius
      Grabara
      Kelleher

Center Back
      Virgil
      Gomez
      Matip
      Hoever
      Van den Berg

Right Back
      Trent
      Williams

Left Back
      Robertson

Central Midfield
      Fabinho
      Wijnaldum
      Henderson
      Keita
      Oxlaide-Chamberlin
      Milner
      Jones
      Grujic

Forward
      Firmino
      Salah
      Mane
      Origi
      Minamino
      Shaqiri
      Oxlaide-Chamberlin
      Brewster
      Wilson
      Elliott

I can see us adding a CB & LB, probably guys in early 20s, cheapish pure off the radar buys.

The great thing for me going into next season is taki & naby lad, have now settled in, if they keep fit, our attacking MF looks much stronger especially with the ox having been fit now for most of 2020 too. The newcastle showed how we can play without the main men up front.

All the young guys coming through like williams, elliott & Jones are pushing for more games.

1st 11-14 players are pretty much solid and still hungry.

Its all good.

In a perfect world we would spend on 1 big name, dont know who or what position, we have already freed up lots of wages and got 10mill for lovren.

Going to be an interesting transfer window anyway.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #15: Jul 30, 2020 12:03:44 pm
      ps. I think brewster would be best given another loan, playing every week at a good level, rather than being super sub for us.

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #16: Jul 30, 2020 12:17:53 pm
      Jones no doubt takes Lallana's minutes squad wise, but reckon the club needs to look at a player that can play CB/LB.

Lallana out.
      Clyne out.
      Lovren out.

Surely there is an opportunity to sign one top player,
      but Aki to City for 41M is going to skew the market when there should be bargains out there due to COVID.

It will be interesting to see what deals are out there despite City and Chelsea.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #17: Jul 30, 2020 12:39:49 pm
      Jones no doubt takes Lallana's minutes squad wise, but reckon the club needs to look at a player that can play CB/LB.

Lallana out.
      Clyne out.
      Lovren out.

Surely there is an opportunity to sign one top player,
      but Aki to City for 41M is going to skew the market when there should be bargains out there due to COVID.

It will be interesting to see what deals are out there despite City and Chelsea.

Gotta be Alaba for me, he can literally fill the CM role too, so would also be a successor to Milner once he moves on from the club too.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #18: Jul 30, 2020 01:16:39 pm
      Gotta be Alaba for me, he can literally fill the CM role too, so would also be a successor to Milner once he moves on from the club too.

He can cover everywhere but his wage demands are astronomical. Apparently he won't sign a new deal for Bayern unless he gets 20m a year.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #19: Jul 30, 2020 01:44:52 pm
      So you're saying that Lallana and Lovren contributed so much that we can't repeat the 99?

No.

Don't be a tit.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #20: Jul 30, 2020 01:47:15 pm

Not in that sense.

I think we will challenge again if no one of the big boys are sold.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #21: Jul 30, 2020 03:44:38 pm
      I can see us adding a CB & LB, probably guys in early 20s, cheapish pure off the radar buys.

The great thing for me going into next season is taki & naby lad, have now settled in, if they keep fit, our attacking MF looks much stronger especially with the ox having been fit now for most of 2020 too. The newcastle showed how we can play without the main men up front.

All the young guys coming through like williams, elliott & Jones are pushing for more games.

1st 11-14 players are pretty much solid and still hungry.

Its all good.

In a perfect world we would spend on 1 big name, dont know who or what position, we have already freed up lots of wages and got 10mill for lovren.

Going to be an interesting transfer window anyway.

My only pushback on this is regarding Minamino. I haven't seen it yet from him. Not saying he won't come good but even in a 3/4k-paced match vs. Newcastle I thought his final product was fairly ordinary. He was a low-cost purchase and Jürgen and Co. will continue their work in developing him, but so far he hasn't gotten there.

Naby has shown much more, when able to stay fit.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #22: Jul 30, 2020 03:45:57 pm
      Not in that sense.

I think we will challenge again if no one of the big boys are sold.

I said we'll challenge.

I also said I don't think we'll get 99 points again.

We're still capable of getting over 90, but other teams are going to be stronger next year., so it stands to reason we probably won't get as many points.

In fact, I think between 90 and 95 points will win the league next season.

Quick Reply