Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Liverpool Squad for 2020-21 Season

Read 18465 times
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,868 posts | 1465 
      Re: Liverpool Squad for 2020-21 Season
      Reply #23: Jul 30, 2020 04:22:39 pm
      I said we'll challenge.

I also said I don't think we'll get 99 points again.

We're still capable of getting over 90, but other teams are going to be stronger next year., so it stands to reason we probably won't get as many points.

In fact, I think between 90 and 95 points will win the league next season.

;D Reasons to be optimistic. Means we’ll win it. 

But it’s so many points. Surely we can’t expect ourselves to be blowing teams away for points in every game. Some will be easy, while others difficult. Just pick up points. That’s the reality.  I don’t care how it’s done. VAR or whatever... Blowing teams away is a bonus for me.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #24: Jul 30, 2020 04:34:40 pm

But it’s so many points. Surely we can’t expect ourselves to be blowing teams away for points in every game. Some will be easy, while others difficult. Just pick up points. That’s the reality.  I don’t care how it’s done. VAR or whatever... Blowing teams away is a bonus for me.

If we did it this season then there is no reason we can't do it again, the only teams who will be stronger next season are Manure and Chavs. City may be slightly better as well, but then they are already pretty damned good and we only play them twice.
      Harrisimo

• 7,973 posts | 1356 
      Reply #25: Jul 30, 2020 04:59:53 pm
      Considering the Gaffa said next season we will attack. For him to say that might mean he will bring in more direct goal threat from the front 6. I hope he does recruit one or two more quality front men. Divock might move on but much as I like him I think we need a bit more clout.

Ox hasn't kicked on since his injury. Nabby looks good at times. Mini has potential, Jones likewise But do we need to get in proven goal threat from midfield.

We were I believe after Pulisic so the Gaffa is thinking along the attacking lines.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #26: Jul 30, 2020 05:06:05 pm

I think it'll be between us and city again.

Chavs will lack consistency, and their defense is pretty sh*t.

United flatter to deceive, and also lack consistency, plus their defense is Maguire'd and De Gea has forgotten how to keep goal.

Spurs look like they're shot, and past their best.

Leicester will be hoping to nick a top 4 slot.

Arsenal; Who?

As it stands, I can't see past us and city for the title.

It would be nice to get another CB in, possibly a LB and another forward if Klopp thinks Brewster isn't quite there yet.
      If Keita stays fit, his running gives us another dimension, as does Ox's when he's on form.
      harrydunn08

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #27: Jul 30, 2020 05:39:07 pm
      I think the squad is in good shape for the most part.  The only 3 things we could use are:

-  A new CB to replace Lovren.  Hopefully one who is capable of competing with Joe for the right to partner Virg at the back.
      -  A versatile forward who can can fill any of the front 3 positions without a drop in quality.
      -  A backup LB to give Robbo the occasional rest. 

With the right recruit, 1 player could check 2 of those boxes as a CB and backup LB -- I like Ake but it seems he's off to City. 

I'm excited to see the continued growth and development of some of our young players like Jones, Williams, Elliot, and Brewster.  Also, I've read that Klopp really likes Van Den Berg, so it will be interesting to see if he plays a more important role this season. 

Best part is that the new season is only 6 weeks away!!! 
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,824 posts | 4921 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #28: Jul 30, 2020 08:23:11 pm
      I’d be surprised if we didn’t sign anyone, Jürgen knows he needs to fill in the gaps, he knows where we are weakest and should address those issues, I’m happy we are quiet atm, it means that we are probing the market and keeping under the media radar,

Jürgen will know what is needed and will act accordingly, it’s more to do with what is available and whether they will fit his system.

Y  N  W  A
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #29: Jul 30, 2020 09:12:49 pm
      Looks like Swansea want Brewster on loan again next season and the lad seems keen
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #30: Jul 30, 2020 10:55:40 pm
      Looks like Swansea want Brewster on loan again next season and the lad seems keen

Might be the right option. A full season in the Championship starting every game in a team you would expect will get promotion next season.

Then he will return to us with lots of experience ready for first team action.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #31: Jul 30, 2020 11:25:26 pm
      Might be the right option. A full season in the Championship starting every game in a team you would expect will get promotion next season.

I hope he stays with us.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #32: Jul 30, 2020 11:28:46 pm

I'd be happy with that too mate but I'd like to see Rhian play week in week out next season which he won't here unless Jürgen starts rotating our front three regularly.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #33: Jul 31, 2020 02:47:16 am
      I think that will be a good move for all parties.  He shows promise but our front 3 are world class the bench mark is high very high.  A full season will only do him a world of good.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #34: Jul 31, 2020 08:29:45 am

I disagree, I think he needs games with us, if he's not ready to make the step up to Prem level now then he never will be, unless he's an incredibly late bloomer.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #35: Jul 31, 2020 08:49:23 am
      I disagree, I think he needs games with us, if he's not ready to make the step up to Prem level now then he never will be, unless he's an incredibly late bloomer.

Incredibly late bloomer? He just turned 20 mate! It's tricky as while I want to see him here ahead of Origi next season I also think he is a much better player and should be starting games which he won't with us. Unless Jürgen has a plan for him.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #36: Jul 31, 2020 09:16:00 am
      Incredibly late bloomer? He just turned 20 mate! It's tricky as while I want to see him here ahead of Origi next season I also think he is a much better player and should be starting games which he won't with us. Unless Jürgen has a plan for him.

Yes at 20 I'd expect a good forward to start playing plenty of games, at the highest level. The way he has been playing for Swansea I see no reason why we couldn't rotate him into the team in a lot of matches with him either starting or coming in off the bench, we have to stop relying so much on just playing Mane, Bobby and Salah every match, they need competition and rest plus the opposition defenders need other players to worry about.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #37: Jul 31, 2020 11:18:36 am

Same.

He'll be assessed in pre-season, his stats examined etc and go from there I'd reckon.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #38: Jul 31, 2020 01:22:26 pm
      I said we'll challenge.

I also said I don't think we'll get 99 points again.

We're still capable of getting over 90, but other teams are going to be stronger next year., so it stands to reason we probably won't get as many points.

In fact, I think between 90 and 95 points will win the league next season.

I understood your point from the 1st moment but I think we will challenge for the title again because now we know how to do it.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #39: Jul 31, 2020 02:14:31 pm
      I understood your point from the 1st moment but I think we will challenge for the title again because now we know how to do it.

Its also a lot less pressure on the players now, they now have that winning feeling and are comfortable with it.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #40: Jul 31, 2020 04:04:31 pm
      I'd be happy with that too mate but I'd like to see Rhian play week in week out next season which he won't here unless Jürgen starts rotating our front three regularly.

I get your point about him needing games, but two things make me think he will be staying (so long as preseason doesn't go against him)

1. We're playing at least 50 games again this coming season (and with any success more like 60). Jürgen could regularly rotate four players in three starting spots and every one of the four would get at least 45 starts along with sub appearances (not saying that is how Jürgen would do it, but a young player can still get more than enough game action and the other three still be playing nearly all the time). We've all talked about the vulnerability of the team to one of the front three being injured. It is just a good thing if that load can be shared - although of course it has to be shared among players of similar ability. Divock, Minamino, Ox and Shaq have not made that kind of impression to be considered as a viable fourth, it's true, but Rhian.....

2. Rhian COULD be the player to allow Jürgen to do that. Don't forgot the way Jürgen kept him close by during both Champions League runs. Even when he had the long-term injury, Jürgen insisted he do his rehab at Melwood. You always saw him around the first team. He's in the changing room dancing with the boys after Barcelona and was on subs bench. Jürgen kept commenting about how good he was. This past preseason he was making a very good impression and I think took another knock. Yes, they sent him on loan in January for match time but unlike many of our players who get loaned out, he really seized the opportunity. The quality of his goals was exceptional.

It's easy to keep saying with a young player that he's "one for the future" and then keep pushing back the time when he gets a real opportunity with the first team. You look at the best players worldwide and they typically were first team regulars by ages 18-21. They didn't all come up with poor teams where there was nobody else good i front of them. As with every young player, there comes a time when a manager has to give him the opportunity to show in a game that he reallly belongs. This should be Rhian Brewster's opportunity to show that.
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #41: Jul 31, 2020 05:37:23 pm
      Interesting debate and some great points made about strengthening at left back and centre back backup options which I agree with.

What I will add though is that with the minutes Mane Salah and Firmino play it would be some achievement if neither of them 3 was to pick up any serious injury for the 3rd season running. I know they had a few small injury’s here and there like Bobby before Madrid and Salah in Kiev but all 3 have had no major injuries in that time. For that reason it’s time to bring in another forward who’s better and more versatile than Origi just incase one does get injured. Not only will this help us retain the title but it will help us have a better run in the cups when Klopp rotates
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #42: Aug 11, 2020 04:05:57 pm
      I think we are nearly set. Probably will see another center back and that will be it (not counting U23 prospect types ).

Very interested to see what Jürgen will do with Brewster and Grujic in preseason. Starts this weekend doesn't it?
      Harrisimo

• 7,973 posts | 1356 
      Reply #43: Aug 11, 2020 05:31:15 pm
      Kosta looks like he'll be back up for Robbo. Good move by the boss. Kosta will push Robbo and will give him a breather as well. I'd like us to bring in more competition for the front 3. Mo looks a bit stale sometimes and Bobby isn't always on blob. For that pressure we need top glass.Somebody who will put serious pressure on the Boss. Make it very hard to leave him out.

None of the current squad do that but we need that pressure on the front 3.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #44: Aug 11, 2020 05:37:44 pm
      osta looks like he'll be back up for Robbo. Good move by the boss. Kosta will push Robbo and will give him a breather as well.

There were times last season that Robbo had a dip in form, I think it may partly have been because there was no competition for his place. It wasn't often his form dipped but there were a few times when he wasn't quite himself so hopefully this addition will push Robbo on even further and provide damn good cover should Robbo be out or see a dip in form.

Something we need to do for the attack too.
      Harrisimo

• 7,973 posts | 1356 
      Reply #45: Aug 11, 2020 05:52:54 pm
      There were times last season that Robbo had a dip in form, I think it may partly have been because there was no competition for his place. It wasn't often his form dipped but there were a few times when he wasn't quite himself so hopefully this addition will push Robbo on even further and provide damn good cover should Robbo be out or see a dip in form.

Something we need to do for the attack too.

Nothing wrong with healthy competition Need that pressure on the squad. As I said we need more up front but the midfield is in a constant state of flux as well. Maybe that area already has enough what with Jones coming thru but I've lost confidence in The Ox. Pity Villa stayed up.Might have been able to stitch them up with a Grealish/AOC swop..with us adding on a few mill..

Quick Reply