Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 16th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W16 D7 L8

Liverpool Squad for 2020-21 Season

Read 18601 times
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,725 posts | 847 
      Re: Liverpool Squad for 2020-21 Season
      Reply #46: Aug 11, 2020 07:42:08 pm
      <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-theme="light"><p lang="und" dir="ltr"><a href="https://t.co/8vOoQbFMlc">https://t.co/8vOoQbFMlc</a></p>&mdash; paul joyce (@_pauljoyce) <a href="https://twitter.com/_pauljoyce/status/1293220228156002310?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 11, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I guess, it is not really going to change anything as I can't think Klopp and the rest of the staff didn't know this money was coming our way when they were speaking of financial uncertainty, but I decided to post it regardless just for the sake of discussing it (and seeing a couple of people lose it haha)
      « Last Edit: Aug 11, 2020 07:47:34 pm by PolarBearRed »
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #47: Aug 11, 2020 09:50:20 pm
      <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-theme="light"><p lang="und" dir="ltr"><a href="https://t.co/8vOoQbFMlc">https://t.co/8vOoQbFMlc</a></p>&mdash; paul joyce (@_pauljoyce) <a href="https://twitter.com/_pauljoyce/status/1293220228156002310?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 11, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I guess, it is not really going to change anything as I can't think Klopp and the rest of the staff didn't know this money was coming our way when they were speaking of financial uncertainty, but I decided to post it regardless just for the sake of discussing it (and seeing a couple of people lose it haha)
      I imagine some will be put towards Anny road and some possibly towards Kirkby training complex
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #48: Aug 12, 2020 12:00:05 am
      Nothing wrong with healthy competition Need that pressure on the squad. As I said we need more up front but the midfield is in a constant state of flux as well. Maybe that area already has enough what with Jones coming thru but I've lost confidence in The Ox. Pity Villa stayed up.Might have been able to stitch them up with a Grealish/AOC swop..with us adding on a few mill..

I see Ox as an integral part of the team. He hasn't played as much maybe because the team was winning and Jürgen didn't want to tinker. When we play with Gini, Fab and Hendo we don't really expect many goals from midfield. We do get the occasional cracker from Fab or a couple of regulation finishes from the other two but that midfield is meant to stifle the opposition and get the ball to our front 3. We have been winning even though stats say we aren't the best team, but we defend a lot better than City and that is a big part of our success; almost like we planned it that way. I think this year we are going to have to switch it up a bit. This season will have taken its toll mentally and we will most likely have to be a little more inventive going forward. I think Ox is instrumental in that. Scoring from midfield, I don't know of many better in Europe to be honest. His stats may not bear that out recently because of injury but he a constant threat. He creates goals too. I hope he becomes more of a fixture this season. Anyway that's my opinion and I have been known to be wrong : )
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,495 posts | 1759 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #49: Aug 12, 2020 11:01:42 am
      I see Ox as an integral part of the team. He hasn't played as much maybe because the team was winning and Jürgen didn't want to tinker. When we play with Gini, Fab and Hendo we don't really expect many goals from midfield. We do get the occasional cracker from Fab or a couple of regulation finishes from the other two but that midfield is meant to stifle the opposition and get the ball to our front 3. We have been winning even though stats say we aren't the best team, but we defend a lot better than City and that is a big part of our success; almost like we planned it that way. I think this year we are going to have to switch it up a bit. This season will have taken its toll mentally and we will most likely have to be a little more inventive going forward. I think Ox is instrumental in that. Scoring from midfield, I don't know of many better in Europe to be honest. His stats may not bear that out recently because of injury but he a constant threat. He creates goals too. I hope he becomes more of a fixture this season. Anyway that's my opinion and I have been known to be wrong : )

Ox, naby & Minamimo are play a lot more games next season. And with likes of Jones & young elliott putting pressure on for game time, the squad is looking very healthy IMO.

As mentioned before perhaps some backup for the front 3 thats maybe gonna be a bit more consistant than origi, but maybe klopp will just tinker with formations to get the players mentioned more games without sacrificing the usual MF 3.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #50: Aug 12, 2020 11:17:11 am
      Pity Villa stayed up.Might have been able to stitch them up with a Grealish/AOC swop..with us adding on a few mill..

Think there would have been more chance of me signing for Liverpool than that ever happening mate

No way a 26 year old Oxlade Chamberlain would have been willing to drop down a division & play for a recently relegated Aston Villa after just winning the European Cup & Premier League. He's light years above their level as it is, never mind if they were in the Championship

Wouldn't be surprised if Grealish stayed at Villa for as long as they were in the top flight. Supposedly had opportunities to leave but he hasn't taken them, bit like Le Tissier for Southampton years ago. Similar type of player too coincidentally!
      « Last Edit: Aug 12, 2020 11:24:09 am by TameImpala »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,573 posts | 6915 
      Reply #51: Aug 12, 2020 12:02:54 pm
      I'm interested to see what happens with both Harry Wilson and Marko Grujic. 

The impression I got from last summer was that Grujic was earmarked as having some kind of future at Liverpool after a final loan spell.  I'm not saying they are walking into the first team but in terms of a 23 man squad then surely they would add quality to that.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,495 posts | 1759 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #52: Aug 12, 2020 02:43:27 pm

The impression I got from last summer was that Grujic was earmarked as having some kind of future at Liverpool after a final loan spell.  I'm not saying they are walking into the first team but in terms of a 23 man squad then surely they would add quality to that.

Both sold I reckon, squad is full enough, and the club (like all just now) need cash.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,155 posts | 1381 
      Reply #53: Aug 12, 2020 04:12:51 pm

Me to. But I just think the Ox needs to improve massively. He is a threat from midfield but he is very often anonymous and even when he is in dangerous positions he can't get it quite right. Seems he has to play centrally to be really effective. He isn't good enough down the right and doesn't always track runners and does switch off sometimes.

We need to improve from this fantastic position. Wouldn't be to upset if The Ox stayed but I still think he's to inconsistent to really give the Boss a selection headache
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #54: Aug 12, 2020 04:41:50 pm
      Me to. But I just think the Ox needs to improve massively. He is a threat from midfield but he is very often anonymous and even when he is in dangerous positions he can't get it quite right. Seems he has to play centrally to be really effective. He isn't good enough down the right and doesn't always track runners and does switch off sometimes.

We need to improve from this fantastic position. Wouldn't be to upset if The Ox stayed but I still think he's to inconsistent to really give the Boss a selection headache

We saw what he could do when he had a run of games before his injury, so we know he can do it, and do it consistently.

Let's not forget, he missed a whole year of the teams evolution and development, pretty much, and although he would have been involved in meetings about shape, formation, strategy, tactics etc there's no substitute for doing it out on the training ground with team mates.
      I'm sure that's why we've seen misplaced passed, or the wrong run at the wrong time from him this season.

It'll come.
      rossyred

• 9,226 posts | 1650 
      Reply #55: Aug 12, 2020 05:49:41 pm
      We saw what he could do when he had a run of games before his injury, so we know he can do it, and do it consistently.

Let's not forget, he missed a whole year of the teams evolution and development, pretty much, and although he would have been involved in meetings about shape, formation, strategy, tactics etc there's no substitute for doing it out on the training ground with team mates.
      I'm sure that's why we've seen misplaced passed, or the wrong run at the wrong time from him this season.

It'll come.

Let's not forget he missed a whole year is correct so with the other injuries he has had might not be the same again big season coming up
      Harrisimo

• 8,155 posts | 1381 
      Reply #56: Aug 12, 2020 07:17:12 pm

It'll come.

I hope it does and he did make a good start. Yes the injury set him back and maybe the in/out way he is used doesn't do him any favours, plus the positional issue. Just expressing one ot two concerns about his form. More than anything I'd like to see a quality proven front man come in. We need serious back up for the front 3.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #57: Aug 13, 2020 12:03:30 pm
      I hope it does and he did make a good start. Yes the injury set him back and maybe the in/out way he is used doesn't do him any favours, plus the positional issue. Just expressing one ot two concerns about his form. More than anything I'd like to see a quality proven front man come in. We need serious back up for the front 3.

I think we all have a few concerns about his form since returning from injury.
      Scores a worldie one minute, can't find a pass the next.

It gets a little bit frustrating sometimes, but we all know he can do the business and do it consistently.
      If his form doesn't pick up this season, then maybe we'll have cause to worry, but it's really up to AOC now to train hard, find his form and get back to his best.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #58: Aug 13, 2020 12:28:03 pm

You can't think of many better AM's than Ox, are you joking??
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #59: Aug 13, 2020 12:28:34 pm

Feel like Wilson isn't really going to make it, be surprised if he sticks around this year as I can't see him getting a lot of games. I'd much rather give Elliot those minutes - every time I see that kid play he looks better and better.

Can't say I've followed Grujic closely, he's got a lot of work to get involved in the midfield debate, with Ox and Naby already pushing Gini and Hendo. Throw Jones in there and it's a difficult picture for Grujic. That's without even mentioning Milly!

I'd love to see Naby push on next year and start to show the form we've only seen sporadically on a more consistent basis.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #60: Aug 13, 2020 12:35:00 pm
      Feel like Wilson isn't really going to make it, be surprised if he sticks around this year as I can't see him getting a lot of games. I'd much rather give Elliot those minutes - every time I see that kid play he looks better and better.

Can't say I've followed Grujic closely, he's got a lot of work to get involved in the midfield debate, with Ox and Naby already pushing Gini and Hendo. Throw Jones in there and it's a difficult picture for Grujic. That's without even mentioning Milly!

I'd love to see Naby push on next year and start to show the form we've only seen sporadically on a more consistent basis.

It's interesting in that Grujic has been starting nearly every match for a team in the Bundesliga, which for me is the closest league in quality to the Premier League. Understood that you start to get too many players competing for too few slots, but I wouldn't just assume Marco will not be considered for this season's squad.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #61: Aug 13, 2020 01:47:04 pm
      It's interesting in that Grujic has been starting nearly every match for a team in the Bundesliga, which for me is the closest league in quality to the Premier League. Understood that you start to get too many players competing for too few slots, but I wouldn't just assume Marco will not be considered for this season's squad.

Apparently, they think really highly of the lad.

I'd like to see him get some chances, see what he can do.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,139 posts | 4893 
      Reply #62: Aug 13, 2020 01:59:18 pm
      You can't think of many better AM's than Ox, are you joking??

Tend to agree with you. In our squad alone Hendo and Keita are better attacking midfielders.

I like Chamberlain and do think he offers something a bit different with his direct running and shooting from distance but it's a stretch, to say the least, to say anyone can't think of much better AM's.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #63: Aug 13, 2020 02:46:32 pm
      Tend to agree with you. In our squad alone Hendo and Keita are better attacking midfielders.

I like Chamberlain and do think he offers something a bit different with his direct running and shooting from distance but it's a stretch, to say the least, to say anyone can't think of much better AM's.

When the Ox plays well he's very good, but far too often he goes missing in matches.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,139 posts | 4893 
      Reply #64: Aug 13, 2020 02:52:32 pm
      When the Ox plays well he's very good, but far too often he goes missing in matches.

Especially since the return. I think he's a player that performs at his best after a runs of games. Something which he's struggling to nail down this season.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #65: Aug 13, 2020 07:58:49 pm

Ox had a decent 19/20 season after not really playing the year before, he was our best goal scorer outside the front trio. I agree that he is better in the middle and I am sure he would like to play more down the middle but like at Arsenal he is victim of his versatility that he can be plugged in wide since we are thin in that position Klopp seem to prefer sticking out there. With that versatility in mind will keep around for the time being.

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #66: Aug 16, 2020 01:36:36 am
      Just watched the first Inside Training video on the official site as the club opens its 10-day camp in Austria. Looked like a fairly intense session as well, with a lot of work on the ball rather than the normal opening day beep tests (unless they just didn't film that). It may be since the break was shorter than usual and since it is only two weeks/four weeks until the Charity Shield and the start of the league campaign, they are taking a quicker approach to getting ready.

Seeing the work the players were doing on the ball was very reassuring. So many good footballers in our team.

I was also happy to see, among others, Marko Grujic and Rhian Brewster. I believe Nat Phillips was there, and Loris Karius too. I did not see Harry Wilson or Ben Woodburn.

One surprise was a young defender who just signed his first pro contract, Billy Koumetio.

Waiting for word on any friendlies scheduled for Austria or elsewhere.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #67: Aug 16, 2020 07:31:32 pm
      Some comments from Jürgen on the start of training being a little different this year because of a shorter time-span. He also mentioned that the location of this camp was changed from Evian, France to Salzburg, Austria in just the past week because of a quarantine situation between England and France.

“We never start with pure running, but of course the boys didn't lose a lot,” Klopp said. “The plan for them was really rest for two weeks and then start with physical work for five days, so they didn't lose anything pretty much.

“So we don't do testing, like an endurance test or whatever which we usually do, it's not necessary. We don't have time for it on the other side because we play, meanwhile, in 13 days, our first competitive game [against Arsenal].

“It's, of course, different because the status, the level is different, so the ball will be involved pretty much all the time but some running sessions will be there as well.”
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #68: Aug 16, 2020 10:08:48 pm
      Another good video from the club on day 2 of preseason training. Looks like they split into three groups for some short-sided (maybe 60 metres) training games. Hendo and  Matip are in rehab and Trent didn't appear to be involved here either. A lot of end to end action with Bobby Firmino, Mo Salah, Andy Robertson, Harvey Elliott and Taki Minamino standing out for me.

The group that wasn't in the main exercise would play 4v4 with some pug goals. Funny bit where Sadio tries to wrestle Bobby down but can't stop him from scoring.

Video also shows Alisson and Adrian working on distribution while Pep Ljinders places wagers on the winner. Achterberg was putting Loris Karius through a shot-stopping exercise and it appears Kamil Grabara is also in the camp and was doing some footwork.

Beautiful place where they are training. I wish I could sneak onto the property and climb a tree on the nearby hillside and spy on training, but these videos will have to do.

Quick Reply