Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Liverpool Squad for 2020-21 Season

Read 18458 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Re: Liverpool Squad for 2020-21 Season
      Reply #138: Oct 03, 2020 07:17:57 pm
      I think you meant Thursday dude? The young-ins look alright from time to time in the League Cup but week in week out in the Prem is a different matter. Particularly at centre-half, you don't see many breaking through at 18-19.

Klopp has been pretty direct in saying he doesn't expect to bring anyone else in. I get what you are saying, especially with Matip seemingly being star-crossed, but it doesn't seem like he intends to make another purchase in this window.

GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #139: Oct 03, 2020 09:08:10 pm
      I think you meant Thursday dude? The young-ins look alright from time to time in the League Cup but week in week out in the Prem is a different matter. Particularly at centre-half, you don't see many breaking through at 18-19. 
      Well corrected Scott. Not sure how I came up with Monday, but hey ho. Thought Rhys had a solid performance, but you’re right long term
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,696 posts | 837 
      Reply #140: Oct 13, 2020 08:17:33 pm
      Didn't want to start a new thread just for that but I have a question that I would be curious to know what is the forum's answer to it:

If everybody is healthy, what is your ''go to'' CB pairing?

I personally feel a bit more confident and relaxed when its VVD + Matip. I just feel like Matip is, overall, more commanding in the air, his first couple of strides when out of position and wanting to catch up are superior to Gomez's (which is important because both like to carry the ball and naturally sometime get caught in an advanced position). The understanding between big Joel and VVD also seem a notch superior (to me) than the one between Joe and VVD.

I still love Joe obviously but healthy Matip is my choice over him. I might be right or wrong, just curious to read the opinion of others on that matter.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #141: Oct 15, 2020 11:45:41 am
      Didn't want to start a new thread just for that but I have a question that I would be curious to know what is the forum's answer to it:

If everybody is healthy, what is your ''go to'' CB pairing?

I personally feel a bit more confident and relaxed when its VVD + Matip. I just feel like Matip is, overall, more commanding in the air, his first couple of strides when out of position and wanting to catch up are superior to Gomez's (which is important because both like to carry the ball and naturally sometime get caught in an advanced position). The understanding between big Joel and VVD also seem a notch superior (to me) than the one between Joe and VVD.

I still love Joe obviously but healthy Matip is my choice over him. I might be right or wrong, just curious to read the opinion of others on that matter.

At the moment Matip & VVD.
      If Gomez gets in form then he goes in beside Virgil.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #142: Oct 15, 2020 11:49:34 am
      At the moment Matip & VVD.
      If Gomez gets in form then he goes in beside Virgil.

Agree.

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #143: Oct 17, 2020 07:20:04 pm
      Hypothetically

If VVD is gone for the season, who comes in if we lose another, wjo is now effectively our 4th centre half now?
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #144: Oct 17, 2020 07:26:42 pm
      Hypothetically

If VVD is gone for the season, who comes in if we lose another, wjo is now effectively our 4th centre half now?

Fabinho has to be be sacrificed from midfield... and he can do a job, but his role in the middle is so important in my opinion. When people were saying we didn’t need a new CB during the window because we have Fabinho... and I hated that argument... nobody considered it would be Virgil that would be out.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #145: Oct 17, 2020 07:29:35 pm
      Fabinho has to be be sacrificed from midfield... and he can do a job, but his role in the middle is so important in my opinion. When people were saying we didn’t need a new CB during the window because we have Fabinho... and I hated that argument... nobody considered it would be Virgil that would be out.

Hes the 3rd choice...if he Joe or Matip go who comes in be it the starting team or the bench? Is Philips and Williams here or gone on loan? I think Williams looked decent in the league cup
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #146: Oct 17, 2020 07:32:03 pm
      Hes the 3rd choice...if he Joe or Matip go who comes in be it the starting team or the bench? Is Philips and Williams here or gone on loan? I think Williams looked decent in the league cup
      In that case we are fu**ed, Williams looked great next to Virgil, but as soon as he was taken off and replaced by Fabinho he panicked not having Virgil next to him.

Virgil is literally the biggest loss we could have faced... gotta pray Matip and Gomez stay fit and find form.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #147: Oct 17, 2020 08:28:23 pm
      More than likely we might have to use Nat Philips if we haven't loaned him out again
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #148: Oct 17, 2020 09:26:56 pm
      I for one wont be surprised if whats gone on today gels the squad even more and that we become even more focused on our targets.

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #149: Oct 17, 2020 09:52:33 pm
      More than likely we might have to use Nat Philips if we haven't loaned him out again

Nat Phillips is still in the squad. He was in the club's training video from Thursday.

Played a full season in Bundesliga 2 last year so that's worthwhile experience, but....man. Virgil is such a big loss.  >:(
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #150: Oct 18, 2020 11:10:49 am
      Does a long term injury to VVD mean that we don’t see Fab in midfield? I mean if he is out 3rd choice centre back, is it likely we have all 3 of them on the pitch at the same time?
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 376 
      Reply #151: Oct 18, 2020 08:29:30 pm
      have to say its somewhat concerning now that we have 3 cbs including fabinho...and one of those is made of dairylea....
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,053 posts | 82 
      Reply #152: Oct 18, 2020 08:50:57 pm
      Fab, Gini, Milner and Hendo could easily jump into a CB role. I don't see a big problem. It's much more urgent that Jürgen figures out our defensive woes.
      Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 376 
      Reply #153: Oct 18, 2020 09:01:25 pm
      Fab, Gini, Milner and Hendo could easily jump into a CB role. I don't see a big problem. It's much more urgent that Jürgen figures out our defensive woes.

blimey
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #154: Oct 18, 2020 09:32:31 pm

Well it will be bit F***ing harder for Jürgen to fugure out now that he doesen't have the best CB in the world to play!

And if you think Gini, Milly and Hendo could "easily jump into a CB role" you're on F***ing crack!

It's a massive loss and we will struggle defensively regardless of the changes Klopp makes to our system, at least until Alisson is back.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #155: Oct 18, 2020 09:36:07 pm
      Does a long term injury to VVD mean that we don’t see Fab in midfield? I mean if he is out 3rd choice centre back, is it likely we have all 3 of them on the pitch at the same time?

Matip and Gomez will be our first choice pairing now so no reason Fab can't continue as DM with Thiago pulling the strings next to him.

We will need to recruit a CB in January now although we needed to anyway.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #156: Oct 18, 2020 09:52:27 pm
      Matip and Gomez will be our first choice pairing now so no reason Fab can't continue as DM with Thiago pulling the strings next to him.

We will need to recruit a CB in January now although we needed to anyway.

Feels like either Matip or Gomez are always injured.

If Matip can get a run of games I firmly believe he can step up to be best in the prem.

Same with Gomez to be fair - I have faith

Quick Reply