Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 19th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P21 W11 D8 L2

Jamal Lewis - Norwich City

Read 9352 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Jamal Lewis - Norwich City
      Reply #46: Aug 07, 2020 01:10:10 pm
      More publicity than Jürgen and Co. typically like to see. The articles keep mentioning Lewis has the same agency as Trent and Robbo. No doubt in my mind where the  publicity is coming from.....

No problem with him coming in if it is who the manager wants of course. But I do not like how much influence agents have in transfers. Far too many clubs have their personnel policy driven by agents rather than their own management. Jürgen would never allow this at Liverpool and I wonder his reaction to this back and forth being publicized now.

It’s no more publicised than any other transfer. The only signing that went completely under the radar was Fabinho.
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,464 posts | 228 
      Reply #47: Aug 07, 2020 01:27:54 pm
      The times I've seen him he's lacking a bit defensively  which is slightly concerning for a full back. Are there other full backs (maybe older) happy to be a backup but also fit into what Klopp expects?
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #48: Aug 07, 2020 02:41:07 pm
      The times I've seen him he's lacking a bit defensively  which is slightly concerning for a full back. Are there other full backs (maybe older) happy to be a backup but also fit into what Klopp expects?

Yup we're also linked with Olympiacos left back Tsimikas who looks a decent player.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,912 posts | 8428 
      Reply #49: Aug 07, 2020 03:38:34 pm
      The fact that this has been discussed publicly but hasn't happened within 24-48 hours later makes me think it won't.

The club usually only lets the info out when it is practically a done deal.

We look to sticking with our £10 million valuation, they want double.

If we're absolutely sold on the player push nearer to £15 million and we'd get him, but looks like we're playing with the Lovren money!!
      « Last Edit: Aug 07, 2020 03:50:53 pm by HUYTON RED »
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,912 posts | 8428 
      Reply #50: Aug 07, 2020 03:39:58 pm
      Yeah I can see it being between 15 and 20 which for a young player with significant prem experience is pretty bloody good!

£15 million would be middle ground territory, they seem to be holding out for 20.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #51: Aug 07, 2020 03:49:37 pm

Same as Trent. Ultimately our fullbacks are more of a midfielder than a defender and with him still being young, there’s plenty of time for him to develop the defensive side of his game.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #52: Aug 07, 2020 05:19:14 pm
      If he’s our first choice surely we can push higher we ain’t that skint.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,102 posts | 883 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #53: Aug 07, 2020 07:40:24 pm

Better speak to our owners
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,912 posts | 8428 
      Reply #54: Aug 07, 2020 08:38:34 pm

We're not skint, it's the owners choice here over the whole furlough situation and what would be perceived as obscene overspending during this time etc.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #55: Aug 08, 2020 01:14:57 am
      We're not skint, it's the owners choice here over the whole furlough situation and what would be perceived as obscene overspending during this time etc.

Yeah but we’re talking to 15m possibly that isn’t obscene
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #56: Aug 08, 2020 10:33:10 am

If we really can't scrape together an extra 5 or even £10m then we really are fu**ed!
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 836 
      Reply #57: Aug 09, 2020 02:33:53 pm
      Seems like it wont be happening. We moved on to Tsimikas according to the reliable guys on Twitter (Pearce, Reddy, Joyce, etc)
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,912 posts | 8428 
      Reply #58: Aug 09, 2020 02:42:54 pm
      If we really can't scrape together an extra 5 or even £10m then we really are fu**ed!

If we're self sufficient, then we're playing poker with the Lovren cash!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,912 posts | 8428 
      Reply #59: Aug 09, 2020 02:43:52 pm
      Seems like it wont be happening. We moved on to Tsimikas according to the reliable guys on Twitter (Pearce, Reddy, Joyce, etc)

Or it's being used as a way for Norwich to lower the price.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,912 posts | 8428 
      Reply #60: Aug 09, 2020 02:45:11 pm

I never mentiomed this deal though, this is a deal trying to be done with money we got back from Dejan.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 836 
      Reply #61: Aug 09, 2020 04:25:54 pm
      Or it's being used as a way for Norwich to lower the price.
      It might be but I am hoping it is not. I prefer we send a clear message that we will not be bullied into paying more money than we think is reasonable. We want your player for this sum of money and we are willing to negotiate within a certain price range that we think is fit for what we are getting. Beyond that, you can keep him, we've got a plan B that we'll gladly go to.

Sure this won't necessarily work if you are negotiating an upcoming superstar like Havertz or Werner bc all the big fishes are lining up with bags of money ready to replace you and its also kind of a unique product so, fair enough, they can command an outrageaous fee (seller's market), but it should send a clear enough message to smaller clubs that have a player that not many teams are after but that we identified as one of our targets in a situation where we have a plan B(and probably a C too) and that are now trying to make us pay the LFC tax.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,036 posts | 6285 
      Reply #62: Aug 09, 2020 08:48:38 pm
      It might be but I am hoping it is not. I prefer we send a clear message that we will not be bullied into paying more money than we think is reasonable. We want your player for this sum of money and we are willing to negotiate within a certain price range that we think is fit for what we are getting. Beyond that, you can keep him, we've got a plan B that we'll gladly go to.

Sure this won't necessarily work if you are negotiating an upcoming superstar like Havertz or Werner bc all the big fishes are lining up with bags of money ready to replace you and its also kind of a unique product so, fair enough, they can command an outrageaous fee (seller's market), but it should send a clear enough message to smaller clubs that have a player that not many teams are after but that we identified as one of our targets in a situation where we have a plan B(and probably a C too) and that are now trying to make us pay the LFC tax.

Sounds like Lewis was the plan B and we wanted the Greek lad all along. Or at least that’s what we’ve told him. Works for me.
      Kopite78
      Reply #63: Aug 09, 2020 10:28:28 pm
      Sounds like Lewis was the plan B and we wanted the Greek lad all along. Or at least that’s what we’ve told him. Works for me.

Yeah that's how it usually works. You bid for your second target before your first one 😅
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,305 posts | 1014 
      Reply #64: Aug 09, 2020 10:35:55 pm

Haha I think jamal was 1st choice. We only have the lovren money to use as its clear we need to sell to buy.

Offering the decent sell on clause was a good idea but obviously it became clear the lovren money wouldn't get it done we moved on to 2nd on the list.

Better that we did not get bogged down and bottom line is if Jürgen wasn't happy with him he wouldn't be coming here.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,912 posts | 8428 
      Reply #65: Aug 09, 2020 10:37:24 pm

Or having thought on the way Klopp works, Lewis along with the Greek lad will be a number of options we're looking at.
      I listened to Klopp speaking on the club doc Golden Sky about the season just gone around the goalie situation when we signed Adrian. It was Achterberg who gave him a number of options who'd make a good second keeper.
      Always remember Salah was an option B from Edwards after Klopp couldn't get Julian Brandt.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 836 
      Reply #66: Aug 09, 2020 11:39:02 pm
      Haha I think jamal was 1st choice. We only have the lovren money to use as its clear we need to sell to buy.

Offering the decent sell on clause was a good idea but obviously it became clear the lovren money wouldn't get it done we moved on to 2nd on the list.

Better that we did not get bogged down and bottom line is if Jürgen wasn't happy with him he wouldn't be coming here.
      Exactly. Very rarely is a player unique enough to justify getting bullied by the other club (Van Dijk and Alisson being good examples of players unique enough and transformational enough for us to break during negotiations). Jamal Lewis seems like a promising player that fits the mold of players Klopp likes to work with and more importantly fits within the parameters of our transfer strategy. However, he's not the only relatively young LB that fits those parameters so unless the drop in quality between him and the second choice is very steep then there's no reason for us to let Norwich (or any other team) pocket an extra 10M$ of our money because the name is Liverpool FC.

Quick Reply