Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Who's the best? Ronaldo or Messi.

Read 20452 times
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Who's the best? Ronaldo or Messi.
      Aug 15, 2020 06:59:27 am

Can't find a thread for this mods but by all means move it if there is one.

Do you know we've had debate over the years who is best? Ronaldo or Messi? I've changed my mind so many times. One min I think Messi and then Ronoaldo based on who had the better season. Now ive come to the conclusion ( and many will disagree ) it's defenitly Ronaldo, and here's why.

Ok we know Messi had has one more ( 6 )Ballon d'or than Ronaldo (5) you could argue during seasons 2009/10/11/12 that Messi was the best and somethng that many would agree on.

However, over the last 7 years Ronaldo has won it 4 times compared to Messi 2.

This is the difference for me that make Ronaldo the greatest player in the world, well at least at the moment till things may change Again.

Ronaldo has done it in Spain, Italy, Portugal & England. More importantly he's been a success every club where he's played for, let's not forget he played in some inferior teams when you compare them with messi. He's been successful on the biggest stage of the world in the World Cup.

Where has Messi done. it? Basically only ever played for one club in the world ( Spain ) Barcalona. He's never done it in the world club even though some of that's down to them not having a great side.

It's well advertised the hardest league in the world to win in is the Premier League. He's never played against our boys. Being at Barcalona week in week out he's playing against inferior opposition and surrounded totally buy world class players in Barcalona. No wonder he's scoring all the time with players like that round him. Ronaldo has never had that luxury and always done it the hard way..

No.... For me Ronaldo over the last ten years deserves to be named the greatest player in the world. It's now official  ;D

Before voting remember Ronaldo not a Manc anymore so don't let it sway your rose tinted glasses..
      Please express opinion but not with one word answers  :lmao:

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Who's the best? Ronaldo or Messi.
      Reply #1: Aug 15, 2020 09:42:11 am
      I donā€™t get why it matters that Messi has only played in Spain because heā€™s played against the Premier Leagues ā€œbig 6ā€ 33 times and scored 26 goals, which I believe is 1 goal less than Hazard managed in 80+ games and a much better goal ratio than what Ronaldo has managed. Messi has scored lots of goals against English teams, German teams and generally against teams from every nation he comes up against so I think thatā€™s a pretty good indication that heā€™d have been a success in other leagues.

Iā€™d also argue that Ronaldo going to Italy heā€™s been less of a success, his goals have been less and Juventus have actually been worse off since signing him. Thatā€™s not to say Ronaldo hasnā€™t done well in Italy, more that heā€™s not really added anything to their team that they didnā€™t already have or what they couldā€™ve gotten from another player.

Balon dā€™or isnā€™t a great way to judge it, thereā€™s been a few now that Messi and Ronaldo shouldnā€™t have won, thereā€™s been years that they really shouldnā€™t have won it but because they won a certain trophy, it basically went hand in hand.

For me Messi is the better of the two and itā€™s much more natural for him where as Ronaldo has to work like crazy to be at that level. What I would say favours Ronaldo though is his attitude, he has a far better attitude than Messi, I donā€™t think Ronaldo would ever retire from International football but Messi has retired 2 or 3 times now on the back of his side losing a match. Messi has become very ā€˜Messi FCā€™ and if itā€™s not going his way he will throw his toys out the pram as if itā€™s a given right that he should be on the winning team. Ronaldo always looks as though he would die trying to salvage something for his team and I donā€™t think youā€™d have seen him casually strolling around like Messi was against Bayern and has done plenty of times because heā€™s losing.

Itā€™s a debate that nobody will ever agree on.
      Isaac!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,572 posts | 325 
      Reply #2: Aug 15, 2020 04:31:19 pm
      Messi obviously. It's not close, it's not a debate. Any comparison is insulting. If someone wanted to argue for Pele, for Maradonna, for George Best, for Cruyf, for Michael Laudrup, for the original Ronaldo then I would entertain it. I think Messi is better than all of them, but I could appreciate the one arguing for them at least has some level of aesthetic.

Messi is infinitely better than Ronaldo in every aspect of the game except heading and narcissism.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #3: Aug 15, 2020 04:46:40 pm
      Itā€™s certainly close enough to warrant a discussion and anyone that thinks otherwise is having a laugh.

As much as I hate to say it, itā€™s probably Messi but I will say that if I had to choose between the two, Iā€™d probably take Ronaldo. As big of a douchebag as he can seem to be, I just get this weird vibe about Messi and I feel like heā€™s an even bigger douchebag but he gets a pass because heā€™s a little guy that is ridiculously good in spite of being physically disadvantaged.

Like KK said, he seems like ant everything to go his way and if it doesnā€™t, he tosses out his toys and sulks. Ronaldo is an amazing physical specimen and his physical abilities are freakin ridiculous.

I do agree with the assertion that Messi has been so good for so long partly due to being in an easier league all his career. Two seasons of wear and tear in the EPL is probably like 5 or 6 in La Liga. Sure he can perform against the big six, but what about having to play them plus the Stokes and Burnleyā€™s and all the other teams that beat the hell out of you week in and week out? Heā€™s a player that thrives on getting the benefit of officials calls and being ā€œprotectedā€. Just look at how he handled himself against us when Robbo was winding him up. He doesnā€™t like confrontation and I believe Ronaldo doesnā€™t have a problem with that side of the game at all.

I really just donā€™t like Messi very much but as much as I may waffle about his legacy, I wouldnā€™t argue with someone saying heā€™s the best ever.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #4: Aug 15, 2020 05:24:50 pm
      Messi obviously. It's not close, it's not a debate. Any comparison is insulting. If someone wanted to argue for Pele, for Maradonna, for George Best, for Cruyf, for Michael Laudrup, for the original Ronaldo then I would entertain it. I think Messi is better than all of them, but I could appreciate the one arguing for them at least has some level of aesthetic.

Messi is infinitely better than Ronaldo in every aspect of the game except heading and narcissism.

For you to say it's not even close tells me your not very knowledgeable  about football, but hey!, we all have a opinion.  :D
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #5: Aug 15, 2020 05:36:01 pm
      Itā€™s certainly close enough to warrant a discussion and anyone that thinks otherwise is having a laugh.

As much as I hate to say it, itā€™s probably Messi but I will say that if I had to choose between the two, Iā€™d probably take Ronaldo. As big of a douchebag as he can seem to be, I just get this weird vibe about Messi and I feel like heā€™s an even bigger douchebag but he gets a pass because heā€™s a little guy that is ridiculously good in spite of being physically disadvantaged.

Like KK said, he seems like ant everything to go his way and if it doesnā€™t, he tosses out his toys and sulks. Ronaldo is an amazing physical specimen and his physical abilities are freakin ridiculous.

I do agree with the assertion that Messi has been so good for so long partly due to being in an easier league all his career. Two seasons of wear and tear in the EPL is probably like 5 or 6 in La Liga. Sure he can perform against the big six, but what about having to play them plus the Stokes and Burnleyā€™s and all the other teams that beat the hell out of you week in and week out? Heā€™s a player that thrives on getting the benefit of officials calls and being ā€œprotectedā€. Just look at how he handled himself against us when Robbo was winding him up. He doesnā€™t like confrontation and I believe Ronaldo doesnā€™t have a problem with that side of the game at all.

I really just donā€™t like Messi very much but as much as I may waffle about his legacy, I wouldnā€™t argue with someone saying heā€™s the best ever.

A lot more balanced /sensible post and and agree with many points, it is very debatable hence why I ask.
      Fundamentally for me the two biggest points are like we've discussed. He's not done it in the hardest league in the world, not for a second I'm saying he wouldn't. However, there's always that element of doubt until he does which is extremely unlikely now.

F**k it! Let him come to United for his swan song years and I'll probably chance my mind.  ;D Also not forgetting the reason why he's scored so many goals is that he's be surrounded by world class players most of his life.

Good post FL Red
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #6: Aug 15, 2020 05:42:22 pm
      Heimdall take your rose tinted glasses  off for a second and tell me your views.  ;D
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #7: Aug 15, 2020 05:55:39 pm
      Heimdall take your rose tinted glasses  off for a second and tell me your views.  ;D

Blimey if I get called out like that then I have to answer.

In my opinion it has to be Ronaldo, he is the superior athlete and the more complete footballer. Ronaldo can score with either foot and is excellent in the air as well. The other factor which tilts it in Ronaldo's favour is that he can inspire a team much more than Messi can, Portugal's recent success is largely down to Ronaldo adding that extra bit of a magic to a good team, can the same be said of Messi at Argentina?

I also agree with the original post which pointed out that Ronaldo has won in multiple leagues and multiple teams, that is far more impressive than someone who just stayed in one dominant team his whole career playing against mostly weak opponents week in week out.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #8: Aug 15, 2020 06:00:56 pm

In my opinion it has to be Ronaldo, he is the superior athlete and the more complete footballer. Ronaldo can score with either foot and is excellent in the air as well. The other factor which tilts it in Ronaldo's favour is that he can inspire a team much more than Messi can, Portugal's recent success is largely down to Ronaldo adding that extra bit of a magic to a good team, can the same be said of Messi at Argentina?

I also agree with the original post which pointed out that Ronaldo has won in multiple leagues and multiple teams, that is far more impressive than someone who just stayed in one dominant team his whole career playing against mostly weak opponents week in week out.

Yes but Ronaldo has played at three different clubs who were all dominant in their leagues at those times so it's 6 in 1 in that regard.

Messi is the better, more skillful, more intelligent, more well rounded footballer but is not as physically impressive as Ronaldo. In terms of goal scoring Ronaldo is a power striker while Messi is a finesse striker.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #9: Aug 15, 2020 06:06:15 pm
      Yes but Ronaldo has played at three different clubs who were all dominant in their leagues at those times so it's 6 in 1 in that regard.

Messi is the better, more skillful, more intelligent, more well rounded footballer but is not as physically impressive as Ronaldo. In terms of goal scoring Ronaldo is a power striker while Messi is a finesse striker.

So who's better, its not quite clear from your post. The fact that all Ronaldo's teams were dominant is kind of irrelevant, and also not entirely true in the case of Man Utd who may have won the league but were never totally dominant, Ronaldo has shown he can adapt to other teams and leagues whilst maintaining incredible consistency.

End of the day they are both superb players, Messi more a magician in terms of skill, Ronaldo just a textbook forward in every regard.  If  I had the choice I'd pick Ronaldo every day to be in my team.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #10: Aug 15, 2020 06:19:22 pm
      Messi is the best player I've ever seen kick a ball. Not my favourite - even taking away Liverpool players I enjoyed watching Maradona and Brazillian Ronaldo more but as a player I do think he's the greatest ever.

I don't buy this 'only done it one league' narrative. I think it's something that's purely been created to increase Ronaldo's stock and knock Messi down. I've never heard anyone talk about that kind of stuff until very recently. Are you saying that somone like Maldini is a lesser centre half than some others because he never left Milan? It seems a bit odd that we slaughter players for not showing loyalty yet we are using the one club man thing against someone?

I disagree with anyone saying it isn't close though. Ronaldo was born with less talent but the way he has dedicated himself to becoming one of the all time greats is absolutely incredible. If I was coaching a young player I'd be telling them to model themselves on the way Ronaldo has achieved his success for sure.

That being said, I just feel Messi has the edge. He's as good as anyone when dribbling, he's as good as anyone passing in the final third, he's as good as anyone in front of goal and he's as good as anyone over a free kick. That whole package makes him number one.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #11: Aug 15, 2020 06:59:53 pm

Don't think you even had your glasses on with this post   ;D
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #12: Aug 15, 2020 07:05:53 pm
      Don't think you even had your glasses on with this post   ;D

I'm not as blinkered as some think, I appreciate great football, even from Man Utd. When that great football is from Liverpool though, it's nirvana :-)
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #13: Aug 15, 2020 07:06:37 pm

I go along with Messi being the more skilful player as one of his + over Ronaldo. Just as Ronaldo will have a bigger + over Messi in the air.  This is why it's just so debatable who is best and why it would be close. I'd still take whoever second best anyway,  especially at their peak.  ;D Mind you, they've been at peak between the pair of them over ten years. Phenomenal is the only word I discripe for both players.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #14: Aug 15, 2020 07:08:22 pm
      I'm not as blinkered as some think, I appreciate great football, even from Man Utd. When that great football is from Liverpool though, it's nirvana :-)

Very good  ;D
      Isaac!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,572 posts | 325 
      Reply #15: Aug 15, 2020 07:26:39 pm
      For you to say it's not even close tells me your not very knowledgeable  about football, but hey!, we all have a opinion.  :D

No, I'm right. In a way people can argue about why they prefer Nadal over Federer, Borg over McEnroe but they can only justify it terms of achievement. It's bricklayers v artists, perfect robots v creative genius. People who prefer Ronaldo and the former in the examples given have bags of dust where there should be a soul.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #16: Aug 15, 2020 07:33:16 pm
      No, I'm right. In a way people can argue about why they prefer Nadal over Federer, Borg over McEnroe but they can only justify it terms of achievement. It's bricklayers v artists, perfect robots v creative genius. People who prefer Ronaldo and the former in the examples given have bags of dust where there should be a soul.

No your wrong, but your right about Nadal & Federer as it is with Borg & McEnroe  ;D  All played in my era and great players too. Please don't ask me to pick who's best out of them lot though.  ;D
      Isaac!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,572 posts | 325 
      Reply #17: Aug 15, 2020 07:39:46 pm
      No your wrong, but your right about Nadal & Federer as it is with Borg & McEnroe  ;D  All played in my era and great players too. Please don't ask me to pick who's best out of them lot though.  ;D

Can't you see why people who like Ronaldo, or think it's close, is like preferring Borg over McEnroe? It's a matter of aesthetics, of beauty.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #18: Aug 15, 2020 07:40:50 pm
      So who's better, its not quite clear from your post. The fact that all Ronaldo's teams were dominant is kind of irrelevant, and also not entirely true in the case of Man Utd who may have won the league but were never totally dominant, Ronaldo has shown he can adapt to other teams and leagues whilst maintaining incredible consistency.

End of the day they are both superb players, Messi more a magician in terms of skill, Ronaldo just a textbook forward in every regard.  If  I had the choice I'd pick Ronaldo every day to be in my team.

Messi has always edged it for me purely because he is more versatile and creative than Ronaldo.

If I had to pick one to fit our style best it would be Messi without question.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #19: Aug 15, 2020 09:11:06 pm
      Iā€™d probably take Ronaldo.

To be honest, same here. Like I said previously, I think Messiā€™s attitude stinks if heā€™s not winning, maybe because he had so much success of winning virtually everything for a number of years with the likes of Xavi and Iniesta. I think when the game is against you, Ronaldo is the player Iā€™d want now; like Juve the other day, they were crap but he nearly pulled them through to the next round. But Messi just strolls around the pitch as if to say ā€œI deserve better than thisā€.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #20: Aug 15, 2020 09:40:08 pm
      To be honest, same here. Like I said previously, I think Messiā€™s attitude stinks if heā€™s not winning, maybe because he had so much success of winning virtually everything for a number of years with the likes of Xavi and Iniesta. I think when the game is against you, Ronaldo is the player Iā€™d want now; like Juve the other day, they were crap but he nearly pulled them through to the next round. But Messi just strolls around the pitch as if to say ā€œI deserve better than thisā€.

Agree, Ronaldo is far more inspiring as a player than Messi imo. His attitude is absolutely incredible and he refuses to lose, thereā€™s been loads of times heā€™s done it but what comes to mind for me is when he scored a hat trick vs Spain in (I think) Euro 2020.

Saying that, Messi is a better natural player and will go down as possibly the greatest ever but Iā€™ve a lot more respect for Ronaldo due to the lengths heā€™s gone to in order to get where he is today.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #21: Aug 15, 2020 09:47:25 pm
      Can't find a thread for this mods but by all means move it if there is one.

Do you know we've had debate over the years who is best? Ronaldo or Messi? I've changed my mind so many times. One min I think Messi and then Ronoaldo based on who had the better season. Now ive come to the conclusion ( and many will disagree ) it's defenitly Ronaldo, and here's why.

Ok we know Messi had has one more ( 6 )Ballon d'or than Ronaldo (5) you could argue during seasons 2009/10/11/12 that Messi was the best and somethng that many would agree on.

However, over the last 7 years Ronaldo has won it 4 times compared to Messi 2.

This is the difference for me that make Ronaldo the greatest player in the world, well at least at the moment till things may change Again.

Ronaldo has done it in Spain, Italy, Portugal & England. More importantly he's been a success every club where he's played for, let's not forget he played in some inferior teams when you compare them with messi. He's been successful on the biggest stage of the world in the World Cup.

Where has Messi done. it? Basically only ever played for one club in the world ( Spain ) Barcalona. He's never done it in the world club even though some of that's down to them not having a great side.

It's well advertised the hardest league in the world to win in is the Premier League. He's never played against our boys. Being at Barcalona week in week out he's playing against inferior opposition and surrounded totally buy world class players in Barcalona. No wonder he's scoring all the time with players like that round him. Ronaldo has never had that luxury and always done it the hard way..

No.... For me Ronaldo over the last ten years deserves to be named the greatest player in the world. It's now official  ;D

Before voting remember Ronaldo not a Manc anymore so don't let it sway your rose tinted glasses..
      Please express opinion but not with one word answers  :lmao:

Tough one to call Keith, I was Messi for long enough but Iā€™m starting to sway towards CR7, for me he has been more consistent, he has plied his trade in three of the worldā€™s top leagues albeit Serie A  not as good as La Liga or indeed the EPL, But yet he has adorned all three with aplomb and continues to do so despite being in his twilight years,

Messi has been the best player ever to have graced the game, however, you canā€™t say that now, he still has abilities that are far and above your average Joe, but old Father Time along with the weight of pressure he has to endure each and every season is taking its toll,

We can all admire his loyalties with the Catalans, but there comes a time where as a professional athlete you need to test yourself and have a different challenge, he has left it too late for that now and as we seen last night his impact as a world class individual has considerably waned,

I like millions of others would liked to have seen him in the EPL, in a environment where his skill would have been brought to the fore, in Spain, if weā€™re all honest there is only a couple of times a year where he would need his unquavering talent V R Madrid, against anyone else he would be on auto-pilot,

As far as Cr7 is concerned he did challenge himself, his relatively short spell in Engurland with your lot set him up for his golden years at the Bernabeau, and of course won all there was to win, including all those Balon Dā€™ors, and when that challenge was deemed no longer a challenge headed for the Old Lady of Turin where he continues to astound & amaze,

Messi May have been at one time the best ever, no one can take that from him, Ronaldo tho has a consistency second to none and has performed at his peak for longer and in different formats, different leagues , different positions etc, that has to have a say in the overall comparison between the two,

So for me, itā€™s why I think Cr7 shades it.

Y  N  W  A
      bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,264 posts | 280 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #22: Aug 15, 2020 09:52:52 pm

Maradona was better than Messi IMO.

If I had to chose, I would have Ronaldo as like KK said heā€™s not such a cry baby as Messi

Quick Reply