Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Who's the best? Ronaldo or Messi.

Read 20457 times
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Re: Who's the best? Ronaldo or Messi.
      Reply #69: Aug 18, 2020 09:31:38 am
      and that there is why i think Ronaldo is the best, he led Portugal to that victory, he is more of a leader than Messi is.

Anyway enough of all this, they are both superb football players, some favour Messi and some favour Ronaldo, I can see arguments for both, but what an honour to have witnessed this era of two great players.

Well said heimdall, a well balanced post for you.  ;D
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #70: Aug 18, 2020 09:47:29 am
      why is Messi better, can you try to break it down, stats might help, or is it purely subjective?

In terms of stats I think Messi has near enough the same amount of goals as Ronaldo despite playing about 150 less games, he also has a lot more assists. More Ballon D'Ors, he also has beaten Ronaldo's most prolific season by quite a margin (61 goals v 73 goals), as well as holding the record for most goals scored in a calendar year (91 in 2012). Messi achieved all of these goal records while playing in a much deeper position than Ronaldo, playing as more of a playmaker whereas Ronaldo's sole purpose was to be a goalscorer, and he still couldn't score more goals than Messi

There's also a big misconception at the minute that Ronaldo is a team player and Messi is a sulker, which I think is quite the opposite. Ronaldo doesn't track back and doesn't work for the team, his game (for the last 6 or 7 years at least) has consisted of staying high up the pitch and conserving his energy to attack in bursts. Not like there's anything really wrong with that, mind. His goals are obviously invaluable for his team(s), but the facts are Messi creates more for the team whilst still outscoring Ronaldo
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,962 posts | 3944 
      Reply #71: Aug 18, 2020 10:06:56 am
      It is reported that Juventus no longer consider Ronaldo 'none-transferable' and could cash in for £54m with PSG keen to sign the 35 year old.
      Get the feeling that some party has a half truth and wishes to embellish the status of a fading superstar, Ronaldo's agent immediately comes to mind.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #72: Aug 18, 2020 10:10:16 am
      In terms of stats I think Messi has near enough the same amount of goals as Ronaldo despite playing about 150 less games, he also has a lot more assists. More Ballon D'Ors, he also has beaten Ronaldo's most prolific season by quite a margin (61 goals v 73 goals), as well as holding the record for most goals scored in a calendar year (91 in 2012). Messi achieved all of these goal records while playing in a much deeper position than Ronaldo, playing as more of a playmaker whereas Ronaldo's sole purpose was to be a goalscorer, and he still couldn't score more goals than Messi

There's also a big misconception at the minute that Ronaldo is a team player and Messi is a sulker, which I think is quite the opposite. Ronaldo doesn't track back and doesn't work for the team, his game (for the last 6 or 7 years at least) has consisted of staying high up the pitch and conserving his energy to attack in bursts. Not like there's anything really wrong with that, mind. His goals are obviously invaluable for his team(s), but the facts are Messi creates more for the team whilst still outscoring Ronaldo

OK, but I slightly disagree that Ronaldo plays in a more advanced position to Messi, both players are first and foremost goal scorers with their teams set up to feed them the ball, otherwise its simply impossible to be getting as many goals as both have over the years. 
      I will however never agree that Messi is more of a team player than Ronaldo, there is clear and documented evidence, see video above for example, of Ronaldo urging his team mates along and acting like a leader and captain, I'm not sure the same is true of Messi.

Another point if that Barcelona have always been set up in an ultra attacking formation for Messi, I'm not sure the same is true of Man Utd, Real Madrid and Juventus.

Anyway as said before, both are supreme footballers, the only thing that irritated me previously was some numpty saying Messi was infinitely better than Ronaldo, that's clearly crap and a very biased subjective view.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #73: Aug 18, 2020 10:22:13 am
      It is reported that Juventus no longer consider Ronaldo 'none-transferable' and could cash in for £54m with PSG keen to sign the 35 year old.
      Get the feeling that some party has a half truth and wishes to embellish the status of a fading superstar, Ronaldo's agent immediately comes to mind.

54 million for a 35 year old.  :o. Obviously these two players passed their sell by date but I'd still take any of them on a free where we just pay wages for a season or so.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #74: Aug 18, 2020 10:28:39 am
      Anyway as said before, both are supreme footballers, the only thing that irritated me previously was some numpty saying Messi was infinitely better than Ronaldo, that's clearly crap and a very biased subjective view.

Yeah, he certainly isn't infinitely better. They've both created their own league, whenever a good player comes through now people constantly talk about whether or not they'll be able to reach "Messi & Ronaldo" heights, which I think is unfair on the player as Messi & Ronaldo are on a space age level which I don't think anybody will can reach, certainly not reach it and stay there for as long as they have
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #75: Aug 18, 2020 10:30:34 am
      54 million for a 35 year old.  :o. Obviously these two players passed their sell by date but I'd still take any of them on a free where we just pay wages for a season or so.

54M that's crazy - you'd have to guess they'd be vouching on shirt sales for that deal to make sense
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,962 posts | 3944 
      Reply #76: Aug 18, 2020 10:59:25 am

Ole would certainly agree with you Keith!
      On reflection that could be a concern for you.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #77: Aug 18, 2020 11:03:50 am
      Ole would certainly agree with you Keith!
      On reflection that could be a concern for you.

Absolutely, if he agrees I'm in trouble  ;D but he won't  ;D
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,952 posts | 217 
      Reply #78: Aug 18, 2020 01:06:21 pm
      54 million and he probably still out score most top strikers
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #79: Aug 18, 2020 01:51:37 pm

Ronaldo is a generational talent that keeps his body and fitness at a ridiculously high level. If fact, there's plenty of men 10 years his younger that wish they had his pace and stamina.

54m is a bargain for him as long as you don't need him to play much defense. He's still gonna score bucket loads of goals.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #80: Aug 19, 2020 01:53:09 am
      Ronaldo is a generational talent that keeps his body and fitness at a ridiculously high level. If fact, there's plenty of men 10 years his younger that wish they had his pace and stamina.

54m is a bargain for him as long as you don't need him to play much defense. He's still gonna score bucket loads of goals.

Spot on and his height in his jump that he gets on his headers, amazes me!

Think him and Virg and Gini (Barcelona game  ;D ) are the only other 2 players that I can remember getting up that high. Ok throw in Dejan against Dortmund.  :D :D
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #81: Sep 29, 2021 10:45:07 pm
      Come on lads admit it  ;D even if your biased you can still say he's the second best player in the world and at worse still in the top 10 for a OAP  ;D

Ps... Calling HR, come in, over!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #82: Sep 30, 2021 08:12:45 am
      Come on lads admit it  ;D even if your biased you can still say he's the second best player in the world and at worse still in the top 10 for a OAP  ;D

He’s still in the top 10 but lower down in the top 10 now.
      Salah, KDB, Lewandowski all definitely ahead of him IMO. Could make a strong case Haaland and Van Dijk are ahead of him too.

For as good as he still is, he’s essentially just a poacher now, I don’t think you are going to get him dominating games like he used to. His instincts in and around the 6 yard box are spot on though so he’s still a 25+ goal a season player.
      « Last Edit: Sep 30, 2021 08:22:16 am by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #83: Sep 30, 2021 09:18:12 am
      Messi is best between these 2, no question, more natural ability and even to this day is doing genius stuff. Ronaldo is to be praised for being an amazing athlete, who has worked like fuk to get where he is.

But Pele is still the all time best.

And I still prefer watching clips of the real ronaldo over the CR7.

And wee Mo is up there with these 2 now too.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #84: Sep 30, 2021 10:41:46 am
      He’s still in the top 10 but lower down in the top 10 now.
      Salah, KDB, Lewandowski all definitely ahead of him IMO. Could make a strong case Haaland and Van Dijk are ahead of him too.

For as good as he still is, he’s essentially just a poacher now, I don’t think you are going to get him dominating games like he used to. His instincts in and around the 6 yard box are spot on though so he’s still a 25+ goal a season player.

Yeah Ive basically stated the same thing in past post ( goal hanger ) yeah it's remarkable at his age he can still be in the top ten. He did me a favour with our £20 bet though.  :f_whistle:
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #85: Sep 30, 2021 12:14:14 pm
      For me Ronaldo has worked his arse off to become to player he is, and all credit to him, but Messi, Messi is different, he was born special.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #86: Sep 30, 2021 12:57:01 pm
      For me Ronaldo has worked his arse off to become to player he is, and all credit to him, but Messi, Messi is different, he was born special.

The fact that everyone debates over the last ten years or so who is best is a testament that both players were. No 1 & 2 in what ever order our opinions are. Both players are truly amazing. Will be interesting to see if Messi can do it at 36  when he gets there.
      UncleBob
      • Spotify Bob
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,135 posts | 567 
      Reply #87: Oct 01, 2021 12:28:34 am
      I think at their peaks Messi was better but ronaldo has maintained a higher level for longer in his career.

Also ronaldo has worked so hard to get to that level that he’s an inspiration to many people. I used to wonder if I stared playing snooker every day for 12 hours, surely after a couple of years I would be great.... well that’s what ronaldo has done.

Messi was just born with natural gifts that most people are not born with.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #88: Oct 01, 2021 10:34:44 am
      I think at their peaks Messi was better but ronaldo has maintained a higher level for longer in his career.

Also ronaldo has worked so hard to get to that level that he’s an inspiration to many people. I used to wonder if I stared playing snooker every day for 12 hours, surely after a couple of years I would be great.... well that’s what ronaldo has done.

Messi was just born with natural gifts that most people are not born with.

That's a pretty good assessment Bob.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #89: Oct 01, 2021 04:56:14 pm

2nd best behind Salah.

Yep sounds fair to me!!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #90: Oct 03, 2021 09:22:24 pm
      Mo Salah!
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #91: Oct 03, 2021 11:05:59 pm
      2nd best behind Salah.

Yep sounds fair to me!!

Does he make top ten over the last decade?

Quick Reply