Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Who's the best? Ronaldo or Messi.

Read 20454 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Who's the best? Ronaldo or Messi.
      Reply #92: Oct 03, 2021 11:46:45 pm
      Does he make top ten over the last decade?

Given his number of goals and assists in the last 5 years, setting new Premier League records, winning the Champions League and Premier League, I think it’s fair to say he does. Remember, since he signed for us, only Lewandowski and Ronaldo have more CL goals than him, not even Messi who is arguably the greatest of all time, scored a ridiculous amount of goals isn’t even ahead of him.

For the dominance of Messi and Ronaldo over the last 12 years or whatever, there has been several times they’ve been given the Balon d’Or because of who they are rather than based on performance. Iniesta, Ribery, Salah, Van Dijk and Lewandowski should all have one to their name in that time and the way Salah and Lewandowski are going at the moment, they should both have been in with a shout of getting a 2nd.

So yes, definitely think Salah is top 10 over the last decade. Don’t forget, at Roma he started to hit the good numbers with 34 goals and 22 assists in just 83 games.
      « Last Edit: Oct 03, 2021 11:53:34 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #93: Oct 04, 2021 04:19:47 am
      Given his number of goals and assists in the last 5 years, setting new Premier League records, winning the Champions League and Premier League, I think it’s fair to say he does. Remember, since he signed for us, only Lewandowski and Ronaldo have more CL goals than him, not even Messi who is arguably the greatest of all time, scored a ridiculous amount of goals isn’t even ahead of him.

For the dominance of Messi and Ronaldo over the last 12 years or whatever, there has been several times they’ve been given the Balon d’Or because of who they are rather than based on performance. Iniesta, Ribery, Salah, Van Dijk and Lewandowski should all have one to their name in that time and the way Salah and Lewandowski are going at the moment, they should both have been in with a shout of getting a 2nd.

So yes, definitely think Salah is top 10 over the last decade. Don’t forget, at Roma he started to hit the good numbers with 34 goals and 22 assists in just 83 games.

Think my opinion on who's the best has changed a few times in the last ten years or so based on the fact sometimes one year it's Messi then another it's Ronaldo. That's why like you I say arguably and wouldn't argue either side based on that.m

It will be interesting to see if Messi can add another two years to his portfolio given Ronaldo is two years older than him. It amazes me how Ronaldo year after year keeps himself in amazing state and never really gets injured which is without doubt due to his training technics.

Salah is probably playing the best football of his life for me at the moment, even better than when he had that crazy year when he scored ( I think ) 32 goals. Yesterday's goal will be contender for goal of the season for sure.

On current form you'd certainly put Salah in the top 5 as he's on fire. Best in the world though? On recent games you could argue that but we don't really based best player in the world on recent games. 
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #94: Oct 04, 2021 10:45:35 pm
      Does he make top ten over the last decade?

F**k yeah!
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #95: Oct 04, 2021 10:48:50 pm
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      Reply #96: Oct 05, 2021 12:05:14 am
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #97: Oct 05, 2021 03:08:57 am
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #98: Nov 02, 2021 10:16:56 pm
      Don't give a Fcuk what anyone says, the old man is still world class.  :)
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,952 posts | 217 
      Reply #99: Nov 02, 2021 11:30:28 pm
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      Reply #100: Nov 04, 2021 11:40:07 pm

:lmao: :lmao:
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #101: Nov 06, 2021 06:15:46 pm
      Who is the best someone asked Ronaldo and he said god said I am the best player, meanwhile Messi said I never said a word
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #102: Nov 17, 2021 12:00:08 am
      Messi.

Even if Penaldo goes on to be better in the latter stages of their careers Messi is the better footballer all things considered.

Messi will be debated as the greatest of all time, with the likes of Maradonna and Pele, Penaldo never comes into such discussions.

Penaldo is top 10 for me but never in the greatest ever discussion, there is hard work, then there is just pure talent, Messi being the latter.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #103: Nov 17, 2021 07:00:27 pm
      there is hard work, then there is just pure talent, Messi being the latter.

Until we broke the midget c**t!!
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #104: Nov 17, 2021 07:10:38 pm

think he still has Robbos palm print on his scalp
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #105: Dec 05, 2021 09:12:10 pm
      Ronaldo for me. He's got everything, Messi hasn't.

If Salah carries on like he is then he will become the greatest player of all time, no doubt about it.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,090 posts | 1631 
      Reply #106: Dec 05, 2021 09:24:14 pm
      Ronaldo for me. He's got everything, Messi hasn't.

If Salah carries on like he is then he will become the greatest player of all time, no doubt about it.

Really ?
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,079 posts | 630 
      Reply #107: Dec 05, 2021 09:38:44 pm

I love our Egyptian king, but I'm afraid that's just recency (and red) bias. Mo will be a Liverpool legend, but greatest player of all time? Not a chance.
      Mo only became world class when he joined us. Messi and Ronaldo have been at it since they were 17... And the way they played in the early 2010s was just out of this world. Scoring 50+ goals every season, with an average of over a goal/game? That was just unheard of.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #108: Dec 05, 2021 09:48:38 pm

He’ll need to do it for another 10 years first.  ;D
      Redman7804
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 570 posts | 267 
      Reply #109: Dec 05, 2021 10:45:05 pm
      Messi hands down

Not a debate
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #110: Dec 06, 2021 12:15:47 pm
      Messi the better baller but Ronaldos goal record is amazing. I think a debate would be closer if Ronaldo never played for utd or had Messi played for them!!

2 greats but as out and out fooball ability Messi
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #111: Dec 06, 2021 12:24:18 pm
      Messi the better baller but Ronaldos goal record is amazing. I think a debate would be closer if Ronaldo never played for utd or had Messi played for them!!

2 greats but as out and out fooball ability Messi

Pretty sure Brian if Ronaldo never played for United more would say him.  ;D you’ll always get fans with rose tints on due to this  :lmao:
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #112: Dec 06, 2021 12:40:46 pm
      Pretty sure Brian if Ronaldo never played for United more would say him.  ;D you’ll always get fans with rose tints on due to this  :lmao:

In fairness to him Ronaldo adapted his game from the days of the stepover to what he does now, Messi as always been Messi.

Messi isnt setting the world on fire at PSG is he? Anyway when were talking to our grandkids in 20 years time well be telling them about these 2, but only longafter Ive told them about Kenny, Stevie, Mo, Barnes Virg Hansen Rushie, God and the rest 😉
      Redman7804
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 570 posts | 267 
      Reply #113: Dec 06, 2021 12:57:21 pm

Ronaldo is brilliant, absolutely brilliant, nothing to do with him being at utd but Messi is better
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #114: Dec 06, 2021 01:03:45 pm
      Ronaldo is brilliant, absolutely brilliant, nothing to do with him being at utd but Messi is better

When some say not a debate trust me it’s coz he’s at United. It’s unquestionably these two have been the best for the last 10/15 years and those that don’t think this  wear rose tints.

Quick Reply