Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Reds to play friendlies against Stuttgart, Salzburg & Blackpool.

Read 16704 times
      Redangel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,084 posts | 966 
      Re: Reds to play friendlies against Stuttgart, Salzburg & Blackpool.
      Reply #207: Sep 05, 2020 04:46:59 pm
      We want 8!!!
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #208: Sep 05, 2020 04:47:46 pm
      Our subs are better than their subs.

The score doesn't mean any more than it did when we were down 0-2. The performance is better this half which is good.

But it's all about getting ready.

Stay steady, Reds.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #209: Sep 05, 2020 04:50:42 pm
      Know its a friendly and all that but this is really bad isn't it?

The 'me' effect.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #210: Sep 05, 2020 04:54:23 pm
      Well aren’t I glad I changed my mind, had a few cones, changed top and watched the second half. What a difference!

Things I learned

Taki is going to be immense for us, he just needs to cut out the exuberant fouls because he will get carded in the league, other then that wow!

Naby has to play as  many games as possible especially when Jordan is not in the team

Matip is a better offensive weapon then Gomez will ever be

In the bit I have seen, Hoever is a much better option of RB back up then Neco Williams

Curtis Jones looks like a natural, so comfortable on the ball and has got some Sort of ability and passing range and finally

F**k I love Bobby Firminio!

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #211: Sep 05, 2020 04:54:58 pm
      In the bit I have seen, Hoever is a much better option of RB back up then Neco Williams

This
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #212: Sep 05, 2020 04:56:18 pm
      Our subs are better than their subs.

The score doesn't mean any more than it did when we were down 0-2. The performance is better this half which is good.

But it's all about getting ready.

Stay steady, Reds.

Sorry but being able to score against Blackpool at home is kind of important and 7 will do very nicely. Very much a game of two halves and we have some very exciting young talent, some of the seniors could maybe take notice and remember what effort and commitment looks like.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #213: Sep 05, 2020 05:01:44 pm
      Really impressed with Curtis Jones.

He was excellent. Seemed to have more time on the ball than everyone else and was a class act. It looks like we've got a player here. It was interesting seeing him play in a deeper role. If i had to give a motm i'd be inclined to give it to Jones
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #214: Sep 05, 2020 05:10:59 pm
      He was excellent. Seemed to have more time on the ball than everyone else and was a class act. It looks like we've got a player here. It was interesting seeing him play in a deeper role. If i had to give a motm i'd be inclined to give it to Jones

Jones was good but it has to be Minamino as MOTM for me.
      LiverpoolsFinest
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 183 posts | 36 
      Reply #215: Sep 05, 2020 05:29:06 pm
      The changes Blackpool made massively disrupted their side; giving them an absolute spanking is the least that we could have done.

I'm sure Jürgen gave them a massive kick up the arse at half time, which may well benefit us this time next week when the proper stuff starts.

bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #216: Sep 05, 2020 06:05:20 pm
      Got some talented kids in the squad aven't we!
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,101 posts | 125 
      Reply #217: Sep 05, 2020 08:50:35 pm
      I dont know if its just me, but when Bobby moved deeper, I thought he started to run the show.  Taki and Nabi were really good, but he made things happen
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #218: Sep 05, 2020 09:27:56 pm
      Sorry but being able to score against Blackpool at home is kind of important and 7 will do very nicely. Very much a game of two halves and we have some very exciting young talent, some of the seniors could maybe take notice and remember what effort and commitment looks like.

So in the first half the sky is falling and then after the 2nd we have done something important.

I swear man, this is you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohDB5gbtaEQ

Scoring at home in a friendly against League One Blackpool is NOT important.

Most of us already knew we had exciting young talent.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #219: Sep 05, 2020 09:38:35 pm
      Jürgen's take on the friendly:

Yeah, it was because of a lack of aggression from our side, a lack of desire a little bit for this game – that’s how it is, playing around. The goals we conceded, yeah, that’s mistakes – it’s typical for pre-season games. But so far I think we conceded pretty much all the goals in similar situations; losing the ball in the build-up, then it’s a counter-attack, it’s a free chance pretty much. We know that and it’s clear we cannot do it like this. We have to improve that. But we have another week to get the legs fresher, again an intense week. We have to use the weeks, we cannot change that. I would love to have always fresh boys with super fresh legs in the games, but that only can work over the year when you do the hard work in the pre-season. That’s what we are doing. We scored a good goal after a nice set-piece in the first half, then all the rest was pretty much like it should be [in the second half] – much more aggressive and we could bring in other fresh legs. That helped obviously. The opponent changed as well. I think Critch has a really good team there; the first XI was really, really good, had a good, nice plan. We played a little bit into their cards. But in the end it’s a pre-season game, important that we have it. Some of the boys could have 90 minutes, which helps as well. Now another week until Leeds – good.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #220: Sep 05, 2020 10:41:06 pm
      So in the first half the sky is falling and then after the 2nd we have done something important.

I swear man, this is you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohDB5gbtaEQ

Scoring at home in a friendly against League One Blackpool is NOT important.

Most of us already knew we had exciting young talent.

That's just like your opinion man, an opinion, not a fact, do you recognise the difference, its kind of like our two halves of football today which were polar opposites.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #221: Sep 06, 2020 07:32:20 am
      That's just like your opinion man, an opinion, not a fact, do you recognise the difference, its kind of like our two halves of football today which were polar opposites.

Isn't almost everything on here an opinion?

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #222: Sep 06, 2020 08:13:06 am
      Isn't almost everything on here an opinion?

That was kind of my point ;-)
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #223: Sep 06, 2020 09:58:10 am
      My take on yesterday's friendly.

Positives

It was great to be able to squeeze in another friendly at short notice. That's 4 including a competitive game last weekend in the Chazza Shield. I know we like to read into things during pre-season but lets not forget it's about physical preparation above all else so in that sense i think we are in as a good a shape as anybody, particularly when you consider the likes of Chelsea and both mancs finished their season 2 weeks after our lads.

Minamino - Started to look like a player now, playing with freedom, has looked really sharp in pre-season and has now bagged a couple of goals. Interesting to see what he can bring this season.

Jones - We've got a player here. Technically he is excellent, also very calm and composed on the ball and he is quite a big lad aswell so physically he could grow into an imposing player. Could save the club a fortune. I think he could be a starter by mid-season.

Hoever - A few have said it, looks like he could be a better option than Neco Williams as cover for Trent but i'd stick with Milner as first option for now.

Keita - Played well yesterday, probably our best player in the first half. I've been saying/thinking for a while that he should play deeper and that's what we saw yesterday. He has a great touch, can wriggle his way out of tight areas, plays with composure and keeps things simply. In a deeper role he is also capable of beating the press and driving forward with the ball (bit like Emre Can used to do when he played as a centre-half from time to time). I think we will see the best of Keita in a deeper midfield role as one of 2. Also good to see him putting some tackles and being more physical yesterday.

Negatives/concerns

Front 3 still look rusty. Bobby looked much better when he dropped deeper in the last 20 minutes. Salah played a few nice passes but didn't get into the game and didn't really threaten. Mane's touch has not looked the best during pre-season.

We beginning to see just how reliant we are on the 2 full-backs, if they are injured or not performing we need to find a way to overcome this.

You would be worried if we had to rely on any of the kids to play at CB in a real game, Phillips, Van De Berg or Hoever are all a year or 2 away from senior football at that position so the sooner we get some genuine cover the better. In the mean-time I would assume that Fabinho is the likely choice.   

ruthcity

• 6,867 posts | 1465 
      Reply #224: Sep 06, 2020 10:39:57 am
      Take nothing away from our kids and Blackpool. They came here to put up a good fight and all our players had to work to get those goals.

To say that putting seven past Blackpool is a given, and we should be doing it, is a bit of a disrespect to them.

To say that we could have done more than to put seven past them and our performance is not a big deal, is also a big disrespect to our players. What more would one expect our players to do? Put another seven past Blackpool blindfolded?

Certain fans want nothing but big big big big wins. If possible, win blindfolded or with 7 men against 11 or by a rugby scoreline and humiliating the opponent. Not most of us. Certain people amongst us.

But we don’t know the exact objectives of the coaching staff. Perhaps it is some game time for certain players, perhaps it is to experiment with different formations and passages of play. We know too little. If you’re part of the coaching staff, own up. Identify yourself as Pep or Peter Krawietz and we’ll all listen to you. Because you know everything.

Otherwise, respect what the coaches are trying to achieve. Respect the players for the efforts. Respect the opposition as much as Anfield respects every visitor, players and staff. Respect our team and our club.

I’d just say it was a good friendly and a good run out for everyone. It’s a friendly. We have little right to demand how the players play.

Football heritage. Respect, Respect.

Quick Reply