Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Chances of retention?

Read 4742 times
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 6,613 posts | 558 
      Chances of retention?
      Aug 20, 2020 09:29:35 am
      Might as well start the debate.

The thought of losing one of our stars never crossed my mind this summer. Which shows how much sh*t Barca are in, our players would much prefer to stay with a team capable of winning stuff than going there - brilliant. Plus Jürgen has made them all better players - Coutinho is only looking half decent as a supersub - that must sh*t the life out of superstars.

But our team looks solid for at least another 2 years, so why can't we retain it.

Against

1) it is bloody difficult
      2) it is very unlikely we can have the same sort of consistency & luck 2 seasons in a row
      3) that's all i've got

For

1) We are the best team by a mile
      2) We have the least amount of new faces & work required in our team\squad
      3) Everyone else looks pretty average, the only team that could improve to catch City is probably Chelsea - but they just don't convince me. Utd are dodgy all over the park apart from the front 3 - Fernandes the messiah looks decent and can take a penalty. Spurs & Arsenal are miles off
      4) We've got a winning spirit
      5) We have Andy Robertson
      6) Most importantly - we have that F***ing monkey off our back

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: Chances of retention?
      Reply #1: Aug 20, 2020 09:41:48 am
      Might as well start the debate.

The thought of losing one of our stars never crossed my mind this summer. Which shows how much sh*t Barca are in, our players would much prefer to stay with a team capable of winning stuff than going there - brilliant. Plus Jürgen has made them all better players - Coutinho is only looking half decent as a supersub - that must sh*t the life out of superstars.

But our team looks solid for at least another 2 years, so why can't we retain it.

Against

1) it is bloody difficult
      2) it is very unlikely we can have the same sort of consistency & luck 2 seasons in a row
      3) that's all i've got

For

1) We are the best team by a mile
      2) We have the least amount of new faces & work required in our team\squad
      3) Everyone else looks pretty average, the only team that could improve to catch City is probably Chelsea - but they just don't convince me. Utd are dodgy all over the park apart from the front 3 - Fernandes the messiah looks decent and can take a penalty. Spurs & Arsenal are miles off
      4) We've got a winning spirit
      5) We have Andy Robertson
      6) Most importantly - we have that f**king monkey off our back

I think we are still the best team but probably not the best squad so we'll need to have continued good fortune with injuries. I think our chances of retaining the league depend more on the opposition than us, can City improve on last year or are they a bit of a busted flush now in terms of tactics, I think the latter although I do think it will be closer than last year.
      As for us we have much less pressure this year but with Klopp I'm sure the same intensity and focus will be there.

All in all I'd have us as favourites to retain the league and if Minamino and Keita can start to show consistency and good form then I have us as firm favourites.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #2: Aug 20, 2020 02:18:25 pm
      I’ll try and comment without the red tinted eyeware, ....

I can’t help but feel buoyant in regards to retaining the title, I’m a humble armchair supporter and physically can’t do sh*t to help our boys out except shout & scream at the TV, and extremely piss off my neighbours, but if I feel as confident as I do then how confident do our boys feel knowing that only they can do what they need to do to be Champions again,
      I believe that the hunger & desire our boys showed last season will be stronger in this campaign than in any other,
      The monkey is indeed off our backs, there is less pressure to win every point and as a group will want to prove we’re not a one season wonder, a lot of folk believe this time round it will be tight, I’m not so sure, we finished season 18/19 a single point behind Citeh, but finished 18points ahead in 19/20,

That’s a massive gap between two sides far and away miles ahead of the rest, City have new untried cb’s to bed in, no D Silva, Kun Aguero another yard slower, and Pep’s tactical awareness is under scrutiny as lesser prem managers proved last season, basically his methods can be got at,

Only Watford got to us last season, the only side to beat us in the league, no one else got even close, we pissed it, let’s be honest, we beat everyone, every single team, we beat them, and I really can’t see us being any different except being better,

Chavs, are the movers & shakers, fat Frank is beginning to stamp his authority, he’s buying big names at big prices, but with it comes big Ego’s, so finding harmony in that dressing room without a few ructions will be miraculous, but if he can get them singing from the same song sheet they could pose a threat, but if they’re a threat to us then the same threat applies to everyone else, so that could help us also,

Mutants, there is no doubt Ole has them working for him, in fairness they have been decent on the eye, however they are still sh*te at the back where Harry and his pedigree chums look like they could concede easily, in Fernandes they have found quality and with Pogba(if he stays) alongside him are fairly potent, however, they are a injury away from disaster anywhere along their spine, with little or no back up, while Rashford keeps fit they will do damage, but other than that, they will not threaten us,

Spuds, going backwards under Maureen, no surprise there, pivotal season for them if they want to retain the services of the King of Nobs Harry K, another potless season will see him banging on the exit door, might see a good cup run, but that’s it for me, we might see a new gaffer there too, so watch this space.

Arse, got to be honest, they look chalk & cheese to what Emery offered up, Arteta has the makings of a good side, especially if PEA & Lacazette hang around, still dodgy at the back but I think that will be remedied in due course, they have a plethora of young fearless lads in their midst and I can see a very good side developing, too early for them to be making inroads but they will surprise a few for sure, dangerous when in the mood, but dead wood has to go starting with Luiz & Ozil.

Not too bothered about anyone else, none will pose too much of a threat to be honest.....

League predictions;

Liverpool
      M City
      Chelsea
      MUtants
      Arsenal
      Wolves
      Leicester
      Spuds
      Saints
      Sheff U
      Brighton
      Burnley
      Leeds U
      Newcastle
      Everton
      A Villa
      C Palace
      W Ham
      Fulham
      W Brom

Won’t be too far away I reckon, might just go put a wee tenner on it 🤪

Y  N  W  A
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #3: Aug 20, 2020 04:05:58 pm
      I’ll try and comment without the red tinted eyeware, ....

I can’t help but feel buoyant in regards to retaining the title, I’m a humble armchair supporter and physically can’t do sh*t to help our boys out except shout & scream at the TV, and extremely piss off my neighbours, but if I feel as confident as I do then how confident do our boys feel knowing that only they can do what they need to do to be Champions again,
      I believe that the hunger & desire our boys showed last season will be stronger in this campaign than in any other,
      The monkey is indeed off our backs, there is less pressure to win every point and as a group will want to prove we’re not a one season wonder, a lot of folk believe this time round it will be tight, I’m not so sure, we finished season 18/19 a single point behind Citeh, but finished 18points ahead in 19/20,

That’s a massive gap between two sides far and away miles ahead of the rest, City have new untried cb’s to bed in, no D Silva, Kun Aguero another yard slower, and Pep’s tactical awareness is under scrutiny as lesser prem managers proved last season, basically his methods can be got at,

Only Watford got to us last season, the only side to beat us in the league, no one else got even close, we pissed it, let’s be honest, we beat everyone, every single team, we beat them, and I really can’t see us being any different except being better,

Chavs, are the movers & shakers, fat Frank is beginning to stamp his authority, he’s buying big names at big prices, but with it comes big Ego’s, so finding harmony in that dressing room without a few ructions will be miraculous, but if he can get them singing from the same song sheet they could pose a threat, but if they’re a threat to us then the same threat applies to everyone else, so that could help us also,

Mutants, there is no doubt Ole has them working for him, in fairness they have been decent on the eye, however they are still sh*te at the back where Harry and his pedigree chums look like they could concede easily, in Fernandes they have found quality and with Pogba(if he stays) alongside him are fairly potent, however, they are a injury away from disaster anywhere along their spine, with little or no back up, while Rashford keeps fit they will do damage, but other than that, they will not threaten us,

Spuds, going backwards under Maureen, no surprise there, pivotal season for them if they want to retain the services of the King of Nobs Harry K, another potless season will see him banging on the exit door, might see a good cup run, but that’s it for me, we might see a new gaffer there too, so watch this space.

Arse, got to be honest, they look chalk & cheese to what Emery offered up, Arteta has the makings of a good side, especially if PEA & Lacazette hang around, still dodgy at the back but I think that will be remedied in due course, they have a plethora of young fearless lads in their midst and I can see a very good side developing, too early for them to be making inroads but they will surprise a few for sure, dangerous when in the mood, but dead wood has to go starting with Luiz & Ozil.

Not too bothered about anyone else, none will pose too much of a threat to be honest.....

League predictions;

Liverpool
      M City
      Chelsea
      MUtants
      Arsenal
      Wolves
      Leicester
      Spuds
      Saints
      Sheff U
      Brighton
      Burnley
      Leeds U
      Newcastle
      Everton
      A Villa
      C Palace
      W Ham
      Fulham
      W Brom

Won’t be too far away I reckon, might just go put a wee tenner on it 🤪

Y  N  W  A

Nice post but I think you are forgetting the defeats to Citeh and Arsenal after the restart. I pretty much agree with your final standings although I have a feeling Chelsea might run City quite close.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #4: Aug 20, 2020 04:26:19 pm
      Will be extremely difficult to repeat.

I like our chances in the Champions League.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      Reply #5: Aug 20, 2020 06:18:20 pm
      Nice post but I think you are forgetting the defeats to Citeh and Arsenal after the restart. I pretty much agree with your final standings although I have a feeling Chelsea might run City quite close.

See what your saying, however after the restart we had lost so much momentum and weren’t truly at the races, had we been I have no doubt we would have gotten the better of those two, so fair enough I did forget about those defeats,
      You might be right regarding the positions 2nd & 3rd, I went for city simply because I think Lampard’s tactical nous isn’t yet up to it imo, but we’ll see.

Y  N  W  A
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #6: Aug 20, 2020 07:14:33 pm
      Think we suffer more than most for the empty stadiums.  Think Klopp feeds off it more than perhaps most other managers.  Energises him and helps him energise the team.

If we have a good injury free season then I'd say we have a strong chance of retaining the title, but I'd suggest that City probably have greater squad strength in their attacking department than we have.  More alternative reliable options.

That could be a pivotal difference in the season ahead.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #7: Aug 20, 2020 07:43:14 pm
      I think we are still the best team but probably not the best squad so we'll need to have continued good fortune with injuries. I think our chances of retaining the league depend more on the opposition than us, can City improve on last year or are they a bit of a busted flush now in terms of tactics, I think the latter although I do think it will be closer than last year.
      As for us we have much less pressure this year but with Klopp I'm sure the same intensity and focus will be there.

All in all I'd have us as favourites to retain the league and if Minamino and Keita can start to show consistency and good form then I have us as firm favourites.

I have City favourites based on two things.
      (1) Squad size and still not finished buying players this summer.

(2) You had a remarkable year with few injuries. Think I've already said there will be record injuries next yeah in the League sadly.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #8: Aug 20, 2020 09:07:35 pm
      You had a remarkable year with few injuries. Think I've already said there will be record injuries next yeah in the League sadly.

Bit of a misconception that is.

Alisson ruled out for 10 league games less than 45mins into the new season was a massive loss, Fabinho for a couple of months, Shaqiri and Keita nearly all season, Salah, Matip, Robbo, Milner, Hendo all spent time out injured amongst others.

I don’t know why people think we were lucky with injuries, far from it.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      Reply #9: Aug 20, 2020 09:32:12 pm
      I have City favourites based on two things.
      (1) Squad size and still not finished buying players this summer.

(2) You had a remarkable year with few injuries. Think I've already said there will be record injuries next yeah in the League sadly.

You missed out the ‘Cheating’ mate, Citeh can’t go a whole season without some form of cheat,

For the record I think you got us totally wrong as far as injuries go, the fact we have avoided any major injury concerns are basically down to how well the players are looked after, Mona Nemmer our superb head of nutrition and the physio team have perfected each and every players ideal diet, on a personal level, what they eat, when they eat, specific foods to take etc,
      and it’s just not foods & diet either, they maximise what and when they will need to be at their optimum, It’s crazy how much fine a detail they go to to ensure the boys stay clear of injuries, of course they still pick up niggles and what not but apart from Ox, Brewster I can’t recall any player being out for months, weeks maybe but the length of time out includes recovery and making sure they are back to match fitness.

Another reason why we have been so consistent the last 2/3 seasons, it’s no coincidence, and it will continue I have absolutely no doubt about that, if you got any spare dollar Keith get yersel down to Billy Hills and stick it on Liverpool doing a Prem & CL Double, with chips .

Y  N  W  A
      therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,116 posts | 147 
      Reply #10: Aug 20, 2020 10:30:20 pm
      Quote. I believe it was from a Herr J Klopp. Not sure who he is.
      We are not going to defend the title. We are going to attack it.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #11: Aug 21, 2020 08:36:10 am
      Bit of a misconception that is.

Alisson ruled out for 10 league games less than 45mins into the new season was a massive loss, Fabinho for a couple of months, Shaqiri and Keita nearly all season, Salah, Matip, Robbo, Milner, Hendo all spent time out injured amongst others.

I don’t know why people think we were lucky with injuries, far from it.

No misconception here KK according to

https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/ranking-pl-clubs-by-the-no-of-games-injured-players-have-missed-in-19-20/

Chavs have Apparantly had the most and states Liverpool are one of the least. Maybe another media page bullshit but that's what it says.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #12: Aug 21, 2020 08:47:02 am

You missed out the ‘Cheating’ mate, Citeh can’t go a whole season without some form of cheat,

For the record I think you got us totally wrong as far as injuries go, the fact we have avoided any major injury concerns are basically down to how well the players are looked after, Mona Nemmer our superb head of nutrition and the physio team have perfected each and every players ideal diet, on a personal level, what they eat, when they eat, specific foods to take etc,
      and it’s just not foods & diet either, they maximise what and when they will need to be at their optimum, It’s crazy how much fine a detail they go to to ensure the boys stay clear of injuries, of course they still pick up niggles and what not but apart from Ox, Brewster I can’t recall any player being out for months, weeks maybe but the length of time out includes recovery and making sure they are back to match fitness.

Another reason why we have been so consistent the last 2/3 seasons, it’s no coincidence, and it will continue I have absolutely no doubt about that, if you got any spare dollar Keith get yersel down to Billy Hills and stick it on Liverpool doing a Prem & CL Double, with chips .

Y  N  W  A

Your right I forgot that sorry.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #13: Aug 21, 2020 08:54:10 am

https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/ranking-pl-clubs-by-the-no-of-games-injured-players-have-missed-in-19-20/

Chavs have Apparantly had the most and states Liverpool are one of the least. Maybe another media page bullshit but that's what it says.

What a weird and crap list, was it written in October 2019?? In any case its completely wrong as regards Liverpool, suggesting that Keita only missed 5 games and Shaquiri only 2 !!!!
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #14: Aug 21, 2020 09:00:17 am
      What a weird and crap list, was it written in October 2019?? In any case its completely wrong as regards Liverpool, suggesting that Keita only missed 5 games and Shaquiri only 2 !!!!

I just Googled it. Pretty sure you've said same thing couple of weeks ago heimdall ???
      Kopite78
      Reply #15: Aug 21, 2020 09:53:52 am

Like any of these lists though they need to be looked out without bias

Chelsea missing Loftus Cheek and Hudson Odoi is hardly as important as us missing Alisson

The same as if we lost say Neco Williams and Sepp van Den Berg and they lost Kante

Or if you lose Bruno and Rashford but spurs lose Tanganga, Vorm and Parrot

Its importance not just amount
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #16: Aug 21, 2020 10:00:00 am
      Like any of these lists though they need to be looked out without bias

Chelsea missing Loftus Cheek and Hudson Odoi is hardly as important as us missing Alisson

The same as if we lost say Neco Williams and Sepp van Den Berg and they lost Kante

Or if you lose Bruno and Rashford but spurs lose Tanganga, Vorm and Parrot

Its importance not just amount
      Yeah I know, just copied and pasted what I read Kopite. You certainly wouldn't want to lose  Alisson & VVD at the same time.
      « Last Edit: Aug 21, 2020 10:21:36 am by Keith Singleton »
      Kopite78
      Reply #17: Aug 21, 2020 10:04:58 am
      Yeah I know, just copied and pasted what I read Kopite. You certainly wouldn't want to Alisson & VVD at the same time.

No I wouldn't

And you cant say that list is definitive list either and say such and such had worse injuries than others

Depends who's out and their importance
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #18: Aug 21, 2020 10:25:28 am
      Perhaps our sports science and medical staff are quite good, or the drugs the players are injected with are the really good sh*t
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,447 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #19: Aug 21, 2020 10:51:50 am
      If we start season well, we will run away with it again. I think City are too ropey at the back to get anywhere the 90 odd points required, chavs on the up, but still not consistent enough and ropey at back, actually that can be said about all of the top 6 except us. were the most solid at the back by miles.

This team is a machine, and the fringe squad players will provide better backup this year, shaq, tacki, naby, ox etc. will be pushing for more starts.

And if this new LB is as good as we hope, robbo can be rested more, keeping him top form.

Young williams now pushing trent.

Squad looks class tbh. Lovren has left a bit of a gap in CB, but hopefully one of the younger lads steps up.

lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #20: Aug 21, 2020 12:30:41 pm
      Quote from billythered

Another reason why we have been so consistent the last 2/3 seasons, it’s no coincidence, and it will continue I have absolutely no doubt about that, if you got any spare dollar Keith get yersel down to Billy Hills and stick it on Liverpool doing a Prem & CL Double, with chips .                                                                         Y  N  W  A

He declared City favourites for the title next season here, because of our last game against them. The bookies have also declared them as favourites. They never learn, do they?

He is wrong about the injuries, but he's not the only one. Alisson out for months, Matip and Lovren out for months, Fabinho out for 2 months, Hendo out for weeks, Salah managing the effect of an assault by a Hair Bag from Leicester for weeks. Mane had no pre season. Just a few random examples. But VVD played every game, so the wider view is that we didn't suffer any major injuries.

Quote from JD
      Think we suffer more than most for the empty stadiums.  Think Klopp feeds off it more than perhaps most other managers.  Energises him and helps him energise the team.

Their job is to play games, whether it's in front of 50,000 or 50. We won 3 of our 4 home games post lockdown, taking 10 points and scoring 12 goals. It's the same situation for every team, they all have to make the best they can of it.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #21: Aug 21, 2020 12:48:46 pm
      He declared City favourites for the title next season here, because of our last game against them. The bookies have also declared them as favourites. They never learn, do they?

He is wrong about the injuries, but he's not the only one. Alisson out for months, Matip and Lovren out for months, Fabinho out for 2 months, Hendo out for weeks, Salah managing the effect of an assault by a Hair Bag from Leicester for weeks. Mane had no pre season. Just a few random examples. But VVD played every game, so the wider view is that we didn't suffer any major injuries.

Their job is to play games, whether it's in front of 50,000 or 50. We won 3 of our 4 home games post lockdown, taking 10 points and scoring 12 goals. It's the same situation for every team, they all have to make the best they can of it.

He didn't say the players or anyone are making excuses or that they won't give their all. Just that our team gets more of a lift from our support than other teams, and I noticed that on my very first trip to England more than 20 years ago. There is something extra about the atmosphere at Anfield. It's not just a slogan or cliche. That lift becomes even more important with the way Jürgen's teams play. Along with the footballing excellence, it requires a lot of emotion and our support gives that a boost.

Take that away and it impacts us more than other teams. Doesn't mean we can't win, but it's a real factor.
      « Last Edit: Aug 21, 2020 08:10:52 pm by Robby The Z »
      glennusmc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,638 posts | 449 
      Reply #22: Aug 21, 2020 12:49:24 pm

If we have a good injury free season then I'd say we have a strong chance of retaining the title, but I'd suggest that City probably have greater squad strength in their attacking department than we have.  More alternative reliable options.

That could be a pivotal difference in the season ahead.

This ^^^^

Anfield is not a Fortress without the fans.

Quick Reply