Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

UEFA Champions League 2020-21: Winners Chelsea

Read 39225 times
      Isaac!
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,572 posts | 325 
      Re: UEFA Champions League 2020-21
      Reply #115: Dec 08, 2020 11:01:40 pm
      OK let me give you a few examples of how a white person can suffer racism:

1) I was working in an IT team, doing a good job, all good. My colleague who is BAME sods off on unofficial gardening leave for half a year and as soon as he clicks his fingers takes my job despite me showing the boss, also BAME, that I worked harder than him was more effective and had better customer feedback. BTW both me and the colleague are contractors so no HR, not that it would make any difference.

2) The way Eastern Europeans are treated in the UK, with the women often branded as prostitutes. BTW I consider Xenophobia the same as racism.

3) a recent job advert at the BBC saying it was only open to BAME people.

BTW I of course acknowledge that BAME people have suffered a lot of racism in the past but I'm yet to be convinced by white privilege in 2020, when it's a fact that the least privileged group now is poor white people.

As I said I am more than happy to hear more about this and to learn more.

Number 1 - I suspect you're making this up, exaggerating, or leaving out relevant facts. Regardless, look at the language you use. Your colleague "sods off" on leave and only has to "click his fingers" to take your job which you claim to be far more deserving of. It's just so easy for minorities isn't it, they have so much power they can do as they like! In the extraordinarily unlikely circumstances that this is an honest representation of what happened do you really believe this is typical of ethnic minority experience in the work place? That this one personal experience can represent the whole?

If I believed your claim that you were happy to learn more about the subject I'd give you some titles and authors. If you wanted to understand the issue better you would have already educated yourself on it and woud not make posts like the one quoted.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #116: Dec 08, 2020 11:36:50 pm
      Well based on the players reaction whatever the official said it was pretty f**king hurtful and taken in a racist context.

You may not believe a man called "that black guy" by another man of different skin colour is in any way racist fine that's your opinion.

The player tonight did take offence to it, so if he feels strongly this way at being referred to as a "black guy", and not just another person, then maybe we should shut up and listen we might actually see from his perspective.

The description or comment wasnā€™t aimed at the player that took offense. It was at one of the coaching staff the other player heard it and took offense. I think context is important here there was a commotion on the bench to which one of the coaching staff was in the thick of and was overzealous in his protest. Thatā€™s what brought the officials attention to which he made the main ref aware of and when asked who it was he responded as ā€œthe black guy over thereā€ he wasnā€™t an onfield  player nor a bench one for that matter so the argument around him knowing his name or number is flawed.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #117: Dec 09, 2020 12:38:56 am
      Well based on the players reaction whatever the official said it was pretty f**king hurtful and taken in a racist context.

You may not believe a man called "that black guy" by another man of different skin colour is in any way racist fine that's your opinion.

The player tonight did take offence to it, so if he feels strongly this way at being referred to as a "black guy", and not just another person, then maybe we should shut up and listen we might actually see from his perspective.

I try not to refer to people by the color of their skin if I can absolutely help it, but if itā€™s literally the only way to be able to prominently identify someone then I think you have to show a little leeway where itā€™s a situation where identification of said person is deemed important.

I have no idea what the context of this specific situation is so I canā€™t comment on that, but I will say that I canā€™t control what someone else takes offense to so other than not being blatantly offensive what are you supposed to do if the offending party is just being a thin skinned tit?

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #118: Dec 09, 2020 05:26:23 am
      What should he refer to him as then, "that c**t who scored when Stevie G slipped" 🤔😉.

I don't give a sh*t if you were joking or not mate but I don't want to see those words posted by anyone, ever again on this Forum!!!

and I'm not talking about "that c**t who scored"!!! Fucks sake. For me, those words rank up alongside that Rag of a newspaper!!!
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #119: Dec 09, 2020 07:19:07 am
      I wonder if we'll ever learn exactly what was said, in what context and hear from the official what he was trying to indicate with his words.

Seems like all of those things are important for us to know before any judgment is reached.

It's an extremely serious thing to accuse someone of. Has to be vetted with all professionalism, fairness and seriousness.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #120: Dec 09, 2020 09:35:14 am
      Number 1 - I suspect you're making this up, exaggerating, or leaving out relevant facts. Regardless, look at the language you use. Your colleague "sods off" on leave and only has to "click his fingers" to take your job which you claim to be far more deserving of. It's just so easy for minorities isn't it, they have so much power they can do as they like! In the extraordinarily unlikely circumstances that this is an honest representation of what happened do you really believe this is typical of ethnic minority experience in the work place? That this one personal experience can represent the whole?

If I believed your claim that you were happy to learn more about the subject I'd give you some titles and authors. If you wanted to understand the issue better you would have already educated yourself on it and woud not make posts like the one quoted.

In that IT team I was the only White employee in a team of 10, so tell me again about my White privilege in that situation, my line manager was BAME and his manager was BAME. It is absolutely an accurate account of what happened, I worked alongside this colleague for 2 years, consistently getting better results, that is not subjective its objective according to hard data of cases solved, customer satisfaction feedback etc. He leaves the company then half a year later decides he wants back in, and replaces me at the drop of a hat. The fact that you disbelieve that story says a lot more about you then it does about me, for one thing it shows that you are narrow minded.

I'm more than happy to have a grown up conversation about racism, I think the world desperately needs to have that conversation, but the stock answer we get it is that we need to educate ourselves, how when no one is willing to teach?????????
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #121: Dec 09, 2020 09:38:21 am
      I don't give a sh*t if you were joking or not mate but I don't want to see those words posted by anyone, ever again on this Forum!!!

and I'm not talking about "that c**t who scored"!!! Fucks sake. For me, those words rank up alongside that Rag of a newspaper!!!

???? What are you on about? I honestly have no idea what you are referring to?
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #122: Dec 09, 2020 09:46:40 am

Think heā€™s talking about the ā€œslipā€ i think...
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #123: Dec 09, 2020 09:48:23 am
      I wonder if we'll ever learn exactly what was said, in what context and hear from the official what he was trying to indicate with his words.

Seems like all of those things are important for us to know before any judgment is reached.

It's an extremely serious thing to accuse someone of. Has to be vetted with all professionalism, fairness and seriousness.

Television footage appeared to show Coltescu saying in Romanian, ā€œThe black one over there. Go and check who he is. The black one over there, itā€™s not possible to act like thatā€ after Webo vehemently protested against a refereeing decision.

Someone please tell me what is racist about that, honestly I want to understand. Is it the word Black which is offensive, in which case how should he have referred to the individual, should he in future just point, should he learn the names and faces of all coaching staff and subs etc??  I swear I'm not taking the piss or trying to cause offence here, but I just don't get the implied offence in this situation, to me its the same as saying that short one, that blond one, that English one etc.

We have to stop taking offence at everything otherwise free speech as we know it is dead, everyone will be terrified of having a conversation with a person from another race as anything can be misconstrued. If that happens then far from creating unity we will create tension, fear and ironically more racism, but it will be below the surface where it will fester and become something truly ugly and scary. We are already starting seeing this with the re-emergence of far right hate groups in recent years, its quite scary.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #124: Dec 09, 2020 10:36:56 am
      Television footage appeared to show Coltescu saying in Romanian, ā€œThe black one over there. Go and check who he is. The black one over there, itā€™s not possible to act like thatā€ after Webo vehemently protested against a refereeing decision.

Someone please tell me what is racist about that, honestly I want to understand. Is it the word Black which is offensive, in which case how should he have referred to the individual, should he in future just point, should he learn the names and faces of all coaching staff and subs etc??  I swear I'm not taking the piss or trying to cause offence here, but I just don't get the implied offence in this situation, to me its the same as saying that short one, that blond one, that English one etc.

We have to stop taking offence at everything otherwise free speech as we know it is dead, everyone will be terrified of having a conversation with a person from another race as anything can be misconstrued. If that happens then far from creating unity we will create tension, fear and ironically more racism, but it will be below the surface where it will fester and become something truly ugly and scary. We are already starting seeing this with the re-emergence of far right hate groups in recent years, its quite scary.

Its disgraceful really. It wasnt any bit racist what the referee has said. The assistant was in a trenchcoat and the only black person among whites, how can he identify him to the official ?

Its ironic that is the Turkish President who is making a fuss, turkey which is know for racism against syrians and kurds.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #125: Dec 09, 2020 11:22:33 am
      It looks like Micah Richards has taken a logical view to the situation.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #126: Dec 09, 2020 11:34:48 am
      It looks like Micah Richards has taken a logical view to the situation.

Micah Richards stated that Demba Ba has every right to be upset at the official shouting "the black one" twice at the assistant if he feels it was insulting, but that playing devils advocate he himself would not consider being called a black guy out of a group as racist, perhaps just ignorant. However, Richards stated he does not know all the facts, and the fact both teams walked off maybe there was something more to how the official shouted at the Basaksehir assistant Webo.
      « Last Edit: Dec 09, 2020 11:39:50 am by bazspeedman »
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,952 posts | 217 
      Reply #127: Dec 09, 2020 08:50:24 pm

He said that black guy in Romanian and black in Romanian is negra I think damba just heard the negro and lost his head

But apparently the coach was calling The refs Romanian gypsies that is why the ref came over to give the red card
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #128: Dec 09, 2020 10:39:30 pm

I couldn't even type that S word next to Stevie's name...make me sick thinking about it and all the sh*t he copped from rival fans. I will forever despise that moment in our History.
      WeAreMenOfShanklysBest
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 396 posts | 114 
      • up the reds
      Reply #129: Dec 10, 2020 09:59:29 am
      Lazio, Barca, Atletico, Sevilla, Monchengladbach, Porto, RB Leipzig the possible opponents in the next round.

Bring on anyone of course but I think Iā€™d rather avoid the Spanish teams for now.

Looking forward to the draw Monday.
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,464 posts | 228 
      Reply #130: Dec 14, 2020 11:01:30 am
      Round of 16 draw coming up in the next few mins on BT Sport.
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,464 posts | 228 
      Reply #131: Dec 14, 2020 11:18:23 am
      We have Leipzeig. Let's go!

Return game at Annfield.
      « Last Edit: Dec 14, 2020 11:23:52 am by nelioneil »
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #132: Feb 04, 2021 09:15:31 pm

Liverpool cannot travel to Germany for RB Leipzig Champions League tie

Liverpool will not be able to travel to Germany for the first leg of their Champions League last-16 tie against RB Leipzig on 16 February.

Germany has banned most travellers from countries, including the UK, hit hard by new variants of Covid-19.

A German interior ministry statement said Bundesliga club Leipzig had been told the fixture "does not meet the requirements for an exception".

Uefa said it was "in touch with the respective clubs" about the tie.

Liverpool are being kept informed of developments as discussions take place about a solution.

European football's governing body Uefa has updated its regulations for the knockout stages of the Champions League and Europa League amid the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

If restrictions imposed in a country could result in a match not taking place, "the home club must propose a suitable alternative venue, which may be in a neutral country".

However, if the host club fails to do that and it is not possible to play the game at another venue or on a different date, Uefa says it will deem the match to have been forfeited, with the home side losing 3-0.

With Germany's restrictions in place until 17 February, an option could be to reverse the tie so Liverpool host the first leg. The second leg is scheduled to take place on 10 March.

Uefa added: "In all cases, the venue of a match must be approved by the Uefa administration, which has the right to assign an alternative venue for any particular match or even to decide that either or both legs of the relevant round to be rescheduled and/or played in a neutral country (within the territory of a Uefa member association) and/or organised as a single-leg.

"These decisions are final."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55941213

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #133: Feb 05, 2021 09:20:50 am

Liverpool cannot travel to Germany for RB Leipzig Champions League tie

Liverpool will not be able to travel to Germany for the first leg of their Champions League last-16 tie against RB Leipzig on 16 February.

Germany has banned most travellers from countries, including the UK, hit hard by new variants of Covid-19.

A German interior ministry statement said Bundesliga club Leipzig had been told the fixture "does not meet the requirements for an exception".

Uefa said it was "in touch with the respective clubs" about the tie.

Liverpool are being kept informed of developments as discussions take place about a solution.

European football's governing body Uefa has updated its regulations for the knockout stages of the Champions League and Europa League amid the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

If restrictions imposed in a country could result in a match not taking place, "the home club must propose a suitable alternative venue, which may be in a neutral country".

However, if the host club fails to do that and it is not possible to play the game at another venue or on a different date, Uefa says it will deem the match to have been forfeited, with the home side losing 3-0.

With Germany's restrictions in place until 17 February, an option could be to reverse the tie so Liverpool host the first leg. The second leg is scheduled to take place on 10 March.

Uefa added: "In all cases, the venue of a match must be approved by the Uefa administration, which has the right to assign an alternative venue for any particular match or even to decide that either or both legs of the relevant round to be rescheduled and/or played in a neutral country (within the territory of a Uefa member association) and/or organised as a single-leg.

"These decisions are final."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55941213

Forfeit forfeit forfeit!!! ;-)
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,264 posts | 796 
      Reply #134: Feb 11, 2021 06:11:23 pm
      Seen somewhere (can't remember where) that we may have to play our home leg against Leipzig at a neutral venue as the German government state if Leipzig travel to Liverpool they'll have to quarantine for 10 days on their return.

Surely that's not our problem and we shouldn't have to give up our home advantage for them having to quarantine.

Though going by our recent home form it may not be a bad thing.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #135: Feb 13, 2021 09:26:01 pm
      Seen somewhere (can't remember where) that we may have to play our home leg against Leipzig at a neutral venue as the German government state if Leipzig travel to Liverpool they'll have to quarantine for 10 days on their return.

Surely that's not our problem and we shouldn't have to give up our home advantage for them having to quarantine.

Though going by our recent home form it may not be a bad thing.

We're playing the first leg in Hungary, so they're having to travel outside of Germany anyway. As far as I know the 2nd leg still scheduled for Anfield.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #136: Feb 15, 2021 11:00:48 am
      It's ours.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #137: Feb 17, 2021 08:56:32 pm
      Dortmund's best performance for a long time. Mind you with their defence nothing is guaranteed

Quick Reply