Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Messi to leave Barca

Read 19983 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Re: Messi to leave Barca
      Reply #23: Aug 26, 2020 05:18:02 pm
      Hahaha as of he'll end up at City, he won't come to this country and it'll be due to how much tax he'll have to pay. If he can leave for free he'll end up in Italy.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #24: Aug 26, 2020 05:44:06 pm
      I think if he really wants to go then he's gone. If Barca dig their heels and we end up with a situation where courts and legal teams are needed then the damage will be irreparable. To the point where he'll probably just ostracize himself and won't play, and Barca can't afford to give £1M a week to Lionel Messi if he isn't going to play
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #25: Aug 26, 2020 09:13:50 pm
      Coming to LFC...
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #26: Aug 26, 2020 11:40:35 pm
      So our front three would be Salah, Firmino and Mane?
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #27: Aug 26, 2020 11:44:14 pm
      Hahaha as of he'll end up at City, he won't come to this country and it'll be due to how much tax he'll have to pay. If he can leave for free he'll end up in Italy.

PSG for me, easy money, easy league.

I agree he won't come here,, PAYE would kill him.
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #28: Aug 27, 2020 02:24:50 am

If he joined City, they can still only play 11 at a time so someone has to sit down. Do you sit down one of their offensive players? Which one? Do you sit one of their more defensive minded players when their defense is already suspect? I think he'd improve them, but I don't think he makes them unstoppable.

Pretty simple really.

Sterling         Aguero          Messi

And if those 3 get injured he plays Torres, Jesus and Mahrez.

City just play by their own rules.

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #29: Aug 27, 2020 05:24:55 am
      He's coming to LFC ....the whole Thiago thing has been a smokescreen!  :D :D :D
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #30: Aug 27, 2020 08:33:56 am
      Pretty simple really.

Won’t happen. If he was to go to City I read that it will cost them up to half a billion and they won’t take a risk like that. The only way he goes to City is if they sell several players with Mahrez and/or Silva being among them.

It’s PSG or the Middle East if he does leave. But he won’t.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #31: Aug 27, 2020 08:50:58 am
      He's coming to LFC ....the whole Thiago thing has been a smokescreen!  :D :D :D

I know you are joking but I honestly would not like him to come here, he would be the kind of signing that disrupts the team. Similarly I think Chelsea are making way to many signings all at once, its going to take time for that new team to settle in, plus they have a load of new egos to contend with, is Lampard going to be able to handle that?
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #32: Aug 27, 2020 09:30:35 am

I know it's absolutely not going to happen but I bet he'd love to play here. If United weren't in such a state I'm sure he'd rather play there than Manchester City too. Pep or not, it must annoy him that the only viable way for him to play in the biggest league in the world involves swapping the 90,000 sellout colosseum of the Camp Nou for a 3/4 full Etihad bowl

Quite incredible that one of, if not the best player in the world will be available on a free and hardly anybody will be in for him
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #33: Aug 27, 2020 11:29:23 am
      I know it's absolutely not going to happen but I bet he'd love to play here. If United weren't in such a state I'm sure he'd rather play there than Manchester City too. Pep or not, it must annoy him that the only viable way for him to play in the biggest league in the world involves swapping the 90,000 sellout colosseum of the Camp Nou for a 3/4 full Etihad bowl

Quite incredible that one of, if not the best player in the world will be available on a free and hardly anybody will be in for him

He's not going anywhere, if his contract specifies a date then the pandemic has zero effect on that.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #34: Aug 27, 2020 11:58:10 am
      He's not going anywhere, if his contract specifies a date then the pandemic has zero effect on that.

Do you reckon they'll stand in his way if he truly wants to go? The understanding between the two parties would have been that he can leave at the end of every season, if Barca dig their heels and use a pandemic to block the move I can't see there being any working relationship going forward, so it would probably be better to let him go than paying out £1M a week to keep him if it gets to that point.

That said I wouldn't be surprised if he changed his mind once the dust has settled, there aren't many decent options out there for him due to his salary expectations
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #35: Aug 27, 2020 12:23:34 pm
      Do you reckon they'll stand in his way if he truly wants to go? The understanding between the two parties would have been that he can leave at the end of every season, if Barca dig their heels and use a pandemic to block the move I can't see there being any working relationship going forward, so it would probably be better to let him go than paying out £1M a week to keep him if it gets to that point.

That said I wouldn't be surprised if he changed his mind once the dust has settled, there aren't many decent options out there for him due to his salary expectations

Do you think Barcelona will just let Messi walk on a free if they can get £100m+ for him, don't be daft!
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #36: Aug 27, 2020 12:37:52 pm
      Do you think Barcelona will just let Messi walk on a free if they can get £100m+ for him, don't be daft!

Sorry, on what planet are they going to get £100M+ for him? If clubs can just about afford his wages then there'll be no way that they will be able to afford a £100M+ fee on top of that.

If they do stand in his way then he'll be able to leave on a free again in 10 months time, so they'll be paying about £60M to keep an unhappy player at the club for a season. It doesn't make sense
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #37: Aug 27, 2020 01:05:11 pm

He has a €70 million release clause.

And no one will pay that so it's either let him leave for free, go to court, or risk your best player downing tools until his contract expires next year which will only hinder the club even more.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #38: Aug 27, 2020 01:11:53 pm

And no one will pay that so it's either let him leave for free, go to court, or risk your best player downing tools until his contract expires next year which will only hinder the club even more.

€700 million
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #39: Aug 27, 2020 01:25:42 pm
      He says he wants to finish off his career with his home town club. This gives him the chance to do it. Legally, it looks like Barcelona's case is stronger than his. So I wouldn't recommend him taking them to court. He's already lost one court case already.

I saw Higuain's comments about him playing in England, and I agree with them. At 33 years old, he doesn't seem to have the will to change and adapt as you have to, to survive in our league. Off the pitch, he doesn't seem to have the will to learn English (or whatever the host club's main language is) either. Unlike Pele who was brave enough to experience a different football culture, and learn English, which alone opened up other doors for him after his career ended.

A native French teacher told me years ago, that it doesn't matter how good you are, if you can't speak English, you're "disabled". I think that's as true now as it ever was. Someone who mercifully can speak English, is Suarez. If Koeman doesn't want him around, I would take him back, as back up to the front three.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #40: Aug 27, 2020 01:25:49 pm

No way?

For F**k sake!  :lmao:
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #41: Aug 27, 2020 01:58:55 pm

Seems absolutely pointless to even bother with a minimum release clause when he's got another clause which allows him to leave for free every summer.

Like buying 15 separate locks & an alarm system for your house, but leaving the door wide open when you go to bed
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #42: Aug 27, 2020 03:52:09 pm

erm you missed off a zero, his release clause is €700m, and to answer the other poster, yes I think someone would definitely pay £100m to sign Messi, they'd probably make that in shirt sales in the first week.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #43: Aug 27, 2020 03:54:37 pm
      Seems absolutely pointless to even bother with a minimum release clause when he's got another clause which allows him to leave for free every summer.

Like buying 15 separate locks & an alarm system for your house, but leaving the door wide open when you go to bed

Except in the current situation where he wants to leave but Barcelona have no reason to let him go cheap. I'm not suggestign he goes for €700m but they could easily get £100m+ form one of these petro dollar or Chinese clubs.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #44: Aug 27, 2020 04:04:42 pm
      erm you missed off a zero, his release clause is €700m, and to answer the other poster, yes I think someone would definitely pay £100m to sign Messi, they'd probably make that in shirt sales in the first week.

Why would somebody pay £100M for a player when they can get him for nothing in 10 months time? Absolutely no club would pay that much for Messi right now, no matter how rich they are - it'd be horrific business.

Except in the current situation where he wants to leave but Barcelona have no reason to let him go cheap. I'm not suggestign he goes for €700m but they could easily get £100m+ form one of these petro dollar or Chinese clubs.

Nobody predicted this current situation though - if there wasn't a pandemic he'd have left for free at the end of the season as the clause is valid for a few weeks after the campaign is supposed to finish. Take away the freak situation we're currently in and the only window where that release clause is relevant is the winter window - as under normal circumstances he can leave for free every summer. Nobody would pay £100m + for a player who would be available for free in 6 months time. So yeah, it was a pointless clause
      « Last Edit: Aug 27, 2020 04:22:55 pm by TameImpala »
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,952 posts | 217 
      Reply #45: Aug 27, 2020 04:39:35 pm
      Pretty simple really.

So no room for  Bernado Silva

Quick Reply