Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Messi to leave Barca

Read 20417 times
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,821 posts | 2452 
      Re: Messi to leave Barca
      Reply #46: Aug 27, 2020 04:50:41 pm

Bernardo and Foden will be playing the David Silva role over the next few seasons I'd assume.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #47: Aug 27, 2020 05:08:32 pm
      Why would somebody pay £100M for a player when they can get him for nothing in 10 months time? Absolutely no club would pay that much for Messi right now, no matter how rich they are - it'd be horrific business.

Nobody predicted this current situation though - if there wasn't a pandemic he'd have left for free at the end of the season as the clause is valid for a few weeks after the campaign is supposed to finish. Take away the freak situation we're currently in and the only window where that release clause is relevant is the winter window - as under normal circumstances he can leave for free every summer. Nobody would pay £100m + for a player who would be available for free in 6 months time. So yeah, it was a pointless clause

The reason someone would pay £100m is because they want to buy Messi and someone else might also be willing to pay close to that amount, do I need to go into more details about how transfers work??
      If you honestly don't think one of these petro dollar or chinese/arab clubs would be able to pay that amount then you are living in cloud cuckoo land.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #48: Aug 27, 2020 05:53:59 pm
      The reason someone would pay £100m is because they want to buy Messi and someone else might also be willing to pay close to that amount, do I need to go into more details about how transfers work??
      If you honestly don't think one of these petro dollar or chinese/arab clubs would be able to pay that amount then you are living in cloud cuckoo land.

F***ing hell 😂😂😂

Why would ANY club pay 100M or anything close to that for him when he's available for free every summer?

If you wanted to buy a new car and it cost £10,000, but the dealership was giving them away for free in six months time, would you fork out ten grand there & then? Of course you wouldn't

But back to the original point, the £700M release fee doesn't change anything because Barca can still reject any bids below that at their discretion. All the clause does is force Barca to accept any bids over 700M, it's such a large fee that it'll have no impact whatsoever on what any club would offer, if they were stupid enough to make an offer for him in the first place

Feel like my brain has turned to mashed potato explaining that

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,214 posts | 8569 
      Reply #49: Aug 27, 2020 05:58:40 pm
      Do you think Barcelona will just let Messi walk on a free if they can get £100m+ for him, don't be daft!

Clauses in the contract etc, no one is paying £100 million for Messi.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #50: Aug 27, 2020 08:57:52 pm
      F***ing hell 😂😂😂

Why would ANY club pay 100M or anything close to that for him when he's available for free every summer?

If you wanted to buy a new car and it cost £10,000, but the dealership was giving them away for free in six months time, would you fork out ten grand there & then? Of course you wouldn't

But back to the original point, the £700M release fee doesn't change anything because Barca can still reject any bids below that at their discretion. All the clause does is force Barca to accept any bids over 700M, it's such a large fee that it'll have no impact whatsoever on what any club would offer, if they were stupid enough to make an offer for him in the first place

Feel like my brain has turned to mashed potato explaining that

You could make the same argument about any player couldn't you, just wait for their contract to run out and get them for free, unfortunately in the real world you often have more than one club after a player and the current owners not wanting to sell or give him away, this would certainly be true of Messi, therefore if someone wants him now instead of June 2021 they would have to pay Barcelona.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #51: Aug 27, 2020 08:59:33 pm
      Clauses in the contract etc, no one is paying £100 million for Messi.

The clause in the contract says 30th June, that date has passed therefore clubs either pay to get him now or wait until June 2021.
      leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,011 posts | 273 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Reply #52: Aug 27, 2020 09:09:26 pm
      Why would anyone pay 100 million for a player that, on top of that is making like 2 million Euros per month, it's just and absurd amount of money that could get you 3-4 top players.

Even if you sella lot of shirts, that doesn't cover the fee, not even close, he gets a good part of those sales and Nike does too in Barcelona.

Anyway, read today that their president said that he'll quit if Messi stays, so that's probably what's going to happen.

If it was my call, I'll let him go for free just to get in off the wage bill.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #53: Aug 27, 2020 10:23:50 pm
      Why would anyone pay 100 million for a player that, on top of that is making like 2 million Euros per month, it's just and absurd amount of money that could get you 3-4 top players.

Even if you sella lot of shirts, that doesn't cover the fee, not even close, he gets a good part of those sales and Nike does too in Barcelona.

Anyway, read today that their president said that he'll quit if Messi stays, so that's probably what's going to happen.

If it was my call, I'll let him go for free just to get in off the wage bill.

Getting him off the wage bill is actually a good point but doing that PLUS getting a transfer fee is even better
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #54: Aug 27, 2020 11:06:59 pm
      You could make the same argument about any player couldn't you, just wait for their contract to run out and get them for free, unfortunately in the real world you often have more than one club after a player and the current owners not wanting to sell or give him away, this would certainly be true of Messi, therefore if someone wants him now instead of June 2021 they would have to pay Barcelona.

I really don't think you could make the same argument for any player. Lionel Messi is Lionel Messi. Name me any other world class footballer with a clause in their contract which allows them to leave for free every summer if they wish? Messi holds more power at Barcelona than probably any player has ever held at any other club in the history of football.

My opinion is that if he really wants to leave, then he'll be off before this window closes. Probably for nothing, maybe for a small fee if the three parties come to some sort of agreement which compensates Barcelona, but certainly not for anything near £100M
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,751 posts | 6722 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #55: Aug 28, 2020 02:33:09 am
      I know you are joking but I honestly would not like him to come here, he would be the kind of signing that disrupts the team. Similarly I think Chelsea are making way to many signings all at once, its going to take time for that new team to settle in, plus they have a load of new egos to contend with, is Lampard going to be able to handle that?

Yes I was joking mate.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,214 posts | 8569 
      Reply #56: Aug 28, 2020 03:18:40 pm
      The clause in the contract says 30th June, that date has passed therefore clubs either pay to get him now or wait until June 2021.

Coronavirus hit, season didn't end until after that date, so that probably won't apply this year.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #57: Aug 28, 2020 04:18:22 pm
      Barca are really in sh*t.   Will they return to be Real Madrid's whipping boys.  Messi leaving so is Suarez, Coutinho scoring in the wrong net and Dembele always injured.   :lmao: :lmao: 
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #58: Aug 28, 2020 05:18:41 pm
      Coronavirus hit, season didn't end until after that date, so that probably won't apply this year.

doesn't work like that, if there is a date in a contract then that trumps everything unless there is a specific clause to invalidate it, which I very much doubt.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #59: Aug 28, 2020 05:19:26 pm
      Barca are really in sh*t.   Will they return to be Real Madrid's whipping boys.  Messi leaving so is Suarez, Coutinho scoring in the wrong net and Dembele always injured.   :lmao: :lmao: 

in fairness they are getting rid of Suarez and Coutinho themselves. Messi will end up staying.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,428 posts | 3417 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #60: Aug 28, 2020 10:59:49 pm
      in fairness they are getting rid of Suarez and Coutinho themselves. Messi will end up staying.

Reckon coutinho will get another chance
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #61: Aug 28, 2020 11:09:34 pm
      doesn't work like that, if there is a date in a contract then that trumps everything unless there is a specific clause to invalidate it, which I very much doubt.

Was the transfer window open 26th June?
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #62: Aug 29, 2020 09:00:09 am
      Was the transfer window open 26th June?

Do you know much about Spanish law? You see my opinion on this is formed by reading an article by a sports lawyer who said that in Spain, same as in England, the date in a contract is the most important thing. In any case there was nothing to stop Messi from informing the club he wanted to leave before 26th June, the pandemic in that regard is irrelevant.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #63: Aug 29, 2020 12:31:11 pm
      Do you know much about Spanish law? You see my opinion on this is formed by reading an article by a sports lawyer who said that in Spain, same as in England, the date in a contract is the most important thing. In any case there was nothing to stop Messi from informing the club he wanted to leave before 26th June, the pandemic in that regard is irrelevant.

Ok but can see FIFA and CAS  being  involved especially if Man City are involved they can get away with Money Laundering this is a legitimate case. 

I think some sort of arrangement will be made.  First Barca need a little while to digest that their walls are crumbling then get some wallpaper and paste and then something will be sorted out.  Maybe like some have said a financial deal between the 3 parties.  That would be the fastest way to sort it out.

I think Messi and them will have an agreement when they have their first formal direct communication.  He is too big for them they will bow to him or come to some sort of an arrangement.   I hope this gets messi love to really see this go pair shaped  and go to the courts.   Long dragged out with Barca on their Knee's.
      « Last Edit: Aug 29, 2020 12:45:04 pm by king kenny »
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      Reply #64: Aug 29, 2020 01:00:03 pm
      I hope this gets messi love to really see this go pair shaped  and go to the courts.   Long dragged out with Barca on their Knee's.

That's one of the reasons I think that if he wants to leave, they'll let him. A long, drawn out public court case & keeping an unhappy Messi against his will would do a lot more damage to the club than simply letting him leave

Not to mention the taint on the legacy. He's their greatest ever player who played in their greatest ever era, so I'm sure Barcelona would want him back involved with the club in some context in the future. If he leaves under a cloud with relations between the two parties in tatters then that may not be able to happen
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #65: Aug 29, 2020 01:08:25 pm
      That's one of the reasons I think that if he wants to leave, they'll let him. A long, drawn out public court case & keeping an unhappy Messi against his will would do a lot more damage to the club than simply letting him leave

Not to mention the taint on the legacy. He's their greatest ever player who played in their greatest ever era, so I'm sure Barcelona would want him back involved with the club in some context in the future. If he leaves under a cloud with relations between the two parties in tatters then that may not be able to happen

I agree it makes no sense to take this to the courts for both parties.  But I can hope.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,214 posts | 8569 
      Reply #66: Aug 29, 2020 01:46:45 pm

What like our Nike kits!!  Date got moved.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #67: Aug 29, 2020 02:37:13 pm
      It's an arguable point of law isn't it, his choice to leave ran out at the end of their season but the date of that changed because of Corona so he's got a case to argue.

I don't know why he's doing it. He's been at Barca all his life but that'll mean f**k all if he goes. He's absolutely f**king minted and doesn't need the cash and I doubt it's because he 'wants a new challenge', a new villa in Dubai maybe.

I used to like Messi, I thought he was generally sound but over the last few years he's gradually turned into more of a spoilt little tart.

As a football fan I'd like to watch him in the premier League every week but as a person he's a bit of a C**t. I'm sure he won't lose any sleep about my opinion like.

If the contract says end of season he has an argument, if it specifies 26th June, he's fu**ed or at least someone is going to have to pay to get him.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #68: Aug 29, 2020 02:39:09 pm
      What like our Nike kits!!  Date got moved.

I think that was a bit more complex to be honest, normally a date Trump's everything else in a legal contract.

Quick Reply